Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Nov 2015, 10:22 (Ref:3594155)   #176
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it is unfortunate that we have lost two potentially race-winning cars. Toyota must be happy.

But what are the other implications?

It does not take a huge leap of imagination to see one of the VAG teams being forced to pull out of the series. This will surely focus the ACO's attention on the privateer problem and give Rebellion and ByKolles some bargaining power.

There are 5 (6 if you count Hulk) world class drivers in the market looking for a Le Mans ride. We have already seen Audi and Nissan loaning LMP1 drivers to LMP2 teams. How about an Audi driver sharing the Audi-supported Garage 56 entry with Fred Sausset and Christophe Tinseau?

This is on top of Porsche's GTE Pro crews looking somewhat under utilised.

Could be some interesting car/driver combinations in those 58 garages.
Old 29 Nov 2015, 10:44 (Ref:3594162)   #177
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is very true Mike E - so much talent without a seat right now.

Not a good year to be a Porsche factory driver in that sense - but I think things will pick up again for 2017 and I'd expect both VAG teams to return to 3 cars.

I think this is more a token gesture from the group - making a nod to the emissions issue while continuing to spend millions.

I did wonder initially whether we'll see a shadow works effort for one of the teams to try and fool the public. But this looks more like a gentleman's agreement between the two sides so I'm not sure that's on the cars. No way an R18 or 919 Hybrid can run without significant factory input.

Finally I think it's sad that seemingly none of the talented guys who tested the LMP1s recently looks like they'll get any form of race seat next year. That would have been a really nice story and kept the momentum going.

Of course if Toyota turn up with a competitive package next year this will all be forgotten.

Last edited by Simmi; 29 Nov 2015 at 10:49.
Old 29 Nov 2015, 12:01 (Ref:3594173)   #178
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed on the tokenism of dropping to two cars.
There is already talk of Proton stepping up to GTE Pro, and that is a program that could get works support in the form of a driver loan.
Old 29 Nov 2015, 13:45 (Ref:3594183)   #179
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I agree that it's a PR gesture more than anything. Do we have any figures on how much it costs to run the third car - drivers, crew, parts all have their price but compared to the outlay in developing building the first two I would be surprised if it was more than 10% of the total budget. I'd be surprised if it significantly hastened the departure of a VAG team though, if the scandal rumbles onto late next year then it maybe two cars again but otherwise I think both teams will be back to three in 2017.

But it suits factories to have more drivers than seats, so I don't see much of a problem for their current drivers (for example, Vanthoor will surely stick with GT next year and Rast might join him) but the "young drivers" have had a bump stop put on their hopes of an LMP1 seat, with the possible exception of Sam Bird.
Old 29 Nov 2015, 15:37 (Ref:3594207)   #180
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Yeah, I agree that it's a PR gesture more than anything. Do we have any figures on how much it costs to run the third car - drivers, crew, parts all have their price but compared to the outlay in developing building the first two I would be surprised if it was more than 10% of the total budget. I'd be surprised if it significantly hastened the departure of a VAG team though, if the scandal rumbles onto late next year then it maybe two cars again but otherwise I think both teams will be back to three in 2017.
Been awhile since I’ve heard of something dismissed in motorsports as a mere PR gesture that produces eight-digit savings. Assuming a 10 percent cost cut for not running a third car at Spa and Le Mans to two programs that are each estimated to cost $150 million+ a year, gives $30 million in savings. That’s definitely real money. And I don’t think it’s at all safe to assume that this hit for 2016 will be the only impact of VAG sports car racing efforts.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 11:33 (Ref:3594440)   #181
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Massively disappointing.

Why couldn't they both run 3 at LM as usual, and one everywhere else (except maybe Spa). I'd take that anyday. And Toyota was given the easing in 2012-13 by dictating only the highest placing car scores points, thus enabling them to just have one chassis in most places. This would've been 'return of favor' to VAG.

Now the LMP1 field will be identical every round like in F1. That's another downside. Though I guess what Kolles still does with it's second entry is a mystery, and as for Nissan, well...

