Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 3 Nov 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2981257)   #176
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i sort of remember it being the chassis as well that let Kimi down for those years. Mclaren were in shambles from 2002 to 2006
Isn't it ironic, that these cars were designed by....... drum roll please .......... Adrian Newey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Clouds of smoke and steam usually gave the game away.
How could you Marbot, you never seen an electrical short???
Old 3 Nov 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2981261)   #177
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i sort of remember it being the chassis as well that let Kimi down for those years. the MP4-18 which never raced, the use of the improved prior year MP4-17d as a replacement, the MP4-19, and the 20 were all pants.
The MP4-20 was a sensational chassis, just a bit fragile. I couldn't understand why McLaren didn't just iron out the bugs with it and run a 'C' or 'D' version in 2006 rather than that dog they did run....

After all they had a worse car in 2002 and decided to persevere the following year and it darn well nearly won the title.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2981268)   #178
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
After all they had a worse car in 2002 and decided to persevere the following year and it darn well nearly won the title.
Ah, but that was because of the sensational driver!
Old 4 Nov 2011, 02:47 (Ref:2981323)   #179
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Norbert Haug has put his hand up to that one, so I think it's a reasonable assumption to make.
I'm not saying that reliability didn't cost kimi, it did. But he also made a couple of mistakes (as every driver does) that counted towards him not winning the title.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 11:32 (Ref:2981413)   #180
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I still think it was mostly Mercedes, but it's academic now. Kimi didn't win the titles. He's a once-only champion, whereas if he had won three peoples' perception of him would be very different. C'est la vie!
Old 4 Nov 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2981527)   #181
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Williams close to announcing Raikkonen as driver, apparently.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...aikkonen-deal/
Old 4 Nov 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2981571)   #182
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
I still think it was mostly Mercedes, but it's academic now. Kimi didn't win the titles. He's a once-only champion, whereas if he had won three peoples' perception of him would be very different. C'est la vie!
Some generalisation, I'd have called him lucky...

If you think of 3 time WDC that have graced F1, you have Fangio, Brabham, Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Prost, Senna and Schumi.
I don't believe that Brabham, Stewart, Piquet or Prost get the respect that the others do.
Fangio and Schumi obviously being multiple winners are statistically the best. Lauda survived his accident, Senna because he was cut down before his time.

Even the 2 consecutive title winners, seeing as the media hyped this up this year, Ascari, Fangio, Brabham, Prost, Senna, Schumi, Hakkinen, Alonso and now Vettel.

People's perception of drivers is very different despite their success quota, not because of it.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2981598)   #183
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Whatever.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2981602)   #184
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
If the comeback does come to fruition it'll probably be similar to Alan Jones' comeback with Haas. Its potential for success maybe more idealistic than realistic but there's nothing to lose in the deal really. I'm not too hopeful myself but if both Kimi and Williams are up for it - why not? Jones reputation survived his comeback and as for Williams the only way is up.
Old 5 Nov 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2981901)   #185
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Williams close to announcing Raikkonen as driver, apparently.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...aikkonen-deal/
Now if William's can give him a decent car then we could be in for an interesting season next year..

I am happy because I will get to see six WDC racing at Austin....
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2982541)   #186
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Whatever.
Your responses are sadly too predictable...
Old 7 Nov 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2982710)   #187
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Closer.....

“Yes, it is true that we are in talks with Kimi Räikkönen,” Wolff explained to Kronen Zeitung. “This is not a publicity stunt – we are in very serious discussions.”

They are also in touch with Sutil.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...ikkonen-talks/

Also:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...icali-repeats/

So, not many seats left.

Last edited by Marbot; 7 Nov 2011 at 11:57.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2982900)   #188
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/274881.html
Quote:
Montezemolo pleased over talks about Räikkönen's comeback

Turun Sanomat 7.11.2011 21:51:28

di Montezemelo also talked about the Williams-news in Ferrari's PR-event. Mike Coughlin from year 2007 spygate is coming back to F1 as Williams technical manager. Kimi Räikkönen again is thinking about a comeback as Williams driver.

– Coughlin's comeback is a scandal. He is not missed. F1 doesn't seem to lose any opportunity to make themself laughable, di Montezemolo says in La Stampa -magazine.

