Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2024, 22:26 (Ref:4194473)   #176
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This reminds me of the line from the movie Silverado. In which the corrupt sheriff says...

"We'll give him a fair trail followed by a first class hanging"

Today was the hanging. The fix was in from the start.

Richard
Old 31 Jan 2024, 22:29 (Ref:4194474)   #177
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Well, well, well, seems I wasn't so far from it after all.
LOL! They weren't accepted. The future date is like telling your children "maybe tomorrow" as a way to try to portray yourself as not saying "no". There is nothing binding. Nothing but PR spin.

Richard
Old 31 Jan 2024, 22:33 (Ref:4194475)   #178
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
LOL! They weren't accepted. The future date is like telling your children "maybe tomorrow" as a way to try to portray yourself as not saying "no". There is nothing binding. Nothing but PR spin.

Richard
LOL yourself. Maybe you missed where I wrote "possibly" not to mention the official quotes from today, such as “we would look differently on an application for the entry of a team into the 2028 championship with a GM power unit, either as a GM works team or as a GM customer team designing all allowable components in-house.”

Anyway 2027-2029 was the word for months, so I am 100% certain Andretti knew what was coming. (Unsaid message, buy Haas.)

Last edited by peebee2; 31 Jan 2024 at 22:50.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 22:46 (Ref:4194478)   #179
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The good thing for Liberty is that although social media seems almost all up in arms about the decision, the younger viewers they attracted to the sport arent going to stop watching, clicking or swiping. So the money is safe for now...
Old 31 Jan 2024, 23:37 (Ref:4194482)   #180
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not surprised at the result but I am surprised at the insulting language used in the statement, not just to Andretti Autosport but General Motors as well. If I'm in PR, there is no way I'm letting that make its way to the public. "We're not going to share our money" is more direct and understandable.

Also, this isn't coming from FOM/Liberty/FIA. The tail wags the dog now.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 01:11 (Ref:4194489)   #181
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
The good thing for Liberty is that although social media seems almost all up in arms about the decision, the younger viewers they attracted to the sport arent going to stop watching, clicking or swiping. So the money is safe for now...
For the hundreds of millions of US dollars that Andretti Global planned to spend on this, they can easily start a breakaway series and try to develop its own commercial value.

I doubt A1GP or Superleague Formula organisers ever spent more than $500m USD before they went bankrupt.

Heck $500m USD was probably even Champcar World Series' budget to fund multiple entrants and multiple events for multiple seasons before they went bankrupt!
Old 1 Feb 2024, 01:32 (Ref:4194496)   #182
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don’t know if that is a smart thing to base a decision on.
The great upsurge in F1 popularity was created by the perfect storm of Netflix and the incredible 2021 season.Teams or indeed Liberty did nothing special that caused the growth.
Issue is that all reality TV shows lose popularity as they largely repeat themselves season after season.On top of that a lot of the the new fans aren’t going to stick around once they realise that 2021 was a once in a generation season and watching Max win 20 races a year isn’t going to keep them there either.Although still high ticket sales at some of the races are already beginning to fall off.
Then there’s the effect of how this will play out in the US which is their target market for growth.Thinking there may be more of a kick back than they think there will be.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 01:37 (Ref:4194498)   #183
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was that sound we heard Mr Haas adding an extra zero on his whiteboard for the buy price of SteinerF1?
Old 1 Feb 2024, 10:02 (Ref:4194532)   #184
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The full statement from F1 is confusing and contradictory. Fears that they would not be competitive with a customer engine. Saying that they would be more favourable to the application if it involved a GM engine from day 1. But a new team with a new engine would in no way be as competitive when compared to using an existing engine. Even criticising the team for starting work on a 2025 car already.

They put out a long lawyer-speak statement that is contradictory to itself and does not stand up to even a simple logic test. I'm embarrassed for F1. This hits a new low.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 12:01 (Ref:4194557)   #185
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shame.

More the merrier I say but the peeps dont want to share their royalties
Old 1 Feb 2024, 14:40 (Ref:4194595)   #186
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I'm not too sure about that. If Andretti's entry had been accepted, that would have helped keep the younger viewers who have been attracted in the US to F1, clicking and swiping. The US is where Liberty wants to grow F1. With no Andretti entry until possibly 2028, will those same younger US viewers want to continue clicking and swiping? They won't be so young in 2028.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 14:46 (Ref:4194597)   #187
Richard C
Veteran

I wonder how much FOM paid Lewis to let the cat out of the bag regarding his switch to Ferrari so that it can bury the Andretti story. Or maybe better yet... FOM knew about the Lewis switch and it's timing and wanted to drop the Andretti rejection just days before the Lewis news breaking!

Richard
Old 1 Feb 2024, 15:37 (Ref:4194607)   #188
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I wonder how much FOM paid Lewis to let the cat out of the bag regarding his switch to Ferrari so that it can bury the Andretti story. Or maybe better yet... FOM knew about the Lewis switch and it's timing and wanted to drop the Andretti rejection just days before the Lewis news breaking!

Richard
either way, a smart play to take over the news cycle!
Old 1 Feb 2024, 18:38 (Ref:4194629)   #189
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They will never let another participant join the grid and split their pie. This is just the teams trying to squeeze more money out.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 18:52 (Ref:4194631)   #190
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in the glory days of the 70s and later everyone could enter even with customers cars and they had to (pre)qualify

why is it so hard for this current regime to allow that again ??

