Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Aug 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2742463)   #176
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
@CTD: you are misusing the term S1600, which refers to FWD cars with a NA 1.6 4 cilinder engine (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_1600) used in e.g. JWRC.

I doubt that the manufacturers can recover the huge investment needed to build a championship winning rally car by selling the car to customers.
Wops . I confused the S1600 rules with the S2000 rules, which are used in IRC.
My mistake.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2742467)   #177
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I must admit that the situation is a bit confusing. Next year WRC will adopt the Super 2000 rules, but it allows the use of a direct injected 1.6 turbo engine (instead of the current 2.0 NA engine).

See http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...sc_230610.aspx
Old 10 Aug 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2742470)   #178
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I must admit that the situation is a bit confusing. Next year WRC will adopt the Super 2000 rules, but it allows the use of a direct injected 1.6 turbo engine (instead of the current 2.0 NA engine).

See http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...sc_230610.aspx
Thats crazy, as the S2000 rules are named after 2.0L engines, and S1600 after 1.6L.
But well that's FIA in a box!
Old 10 Aug 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2742472)   #179
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The same will happen in WTCC next year:
Quote:
WORLD TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIP

The World Council adopted new cost-controlling technical regulations to permit the adaptation of the current Super 2000 cars to the new 1.6L turbo engine.
source: http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...sc_230610.aspx
Old 10 Aug 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2742474)   #180
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Well, that fits well with an entry to WTCC?
Develop one basic car, and specialize it to WRC and WTCC.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2742480)   #181
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Well, that fits well with an entry to WTCC?
Develop one basic car, and specialize it to WRC and WTCC.
Not that easy. WRC is 4WD with spec components and WTCC is 2WD. S2000 rally cars are typically small hatch backs, while touring cars are often longer sedans (BMW, Chevrolet, Honda, Vauxhall, ...).

The engine can probably be shared, which is what BMW will do.

Last edited by gwyllion; 10 Aug 2010 at 14:35.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2742483)   #182
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Not that easy. WRC is 4WD with spec components and WTCC is 2WD. S2000 rally cars are typically small hatch backs, while touring cars are often longer sedans (BMW, Chevrolet, Honda, Vauxhall, ...).
Of course the 4WD and FWD are two different systems that has to be made, but engine and chassis can be shared.
And yes, a smaller Hatch Back is preferable in WRC, but there is no "standard" in WTCC, just look at the Peugeot 306, 307 (mostly Denmark), but especially the Seat Leon.
A Toyota Auris S2000 Could be build in a FWD and 4WD version, with a lot of shared components. (Besides the old Corrola was made into a quite successful Touring car, so some experience does exist)
Old 10 Aug 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2742489)   #183
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Perhaps... but because currently there are no S2000 rally and touring cars based on the same road car, I don't see this happening. The wheel base and length of S2000 rally car is limited.

You give the example of the Seat Leon and Peugeot 306/307. The S2000 rally cars of the same brand/family are based on smaller hatchbacks. Peugeot uses the 207 for rally. The Skoda Fabia and VW Polo rally car have the same size as the Seat Ibiza, which is smaller than the Leon.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2742500)   #184
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Perhaps... but because currently there are no S2000 rally and touring cars based on the same road car, I don't see this happening. The wheel base and length of S2000 rally car is limited.

You give the example of the Seat Leon and Peugeot 306/307. The S2000 rally cars of the same brand/family are based on smaller hatchbacks. Peugeot uses the 207 for rally. The Skoda Fabia and VW Polo rally car have the same size as the Seat Ibiza, which is smaller than the Leon.
The physical difference between the 207 and the 308 (same generation for better comparison) aren't that large.
The 207: 4045mm x 1972mm (with wing mirrors)
The 308: 4276mm x 2038mm (with wing mirrors)
And since Toyota doesn't have a proper supermini (the Yaris being to small for rally), and doesn't have a proper touring car with promotion value (The Avensis being to commercial and not family orientated enough), The Auris/Corolla is the only car which fits both classes.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2742962)   #185
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Toyota has already S2000 rally cars based on the Corolla and Auris.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2763430)   #186
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Autosport magazine says in this week's issue that Toyota will indeed return next year, but only as an engine supplier, and that their team of choice is Rebellion Racing; they mention that the engine is based on the Super GT engine, and that the first engines have already been delivered to the team.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2763460)   #187
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Autosport magazine says in this week's issue that Toyota will indeed return next year, but only as an engine supplier, and that their team of choice is Rebellion Racing; they mention that the engine is based on the Super GT engine, and that the first engines have already been delivered to the team.
The only news to me in that connection, is that Rebellion Racing is the receiver.
But this means that the Toyota brand will return to Le Mans next year i LMP1.

Again. Is this a toe-in-the-water project?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2763462)   #188
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What engine?
The SC 430's 3UZ-FE V8?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2763468)   #189
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too big for P1. Rather the 3.4l RV8KG they are currently using in Super GT.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2763512)   #190
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really hoping this leads to a full factory effort. In the Autosport article the project manager at Toyota said this Rebellion tie up was only a "commercial deal" and shouldn't be interpreted as anything else. But I suppose they would say that.

One thing it does mean is that there will be a large presence of Toyota people at Le Mans which can't be a bad thing can it.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2763526)   #191
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are we sure this is for P1 and not P2?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2763528)   #192
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Are we sure this is for P1 and not P2?
Yes.
Unless the SupertGT engines are production based, then it can only be Lmp1.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2763532)   #193
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I somehow cant see Rebellion wanting to step back to P2 ..... but money talks I guess .

Be great to see Toyota back at Le Mans again , and indeed within the LMS too . Hopefully a Sebring entry on the cards if their serious .
Old 23 Sep 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2763534)   #194
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
I don't think we will see more than Rebellions former efforts.
The only way i see Toyota getting more evolved, is if the project carries unexpected fruit and the engine are able to compete with the other petrol cars, and sometimes challenge for the win.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 14:40 (Ref:2763555)   #195
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't Rollcentre run Nissan Super GT engines sometime around 2003/04?

From what I remember they weren't all that happy with that and the level of support they received from Nissan...
Old 23 Sep 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2763571)   #196
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Didn't Rollcentre run Nissan Super GT engines sometime around 2003/04?

From what I remember they weren't all that happy with that and the level of support they received from Nissan...
But since then the GT-R has arrived and Nissan need to show off as a Sports marque .
Old 23 Sep 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2763585)   #197
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Commercial deal or not the 3.4 V8 is a factory Super GT engine so once adapted to ACO restictors should be as good as anything out there.

Isn't the P2 HPD/Super GT Honda 3.4 V8 effectively the same engine?

Zytek are servicing Nissan's Super GT engine but this time in 4.5l P2 spec so I guess there is also potential to see the 3.4 V8 in P1.

Whether that is with Zytek will come down to their plans for their own 3.4 V8.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2763617)   #198
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Too big for P1. Rather the 3.4l RV8KG they are currently using in Super GT.
Was that engine based on the current LMP2 engine?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2763647)   #199
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Commercial deal or not the 3.4 V8 is a factory Super GT engine so once adapted to ACO restictors should be as good as anything out there.
Are the Super GT engines able to run 24hrs? I know they should be able to last the standard 1000km races, but is there any history of these engines running longer?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2763650)   #200
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Are the Super GT engines able to run 24hrs? I know they should be able to last the standard 1000km races, but is there any history of these engines running longer?
If what is said about Honda's Super GT engine being virtually the same thing as the engine in the ARX-01, then yes, there is an emphatic example from this year.