Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Oct 2012, 00:22 (Ref:3156151)   #176
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Thanks. Looks like a support series, not something that should be in a top level Pro series. That should be the headlining class for the Conti series. Should make for some good racing though. Man I hope they kill the Prep 2 rules for the GT class.
EDIT: Wasn't GX supposed to be for exciting new technologies? Ford Focus??? Chevy Cruze??? Meh...
I think there is good and bad in that list... A series with Hyundai Genesis, Nissan 370Z, Porsche Cayman, BMW 1, Camaro, Mustang, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Audi TT, Lotus Evora That I think is a strong list... the rest... meh, and agree just don't belong.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 01:00 (Ref:3156173)   #177
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Obviously wants to get one model in their from every possible manufacturer (I didn't see SmartCar on the list; maybe on the next update.)

I like the GTO/GTU concept, but No Tubers Allowed. ig the best teams in racing can't make your car fast enough, it isn't a race car.

Next we will see tube-frame minivans and SUVs, or whatever other market segment the manufacturers want to push. Rolex Truck Racing, anyone?
Old 23 Oct 2012, 01:28 (Ref:3156186)   #178
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Obviously wants to get one model in their from every possible manufacturer (I didn't see SmartCar on the list; maybe on the next update.)

I like the GTO/GTU concept, but No Tubers Allowed. ig the best teams in racing can't make your car fast enough, it isn't a race car.

Next we will see tube-frame minivans and SUVs, or whatever other market segment the manufacturers want to push. Rolex Truck Racing, anyone?
It's Grand Am... they are going to allow Tube frames.

If they are going to have two classes, my opinion is that the secondary class shouldn't have the same cars as the primary. The secondary class should have lesser cars. Grand AM GT with 458, 911's... it's confusing to the fans...
Old 23 Oct 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3156193)   #179
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But it devalues the series having grocery getter, economy cars going up against true aspirational GT super cars. Ferrari was resistant to this with Grand Am the first time around. As I said, that class is a perfect fit for the Continental Series and should provide some good racing. They have no place on the track at the same time with Prototypes IMO. Rob Dyson, Duncan Dayton, Patrick Dempsey, and Greg Pickett I am sure are voicing this very stance in the meetings. Sadly it will fall upon deaf ears. It is insulting to think fans will not realize these are not based on the street version. As Maelochs says, if the car cannot compete on its' own merit it has no business being a race car in the top series. This isn't GT4...
Sorry for being a broken record, extremely frustrated.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 02:43 (Ref:3156215)   #180
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
We are likely to be running with DP's as the first Prototype category, and LMP-C's as the second... and we are concerned that Caymans, 370Zs, Camaros, Mustangs etc. devalue the series?
Old 23 Oct 2012, 04:05 (Ref:3156229)   #181
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spec-Chassis Balanced-Performance Car Racing—"The ScabPicker series presented by Rolex."

Has about the same ring as “DPs as the top prototype class.”

This is really going to suck--the one time I can say "I told you so " might be when I predicted that things would be worse with this "merger" than anyone could every have imagined.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3156236)   #182
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if this merger doesn't produce racing that teams are happy with, we're going to end up back where we started as another series will pop up.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 04:34 (Ref:3156238)   #183
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
We are likely to be running with DP's as the first Prototype category, and LMP-C's as the second... and we are concerned that Caymans, 370Zs, Camaros, Mustangs etc. devalue the series?
It goes from bad to worse. If all this is true let's hope it dies a quick death.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 04:40 (Ref:3156239)   #184
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But it devalues the series having grocery getter, economy cars going up against true aspirational GT super cars. Ferrari was resistant to this with Grand Am the first time around. As I said, that class is a perfect fit for the Continental Series and should provide some good racing. They have no place on the track at the same time with Prototypes IMO. Rob Dyson, Duncan Dayton, Patrick Dempsey, and Greg Pickett I am sure are voicing this very stance in the meetings. Sadly it will fall upon deaf ears. It is insulting to think fans will not realize these are not based on the street version. As Maelochs says, if the car cannot compete on its' own merit it has no business being a race car in the top series. This isn't GT4...
Old 23 Oct 2012, 06:40 (Ref:3156267)   #185
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
love the jaf gt300 great looking and relatively fast cars, but g.a. will probably run some ****ed up tube framers in gx, no way in hell they will allow such awesome looking vehicles (too much development. too much speed. too awesome for G.A. gx class or grand am in general).
and remember, we are talking about a championship (the "merger") with deltawing, dp class, lmp2, gt, and gx touring cars, potentially. what a ******* mess that would be.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3156343)   #186
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Did this thread just turn into the ALMS G.A. merger discussion?
Old 23 Oct 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3156504)   #187
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thread got locked, remember? Looks like the users just hijacked this thread to continue the discussion.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 16:11 (Ref:3156558)   #188
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Did this thread just turn into the ALMS G.A. merger discussion?
I actually did think this was the other thread oops

