Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jun 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3982585)   #1876
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I've been Clerking / Stewarding / Radio Controller there for the last 20 or so years and still have problems coming to terms with the fact that from the Startline you are going up the wrong lane.

If you've not been, there are two lanes at the start, the right hand lane is the 'out' road and the left hand one is the 'return', you have to imagine you're in France!

Funny story: when they put the figure of eight in a few years ago, I was Clerking one of the first meetings to use it, I took the Stewards round for their inspection lap and when we got to it, none of us were sure which way to go, hopefully anyone watching just thought we were being thorough.
Do you know what? It never occurred to me that it was the “wrong lane”, and I hate driving abroad?
When I told David Patterson (the Curborough course secretary, aka “Mr Curborough”) about the C1 incident he said, “Oh, we wouldn’t recommend anyone used the figure of eight that way round, for that reason” Could of told me that before we did the day!!!! I don’t think I had even noticed the ditch beforehand as the grass in it was quite long, or I would have briefed the participants accordingly.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 11:18 (Ref:3982596)   #1877
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David is worth watching when he's competing @ Curborough particularly in his Boxster, he certainly knows his way round.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 12:32 (Ref:3982629)   #1878
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Never been to Curborough myself, but I know the East Midlands Section of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club regularly run sessions there each year - I keep promising that I'll scoot down the M6 to try it sometime
Old 18 Jun 2020, 13:48 (Ref:3982643)   #1879
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's very tight and twisty, if you want to really stretch the legs of a car, come down the M6 a little bit further to MIRA and really scare yourself
Old 18 Jun 2020, 14:05 (Ref:3982648)   #1880
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Curborough video courtesy of Bad Obsession Motorsport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XScKVAnyLY0

It illustrates various configurations and contains some rather nice historic rally cars.

For them what's interested.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 15:21 (Ref:3982661)   #1881
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Curborough video courtesy of Bad Obsession Motorsport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XScKVAnyLY0

It illustrates various configurations and contains some rather nice historic rally cars.

For them what's interested.
Thanks Grant. Some interesting stuff on display, although it may be worth saying for those that are trying to work out the track configuration that the video only shows the cars using the top loop and starting from the paddock entrance rather than starting from the sprint course start line which adds another 200-300 yards on to the course. Using the full start/ finish lane means that you enter the first corner and the molehill chicane that much faster!

This link may help people orientate themselves:
https://www.curborough.co.uk/curborough-course-layout/

Last edited by andy97; 18 Jun 2020 at 15:29.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 15:50 (Ref:3982668)   #1882
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was down at that start line once, and a top line sprinter was at the clubbie event testing his GAA engined March. A 762 I think it was. Very hairy beast. He dropped the clutch and I swear it was like something from Billy Whizz in the Beano - it curled itself up, jumped in the air, uncoiled and shot off like a scalded cat. Only a few seconds later he was back at the end if his run. This shaking hand came out of the cockpit, grabbed a fag from his mechanic and flipped up the black visor on his black Star Wars helmet. This very, very white face dragged on the cigarette and all he could say was "****ing hell" for minutes afterwards

Can't remember the guy's name, West Countryman, went on to win the championship so clearly got it sorted.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 18 Jun 2020, 15:55 (Ref:3982669)   #1883
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I was down at that start line once, and a top line sprinter was at the clubbie event testing his GAA engined March. A 762 I think it was. Very hairy beast. He dropped the clutch and I swear it was like something from Billy Whizz in the Beano - it curled itself up, jumped in the air, uncoiled and shot off like a scalded cat. Only a few seconds later he was back at the end if his run. This shaking hand came out of the cockpit, grabbed a fag from his mechanic and flipped up the black visor on his black Star Wars helmet. This very, very white face dragged on the cigarette and all he could say was "****ing hell" for minutes afterwards

Can't remember the guy's name, West Countryman, went on to win the championship so clearly got it sorted.

Roy Lane?

I do think that hill climbers and sprinters are barking mad for threading F1 and Indy engined single seaters up and through very narrow ribbons of tarmac.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 21:18 (Ref:3982720)   #1884
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No it wasn't Roy.

That's a whole new story, how he managed to launch "our" driver's M10B nose cone across the paddock at Gurston Down like a torpedo!

EDIT - I've dragged the name Nigel Bigwood out of my brain. Some internet research says he competed in the sprint championship in a March 76A/78A-Cosworth GAA so that's the one. I also found a funeral notice that appears to match from 2005, aged only 50. Such a shame.

