Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 Dec 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1789268)   #176
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so how much would it be would we be talking about £150-£200 for the travel to lemans with flight and a train there and is that just one way or is that both ways btw?

also im looking to spend no more than £350 on the holiday im going to struggle to pull the money together in time for a booking and so on lol
Old 12 Dec 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1789271)   #177
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I did it for about £150 when booking it two days before (yes was return) so sure you can get it cheaper than that. Presume you're thinking of camping which had no idea about as was in a hotel.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 07:29 (Ref:1789595)   #178
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Three of the lads that used our marshal complimentary passes last year done just that. They camped aswell and found it to be very enjoyable indeed!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 09:18 (Ref:1789652)   #179
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£30 for a Eurostar to Paris from London (if you book far enough in advance) - much less hassle than a plane. Never been to CDG but I hear getting back into central Paris is expensive too.
I suppose you have to get to London too!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1789794)   #180
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
then my plan for Le Mans next year would look something like this...

Drive from (wherever in the UK) to Brands Hatch for the DTM on Fri/Sat/Sun. Camp or doss in the car (remember I'm supposed to be 17 again).

Monday head down to Ashford international station cos I can't drive in France. Leave the car in the long term car park (tenner a day).
Take the TGV to Paris and then on to Le Mans.
Wander around the station, try to find somebody that speaks English to sus out the bus system. Or just wander out of the station and believe that it'll all be blindingly obvious.

Bus it up to the circuit or maybe first find a supermarket to buy as much beer as I'm physically able to carry (OK at 17, I'd buy the beer, everything else is secondary). Get tent up before too much beer is drunk, no wait, drink lots of beer and to remember how tent is put up.

Tuesday try and remember how to get down to town for scrutineering (a bit overrated but it's got to be done) drink beer and then get back, somehow.

Wednesday,Thursday, Saturday,Sunday. (Friday may or may not exist, opinions vary)
Then drink/sleep/get sunburnt/watch cars/get mugged/be sick (sequence may vary). Survive by eating merguez & frites. Find the bus to Arnage, plan to walk from Arnage to Mulsanne corner viewing area.
[go off plan]Get lost. Get really lost by taking shortcut across field. Get scared. Drink Beer. Get "rescued" by a drunken bunch of random blokes that are also lost & become yer best mates.[/off plan]

Return home and tell tales of the great adventure.
Make plans for 08.

Seriously tho' (as has been proven many times) the way to get the best out of your first visit to Le Mans is to go with someone that knows what they're doing or at least has been there before.
(DJ, I realise that at 17 you might find it hard to believe that others do know better, but)
Nicely put!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 12:41 (Ref:1789810)   #181
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
i live in old colwyn on the north wales coast.......

......well i am hoping to get there on monday....

.......and i am returning on the monday......

i will be going on my own as i am the only person round were i live that likes lemans and sportscar racing.

i like the idea of flying to paris then getting the train to lemans it sounds like
a rather easy and simple plausible plan and i hoep to meet up with some ten-tenths members when i get there.
OK, dj, here's my take on your situation......

1) I agree with Bodysnatcher -"Seriously tho' (as has been proven many times) the way to get the best out of your first visit to Le Mans is to go with someone that knows what they're doing or at least has been there before."- Take heed of what he says, it's very good advice. In fact doubly so since you are currently planning to travel alone.

2) Regardless of how streetwise you may be, at 17, I would suggest that you are going about this the wrong way. Even if you are unable to find someone who has been to Le Mans before, you still need to find a travelling companion. We can give you plenty of advice and suggestions before you go, but, you can't rely on 10-10ths members to sort you out if you find yourself in a predicament once you're there. You are going to a foreign country where your only (very tenuous) link to other racegoers is an online forum. We may feel like family to you, and yes, you are quite definitely family to us, but only within the virtual community of this forum. The reality is that we are all, for the most part, complete strangers. And that is the mindset with which you must undertake this trip.

3) Assuming you find yourself a travelling companion, I've had a look at flights etc. Jet2 fly from Manchester to Paris(CDG) daily and you can book online. This is the schedule for your dates:

LS703 11 June 2007 MANCHESTER Terminal 1 PARIS CDG Terminal 3 13:00 15:30

LS704 18 June 2007 PARIS CDG Terminal 3 MANCHESTER Terminal 1 16:00 16:30

The current cost of this flight is £63.21, but that will go up as more people book. The schedule for the direct train service from the airport to Le Mans is not yet out, but you will again be able to book online, through RailEurope. Prices start at about £40 return, but also go up in price as more people book.