The highest placing privateer should now be Rebellion in 7th place (assuming Nissan is still lacking) so that is indeed better starting positioning, but it would still not only need horrible reliability / accidents for factories to crumble, but Rebellion needs to get their act together with AER and other component longetivity.

Last edited by Deleted; 30 Nov 2015 at 11:38.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3594457)   #182
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Why couldn't they both run 3 at LM as usual, and one everywhere else (except maybe Spa). I'd take that anyday.
Driver contracts? I guess they'd rather make 3 drivers unhappy for 2 races and sort them out with drives elsewhere for the whole season, rather than make 3 other drivers unhappy for a full season. And I know you disapprove of the WEC in its current form, but without it right now I'm pretty sure Le Mans would suffer somewhat in terms of works cars. Need I remind you, the economy is not what it was when Le Mans was at its strongest as a standalone race? The manufacturers can't really justify that kind of budget for a single race nowadays, but they could do it for a full world championship. And weakening that world championship will weaken Le Mans (I know that killing the WEC wouldn't destroy the 24 Hours, but in this day and age it would lose a bit of its bargaining power when attracting entries).

Plus, as far as I know from the sporting regulations, you can only have a third car at Le Mans if you already have two full-season entries. Or rather, a single extra car at Le Mans over your full-season allocation. (yes, I remember Audi had 2 full-season and 4 Spa/Le Mans cars in 2012, but rules have changed since then).
Old 1 Dec 2015, 14:57 (Ref:3594755)   #183
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Driver contracts? I guess they'd rather make 3 drivers unhappy for 2 races and sort them out with drives elsewhere for the whole season, rather than make 3 other drivers unhappy for a full season. And I know you disapprove of the WEC in its current form, but without it right now I'm pretty sure Le Mans would suffer somewhat in terms of works cars. Need I remind you, the economy is not what it was when Le Mans was at its strongest as a standalone race? The manufacturers can't really justify that kind of budget for a single race nowadays, but they could do it for a full world championship. And weakening that world championship will weaken Le Mans (I know that killing the WEC wouldn't destroy the 24 Hours, but in this day and age it would lose a bit of its bargaining power when attracting entries).

Plus, as far as I know from the sporting regulations, you can only have a third car at Le Mans if you already have two full-season entries. Or rather, a single extra car at Le Mans over your full-season allocation. (yes, I remember Audi had 2 full-season and 4 Spa/Le Mans cars in 2012, but rules have changed since then).
Actually, no. The rules haven't changed since Audi entered 4 R18s for LM/Spa and just two everywhere else. Check 2012 SR , section 16 A / h+i, and compare them to 2015 SR 16 A / g+h. They are identical. As far as I see it, the "3rd car" is just a figurative term for "more cars than registered for full season".

As for the rest, driver contracts... no, those would be easy pennies to pay them back (and nobody would be idiotic enough to sue Audi/Porsche, that'd be death career sentence).

The "cannot justify for single race" theory may apply for every single other race in the world, but here, I don't buy it. Especially considering neither of these programs would even receive any funding if that particular race wasn't involved. No, I suspect the two just want to play nice to the ACO-FIA (whom want to have their little world series on boom), and not get avenged in unfavourable regulations

Last edited by Deleted; 1 Dec 2015 at 15:03.
Old 7 Dec 2015, 18:27 (Ref:3596177)   #184
Mike E
Veteran

More Danes! Formula Racing + Christina Nielsen

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/1...-schedule.html
Old 7 Dec 2015, 21:41 (Ref:3596224)   #185
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hurray!
And a beautiful one too!
Old 9 Dec 2015, 17:12 (Ref:3596651)   #186
Deleted
Veteran

No Zanardi for the G56(/58) handicapped P2 next year, as he's confirmed not to race anywhere in 2016.

Meanwhile Eurasia will request one slot for Oreca 05.
Old 11 Dec 2015, 16:35 (Ref:3597117)   #187
Deleted
Veteran

So hows the IMSA slot looking.

