Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 29 Jun 2013, 02:29 (Ref:3271460)   #176
Nigel TV3
Racer

Nigel TV3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
You might see a few less too. How do the poor sods competing in CC explain to their sponsors why they didn't get the TV coverage they were promised? How many sponsors will pull their support because they've been let down?

Nigel, do you and your colleagues have any idea how long some dad's-and-their-lads spend putting CV's and proposals together, groveling to anyone who will listen to put together a racing budget?

It's yet another nail in the "young drivers trying to get a break in NZ motor sport" coffin. Good call TV3!
Hi On to it,

I appreciate and understand your comments but TV3 never promised coverage for CC. Can I suggest you discuss that issue with ST management. Shaun and I are keen to play CC but I must be fiscally responsible to the Network, if I am not then the survival of CRC Motorsport is put at risk. More cars on the grid and we will happily support the category.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 02:35 (Ref:3271461)   #177
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
Another question for you Nigel. The Suzy's were aired with single digit fields, yet you want 12-15 for CC before they get a look in. There must be more than field numbers to your decision because I don't follow yours maths?
To answer your next question. There is an agreement in place with Suzuki and Utes for coverage this year on CRC Motorsport. Both catgeries are trying their best to deliver 15 plus fields and I appreciate their efforts, so hopefully by the time we get to the Enduros we are close.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 02:45 (Ref:3271462)   #178
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
I think I recall seeing the 'Uki coverage on 3 draped with Suzuki advertising - so I'd assume they're also tipping some money into TV.
Hi HP, we all know the value of sponsors and if it wasn't for CRC, TV3 would not have a Motorsport Show, I am very grateful for their continuing support. I am also grateful to Suzuki as they came to the party when Sky dumped MotoGP and left many fans disappointed. Suzuki help with the TV Rights costs of MotoGP (they are not cheap) so it's a big pat on the back for Suzuki, if it wasn't for Suzuki there would be no MotoGP.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 02:58 (Ref:3271464)   #179
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
so what happened to the promised improved tv package deal for the CC class the season?
Promax, you have a very valid point. Previously to the last Round at Puke, David Turner (Perspective Group) Shaun and myself were responsible for the ST coverage, and I will be honest with you, we were pretty proud of what we achieved on the budget available. For Pukekohe the new ST Management wanted to save money and gave the responsibility of delivering TV to a local production company, and we all know the result.. Not great. From a Network perspective I have informed ST management they need to improve the production standards considerably for the next Round at Taupo... Fingers crossed they do. If you have any questions regarding the TV coverage for Puke can I suggest you direct them to ST Management.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 03:05 (Ref:3271465)   #180
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
so what happened to the promised improved tv package deal for the CC class the season?
You lot are keeping me busy today... To clarify, TV3 did not promise Television coverage of CC for this year. I informed ST management early in the year that I would support the Category once there were sufficient numbers. So I am not sure where the misinformation has come from. Hope this helps.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 04:29 (Ref:3271471)   #181
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel TV3 View Post
So I am not sure where the misinformation has come from. Hope this helps.
there was a press release before the start the CC season. a decent tv deal was one of the selling points for the class.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 04:38 (Ref:3271474)   #182
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
there was a press release before the start the CC season. a decent tv deal was one of the selling points for the class.
Promax, that Media Release was not published by TV3 nor was it sanctioned by TV3.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 04:43 (Ref:3271476)   #183
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So reading between the lines the promoters of CC lied?
Old 29 Jun 2013, 04:46 (Ref:3271477)   #184
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
So reading between the lines the promoters of CC lied?
Lied might be a bit strong, but it certainly appears to be "all talk and no walk"!!
Old 29 Jun 2013, 04:49 (Ref:3271478)   #185
Swedish Brick
Racer

Yeah, true. Maybe there was a misunderstanding between them and TV3.
Still, someone hasn't read something right and cocked up .
Old 29 Jun 2013, 04:57 (Ref:3271480)   #186
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Promax, that Media Release was not published by TV3 nor was it sanctioned by TV3.
not having a dig at tv3. just wondering what happened to the deal.. if there was actually a deal in the first place.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 05:10 (Ref:3271483)   #187
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
not having a dig at tv3. just wondering what happened to the deal.. if there was actually a deal in the first place.
Good question Promax.. Last year, as a gesture of goodwill, CRC Motorsport screened CC in conjunction with ST, as Mark P was keen on CC getting as much promotion as possible. Earlier this year I informed ST management that I couldn't justify playing CC until the numbers increased.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 05:15 (Ref:3271486)   #188
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
So from now on, it appears the claims from the CC promoter can't be accepted as given unless you validate them with the TV production company and the network. What a shambles!