The actual GA/ALMS merger thread is NOT locked.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3156567)   #189
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
I actually did think this was the other thread oops

The actual GA/ALMS merger thread is NOT locked.

It has been reopened.

L.P.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3156569)   #190
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank god. Will the mods move the merger posts that ended up here to there?
Old 23 Oct 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3156577)   #191
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
They were going to have to do this at some point, since the GT3s were developing enough to have similar pace and times as GTEs. Would they or someone else make a lower, but internationally known class, like a GT3.5?
They need to get rid of GTE-am give GTE a little more leash and make GT-3 the sub class at Le Mans, etc... Make them GT-1 and GT-2 then we can have another 8-10 years before the next major re-set.

L.P.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3156578)   #192
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
They need to get rid of GTE-am give GTE a little more leash and make GT-3 the sub class at Le Mans, etc... Make them GT-1 and GT-2 then we can have another 8-10 years before the next major re-set.
L.P.
I Agree.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 16:44 (Ref:3156581)   #193
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Did the Golf GT24 going for top 10s devalue the 24hours at the 'Ring? Or the 1 series Bimmer that came home in 8th some years ago?

And no, it wouldn't be a perfect fit for Conti either, as Conti features cars that are above the GX cars in the market place. I'd rather have a Ford Focus racing with, but being beaten by Porsches/Ferraris, etc, then the highly tuned Focus beating out the base Aston/Porsche in GS.

Ah, and Dempsey is likely to field a pair of GX Mazdas next year, so I doubt he has too many objections against that. Even Rob Dyson supported a move to a GTO and U style of format for the production based ranks - and old GTU used to include its share of grocery getters as well, so I doubt that's much to him either.

Actually, I doubt it makes much of a difference for any prototype or GT owner if there cars are passing Cup-Porsches or Focuses (should anyone ever build one, which is a whole different story.)
Old 23 Oct 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3156590)   #194
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
What do you about National GT racing though? Leave it GT3? I can see everyone staying with GT3 if that were the case because they can run the national championships and Le Mans if they get an entry.

I guess whatever rules they choose there will be benefits and disadvantages. But i love your idea to go back to 2 classes, i would be well up for watching that.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3156594)   #195
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
What do you about National GT racing though? Leave it GT3? I can see everyone staying with GT3 if that were the case because they can run the national championships and Le Mans if they get an entry.

I guess whatever rules they choose there will be benefits and disadvantages. But i love your idea to go back to 2 classes, i would be well up for watching that.
Yes the smaller national series stay with GT-3 as the top. Le Mans, ELMS, ALMS/GARRA, WEC, etc.. could include the GTE cars.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 23 Oct 2012 at 17:51.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 17:47 (Ref:3156597)   #196
Maelochs
Veteran

Given the perennial tech creep, GT4 will be like the original GT3 cars by 2015.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3156628)   #197
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Given the perennial tech creep, GT4 will be like the original GT3 cars by 2015.
Rear wings had sprouted on the M3s and Aston Martins later on in life. Would not be surprised if you your prediction comes to fruition.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3156659)   #198
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Are the grand am prep cars all built on Riley chassis, or are there other chassis makers involved? Can an independent team build their own?
Old 23 Oct 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3156666)   #199
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Are the grand am prep cars all built on Riley chassis, or are there other chassis makers involved? Can an independent team build their own?

What does that have to do with the FIA/ACO proposal?

L.P.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3156669)   #200
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another attempt to hijack the thread!