– But unlike Coughlin, Räikkönen's possible comeback puts me in a good mood. Kimi is a very sympathetic guy although I could never really communicate with him. There are drivers who have the flame of speed burning inside of them - like for example Jean Alesi, who next year goes to drive Indy500, di Montezemolo said.

Turun Sanomat, Rooma

PERTTI LEPISTÖ
Old 8 Nov 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2983157)   #189
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Aslong as Luca's happy

haha

Selby
Old 8 Nov 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2983190)   #190
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jean Alesi ???
Old 8 Nov 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2983194)   #191
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Jean Alesi ???
Yeah. Jean Alesi. Never ought to have gone to Ferrari in the first place. Should have gone to Williams. Ironically, Williams were just getting better as Ferrari were just going bad. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2983244)   #192
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yup gotta agree with Marbot on this driver! Alesi was a bloody quick driver, but a bit of a rock ape as well.

Not a complete package as a driver by any means but still plenty good enough to have won a title or two had he made the right decision.

However I suspect Bon might be referring to the Indy 500 bit!

What still rankles me is the way Schu mugged him at Nurby 1995.... great move into the chicane and all that but Jean should have had that covered. Mind you Schu was on a mission and that could be another one to add to my 'gobsmacked' list!
Old 8 Nov 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2983259)   #193
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

However I suspect Bon might be referring to the Indy 500 bit!
Alesi is a 'racer', and actually reminds me of Hamilton in many ways. His heart ruling his head on many occasions.

I always felt a little bit sorry for Alesi. The Ferrari must have let him down a dozen or more times when we all thought he had the race won.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2983274)   #194
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah. Jean Alesi. Never ought to have gone to Ferrari in the first place. Should have gone to Williams. Ironically, Williams were just getting better as Ferrari were just going bad. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.
To be fair to the man, when he signed for Williams in mid 1990, Ferrari were fighting for the championship.
Williams won races but were not fighting with Ferrari and Mclaren and certainly didn't seem to be about to become the pace-setters.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2983282)   #195
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Alesi is a 'racer', and actually reminds me of Hamilton in many ways. His heart ruling his head on many occasions.

I always felt a little bit sorry for Alesi. The Ferrari must have let him down a dozen or more times when we all thought he had the race won.
So Alesi will be racing at Indy 500 ! And Montezemolo gave us the news ! Awesome !
Old 8 Nov 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2983309)   #196
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
So Alesi will be racing at Indy 500 ! And Montezemolo gave us the news ! Awesome !
I think it's been fairly well known for quite a while. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95530

The concern is that he doesn't seem to think he needs much if any preparation beforehand. Remember what happened to Nelson Piquet.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2983333)   #197
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
I think it's been fairly well known for quite a while. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95530

The concern is that he doesn't seem to think he needs much if any preparation beforehand. Remember what happened to Nelson Piquet.
That was exactly what I thought at first !
Old 9 Nov 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2983538)   #198
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutise...ms-neuvottelut
Quote:
Räikkönen confirms negotiations with Williams

09.11.2011 12:48

Kimi Räikkönen admits that he has negotiated with Williams.

Räikkönen says that they have had negotiations but that they don't have any kind of contract.

Räikkönen is calm over a possible F1-comeback. When asked if he would feel nervous to come back, Räikkönen replied that he has been racing for the most part of his life and hence is not nervous.

But he felt more nervous when going to rally. Räikkönen reminds that in the F1-circus everything is basically the same and familiar, just like it was when he was there.

More about Räikkönen's thoughts in tonight's Tulosruutu! (22.30 Finnish time)
Old 9 Nov 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2983579)   #199
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Yes, this is old news. I think it's a very ill thought out move and I'm fearful for Jean's well being should he go through with it. The days when a 46 year old could come out of retirement for a one off Indy 500 jaunt and be successful are long past.

Off topic I know.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2983644)   #200
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Yes, this is old news. I think it's a very ill thought out move and I'm fearful for Jean's well being should he go through with it. The days when a 46 year old could come out of retirement for a one off Indy 500 jaunt and be successful are long past.

Off topic I know.
Were Alesi attempting a comeback any other single seater series, or even any other race in the Indy series I'd probably agree. However Indy is flat for four laps in qualifying with a well trimmed car and a decent driver, is a lot "safer" with the new barriers all around, and plenty of drivers older than 46 have done rather well there.

I know it's a long shot, high on publicity value, but let's see how he gets on, if indeed it happens.
Closed Thread