Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Feb 2015, 01:38 (Ref:3500670)   #1801
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
lmao, the requirements for a Am in the Rolex 24 is 4hr30min.

Adler did 1hr54min, and Papadopoulos did 3hr39min.

That's not missing by a few minutes, did they just expect no one to notice?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 01:59 (Ref:3500674)   #1802
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
The only thing that's troubling to me is that the penalty for WTR was clearly described in the rule book, and yet... they decided after the fact to ignore it. That really bothers me.

-mike
This is the ONLY problem I have. Both infractions, however different, have the same penalty, yet one was rewritten after the fact and the other upheld.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 02:10 (Ref:3500677)   #1803
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

And yet it took IMSA only 9 days or so to announce this...
Old 4 Feb 2015, 02:25 (Ref:3500679)   #1804
johncho
Rookie

johncho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some other DNf'ers who didnt meet minimum drive times, that get more points than the 10 car?? Like the 0 deltawing and the 2 hpd? Hows that work?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 14:39 (Ref:3500847)   #1805
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncho View Post
There are some other DNf'ers who didnt meet minimum drive times, that get more points than the 10 car?? Like the 0 deltawing and the 2 hpd? Hows that work?
Because the penalty for violating max drive time is zero points. WTR got off easy. They broke a rule, so they get penalized.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 14:49 (Ref:3500851)   #1806
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncho View Post
That's funny, I've never thought of a DNF like that!

I prefer having a rule that you have to be running at the end of the race to collect points, that would make endurance a bigger part of the race.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3500864)   #1807
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That's funny, I've never thought of a DNF like that!

I prefer having a rule that you have to be running at the end of the race to collect points, that would make endurance a bigger part of the race.

But then it would be proper endurance racing, totally not 'murrican.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3500868)   #1808
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
But then it would be proper endurance racing, totally not 'murrican.
They do that sorta of lameness at Spa 24 as well
Old 4 Feb 2015, 16:59 (Ref:3500904)   #1809
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
What if a team is running at the end but finish behind a team who has DNF'ed but completed more laps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
They do that sorta of lameness at Spa 24 as well
They award 6H and 12H points but I'm pretty sure you have to finish the race to get 24H points.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 17:34 (Ref:3500913)   #1810
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Nah, that actually makes sense. Can't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
What if a team is running at the end but finish behind a team who has DNF'ed but completed more laps?
This is where a percentage of race finish rule comes in, right?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3500928)   #1811
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

I believe they may have thought that the drivers that did not meet minimum drive time would not score points, but the other drivers still would.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3500936)   #1812
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
This is where a percentage of race finish rule comes in, right?
Certainly true but what about those rare cases where a car DNFs with 30 min to go? Its competitor behind it finishes the race (let's say completes 85%+) but didn't have enough time to overtake them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I believe they may have thought that the drivers that did not meet minimum drive time would not score points, but the other drivers still would.
That makes sense.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 19:11 (Ref:3500947)   #1813
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Certainly true but what about those rare cases where a car DNFs with 30 min to go? Its competitor behind it finishes the race (let's say completes 85%+) but didn't have enough time to overtake them.
Wouldn't it be compared to the distance completed by class leader and not time, so the finishing order wouldn't change and if both complete 85%, both receive points in finishing order? Don't hit 85%, 0 points.

everyone should be gllad I don't run IMSA
Old 4 Feb 2015, 19:25 (Ref:3500956)   #1814
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
everyone should be gllad I don't run IMSA
It would be interesting if everyone here got to run a championship. That thing would crash and burn real quick. Sorta like that Todd Snider quote.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 19:37 (Ref:3500961)   #1815
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
It would be interesting if everyone here got to run a championship. That thing would crash and burn real quick. Sorta like that Todd Snider quote.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 20:06 (Ref:3500974)   #1816
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Beaux Barfield on MWM right now and Hindhaugh gets the BAR1/WTR questions straight in there, let's see what he says...

They apparently knew about WTR going over time during the race (which was perhaps not the case with BAR1), but there was unanimous agreement within the stewards' office that the penalty stated in the rules was too harsh. The discrepancy between BAR1 and WTR's sanctions was brushed off. The exact quote when asked how the other (P) teams would react was "...that's the decision and we're moving on from that." I'm getting the implication that because the length of WTR's violation was much shorter than BAR1's then IMSA felt discretion was necessary in the former.

Barfield says the sheer number of drivers involved in the race led to the decisions taking a long time. There are now plans to monitor this (driver time) in real-time with computer-aided systems.

Last edited by J Jay; 4 Feb 2015 at 20:19.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 21:01 (Ref:3500996)   #1817
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Beaux Barfield on MWM right now and Hindhaugh gets the BAR1/WTR questions straight in there, let's see what he says...

They apparently knew about WTR going over time during the race (which was perhaps not the case with BAR1), but there was unanimous agreement within the stewards' office that the penalty stated in the rules was too harsh. The discrepancy between BAR1 and WTR's sanctions was brushed off. The exact quote when asked how the other (P) teams would react was "...that's the decision and we're moving on from that." I'm getting the implication that because the length of WTR's violation was much shorter than BAR1's then IMSA felt discretion was necessary in the former.

