Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 Nov 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2991968)   #176
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Has any one, any experience with going to Le Mans Alone?
unfortunately none of my friends are Le Mans fans, so if i'm going this year, i'm probably going alone, and therefor I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
Old 27 Nov 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2991974)   #177
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
When you arrive at Le Mans you are not longer alone .
Old 27 Nov 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2991976)   #178
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
When you arrive at Le Mans you are not longer alone .
True, but still .
Old 27 Nov 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2991980)   #179
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think once there then it is fine it's really the travelling which could be a bit depressing/expensive. Depends how bad you want it really.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2991982)   #180
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
True, but still .

Did you have a concrete Plan ??
Old 27 Nov 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2991985)   #181
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Well... No.

I'm probably going with a travel company, probably by coach.
I want to be there Tuesday, and explore the track and everything before the race (i'll try to get a bike with me). What i'm worried about is having no one to share the race with, like commenting certain events and generally chat when there is no track action .
Old 28 Nov 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2992292)   #182
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Big community here Matthias - chances are that you can find someone to 'buddy up' with!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2992378)   #183
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Big community here Matthias - chances are that you can find someone to 'buddy up' with!
Sounds good . I'm getting a lot closer to just doing it! - just need a way to get my bike with me
Old 28 Nov 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2992588)   #184
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sounds good . I'm getting a lot closer to just doing it! - just need a way to get my bike with me
Do you really need a bike? I can see how it would be an advantage in some senses but a definite hindrance in others. There is a regular and free shuttle bus to reach the far ends of the circuit. I'd always be worried about having to watch it so it doesn't get stolen.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2992597)   #185
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well... No.

I'm probably going with a travel company, probably by coach.
I want to be there Tuesday, and explore the track and everything before the race (i'll try to get a bike with me). What i'm worried about is having no one to share the race with, like commenting certain events and generally chat when there is no track action .
don't worry you will not be on your own, check out who is camping where closer to the race and I am sure that you will meet up with one of us before the usual meet on saturday
Old 28 Nov 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2992599)   #186
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Got confirmation of Eurotunnel booking this morning so camping, tickets, aco membership and transport sorted and paid for, and still over 6 months to go, that is a record for me
Old 28 Nov 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2992608)   #187
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Nadine has worked her majic again and I have my Tertre rouge tickets for next year, had to join the ACO this year but a small price to pay, now need to sort out everything else
Hi GT6,

I already booked using an agency for this year, but for upcoming years I don't think I'll be wanting to pay the agency fees anymore. How does the Le Mans tourist office (known to you as 'Nadine') work? You just mail them with your preferences and ACO membership number? And from which date onwards was this possible this year? Or did you mail her the day after last year's race, as I usually do with the agency?

Thx in advance,

Vincent
Old 28 Nov 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2992681)   #188
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Has any one, any experience with going to Le Mans Alone?
unfortunately none of my friends are Le Mans fans, so if i'm going this year, i'm probably going alone, and therefor I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
I've done Le Mans solo three times. The campsites are always social (both for party animals and for more introverted), plus there is the TT meet to look forward to. You'll have fun!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2992708)   #189
Dented Table
Rookie

United States
Flagstaff, AZ
Dented Table should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a 50/50% chance as of now. Wish I could confirm it.

- Buddha
Old 29 Nov 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2992881)   #190
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just got confirmation of camping & grandstands , ferry booked can't wait for June.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2993198)   #191
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm. Interesting. Wife and I drove down during our first French road trip in the summer. Spent a memorable afternoon at the museum and nearly bought tickets for the 24hr bike event, until spotting it was on daughter's birthday.

Seriously tempted for this year so might be back here for rookie visitor advice sometime.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2993597)   #192
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Hi GT6,

I already booked using an agency for this year, but for upcoming years I don't think I'll be wanting to pay the agency fees anymore. How does the Le Mans tourist office (known to you as 'Nadine') work? You just mail them with your preferences and ACO membership number? And from which date onwards was this possible this year? Or did you mail her the day after last year's race, as I usually do with the agency?

