Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3253672)   #176
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
If Vettel was able to casually do a recordlap with such an advantage, than he could have used his rubber as wel to put a bit of pressure on Rosberg. That would have been better for the race, and improving his chances on a win. I thought is was at least a bit unprofessional.

Agree entirely with this......cynical behaviour at best.
Old 26 May 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3253712)   #177
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
Wow that's an incredible last 2 laps. Epic moves there. Helps that your 6 secs a lap faster, but damn those were close moves as well. Those 3 drivers definitely didn't give much of a fight as they could easily have collided, especially cutting of Hulkenberg in the third move.
Old 26 May 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3253722)   #178
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Hamilton shouldn't have slowed during the first safety car. He could havd held his 2nd place.
Old 26 May 2013, 23:51 (Ref:3253733)   #179
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If Vettel was able to casually do a recordlap with such an advantage, than he could have used his rubber as wel to put a bit of pressure on Rosberg. That would have been better for the race, and improving his chances on a win. I thought is was at least a bit unprofessional.
Rosberg was in tire preservation mode the whole race, knowing he could match or better Vettel's pace if necessary. If Vettel had been more aggressive maybe he'd have run the risk of having to stop for tires again. In hindsight probably not, but I guess they decided to settle for 18 points after the SC. Yes, the fastest lap at the end was pointless. Maybe it's just a way of having some fun after a boring 78 lap procession.
Old 27 May 2013, 00:40 (Ref:3253750)   #180
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Blame the tyres, not RBR and Mercedes for deciding to cruise all race in order to preserve them in an attempt to do a one stopper.
Vettel had 2 seconds in the bag, as did Rosberg, as did Webber, as did Hamilton, as did almost everybody.

They did the right thing, Vettel's two closer rivals were struggling, no need to push there risking degradation or an accident.
Old 27 May 2013, 06:29 (Ref:3253828)   #181
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was only a matter of time before Perez had an accident with the way he was positioning his car into that particular corner.
Old 27 May 2013, 07:49 (Ref:3253851)   #182
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
Yes, the fastest lap at the end was pointless. Maybe it's just a way of having some fun after a boring 78 lap procession.
Rocky told Vettel on the radio to stop going for the fastest lap, because it was stupid and there are no points for fastest lap (or words to that effect), and Vettel's response was that he at least gets the satisfaction from it.
Old 27 May 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3253891)   #183
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Here's a few of my pictures from the race. I havent had time to look through many of them yet but thought that I'd post a few up for everyone:

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll be sorting out all my photos tonight so I'll upload them to my gallery tomorrow and post a link for it
Old 27 May 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3253897)   #184
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that the drivers were a bit over the top preserving the tyres. If Vettel had enough left to set fastest lap, why did he not use that grip to push Nico, hoping he'd make a mistake at least. Nico was very good though, the old phrase about winning at the slowest speed you need was used here. Nico didn't need to push really as Vettel was holding back and, if Vettel did decide to suddenly go for it, it's relatively easy to defend here. Yes the tyres need beefing up a bit, but I think Rosberg was driving tactically as much as anything.
Old 27 May 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3253902)   #185
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure it was Mansell who said that if you want to overtake here you have to start bashing wheels, which is pretty much exactly what Perez did. I say good on Perez for actually having a go.
Old 27 May 2013, 09:42 (Ref:3253912)   #186
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'm sure it was Mansell who said that if you want to overtake here you have to start bashing wheels, which is pretty much exactly what Perez did. I say good on Perez for actually having a go.
On the other hand he didn't finish the race...so was it worth it?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 27 May 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3253918)   #187
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
On the other hand he didn't finish the race...so was it worth it?
With the benefit of hindsight, no. However I think he should be applauded for not being happy to sit behind a train of cars and actually have a go.

I personally think that both mclarens were suffering with poor traction out of the slow corners which meant that any overtaking move came from a long way back. Contrast that with the Sutil or Kimi moves late on in the race and they had rather good traction and were right on the tail's of cars before diving down on the brakes.
Old 27 May 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3253940)   #188
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Grosjean thinks Ricciardo is at fault for the crash.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107719
Old 27 May 2013, 13:07 (Ref:3253968)   #189
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Grosjean thinks Ricciardo is at fault for the crash.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107719
Having read that, it sounds like a bunch of excuses. Grosjean is accident prone.
Old 27 May 2013, 13:08 (Ref:3253970)   #190
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perez was a case of not knowing when to quit while you're ahead. Had he cooled his brain, he'd finished sixth, been know for pulling two great moves on Button and Alonso, and would've had an edge over Button for the short term. Instead he gets donuts and the reputation that he might be an airhead. Before Whitmarsh told him to harden up. Now, it doesn't appear he knows when to attack or defend. I can't believe Croft was suggesting that maybe Raikkonen was at fault and Brundle saying Perez was "entitled" to some room. Rubbish! He was entitled to nothing, and that's what he got.

