Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 May 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2457385)   #176
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedreader View Post
Christina has been running select single seater events in the USA (Indy Lights or similar from memory) but I believe money was a problem because like any driver, male or female, she was having to contribute toward the running costs and with the exchange rate of the NZ$ versus the US$ this was a dificult scenario to keep on top of. She recently returned to Australia to race in the Bathurst 12 Hour race, albeit in a fairly slow, normally aspirated Subaru Impreza.

Leanne has select rides in Fujitsu V8's and F3 leading up to the Enduro rides with PCR later this year.

Not sure about Lauren Gray or ???

The sad thing is everyone attacks female racers and their lack of competitive drives but also attackes them when they get publicity. Lets face it, Robbie (Jones) driving the pace car was just another competitive race car driver driving the pace car but Amber driving it is an editorial spin that the media love - why is that Amber's fault ?

Many people have said this before and I will reiterate - when you are dealing with literally hundreds of male drivers attempting to prove themselves alongside perhaps 2-3 female drivers at any one time the odds will always be better that more males will shine in the long run...

Lets stop knocking those that are trying - if ever I had a good word to say about Americans it is how they constantly find the good in people instead of just ripping them apart like we do down here. You can be coming last in a Nascar race and still receive good coverage with knowledgable journalism, historical results and genuine comments to support your effort's. Here, the media just want to make a laughing stock of anyone who tries to achieve no matter what.

It's embarrasing and I really wish people would just grow up and start applauding those who give it a go no matter what their gender !!!

You're right - we should go easy on them cause they're just girls - maybe a lap head start? How about two laps head start for the sheep shaggers "giving it a go"?
Old 8 May 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2457630)   #177
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No one is saying to give them an advantage, but they cop more than the equivalent male. Perhaps some guys on here can;t handle the fact there are females out there who can outdrive them, or are wrangling their way into opportunities they cannot?

It's easy for people to target the females. Robbie Jones hasn't done much either in recent memory, but some seem to think he is far more worthy than any female in the Safety Car.
Old 8 May 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2457640)   #178
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So where are...

... the 4 of these ladies now?
Cooking, Cleaning, Sewing and taking the kids to school faster than other mums????
Old 8 May 2009, 01:31 (Ref:2457644)   #179
stigette
Rookie

stigette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't speak for everyone, but most girls that I know who are involved in motor sport don't want any special treatment, in fact most hate being singled out for being female!

I personally don't like the concept of 'ladies classes' in club events because it's special treatment. Having said that, it is a good way to get women involved in the sport and some women love it because they have more chance of winning a trophy.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to what drives you to be involved, and for me it's about having fun, having a go and challenging myself, it's not about a trophy, but hey if it happens then that's great!

Once we put our helmets on we are all the same.
And no head starts please mctshirt!
Old 8 May 2009, 04:48 (Ref:2457699)   #180
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ultimately, it might not come down purely and singularly to a woman being skilled enough to take out a major championship - although it is my own personal opinion that there has not been, nor *likely* will there ever be a woman who can hold control enough over their emotions and hormonal variances over the course of a month, let alone a championship year, to ever challenge the mental and physical focus and dedicated fitness levels of a Senna, Schumacher etc - however I do believe Sponsorship, Marketing etc and the financial support given by those sponsors and endorsements can be one of the ultimate arbiters.

Most marketing firms see quite plainly that whilst the huge majority of supporters of Motorsport are male, and while for a certain period of time, that majority of male support can be swayed by occasional calenders etc portraying attractive females involved in Motorsport showcasing their various charms, that that same majority of males would and do choose to be aligned with skill and flair and for want of a better term, 'maleness', rather than being associated with the more feminine traits of what female drivers are out there - can only imagine the derisory comments between mates at a BBQ if one of them was found to be supporting a female driver - perish the thought, but a salient observation in any case.

I respect Ms Tanders achievements on track, but other than a few die hard supporters in this forum, plus a couple strewn around race tracks in this country, where are the huge sponsor deals, the endorsements or any other form of long term drive contracts queueing up for her signature, thus assuring her long term survival in this sport?
With respect, she is just (and perhaps never has been if those offers, or lack thereof are any indication) not that marketable from a corporate point of view as a serious, long term, pack leading championship contender - whether she has the skill or not is another discussion.

We can argue about whether or not a female will ever win a major motorsport championship - well, if a female can secure the financial resources to give it a decent go on an even footing, and has the same or very similar skill, fitness and utterly determined focus level, as the saying goes, time will tell.