Barfield says the sheer number of drivers involved in the race led to the decisions taking a long time. There are now plans to monitor this (driver time) in real-time with computer-aided systems.
They are two separate types of violation with separate circumstances/parameters. WTR is a pro class car with an overage of drive time. BAR1 is a AM class with a minimum time violation. They have changed the rule going forward for the P class.

Pit rules will be changed before Sebring as well!

L.P.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 21:31 (Ref:3501007)   #1818
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"There are now plans to monitor this (driver time) in real-time with computer-aided systems."

Again racing leads to technological leaps.

Seriously, these guys haven't figured out that one computer an do all the tracking and calculating that about two dozen people can do ... in a millisecond?

I guess we can accept that Beaux Barfield didn't have time to actually read the rules before the race started ... and I can see where the actual infractions shouldn't invalidate 23.7 hours of racing. I can even see (or at least imagine seeing) where the PC violation-not meeting min time--could be viewed as a different penalty from the #10's.

Please, TUSC, get it All right for Sebring. Please.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 22:40 (Ref:3501034)   #1819
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Then you should be told that your team did NOT do better than a DNF. Scoring (and points) should be based on laps completed. Period. Don't get me started on the skeletons that roll out of the garage at Le Mans during the last hour. It's pathetic. I don't even like the IMSA 70% rule. That team showed up and made the effort. If they finished DNF in 9th place then at least they tried. It's pretty safe to say that no rational being would start-and-park for IMSA's meager payouts.

The counter-argument is weak. How many times does a legitimately running race car finish behind a DNF?

Last edited by FLGTFAN; 4 Feb 2015 at 22:48.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 22:44 (Ref:3501035)   #1820
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
"Not understanding" is not the problem here. The second wave-by (LDWB) is for cars that wound up between the pace car and the overall leader, by simply not pitting when the lead lap cars do. Then after regaining a lap by taking the LDWB teams are allowed to pit before the yellow is ended.
How is this not a free lap back?
Excellent post. And the lack of responses is telling.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 23:14 (Ref:3501044)   #1821
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
"There are now plans to monitor this (driver time) in real-time with computer-aided systems."

Again racing leads to technological leaps.

Seriously, these guys haven't figured out that one computer an do all the tracking and calculating that about two dozen people can do ... in a millisecond?

I guess we can accept that Beaux Barfield didn't have time to actually read the rules before the race started ... and I can see where the actual infractions shouldn't invalidate 23.7 hours of racing. I can even see (or at least imagine seeing) where the PC violation-not meeting min time--could be viewed as a different penalty from the #10's.

Please, TUSC, get it All right for Sebring. Please.
He was re-appointed as IMSA's race director in September last year. He's also the person who's ultimately responsible for coming up with the sporting regulations and made/oversaw a couple of changes (being made) in the off season to said regs.

Draw your own conclusions from there...
Old 4 Feb 2015, 23:16 (Ref:3501045)   #1822
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
"Not understanding" is not the problem here. The second wave-by (LDWB) is for cars that wound up between the pace car and the overall leader, by simply not pitting when the lead lap cars do. Then after regaining a lap by taking the LDWB teams are allowed to pit before the yellow is ended.
How is this not a free lap back?
My point is it's not guaranteed that for every FCY you'll get a lap back (if you're down to your classes leader). There's no guarantee the leaders will pit on every FCY. And even if they do get the wave around, it's not guaranteed that you'll be able to pit yourself (when they open for everyone) and get back out and caught up to the pack before it goes green.

Clearly, you can make up laps over a race distance (especially the longer races) but it's not automatic. Personally, I think it's too easy to get laps back.. but that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
Excellent post. And the lack of responses is telling.
Telling of what? Why don't you educate us with your vast knowledge and add to the discussion instead of inflating your post count and bringing nothing to the conversation?

-mike
Old 4 Feb 2015, 23:39 (Ref:3501058)   #1823
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the point here is that often, if not always, cars can get a free lap by using the LDWB, and pretty much everyone thinks that sucks. I cannot think of any sport which gives away free points just because a team is losing. I don't really want TUSC racing to be the example.

Mr. Hedlund says "Personally, I think it's too easy to get laps back.. but that's neither here nor there." I disagree strongly. It is Here, and Right There.

The fact that (though it is only personal opinion) just about everyone one I have spoken with and every poster I have read holds that same opinion says that there really is something wrong here. I am not going to go all batsh!t about it, but the whole point seems to be that it is too easy to get laps back. As far as I understand racing, teams actually have to Race to get laps back ... except in TUSC. That's the whole point.

Now ... on to other points?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 23:57 (Ref:3501065)   #1824
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
NASCAR has a wave around system for cars one or more laps down, but it's contingent on pitting or not; if you pit, you can't use the wave around without getting a penalty, or if you don't pit, you can use the wave around, and have to gamble on a caution period to get back on sequence with the leaders.

I personally think that the way the rule's implemented in IMSA is easily understood, but there's quite a few posters of the opinion that it sucks anyways. IMO, pretty much end of story there--people who want to see a rule abolished because they don't like it.

Last edited by chernaudi; 5 Feb 2015 at 00:07.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 00:00 (Ref:3501067)   #1825
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Telling of what? Why don't you educate us with your vast knowledge and add to the discussion instead of inflating your post count and bringing nothing to the conversation?
I wasn't taking a shot at you, or at least wasn't trying to. I can see how you got that impression, so my apologies. My statement was intended for all those who support/defend the rule (duly noted that you don't necessarily do).