BTW FOM are really d***s for taking down videos of old F1 on YT

Last edited by porsche962fan; 1 Feb 2024 at 18:58.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 22:39 (Ref:4194676)   #191
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
F1TV is dirt cheap for what you get though. Easily worth the money.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 22:40 (Ref:4194677)   #192
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
in the glory days of the 70s and later everyone could enter even with customers cars and they had to (pre)qualify

why is it so hard for this current regime to allow that again ??

BTW FOM are really d***s for taking down videos of old F1 on YT
The old videos of f1? Gone?
not much different from political leaders who wanted to burn books to eliminate any references to past thought and philosophy.
They may say they are just protecting their intellectual property and making people pay for it through their own channels.

But if it was free to air when it was shown originally why now take it down. If individuals put it up on YT then they are taking down something that is actually the property of another person.....
Old 1 Feb 2024, 23:12 (Ref:4194681)   #193
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
But if it was free to air when it was shown originally why now take it down. If individuals put it up on YT then they are taking down something that is actually the property of another person.....
It doesn't work that way. Just because it (an F1 race, a movie, whatever) was broadcast over the air for free doesn't give any viewer rebroadcast rights. Viewers don't "own" that content.

With that being said, I think F1 is wrong to lock old content behind a paywall. If I were them, I would post all prior season content online for free access. IMHO, it would bring in more viewers.

Richard
Old 2 Feb 2024, 08:01 (Ref:4194714)   #194
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It doesn't work that way. Just because it (an F1 race, a movie, whatever) was broadcast over the air for free doesn't give any viewer rebroadcast rights. Viewers don't "own" that content.

With that being said, I think F1 is wrong to lock old content behind a paywall. If I were them, I would post all prior season content online for free access. IMHO, it would bring in more viewers.

Richard
NASCAR does it well.

Plenty of past races uploaded to their official channel and on their NASCAR Classics Channel.

Current season races are uploaded in full a few days after the race.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 12:49 (Ref:4194746)   #195
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'm not surprised at the result but I am surprised at the insulting language used in the statement, not just to Andretti Autosport but General Motors as well. If I'm in PR, there is no way I'm letting that make its way to the public. "We're not going to share our money" is more direct and understandable.

Also, this isn't coming from FOM/Liberty/FIA. The tail wags the dog now.
When he's not looking to blame LM, you take that to the bank no matter who claims to be connected and knows better. LM has screwed up more things that man enjoyed than probably any 2 people, they find cash and adding a team gets LM more money, full stop
Old 2 Feb 2024, 12:58 (Ref:4194748)   #196
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Richard
Exactly, you may own your physical save of it but as is stated in most all broadcasts and famously for US viewers loudly in NFL and MLB games, no rebroadcasting without the express written consent of.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
NASCAR does it well.

Plenty of past races uploaded to their official channel and on their NASCAR Classics Channel.

Current season races are uploaded in full a few days after the race.
NASCAR learned from NFL Films. And even the NFL at first wasn't smart about it. Guy from New Jersey realized the NFL sold the broadcast and then did nothing with it so he bought the rights to all broadcast game footage, plus some of his own access for 5k and made NFL Films. It made him a ton of money as the NFL learned quickly he hit a market for game footage, best of reels and historical stuff. NASCAR ain't stupid often, multiple blunders but still the biggest show in the US for racing, bad race will draw more than Indy, IMSA and F1 combined, often just for the Busch series numbers never mind Cup. And their YT stuff gets decent numbers too, 1.5 mil for the main and 15k for the Classics isn't great relative "influencers" but decent view vs subscriber numbers
Old 2 Feb 2024, 15:54 (Ref:4194782)   #197
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
can definitely understand why F1 want to keep its content to itself/behind a paywall but i also dont understand why in the 20odd years of the internet why F1 hasent made a much greater effort to both consolidate, maintain, and upgrade its archives in a way very much, as broadrun96 suggests, like how NFL Films has approached it?

there is clearly demand for it imo.

was it a lack of forethought in their past TV deals and now FOM has issues rebroadcasting events filmed by BBC or ITV? who owns the images of the cars even, FOM or the teams themselves? is it that this archival footage typically contains sponsor images that are not really allowed to be broadcast anymore? is there an issue with old sponsor images, sponsors who are no longer paying the teams, being essentially rebroadcast for free basically now? is there an issue with royalty rights for using these images potentially having to go to now defunct teams or companies?

we assume that FOM pulls down content from YT because they dont want someone else profiting off of something they feel like only they can profit from but i suspect its a far more complicated story?
Old 2 Feb 2024, 16:16 (Ref:4194790)   #198
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
What has all this got to do with Andretti?

Can't you have a thread for it?
Old 2 Feb 2024, 16:18 (Ref:4194793)   #199
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
What has all this got to do with Andretti?

Can't you have a thread for it?
its about the benefits of doing things the American way?

but yeah, off topic...my bad!
Old 2 Feb 2024, 16:47 (Ref:4194801)   #200
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Given we don’t want to share our money was listed as a reason to exclude them and others market themselves instead of pretending they are a premium no marketing needed brand, how others have in comparison is a valid discussion point