But I personally will not hold my breath waiting.
Old 18 May 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2464255)   #181
Wilder
Rookie

Wilder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Women , the physical dissadvantages..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind View Post
The US Military, and the Marines in particular, are very happy with their female F18 fighterpilots. They have bodies better suited to high G´s, as they tend to be more compact, less way between brain and heart.

And they do very well, thank you. So saying that unless a female driver wins a major championship, they are rubbish, does not make sense to me. There are lots of male drivers, not winning anything either. And no one picks on them ?
I wondered how long it would take before someone brought up fighter jet pilots...
Ok, firstly the inclusion of fighter pilots is not remotely similar.

The reasons are simple:
1/ Fighter pilots do NOT experience high G for more that a few seconds.
Although the G forces are higher (up to 7-9G typically) sustained high G of around 8-9 renders any human unconcious rapidly, even with the G suit.
Women are suited to sporadic high G because they have smaller mass, and less blood than men, and it is this blood leaving the vital organs -the brain mainly into the extemeties than lead to this condition.
This is why Douglas Bader made a great fighter pilot after he lost his legs, (in the days before this condition was understood,) it meant he had no legs for his blood to accumilate in during high G manouvers.

2/high G and -Ve G manouvers do not require intensive physical conditioning for the reasons mentioned ( short duration).
In a typical F1 race, corners of 3G are common, (peaks of 5G) and can last as in the famous 130R for 10 seconds or more.
Over a race distance this leads to incredible fatigue, and requires tremendous strength , particularly in the kneck muscles.
Women simply do not have this musculature, even with the most intense training.

I use F1 as the example, because its the highest G forces in motorsport, and therefore most appropriate to compare with the Fighter pilot comparison.
It may also be a good explanation for the fact below, and why a woman is unlikely to ever win the F1 drivers crown.
There have been 8 women compete over 51 years (1958 was the first one).
The years 1974 to 1976 saw the emergence of the most successful female driver in Formula One—Lella Lombardi. Lombardi had a total of 17 entries with 12 starts, and she managed to finish sixth in the Spanish Grand Prix where she managed to score 0.5 points. Today, Lombardi remains the only woman to have ever scored any points in Formula One.

Last edited by Wilder; 18 May 2009 at 01:20. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 18 May 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2464563)   #182
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post

Its not bikes,its not drag racing,its not rallying, its single driver,four wheels on a track designed for circuit racing.

So karts are in, goody. Linda Knapp, Australian sprint kart champion JNL. I could ring her and find the year but I can't be bothered as you will find criteria to say it does not count.
Old 18 May 2009, 14:33 (Ref:2464580)   #183
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post

In a typical F1 race, corners of 3G are common, (peaks of 5G) and can last as in the famous 130R for 10 seconds or more.
Over a race distance this leads to incredible fatigue, and requires tremendous strength , particularly in the kneck muscles.
Women simply do not have this musculature, even with the most intense training.

I use F1 as the example, because its the highest G forces in motorsport, and therefore most appropriate to compare with the Fighter pilot comparison.
It may also be a good explanation for the fact below, and why a woman is unlikely to ever win the F1 drivers crown.
There have been 8 women compete over 51 years (1958 was the first one).
The years 1974 to 1976 saw the emergence of the most successful female driver in Formula One—Lella Lombardi. Lombardi had a total of 17 entries with 12 starts, and she managed to finish sixth in the Spanish Grand Prix where she managed to score 0.5 points. Today, Lombardi remains the only woman to have ever scored any points in Formula One.
What about g-forces in Indycar (oval or road course)? Maybe they are less an in F1 on average, but surely not dramatically so? Danica, amongst others, seems to cope okay.
Old 18 May 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2464640)   #184
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep,three women qualified for the Indy 500 for second year running.
Old 18 May 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2464864)   #185
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Dasher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
So karts are in, goody. Linda Knapp, Australian sprint kart champion JNL. I could ring her and find the year but I can't be bothered as you will find criteria to say it does not count.
You are right in this case,

I don't know why you bothered either Casper as the criteria is for a MAJOR Motor Racing Championship not a junior karting championship such as jnl, albeit quite a significant achievement for Linda.

There have been a huge number of girls that have started off in karts and have done extremely well,but very few seem to go on with it and take their driving talent from karts to another class in car racing and then seem to just fade away and are never heard of again.
Old 19 May 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2464935)   #186
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to be an Australian problem.Leanne Tander leading ace in Aus F3 last year-best offer seems to be to drive the safety car.Why is she not in the V8 supercars? Would like to see her come to europe.
Old 19 May 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2464972)   #187
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Seems to be an Australian problem.Leanne Tander leading ace in Aus F3 last year-best offer seems to be to drive the safety car.Why is she not in the V8 supercars? Would like to see her come to europe.
Wasn't DTM a possibility at one point?
Old 16 Nov 2009, 05:43 (Ref:2582608)   #188
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Another year in motor racing has come and is just about gone and still no female has won a major championship for pavement circuit style car racing.