Raikkonen is a beast. Don't any of you who try to diminish him ever forget that!
Old 27 May 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3253978)   #191
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Nah, I personally think Raikkonen got it SLIGHTLY wrong there. Perez didn't have a chance to back out, he was at that 'point of no return'. Any other track and it wouldn't have been an issue.

It wasn't penalty worthy by any means, but I think if you do want to point blame one way or another, the scales slightly tip towards Kimi, and i'm a big Kimi fan.

Selby
Old 27 May 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3254002)   #192
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Nah, I personally think Raikkonen got it SLIGHTLY wrong there. Perez didn't have a chance to back out, he was at that 'point of no return'. Any other track and it wouldn't have been an issue.
Bud, we're going to avoid a long argument since it's nearly midnight here and I'm about to go to bed. But, there is no way anybody is pinning that on Raikkonen. It wasn't an insidious defence (as in Schumacher like), and Perez bit off more than he could chew barrelling in like that form that far back. Sometimes, you've got to know when to quit. Only if you are Ayrton Senna, do you try to be like Ayrton Senna. That's my advice to any driver, in any competition.
Old 27 May 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3254009)   #193
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Maybe, but you end up reaping what you sow eventually.... And he did just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Bud, we're going to avoid a long argument since it's nearly midnight here and I'm about to go to bed. But, there is no way anybody is pinning that on Raikkonen. It wasn't an insidious defence (as in Schumacher like), and Perez bit off more than he could chew barrelling in like that form that far back. Sometimes, you've got to know when to quit. Only if you are Ayrton Senna, do you try to be like Ayrton Senna. That's my advice to any driver, in any competition.
It could well be the first and only time, but I agree with you 100%....
Old 27 May 2013, 14:27 (Ref:3254022)   #194
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say the same !
Old 27 May 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3254046)   #195
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
You can make things happen, watch things happen, or wonder what happened.
Old 27 May 2013, 15:55 (Ref:3254059)   #196
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
JB's most satisfying moment must have been placing his car in just the right place to stop Checo diving for the pits. Not that it made much difference in the end.

I'm a JB fan (tough though that can be at times) but it has been clear for years that Jenson needs a perfect car in order to give of his best. Dragging a dog into unrepresentative results is not his thing. It therefore follows that 2013 is not going to be a JB year, but he must be careful not to sound like a grumpy old man moaning at being beaten by a precocious talent (think Alonso and Hamilton).

Having said that, Checo didn't actually look like a precocious talent this weekend. More like an over-desperate youngster who could only gain places on people who have a better-developed sense of self-preservation than he has.
Old 27 May 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3254070)   #197
GTE
Rookie

Netherlands
GTE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
people who have a better-developed sense of self-preservation than he has.
well said!
Old 27 May 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3254078)   #198
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
JB's most satisfying moment must have been placing his car in just the right place to stop Checo diving for the pits.
I must admit I laughed like a drain when I saw that......
Old 27 May 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3254210)   #199
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I must admit I laughed like a drain when I saw that......
+1
Old 27 May 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3254223)   #200
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Having said that, Checo didn't actually look like a precocious talent this weekend. More like an over-desperate youngster who could only gain places on people who have a better-developed sense of self-preservation than he has.
well said. maybe he did go to the well one too many times with that move but the sense of self preservation cannot be underestimated and as it was proved with Alonso a number times yesterday is that he is willing to give way (as he did with Perez and as he did for everyone at Loews hairpin) in order to save a points paying positions..is that not something other drivers should take advantage of?

being sensible like Alonso was (having lost titles by a couple of points in the past) is usually considered a strength but Perez (and Sutil all be it in a cleaner fashion) showed it to be a weakness to be exploited.

i cant think of the last time i saw Alonso get schooled/sleeping at the wheel and it happened twice in one race. it made me think of Schumi in Japan 2005 when both Kimi and Alonso schooled him at 130R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

It wasn't penalty worthy by any means, but I think if you do want to point blame one way or another, the scales slightly tip towards Kimi, and i'm a big Kimi fan.

Selby
agree with the not penalty worthy part. i would have also gone with racing incident but still leaning towards 70/30 towards Perez as the culprit and if thats enough for a penalty then thats the rules i guess.

Perez proved the move worked already and it was a rather a clever piece of reasoning to recognize that the championship leaders are vulnerable to the concept of giving up a spot in order to preserve a non podium points position (is it worth fighting over 2 points?).

surely Kimi had been pre warned that Perez was passing people at this spot, so Kimi must have known it was coming and he hasn't put this streak of his together by getting sucked into these kinds of battles. hes far to pragmatic for that so i was quite surprised he chose contact rather than move over.

at the time i thought he might have been worried about getting an in race penalty if he himself went off track but still defending there was uncharacteristic of Kimi imo

certainly you just cant go running into people but because he had made the move before Perez does at least deserve some of the benefit of the doubt here and the fact that he failed to pull it off one time out of three puts this into the realm of racing incident as opposed to outright carelessness imo.