Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Oct 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2974434)   #176
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the risk of being annoying like last time, here's my guess of where we're at with a grid so far.

Confirmed:
2x Honda Racing NGTC Civics.
2x Pirtek Racing NGTC Civics.
2x STR Seat Leons.
2x RAR Audi A4s.
2x Welch Automotive Proton Gen-2s.
2x TH Motorsport Skoda Octavias.
2-3x Thorney Motorsport Vauxhall Insignias.
2x Dynojet Toyota Avensi (likely destination of Adam Morgan).
2x Geoff Steel Racing Turbo BMWs.

Likely:
2x Silverline Chevrolet NGTC Cruzes.
2-3x Airwaves Racing Ford Focus (Team AON to sell newer cars to Airwaves if they move to WTCC?).
2x Tech Speed/Go Mobile Chevrolet Cruzes.
2x WSR NGTC/turbo BMWs.
2-3x Triple 8 NGTC cars.
1x AmD Milltek VW Golf.
1x Speedworks Toyota Avensis.

Maybe:
1x ES Racing (Chris James mentioned possible NGTC route - but where's the funding coming from?)
1x Central Group Racing (Honda Integra now no longer eligible to race).
2-3x Team AON NGTC cars (if they don't go to WTCC).
Old 20 Oct 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2974438)   #177
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I really, really don't think Motorbase will be using the new S2000 Focus. Why would they?

Options.

1. Keep existing S2000+NGTC engine Focus. No reason to use new model when the older one has been arguably quicker this year, for just a single years use next (will have to go NGTC for 2013).

2. Build or buy a full NGTC car. Given they have their current Focus up for sale, one imagines this is the plan!
Old 20 Oct 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2974439)   #178
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
There was a rumour that Motorbase could build their own NGTC car, possibly from the Ford family, and maybe the Mondeo. Just a rumour, treat it as such.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2974526)   #179
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Picked up on a comment that was just a joke from his behalf. Don't know if anyone else heard it at Silverstone last weekend. Nick Tandy was interviewed after the second Porsche race and mentioned about wanting to have a go in one of Motorbase's touring cars.

As I say, probably just a throw away comment, but interesting. Would be great to see someone of that calibre enter the series.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2974776)   #180
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
Confirmed:
2x Geoff Steel Racing Turbo BMWs.
Geoff Steel Racing has one of their 320si's for sale (the NA one), so they might just be looking at entering one E90 with an NGTC powerplant.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2974839)   #181
SteveLevin
Rookie

United States
near the Corkscrew!
SteveLevin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
I really, really don't think Motorbase will be using the new S2000 Focus. Why would they?

Options.

1. Keep existing S2000+NGTC engine Focus. No reason to use new model when the older one has been arguably quicker this year, for just a single years use next (will have to go NGTC for 2013).

2. Build or buy a full NGTC car. Given they have their current Focus up for sale, one imagines this is the plan!
That assumes that we've seen the last of the parity changes Not sure I'd bet even a plate of chips on that one!

Steve
Old 1 Nov 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2980180)   #182
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2736
Just found this on the BTCC website that says there will be a revised points system that will down to 15th place for 2012. I guess that is to accommodate the larger grid sizes.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2980192)   #183
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The engine testing by Lotus also announced (in the same article) is a good idea, but how many non-turbo engines were we expecting next season?

I'm not sure anyone finishing 15th out of a starting grid of say 26/28 deserves any points. Given the usual amount of BTCC panel bashing and throw in the standard amount of technical failures, I rekon that in an average race there are unlikely to be much more than say 22 or 23 cars running at the end (sometime even less), and the vast majority would score points. Still, at least they are not planning anything completely off the wall like BSB's ridiculous shoot-out system.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2980213)   #184
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Picked up on a comment that was just a joke from his behalf. Don't know if anyone else heard it at Silverstone last weekend. Nick Tandy was interviewed after the second Porsche race and mentioned about wanting to have a go in one of Motorbase's touring cars.