I'm gutted we don't have adequate budget to race anymore, but I certainly don't miss all the bull that goes on this sport.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 06:31 (Ref:3271501)   #189
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I couldn't justify playing CC until the numbers increased.
so sod all different to the support from the same car owners when MSNZ had it .

dosn't make any sense to me, as pointed out earlier, theres plenty of cars scattered around the country to make a feild
Old 29 Jun 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3271517)   #190
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I have a TL car with the choice of two series....

One a MSNZ championship, will be top dog for touring cars at meetings, get good position in race schedules, compete all over NZ, guaranteed TV.

Other a support class, only compete in North Island, questionable TV

Now which one do I put my sponsor raising efforts into???

Really is a no brainier at this point of time
Old 29 Jun 2013, 07:39 (Ref:3271518)   #191
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I have a TL car with the choice of two series....

One a MSNZ championship, will be top dog for touring cars at meetings, get good position in race schedules, compete all over NZ, guaranteed TV.

Other a support class, only compete in North Island, questionable TV

Now which one do I put my sponsor raising efforts into???

Really is a no brainier at this point of time
Old 30 Jun 2013, 04:20 (Ref:3271764)   #192
Jackkofoed
Rookie

Jackkofoed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You might see a few less too. How do the poor sods competing in CC explain to their sponsors why they didn't get the TV coverage they were promised? How many sponsors will pull their support because they've been let down?

Nigel, do you and your colleagues have any idea how long some dad's-and-their-lads spend putting CV's and proposals together, groveling to anyone who will listen to put together a racing budget?

It's yet another nail in the "young drivers trying to get a break in NZ motor sport" coffin. Good call TV3!
100% agree. I put a huge amount of effort into getting my partner's together and count myself extremely lucky to have them all....still after no TV for 2 rounds.

I don't believe that the number's of cars is a justified reason not to air our class. Yes it's not a great look at the track and maybe the first lap of coverage. But even when we have over 12 cars. No one below P5 gets any coverage after lap 1. Our racing at Pukekohe was close and exciting.

We have the highest running costs by far of the support classes, our racing is close and exciting in my view. The one way to discourage current and prospective driver's is to not give the class the 20 minutes of air time. Who in their right mind will throw $10-12,000 at racing in a class that appears to get next to no coverage?

Every dollar I earn in between rounds goes towards my CC campaign as well as sponsorship dollars and even still I sometimes can't even afford a new set of tires at some events. It's not cheap, even for a well off family backed driver.

I think its critical for the Pukekohe coverage to get on TV for us to have decent number's at one of the more expensive rounds. Sure ST will have it all sorted for Taupo though =)

Last edited by Jackkofoed; 30 Jun 2013 at 04:27.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 05:03 (Ref:3271766)   #193
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackkofoed View Post
100% agree. I put a huge amount of effort into getting my partner's together and count myself extremely lucky to have them all....still after no TV for 2 rounds.

I don't believe that the number's of cars is a justified reason not to air our class. Yes it's not a great look at the track and maybe the first lap of coverage. But even when we have over 12 cars. No one below P5 gets any coverage after lap 1. Our racing at Pukekohe was close and exciting.

We have the highest running costs by far of the support classes, our racing is close and exciting in my view. The one way to discourage current and prospective driver's is to not give the class the 20 minutes of air time. Who in their right mind will throw $10-12,000 at racing in a class that appears to get next to no coverage?

Every dollar I earn in between rounds goes towards my CC campaign as well as sponsorship dollars and even still I sometimes can't even afford a new set of tires at some events. It's not cheap, even for a well off family backed driver.

I think its critical for the Pukekohe coverage to get on TV for us to have decent number's at one of the more expensive rounds. Sure ST will have it all sorted for Taupo though =)
maybe there is a lessen in this thread for aspiring racers and 'new' sic sponsors....do your homework thoroughly before you promise your sponsors the earth and before you promise your drivers the earth.
there are always 'yep she should be televised mate' comments/promises/guess's out there in most sports..if you are serious and deals hinge on TV then find out for real what the go is.....
in reading this thread it really appears that deals were done mainly on hearsay...sorry but our commercial world doesnt work that way.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 05:22 (Ref:3271769)   #194
Swedish Brick
Racer

Hearsay? Or the promoters word? Or was it more than words and in writing somewhere?
Old 30 Jun 2013, 05:30 (Ref:3271771)   #195
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
in reading this thread it really appears that deals were done mainly on hearsay
Absolute rubbish. Here's some more "hearsay".....