Thx in advance,

Vincent
This year was a little different, i had to join the ACO to get the camping before it was sold out, but if you e mail her before the ticket release date she will send you the application form and as an agent for the ACO process it for you on the release date, she has for the last 10 years always come up trumps and also manages to get me classic camping and tickets as well.
Her job at the tourist office is as the link for all race related matters so you will also help to make sure she keeps her job. Her english is perfect and having meet her last year I am only to glad to advertise her services to all.
Please use her rather than an agent you will also save a small fortune
Old 30 Nov 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2993617)   #193
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
This year was a little different, i had to join the ACO to get the camping before it was sold out, but if you e mail her before the ticket release date she will send you the application form
I am already an ACO member so that's allright with me.

Quote:
Her job at the tourist office is as the link for all race related matters so you will also help to make sure she keeps her job. Her english is perfect and having meet her last year I am only to glad to advertise her services to all.
English speaking French are a rare breed indeed, and I am more than willing to help with her not getting the sack.

Quote:
Please use her rather than an agent you will also save a small fortune
More beer money!

Thank you GT6!
Old 1 Dec 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2993817)   #194
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
English speaking French are a rare breed indeed, and I am more than willing to help with her not getting the sack.
I'm not sure I agree with that! I've personally found that most French speak English - even in the village patisserie - but what they prefer is for you to speak French - and we should! (Although not necessarily when buying tickets! And says he whose French is hopeless!)
Old 1 Dec 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2993868)   #195
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that! I've personally found that most French speak English - even in the village patisserie - but what they prefer is for you to speak French - and we should! (Although not necessarily when buying tickets! And says he whose French is hopeless!)
I always first address people in their native tongue (if I know how to). But I've experienced a little bit too often that it is not a matter of 'I cannot speak English' but more like 'I don't want to speak English'. Sadly enough, the latter ruin it for the former. As happens a lot...
Old 1 Dec 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2993905)   #196
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Possibly, but in the main, my experience has been that their English is vastly better than our French. If you at least try, they respect you all the more for it.

Years ago I went over with the brother of quite a famous cricketer in our group. He refused to even try to speak French. In the Village he tried about 10 times to order 'sausage and chips'. They refused to understand - they did, of course. But it was his insistence that they must surely understand and his unwillingness to try and order in French (I mean, how difficult is ordering food at the circuit in French...?), that caused the problem. He didn't get served.....
Old 1 Dec 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2994039)   #197
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But I've experienced a little bit too often that it is not a matter of 'I cannot speak English' but more like 'I don't want to speak English'.
In my experience, "I don't want to" means "I'm not confident I can". Most people understand but can't string the words together in the other language fast enough or with good enough pronunciation. I see it every year with my fellow commissaires. So we use a pidgin made up of hand gestures, English, French, and sound effects. A "Pescarolo!" with a wide grin goes a long way.

keke
Old 2 Dec 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2994353)   #198
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Ticket request for teamDOT was emailed to the ACO this morning.
teamDOT's arrangements for tickets/travel/digs are now finalised.........

Ticket allocation received from ACO as requested - Parking Blanc and Tribune 17 (Durand).

Ayse and I have an overnight crossing on the Saturday (scrutineering here we come ), Tony an overnight crossing on the Tuesday, and we all return to Blighty on the same late afternoon crossing on the Monday.

And, we will be staying at our usual digs.

Old 2 Dec 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2994464)   #199
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sounds good teamDOT. Have many years do you need to have gone to be considered a team?

The only thing I want to do slightly differently this year is to try and get in a couple of hours earlier on the Tuesday to make the afternoon autograph session.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2994483)   #200
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I wonder if CTD will be joining me in Le Mans town centre to watch England v Sweden on Mad Friday?