Why is this so, anybody care to comment?
Old 16 Nov 2009, 05:56 (Ref:2582611)   #189
Nero
Racer

Nero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you mean apart from the fact that they probably make up less than 1% of CAMS lic holders and constantly have to put up with ignorant fools telling them that they are not as good?
Old 16 Nov 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2582619)   #190
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Another year in motor racing has come and is just about gone and still no female has won a major championship for pavement circuit style car racing.

Why is this so, anybody care to comment?
Maybe in AUS but here in UK Sarah Moore age 16yrs has just won Ginetta Jnr.series-look to have promising future.Still don't think there are more than 1% of licence holders female.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2582632)   #191
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was driving an FIV at the Alpine Rally around Lakes Entrance over the weekend and there is a lot of female competitors in gravel rallying, downside is the majority are navigating and not driving
Old 16 Nov 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2582736)   #192
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Samantha Reid is driving Leanne Tanders Improved production RX7 at the Nationals at PI this weekend. The car is fast but she hasn't had much time in the car, so it will be interesting to see how she goes.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 16 Nov 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2582755)   #193
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to her. Also, Lauren Gray will drive in the 12-Hour next year with her old man. It would be nice to see a women or two get a good break in Australian motorsport.
Also, did anyone watch the doco about Leanne Tander on the weekend? Garth seemed to get more air-time than Leanne did...
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 16 Nov 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2583021)   #194
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Emma Gilmore has just finished 2nd to Cody Crocker in the Asia Pacific Rally Championship which finished a few days ago, and she continued driving when she broke her wrist during the final event the Rally of China. That was a pretty gutsy effort and one worthy of anyone trying to win a championship
Old 16 Nov 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2583151)   #195
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Just to remind everybody that the criteria for this is a MAJOR MOTOR RACING OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP like F1, Indy Car, Nascar,Nationwide, Formula 3, BTCC, V8 Supercars etc.etc.,not junior Karting titles,Drag,Rallying,Bikes,Boats that others want to throw into the mix.

All the above achievements by females is great and congratulations to them all,quite a few girls have outstanding talent in Karting Juniors and progressive classes from there but NONE have ever Won a Championship like above.

Yes,they are a minority group in the big ocean of motor racing but that dosent hide their talents if they have any.

WHY haven't they won a Championship ???????????????????????
Old 16 Nov 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2583169)   #196
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just to remind everybody that the criteria for this is a MAJOR MOTOR RACING OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP like F1, Indy Car, Nascar,Nationwide, Formula 3, BTCC, V8 Supercars etc.etc.,not junior Karting titles,Drag,Rallying,Bikes,Boats that others want to throw into the mix.

All the above achievements by females is great and congratulations to them all,quite a few girls have outstanding talent in Karting Juniors and progressive classes from there but NONE have ever Won a Championship like above.

Yes,they are a minority group in the big ocean of motor racing but that dosent hide their talents if they have any.

Probably for the same reason 99.9% of male racing drivers have not won a major championship.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 22:20 (Ref:2583170)   #197
Jacob Black
Rookie

Jacob Black should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
you mean apart from the fact that they probably make up less than 1% of CAMS lic holders and constantly have to put up with ignorant fools telling them that they are not as good?
Quote:
Dasher... can you read?
Old 16 Nov 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2583174)   #198
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Black View Post
Dasher... can you read?
Is that why,never would have thought of that as a reason, well thats it then.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 22:37 (Ref:2583187)   #199
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why?? Because motor sport around the world is male dominated, testosterone overloaded sport where women have been treated like trophies, swapped between drivers arms and told to stand in the corner half naked showing there wears for the benefit of the sponsors and all other males at the track. Work on removing the stigma that all women at the track need to just be trophies or display pieces and then you might get somewhere.

There are women out there capable of winning, rather than riding on the coat tales of "I'm a woman in male dominated sport", they need to get there heads down and stick it to men. Plain and simple. I'm sick of seeing all there PR pieces in telecast about how they have struggled against all the men, and "I'm not here to make up numbers". Enough talk, time to put it on the line.

Results mean everything in this sport.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2583267)   #200
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
More women in Motor Sport can only be a good thing. As long as they arn't there
simply because they are female.

My belief is that if more woman raced cars, more women will watch, be involved,etc.

That can only be good for the sport.