Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 11 Sep 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3452264)   #176
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
I still can't believe the 2014 season ended in August. The decision to end IndyCar seasons so early is one of the most moronic things to happen to IndyCar in the recent time. It's not way forward. It's way back into irrelevance even further. The cons at Boston Consulting Group are still laughing their ass off all the way to the bank at getting paid for providing this helpful "advise".
Mike Miles thought it would help IndyCar with viewing figures and track attendance, if they didn't have to compeat with the NFL. Personally I think that's wrong because he's making the assumption that all IndyCar fans are NFL fans and viewing figures and track attendance will suddenly plummet. I would think that most IndyCar fans would follow a race as well as their favourite team, or teams and with multi-media, tablets, smart-phones etc, this can be done.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3452297)   #177
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
he's making the assumption that all IndyCar fans are NFL fans
No, that's not the argument. The argument is that NFL dominates the sports media coverage in the United States. IndyCar audience would plummet because media and people are focused on NFL.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 23:42 (Ref:3452323)   #178
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
No, that's not the argument. The argument is that NFL dominates the sports media coverage in the United States. IndyCar audience would plummet because media and people are focused on NFL.
The NFL dominates sports media coverage, due to the hype and start of a new NFL season; it's that time of year and I get caught up in it but once the season's got going and like any other sports series, it settles down. The 'clash' with the NFL, wouldn't stop me from watching a race. You hear that Mike Miles?
Old 12 Sep 2014, 05:17 (Ref:3452443)   #179
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chef

Why don't teams make all their cars red so they go faster?
#v8sforlyf
Old 13 Sep 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3452991)   #180
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Robin Miller has a column out on the IndyCar schedule. Some highlights:
I have to agree with a lot of that. The speedway folks still seem to think they are the boss and they'll just do whatever and everyone needs to suck it up.

Really what they need to do is be more flexible to match races with sensible dates that work locally in a market.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3452993)   #181
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Seeing how the media and people are already focused on the NFL among other things, I don't think it matters.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 05:14 (Ref:3453795)   #182
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Close, but substitute the word “football” for “NFL” and you’d have a better version of the argument. The problem isn’t just the NFL, it’s also that college football absorbs a tremendous amount of media attention. My local paper (The Charlotte Observer) devoted 12 pages to college football this past Sunday.

(I'm not saying I find this argument necessarily strong enough to end the IndyCar season on Labor Day weekend but let’s at least admit the true scope of the issue.)
Old 16 Sep 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3453992)   #183
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Close, but substitute the word “football” for “NFL” and you’d have a better version of the argument.
Ok. In Uruguay it's worse, because 85% of sports coverage is football. 5% is national basketball and 5% to national cycling (during Carnaval and Eastern). Uruguayan media prefers to talk about UEFA Champions League instead of national rugby or athletics.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3454735)   #184
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A race in Bras*lia confirmed:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...2015/15832413/

So the offseason is at least a bit shorter!
Old 18 Sep 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3454737)   #185
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Brasilia confirmed for March 8th 2015.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/09/...15-race-lineup
Old 19 Sep 2014, 00:34 (Ref:3454852)   #186
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
11 rounds confirmed:

March 8 - Bras*lia
March 29 - St. Petersburg
April 12 - New Orleans
April 19 - Long Beach
April 26 - Barber
May 9 - Grand Prix of Indianapolis
May 24 - Indianapolis 500
May 30 - Detroit
June 6 - Texas
August 2 - Mid-Ohio
August 23 - Sonoma

Still to be confirmed are Canada, Iowa, Milwaukee, Pocono and Fontana
Old 19 Sep 2014, 02:49 (Ref:3454872)   #187
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it odd that they schedule New Orleans and Birmingham only 2 weeks apart - they're only about 350 miles away from each other.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 03:43 (Ref:3454887)   #188
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They probably already organized the date for the Long Beach Grand Prix earlier and couldn't move it around.
Old 20 Sep 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3455748)   #189
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's quite a busy schedule in April. Any rumours about the Canadian round?
Old 21 Sep 2014, 14:05 (Ref:3456308)   #190
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Btw, which IndyCar race would be the best to attend? I have no plans which major motorsports event I'm going to attend in 2015. This far I've attended at sports car events but I'm getting a little IndyCar fever. Of course Indy 500 is the greatest and I actually joined the waiting list, but there are lots of other options. Flight time is not really an issue since it's seven hours at shortest plus connecting flight to London, Frankfurt or other major European airport.