Confirmed
N/A Mystery Auto Invite Team 1 (could be from below non-factories too)
N/A Mystery Auto Invite Team 2 (--)
LMGTE Corvette 1
LMGTE Corvette 2
LMGTE Ford Ganassi 1
LMGTE Ford Ganassi 2

Probably (subject to ACO and/or other factors)
LMGTE Riley Viper
LMGTE Scuderia Corsa

Maybe
LMP2 Shank Oak

??? ??? ???
LMP2 Speedsource (not diesel) Lola
LMGTE Risi Ferrari
Old 11 Dec 2015, 16:55 (Ref:3597121)   #188
Deleted
Veteran

Oh and I guess TRG. But that's about the same as just standard AMR car in there
Old 14 Dec 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3597792)   #189
Deleted
Veteran

E-I says that Garage 56 will be continued to be called Garage 56 despite there being 58 (60 in 2017) garages. Okay.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3597813)   #190
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
E-I says that Garage 56 will be continued to be called Garage 56 despite there being 58 (60 in 2017) garages. Okay.
Not surprised.

I figure they've built a bit of a brand around Garage 56 being something a little different and experimental so don't see it as being an issue. In some ways it makes more sense than making it Garage 58 in 2016 then shifting to 60 in 2017.

Kind of encouraging to see the ACO paying attention to their brand values and that sort of thing.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 23:12 (Ref:3597821)   #191
Deleted
Veteran

It has two titles thou, G56 and "Car Displaying New Technologies". Which is what the regulations refer it to officially. They could've just used that solely.

But whatever, it's no issue. G56 is fine
Old 17 Dec 2015, 17:08 (Ref:3598410)   #192
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Speculation will officially end on 5 February.

While I'm at Bathurst. )
Old 17 Dec 2015, 17:15 (Ref:3598414)   #193
Deleted
Veteran

Crap. I tend to have afternoon/evening shift on Fridays, was hoping for Thursday (usually safe bet). Well if it comes to that, got to get the stream feed later then (assuming ACO still uploads it) and try to integrate it with RLM comms, instead of the horrible ACO dub.

Just reading the list dry isn't even an option.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 17:20 (Ref:3598415)   #194
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
I'm not sure whether RLM are going to be live for it or not, Hindy and Goodwin tend to talk about the entry list as it's being announced but they'll both be down at Bathurst too. It'll be in the middle of the night for everyone down there.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 17:32 (Ref:3598417)   #195
Deleted
Veteran

Weren't they at Bathurst this year already and did it live anyway, in extremely early morning local time or whatever it was. Don''t remember for years before.

It's too important to miss is it?
Old 17 Dec 2015, 17:44 (Ref:3598419)   #196
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Could be. Might not be awake to hear it though, it'll be something like 2-3 AM at Mount Panorama.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 02:08 (Ref:3598510)   #197
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Could be. Might not be awake to hear it though, it'll be something like 2-3 AM at Mount Panorama.
Thats beer o clock at the Mountain

With the entrylist coming in at that time, looks like it'll be news overload for us fans at Bathurst, cant wait
Old 18 Dec 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3598653)   #198
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
IMSA's at-large entries go to MSR and Scuderia Corsa.

This time both invites will be taken and entries submitted I reckon. Unlike in previous years.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 21:06 (Ref:3598662)   #199
Deleted
Veteran

SC is given. Shank... I'd give that 85%...

They have P2 chassis yet they "need" to rent another one from Oak for Le Mans only? I'm surprised Mr Grumpy, you know the man who always moaned for having to spend pocket change for his DPs, has transformed into this... being

When the new spec rules nonsense comes about, I reckon this model of entering LM from States will be more popular, rather than tearing down the fake OEM bodyworks and changing specs and shiz. Ask Oreca or whomever for discount and bring the rent chassis to Sarthe on gift basket ready to go

Anyway this year at LM, I did love how on Eurosport when Shank came on air to drop off some comments, he totally ghasped at the gigantic speed difference between LMP1 and LMP2.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 21:20 (Ref:3598664)   #200
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
John Pew is putting up the money for that car. And John Pew wants to go to Le Mans.

As for renting a car, don't forget that Test Day clashes with the Detroit IMSA/Indycar weekend, and the only "exempted" class is GTLM/GTE-Pro. Maybe it's just cheaper to do that instead of airfreighting the car for LM only and then rushing it back to the States for the next IMSA race. It's not like Onroak are short of spare chassis.