As I say, probably just a throw away comment, but interesting. Would be great to see someone of that calibre enter the series.
He was heard to say that more than once over the Silverstone weekend.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2980251)   #185
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The engine testing by Lotus also announced (in the same article) is a good idea, but how many non-turbo engines were we expecting next season?

I'm not sure anyone finishing 15th out of a starting grid of say 26/28 deserves any points. Given the usual amount of BTCC panel bashing and throw in the standard amount of technical failures, I rekon that in an average race there are unlikely to be much more than say 22 or 23 cars running at the end (sometime even less), and the vast majority would score points. Still, at least they are not planning anything completely off the wall like BSB's ridiculous shoot-out system.
Yeah the shoot out system is a bad idea. I agree with 15 being too much, if I was going to increase the amount of points paying positions I would only pull it down to 12th maximum.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2980284)   #186
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The existing system was not broken and did not need fixing.

Honestly, if they want to 'reward' more drivers they might as well say that the driver with the highest average finishing position wins the championship...

EDIT - At least the perennial backmarker Chris James might be happier now, if he is to continue.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2980324)   #187
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I guess this whole engine tinkering thing is to legitimise the restrictions on the Honda engines?
Old 1 Nov 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2980369)   #188
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems strange that they have Lotus doing engine testing, when there is a Proton in the BTCC.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2980372)   #189
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Seems strange that they have Lotus doing engine testing, when there is a Proton in the BTCC.
Errm you mightnt have thought that one through. the Proton uses the TOCA engine, not a Proton engine. Same engine as in the Vectras.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2980670)   #190
bazzmch
Rookie

Ireland
dublin
bazzmch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Hes doing a test in it as a thankyou for winning the 3 supercup races for motorbase
Old 3 Nov 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2981284)   #191
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Errm you mightnt have thought that one through. the Proton uses the TOCA engine, not a Proton engine. Same engine as in the Vectras.
If Proton run a Proton engine, TOCA will look stupid.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2981288)   #192
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
If Proton run a Proton engine, TOCA will look stupid.
you dont think they would have thought about that?
besides lotus do engineering work for all sorts of other car companies and its just head flow comparison testing. its not full engine testing.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 03:34 (Ref:2981330)   #193
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lotus Engineering isn't the same company as Lotus Cars, but are under the same Group Lotus umbrella. A bit like Red Bull Technology designing the Toro Rosso F1 cars, they are owned by Red Bull but aren't the same as Red Bull Racing.
Old 5 Nov 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2981878)   #194
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two NGTC cars for ES Racing next year.

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews...orm&searchterm
Old 5 Nov 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2981905)   #195
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Two NGTC cars for ES Racing next year.

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews...orm&searchterm
Awesome
Old 5 Nov 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2981907)   #196
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So let's say one car and possibly a second? Ambitious plans from a team seemingly on a shoestring budget.
Old 5 Nov 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2981911)   #197
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a big jump for a team that drove around at the back every round and seemed to struggle
Old 5 Nov 2011, 16:32 (Ref:2981938)   #198
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
So let's say one car and possibly a second? Ambitious plans from a team seemingly on a shoestring budget.
“Running two NGTC cars was always our intention and now this is almost in place it confirms our standing as one of the top flight teams in the BTCC.”

Sounds like 2 cars is the plan.
Old 5 Nov 2011, 16:38 (Ref:2981941)   #199
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
File that one under 'believe it when I see it'

Quote:
“.. it confirms our standing as one of the top flight teams in the BTCC.”
Top flight team.... in their dreams maybe
Old 5 Nov 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2981959)   #200
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
“Running two NGTC cars was always our intention and now this is almost in place it confirms our standing as one of the top flight teams in the BTCC.”

Sounds like 2 cars is the plan.
C'mon, how many times do people say they can run extra cars and they don't. I'm taking this with an enormous pinch of salt. If they couldn't afford brand new tyres this year, how can they afford a whole up-to-date car?