The potential problems with this flight/train combination surround a delay on your flight which would lead you to miss your train on the way out (bear in mind you will not be able to transfer your ticket to a later train without incurring the cost of either a new ticket or the difference in price between the one you have, and the cheapest available on the next train) and the reverse scenario on the way back, which could mean you miss your flight. You could end up incurring the cost of an overnight hotel at the airport and having to buy a new inbound flight ticket.

Camping: You're probably too late to get anything other than Beausejour direct from the ACO at this stage. Avoid Beausejour. Given that you are on foot and the campsite is a considerable distance from the main spectator enclosures, you're probably best off going for Camping Bleu. It's outside the circuit, but close to the spectator areas. It's not one of the most sought after campsites, but facilities there appear to be getting better each year. You should be able to pick up a Camping Bleu pass at face value quite easily nearer the time. I'm sure we can point you in the right direction to find one.

4) This is just a suggestion, and I know it won't be what you want to hear! In my opinion, your best bet if you are travelling alone on your first visit to Le Mans, is to take a coach tour with someone like Motor Racing International, out Friday and back Monday. Yes, you'll miss much of what you want to see, but it'll be a great introduction to Le Mans. They have local departures (Cardiff/Swansea/Manchester/Liverpool) and you will, at all times, have access to knowledgable people who will look after you (within reason!) for the duration of your visit. As I say, just a suggestion, but it makes a great deal sense to me. You have many, many more years ahead when you can do Le Mans the way you really want to!

5) Sorry if I sound like your Dad!! But your first Le Mans should be a great one, remembered for all the right reasons. In your current situation, the coach tour is your best alternative for 2007. You can be more ambitious once you're 18.

These are just my opinions, dj, you can take them or leave them. Good luck!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1789829)   #182
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Far out, I oughta hurry up and start booking campsites and tickets then?
Old 13 Dec 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1789840)   #183
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have thought so, although last year I had my tickets arranged for me through another tenths member so not sure what point you need to do them by.

Bentley03's advice is very good, and something I did listen to last year and didn't go wrong - so I would recommend listening to at least some of it! The only other thing he said to me was to not go near the funfair at night time which didn't see there - may / may not be something else you want to think about if you do go!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1789843)   #184
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
The only other thing he said to me was to not go near the funfair at night time
Why is that? We had all intentions of heading up that way between shifts until two of our party fell sick during the night.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1789848)   #185
Suze
Veteran

England
May have just been because I am female, don't know, but apparently at times it can be a little rough.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1789859)   #186
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood
Why is that? We had all intentions of heading up that way between shifts until two of our party fell sick during the night.
It wasn't actually me who said that to Suze. I do remember someone (perhaps it was Sam, Suze) suggesting that the funfair is best avoided at night. Personally, I've never seen or heard of any trouble there at any time of the day or night.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1789919)   #187
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
There's been a fair amount of pickpocketing in recent years at the fairground afaik
Old 13 Dec 2006, 23:12 (Ref:1790186)   #188
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
There's been a fair amount of pickpocketing in recent years at the fairground afaik
Some punk ass tried to pickpocket me this year (my first Le Mans). It was while I was trying to get cheap French beer at that big tent, during the daytime.
Since I was alone, I just exchanged some words with the Frenchman, and avoided any physical contact (although I was really looking forward to it).

I agreed with the thought of going with someone experienced, although I had a fantastic time going by myself on my first time (from NYC). I just have to thank again to members of this forum for all of the information that was provided!
Old 14 Dec 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1790614)   #189
brandspost4a
Racer

Scotland
Tunbridge Wells, KENT
brandspost4a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Monday head down to Ashford international station cos I can't drive in France. Leave the car in the long term car park (tenner a day).
Take the TGV to Paris and then on to Le Mans.
TGV from UK I think not Mr Bodysnatcher. Eurostar to France! Seriously though, like canam why go through Paris. It means using the Metro (IMHO far superior to LU) carting luggage etc. Why not get on a Eurostar thats stops at Lille and transfer onto a TGV from there to Le Mans.

For DJ why not try one of the organised tour operators trips since this is your first visit. You should then meet people of a kindred spirit who may have been a few times and will take you under their wing, so to speak.
Whichever you decide to do, enjoy yourself. All advice given here is good.

As for myself I will be back for visit number 20 something, first visit lost in the sands of time, and will be marshalling on Poste70 again
Old 15 Dec 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1791293)   #190
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
OK mr smartarrss 4a
I wrote the "advice" to dj in a bit of a hurry. Lets just say that trains are a bit like motorbikes and they all look the same to me.

