Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 2 Dec 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3339413)   #176
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That definitelly is a GT not a LMP, you can judge by the sound but they say its a F1 2014 engine.

Video of that shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3H6Jxisfk
Old 2 Dec 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3339449)   #177
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I figured it was obvious theyre engine testing in their La Ferrari. More than likely the F1 engine for next year.
Old 2 Dec 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3339462)   #178
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given the potential for getting something wrong with the 2014 engines in both F1 and Prototypes (i.e. someone else figures out a better mousetrap right out of the gate and it is not you), I can't imagine Ferrari would be spending any resources toward two engine programs (even if they would share a great deal).

Given that they are not setting the world on fire in F1, I expect they are focused 100% on the 2014 F1 engine and chassis right now. Then... If all goes well in 2014, they "might" entertain a prototype program. Even then, I just don't see it happening (as cool as it might be).

I also agree that F1 testing regulations is a prime driver, but if you want to go back even further in the history books, remember that Porsche first road tested the V6 turbo TAG/McLaren F1 engine in a 956 (much to the chagrin of McLaren).

Richard
Old 2 Dec 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3339471)   #179
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Given the potential for getting something wrong with the 2014 engines in both F1 and Prototypes (i.e. someone else figures out a better mousetrap right out of the gate and it is not you), I can't imagine Ferrari would be spending any resources toward two engine programs (even if they would share a great deal).

Given that they are not setting the world on fire in F1, I expect they are focused 100% on the 2014 F1 engine and chassis right now. Then... If all goes well in 2014, they "might" entertain a prototype program. Even then, I just don't see it happening (as cool as it might be).

I also agree that F1 testing regulations is a prime driver, but if you want to go back even further in the history books, remember that Porsche first road tested the V6 turbo TAG/McLaren F1 engine in a 956 (much to the chagrin of McLaren).

Richard
There was even a 911 with the same v6 turbo. It's in the mclaren techcenter. They just don't want you taking pictures of it. So here are 2:

Old 2 Dec 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3339487)   #180
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
There was even a 911 with the same v6 turbo. It's in the mclaren techcenter. They just don't want you taking pictures of it. So here are 2:
Thanks! I didn't know that. Do you know the history on that car? Was it used for actual testing, or was it maybe a gift at some point from Porsche to McLaren to celebrate their partnership? My understanding is that the 956 actually didn't work out very well as a test mule, or maybe rather the TAG F1 engine didn't work well in the 956!

Richard
Old 5 Dec 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3340397)   #181
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Maybe there finally is some substance to the rumour:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111742
Old 5 Dec 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3340406)   #182
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Starting to look like the late '90s again. Me gusta!
Old 5 Dec 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3340409)   #183
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's very non-commital statement but it is not a denial.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 12:30 (Ref:3340410)   #184
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whether anything comes of it or not, the fact LMP1 is on Ferrari's radar is a massive thumbs up to the new regulations.

As Mike says, it's nothing committal but with Ferrari, any denial is absolutely huge. These are the same noises Nissan were making about a year ago - which has recently changed to something much more firm for 2015.

It's also reassuring that this story comes from Autosport. That magazine takes a lot of criticism, often rightly so, but it's incredibly reliable.

I'm not getting ahead of myself. Chances are we won't see an LMP1 car painted in that famous red colour in this rules cycle. But it's no longer acceptable to hold the position that it's definitely not going to happen.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3340413)   #185
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote (Emphasis added): Antonello Coletta, who heads up the Italian manufacturer's non-F1 sporting activities ... did not rule out an entry with a Ferrari-built chassis and the F1 turbocharged V6 into the World Endurance Championship at some undetermined point in the future.

"It is normal that Ferrari should screen all opportunities and stand at the window and look in" Coletta told AUTOSPORT. "It is important for us to understand what is available in the future.'

But Coletta stressed that there were no immediate plans for Ferrari to mount its first factory prototype campaign since 1973.

"At the moment we are concentrated on F1, so it would not be possible to do something else," he explained.
-------------------------------------------------------

Translation: "It is important that we investigate the aerial action of porcine quadrupeds, and the timing of such events, and it seems that this other thing might come to pass should these porcine aerial events also occur.

"Yes, I will give you seemingly juicy but actually empty quotes for your article, Mr. Writer. I understand you need to file for a deadline and have no other ideas.

"I can state with absolute honesty that our company is aware of this 'LMP1' class of racing vehicles, and that it is not impossible that our policy regarding them might completely reverse from having Zero Interest to actually having some slight interest, possibly when the aforementioned porcine aviators reach the suddenly frozen tundra of a once-flaming purgatorial region."

In the immortal words of the apocryphal New York cop, "Move along folks. Nothing to see here."