Races I won't consider are Brazil and Detroit.
Old 21 Sep 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3456318)   #191
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a lot of people like the Long Beach Grand Prix (if you're willing to fly all the way to California).

Barber is also supposed to be a very pretty race track (when it's sunny).
Old 21 Sep 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3456346)   #192
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
California definately has more pros than cons. Despite the distance, flights are affordable and there's lots of other attractions in California. In comparison, I can't imagine what else I could do in places like Lexington other than watch the race, eat, sleep and walk in the park (since there's no NHL games in Columbus during the late IndyCar season).
Old 24 Sep 2014, 01:27 (Ref:3457043)   #193
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
California definately has more pros than cons. Despite the distance, flights are affordable and there's lots of other attractions in California. In comparison, I can't imagine what else I could do in places like Lexington other than watch the race, eat, sleep and walk in the park (since there's no NHL games in Columbus during the late IndyCar season).
If you want a trip that would allow you to combine NHL and IndyCar, then I'd recommend St. Petersburg. The Tampa Bay Lightning are at home the week before the race. And if want to combine races, you can see half the IndyCar drivers in action a week earlier at Sebring too.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 12:57 (Ref:3457826)   #194
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my experience Texas is always fun. You can see the entire race track from nearly every seat, and nothing beats seeing the cars go by 2-wide at 200mph.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 13:29 (Ref:3457831)   #195
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's quite a busy schedule in April. Any rumours about the Canadian round?
Last I heard they are still working on it (this from someone who actually knows). So no news really, but it's most definitely not dead yet. Remember we have a municipal election coming in Toronto, and the existing mayor, a big supporter of the race, is no longer running, so it might have to wait until we see how that pans out.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 13:32 (Ref:3457833)   #196
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Btw, which IndyCar race would be the best to attend? I have no plans which major motorsports event I'm going to attend in 2015. This far I've attended at sports car events but I'm getting a little IndyCar fever. Of course Indy 500 is the greatest and I actually joined the waiting list, but there are lots of other options. Flight time is not really an issue since it's seven hours at shortest plus connecting flight to London, Frankfurt or other major European airport.

Races I won't consider are Brazil and Detroit.
Toronto is a fun city.

You'll find differing opinions on the race from people on here but I love it. There is a whole festival atmosphere with lots of things going on, and the waterfront and downtown are close by and easy to get around on public transit.

However probably not the best choice for next year since the race isn't scheduled yet... unless you can wait on booking tickets.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3457873)   #197
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
However probably not the best choice for next year since the race isn't scheduled yet... unless you can wait on booking tickets.
I can wait till February, so there's still plenty of time to compare different locations.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3463125)   #198
TheMightyM
Veteran

It’s October 10th, and no IndyCar schedule yet. The 2015 TUSC, NASCAR, F1, and WEC schedules are all out. So what’s the hold-up IndyCar? It can’t be that hard can it?
Old 12 Oct 2014, 07:38 (Ref:3463821)   #199
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
It’s October 10th, and no IndyCar schedule yet. The 2015 TUSC, NASCAR, F1, and WEC schedules are all out. So what’s the hold-up IndyCar? It can’t be that hard can it?
Let's hope as long as the Canadian round is confirmed the rest of the schedule will follow as well.
Old 12 Oct 2014, 09:22 (Ref:3463904)   #200
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schedule should be released by the end of the month:

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...-2014/related/