Seriously tho, thanks also for reminding everbody about the possibility of the change at Lille. I knew from past research that I could do it for travelling to Tours, so it should have been a no-brainer to realise that the same train would stop at Le mans. Ho hum

Think I might be going down Tuesday, Speedferries timetable not really marshal friendly for Wednesday.
See you in the usual place then on Wednesday about 1pm?
Usual order?
Old 15 Dec 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1791468)   #191
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr Bentley, you advice sounded like my father never mind dj's! All good stuff though and as a relative new "boy" ( ) to this forum pleased to see such good advice to a young man

The Lille suggestion is a good one, some of the TGV to LM also stop at CDG airport but you can have quite a wait as there are a limited number. I did the airport route last year on Saturday morning (don't ask) and as I know my way round the Paris Metro was tempted to go to Montparnasse, wore myself out lugging a heavy bag and gained less than 30 minutes, remember you French virgins, the trains run on time. With the new trams rail station to circuit should be easy but can someone post the name of tram destination we should use to get nearest to the main entrance. Last year I got a taxi with others and he simply dropped us at the simplest point for him, I then had to pay extra to get to the main entrance.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1791509)   #192
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
Mr Bentley, your advice sounded like my father never mind dj's!
That bad eh.........

Old 15 Dec 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1791518)   #193
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its worth noting that if you use the train or plane option and then camp, you do not need a camping pass, you can just walk straight onto most of the sites if you are cunning.

Some are inside the grounds of the ACO and you will need a GA ticket to gain access however.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1791575)   #194
brandspost4a
Racer

Scotland
Tunbridge Wells, KENT
brandspost4a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Think I might be going down Tuesday, Speedferries timetable not really marshal friendly for Wednesday.
See you in the usual place then on Wednesday about 1pm?
Usual order?
Absolutely. Steack et frites avec un grande biere, merci
Old 25 Dec 2006, 23:01 (Ref:1799185)   #195
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just checkin' in here, as I have to book my flights very early in the new year to get a decent price... We are talking about June 16-17 as the most likely race dates, correct? I'm trying to work out if I should work a race in England the weekend before, as I did this year, or come in for Le Mans and stay over the following weekend for a race in England. If neither option suits I can always go back over the pond and work Cleveland Champ Car and then go home to the Wet Coast.

cheers,
keke

Last edited by racerkeke; 25 Dec 2006 at 23:04.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1799363)   #196
Suze
Veteran

England
Yes, correct!

At least that's when I think I'm going to be there...!

Last edited by Suze; 26 Dec 2006 at 12:24.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 08:28 (Ref:1799761)   #197
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, stupid question No (insert suitable number here)

Just what are the requirements for acceptance as a marshall at le Mans, and how does one go about it?

I am planning my first trip to LM in 07, and the information in this thread has been very helpful in getting my head around what is involved.

One other question, are tents available on site anywhere for someone travelling light, or is the choice between bring your own oor stay in a hostel/hotel?
Old 27 Dec 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1799808)   #198
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine

Just what are the requirements for acceptance as a marshall at le Mans, and how does one go about it?

I am planning my first trip to LM in 07, and the information in this thread has been very helpful in getting my head around what is involved.

One other question, are tents available on site anywhere for someone travelling light, or is the choice between bring your own oor stay in a hostel/hotel?
I dont know of anywhere that provides tents onsite, although I am sure you could buy one at the Carrefour (Hypermarket) at less than the cost of a hotel.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1799923)   #199
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

welcome to 10ths GreenMachine, glad we're helping...
this bit of 10ths is Le Mans specific, but there's also a marshal specific bit of 10ths.
The question of how to marshal at Le Mans comes up every year. More enlightenment may be found there.
or try these links
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=marshal+mans
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=marshal+mans

I've no idea how someone from Australia would apply, but I guess the folks from Canada & USA might know where to send requests )i t's either start with your own MSA or direct to the ACO team (Mme Danet??) Tents, if you're coming a long way then the cheap use once and discard from the supermarket is not a bad idea (on 106 though some of us have caravans/motorhomes brought on site that we rent/share)
Old 27 Dec 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1799954)   #200
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Do you speek French? and have you contacted the ACO?

From what I gather Volunteer Marshalls are members of the ACO first. of which 1,800 number of voluntary marshals (some foreign) for the good running of the 24 Heures du Mans