Last edited by Maelochs; 5 Dec 2013 at 12:50.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3340415)   #186
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
However much i would love this to happen, i can't help but remember the last time Ferrari mentioned Le Mans in the Top Class. They mentioned it ( along with Indycar ) to put pressure on the FIA and F1 in general to get their own way. The timing is ironic, as this morning in the F1 Forum, i see Ferrari are arguing for changes to the F1 engine rules because their engine isn't very economical. I really hope to be wrong, and next year sees an anouncement for P1.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3340420)   #187
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, it's that time again; what do Ferrari want the FIA to do now?
Old 5 Dec 2013, 15:03 (Ref:3340473)   #188
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Translation: "It is important that we investigate the aerial action of porcine quadrupeds, and the timing of such events, and it seems that this other thing might come to pass should these porcine aerial events also occur.

"Yes, I will give you seemingly juicy but actually empty quotes for your article, Mr. Writer. I understand you need to file for a deadline and have no other ideas.

"I can state with absolute honesty that our company is aware of this 'LMP1' class of racing vehicles, and that it is not impossible that our policy regarding them might completely reverse from having Zero Interest to actually having some slight interest, possibly when the aforementioned porcine aviators reach the suddenly frozen tundra of a once-flaming purgatorial region."

In the immortal words of the apocryphal New York cop, "Move along folks. Nothing to see here."
Old 5 Dec 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3340483)   #189
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Oh, it's that time again; what do Ferrari want the FIA to do now?
This was the quote i saw;

What little information we have been privy to is that it appears that Ferrari are a little wide of the mark in terms of their fuel consumption targets, even moving to have the 100KG limit per race lifted. Renault were the largest opposer to a moving of the goalposts with an additional 20kg's of fuel touted as the figure requested by Ferrari. It's widely regarded that Mercedes are also very marginal in their race simulations and so were sitting on the fence during discussions.

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...-turbo-at.html
Old 10 Dec 2013, 01:31 (Ref:3342192)   #190
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 to introduce budget cap in 2015
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111798
This new rules could put Ferrari in LMP1 with the rest of the current budget.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 01:54 (Ref:3342196)   #191
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see budget cap because it saves small teams. But I don't believe Ferrari can produce a competitive P1 chassis. 333SP is the project of Dallara, and 312P was fifty years or so ago IMO
Old 10 Dec 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3342200)   #192
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Even 333 would be too long ago to worth anything now anyway. If you can build a competitive F1 car (or even not so competitive; Toyota), you can probably build a competive LMP1.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 02:02 (Ref:3342203)   #193
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Good to see budget cap because it saves small teams. But I don't believe Ferrari can produce a competitive P1 chassis. 333SP is the project of Dallara, and 312P was fifty years or so ago IMO
The 333SP was the dream of Giampiero Moretti of MOMO fame. Not sure there is a supporter with the passion like him alive today that wants to see this happen like he did.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3342205)   #194
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Even 333 would be too long ago to worth anything now anyway. If you can build a competitive F1 car (or even not so competitive; Toyota), you can probably build a competive LMP1.
Ferrari uses Toyota's windtunnel. As does McLaren and numerous other racing teams for competition or validating their own tunnel's. Pretty sure Toyotas cars were competitive just not winners. No doubt ferrari can build an lmp1 that would compete well.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3344248)   #195
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/fer...mily-christmas

"Continued development in the GT world and the technology transfer to road cars has always been an integral part of our activity. We have won with the 458 GTE, but I also quite like the idea of racing at Le Mans in the highest category: who knows, maybe one day we can return and win, say thanks and come home. Maybe we should give it some serious consideration…"
Old 15 Dec 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3344267)   #196
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I get tired of Ferrari. Join LMP1 or stop talking about it.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 15:12 (Ref:3344302)   #197
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I get tired of Ferrari. Join LMP1 or stop talking about it.
Same story with Nissan. Maybe they should collaborate on a press release campaign about thinking of P1, you know to keep development costs down.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 01:18 (Ref:3344435)   #198
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Ferrari have to build a new engine or can they use the F1 V6 engine in prototypes?
Old 16 Dec 2013, 01:58 (Ref:3344436)   #199
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Would Ferrari have to build a new engine or can they use the F1 V6 engine in prototypes?
F1 V6 is unlikely to last long enough for endurance racing (even with longer engine-life requirements). There are probably enough differences in the engine regulations to make such a venture very expensive (in addition to F1 engines already costing a fortune). They would also have to modify the ECU and whatnot for different hybrid systems, assuming they can't use the F1 system in LMP1.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 06:49 (Ref:3344459)   #200
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eventhough they cant use the F1 engine directly, surely the coutless hours of engine development put into the new generation F1 engines would be applicable in development of a LMP1 engine, they are similar enough to directly benefit from each other.