Last edited by midgetman; 18 Jun 2020 at 21:29.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 21:24 (Ref:3982721)   #1885
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Keep going, Max, these stories are priceless.
Old 18 Jun 2020, 21:50 (Ref:3982723)   #1886
midgetman
Veteran

Well, you make me feel like Uncle Albert in "Only Fools & Horses."

"During the war...." Actually come to think of it these stories are the same sort of age as Albert's stories were in the 90s.

So about 70/71 - I was genuinely a young kid - my dad helped a guy called Jonty Williamson who lived locally. After winning the Sprint Championship in an ex-Rindt Cooper Maserati fitted with a Chrysler engine he bought a McLaren M10B. At Gurston, on the downhill section away from the start he had a minor off when the throttle stuck. Back in the paddock they fixed it, Roy wandered over and jumped in - "Is it working then?" Accelerate hard up the paddock, brake hard, but we hadn't secured the nose cone which flew off and slid all the way across the farmyard with those nose wings just waiting to take the ankles away from anyone who happened to walk by.

I grew up racing with Jonty. I regularly went to Silverstone in Sam Clutton's 1908 Itala which was stored in his garage. He raced the 1925 (?) land speed record holding Delage and one of the ERAs. I suppose the VSCC was part of my life which is why I love pre-War stuff so much.

Old 18 Jun 2020, 21:58 (Ref:3982724)   #1887
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
No it wasn't Roy.

That's a whole new story, how he managed to launch "our" driver's M10B nose cone across the paddock at Gurston Down like a torpedo!

EDIT - I've dragged the name Nigel Bigwood out of my brain. Some internet research says he competed in the sprint championship in a March 76A/78A-Cosworth GAA so that's the one. I also found a funeral notice that appears to match from 2005, aged only 50. Such a shame.

I asked a sprinting and hillclimb afficiando I know and he came up with name Nigel Bigwood too.
Old 19 Jun 2020, 06:38 (Ref:3982751)   #1888
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Keep going, Max, these stories are priceless.
I'll second that!
Old 19 Jun 2020, 07:28 (Ref:3982754)   #1889
St Eval
Rookie

St Eval should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Nigel Bogwood maybe, he had a GAA engined March, that did exactly that. Typical wacky racers, wind the coil up and let it go.

Roy

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Old 19 Jun 2020, 08:58 (Ref:3982759)   #1890
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I have been sent a photo of Nigel Bigwood and his March which I would like to post; I have been on tenths years but don’t know how to do that, can anyone advise please.
Thanks
Old 19 Jun 2020, 09:01 (Ref:3982761)   #1891
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Go advanced and then manage attachments.
Old 19 Jun 2020, 10:31 (Ref:3982763)   #1892
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not difficult to post pictures go to Baubles Picture Parade about page 160 to 169 and Bauble gives instructions on how to post pictures ( or pm Bauble ).
Old 19 Jun 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3982764)   #1893
Tim Barry
Racer

United Kingdom
Rainham, Kent, UK
Tim Barry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it was Nigel Bigwood who had the ex-Chris Cramer F5000 March 76A. He ran it with 782 bodywork and front radiator. My brother, Tony, bought the car with my late father, John, in 1983 and we've raced it ever since. Or rather we did until I crashed it at the Gold Cup in 2014.
Old 19 Jun 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3982766)   #1894
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
It's not difficult to post pictures go to Baubles Picture Parade about page 160 to 169 and Bauble gives instructions on how to post pictures ( or pm Bauble ).

Page 167, or to be specific this link following should go straight to the post referenced.... :
https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2492
Old 19 Jun 2020, 13:44 (Ref:3982778)   #1895
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Blimey! Famous at last!
Old 19 Jun 2020, 13:49 (Ref:3982779)   #1896
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:

The aforementioned Nigel Bigwood and his GAA engined March 76A/782:

Click image for larger version

Name:	532E9BAE-20D0-40DE-AC26-2152E1DA56BF.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	62179

Thanks for the help with the attachment advice.

Last edited by andy97; 19 Jun 2020 at 13:57.
Old 19 Jun 2020, 14:19 (Ref:3982781)   #1897
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The aforementioned Nigel Bigwood and his GAA engined March 76A/782:

Attachment 62179

Thanks for the help with the attachment advice.
Congratulations you are now authorised to add pictures to the Picture Parade.
Old 19 Jun 2020, 15:45 (Ref:3982799)   #1898
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colin me and Gordon. Brands Hatch test. June.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	62186
Brilliant test today at Brands Hatch. We even had a visitor.2 meter distance picture
Old 19 Jun 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3982801)   #1899
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 19 Jun 2020, 16:45 (Ref:3982806)   #1900
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Closed Thread