From the V8ST site - "...series coordinator Stephen Gillard. “The V8 Challenge Cup is the TL series with the highest profile meetings and the terrestrial TV coverage and the Cogent Cup is another great reason to get involved."

And - "The V8 Challenge Cup will also enjoy terrestrial television coverage on TV3's Gillette Motorsport show with all five rounds screened in a delayed highlights programme - perfect for any driver or car sponsor."

Yet we've all heard the official position from TV3, and none of the above has been acknowledged by them.

So it goes back to what I said in a previous post - if competitors can't take the word of the class promoters at face value, it confirms to me yet again how sad and dodgy the business side of our sport has become.

And don't think for a second that potential sponsors won't get wind of these goings-on. They're hardly lining up to be involved in motorsport as it is!
Old 30 Jun 2013, 05:55 (Ref:3271772)   #196
harcey
Racer

the website also still promises an ST test at each round(for someone ,not necesarily the winner)...havent heard anyone moaning about that one.....i cant see any mention of TV coverage in the sporting regs for CC..If you ask for a TV schedule and it cant or wont be given to you then i think you tell sponsors we 'may' get some coverage.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 06:16 (Ref:3271774)   #197
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
the website also still promises an ST test at each round(for someone ,not necesarily the winner)...havent heard anyone moaning about that one.....i cant see any mention of TV coverage in the sporting regs for CC..If you ask for a TV schedule and it cant or wont be given to you then i think you tell sponsors we 'may' get some coverage.
The promise of a test has nothing to do with the absence of TV coverage does it. I have yet to read any class regs that mention TV anyway, so I think that's a bit of red herring. We'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 06:24 (Ref:3271776)   #198
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
scoop.co.nz 6 May 2013

“We have several huge announcements to come and we are unashamedly aiming to attract all owners of TL specification cars to run in our series. We are on the card with the premier V8 series in New Zealand – BNT V8 SuperTourers, we offer terrestrial TV which sponsors tell us is much more valuable to them than satellite delivered coverage and that’s only the beginning. It’s really a case of watch this space - you won’t have to wait too long.”
Old 30 Jun 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3271780)   #199
Member CCC
Rookie

Member CCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Richard I would have thought this NZV8 newsletter clearly states what was promised:

Dear Shareholders,
Many of you will no doubt have seen the media statement but will be wondering what does it mean for NZV8 competitors. Your directors are satisfied with the outcome of their negotiations the main elements of which are.
1 VEEGA is free to organise races at any other race meeting than one promoted by V8ST.
2 VEEGA will be totally autonomous in its rules and regulations, paddock etc. V8ST will make available its judicial system including V8ST’s independent court of appeal.
3 VEEGA owns all its intellectual property, commercial and promotional rights.
4 VEEGA will be given prominence as the main support category at V8ST events.
5 V8ST will produce and put to air coverage of VEEGA races in the same programme as V8ST’s coverage at no cost to VEEGA. VEEGA will also be provided with a clean feed of the coverage which we are free to market as we wish.
6 VEEGA is free to deal with V8ST’s promotions company with no fee payable to V8ST for sponsorship secured.
7 For 2013 VEEGA shareholders will pay only MSNZ fees to enter V8ST events, after then only those not contesting all V8ST rounds will be required to pay a fee. MSNZ fees payable by all of course.
8 VEEGA category competitors will each receive 6 passes and 1 vehicle pass. VEEGA will receive 10 officials passes and 10 vehicle passes. VEEGA will receive 50 ground admission passes for the naming rights sponsor.
9 The term of the agreement is indefinite except by mutual agreement or if we fail to field more than 10 entries on two consecutive occasions.
On behalf of the Board,
Greg Lancaster
Chairman

Last edited by Member CCC; 30 Jun 2013 at 07:03.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 07:08 (Ref:3271782)   #200
harcey
Racer

i think all the haters are slightly missing my point....If you dont have access to a confirmed TV schedule you dont promise TV to sponsors to secure your deal..we have all read all the blurb and that is not being argued..infact there is so much B/S on various websites and social network sites you must be crazy to take it as gospel and sign the deal..i can only imagine how some ST sponsors are feeling right now after the same day coverage became week later edited highlights...