Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 10 Mar 2004, 13:23 (Ref:900818)   #176
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robby has purchased two cars; it is to verify if he will run the second as a T-Car or put a second entry driver.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 22:30 (Ref:901383)   #177
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news about Robby, and I really hope he can field a full time team after the 500.

Anyone hear anything about Sarah Fisher lately? I thought she was going to be running in Phoenix, and Motegi, before Indy, but its getting late, and no word. :confused:

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Mar 2004, 12:47 (Ref:901876)   #178
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ben Collins was also supposed to be at Phoenix, but PDM are putting off thier arrival untill Indy.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 00:30 (Ref:902598)   #179
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Access Motorsports, and Greg Ray have a new engineer, Mike Colliver. He most recently worked at Kelley racing for Al Unser Jr.

Good luck to this "dark horse" team!

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Mar 2004, 05:09 (Ref:902789)   #180
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
And now we have Adrain fernandez in the series
Old 12 Mar 2004, 11:03 (Ref:903058)   #181
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great stuff, looks like we will have 20 cars after all for Phoenix
Old 12 Mar 2004, 11:22 (Ref:903087)   #182
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A shame about PDM's delayed arrival - maybe this won't end up getting on track. Adrian's decision has provoked a lot of controversy, but it was defiantely the correct one. It's a shame he's missed the first round, but it proves that he didn't give up on ChampCars lightly.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 11:44 (Ref:903101)   #183
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Updated list.... streamlined some info now that the season is underway, removing some of the speculation etc that was included before. If you spot anything that I got completely wrong, let me know. Being in a constant semi-Zombie mode due to lack of sleep, I easily miss things

Access Motorsports
-----------------------------------
#1 - Greg Ray, USA

(Renovac Systems Inc. comes aboard as associate sponsor.)

Team Conseco Foyt Racing
#1 - AJ Foyt IV, USA

(No changes for 2004.)

Andretti Green Racing
#1 - Tony Kanaan, BRA
#2 - Dan Wheldon, GBR
#3 - Dario Franchitti, GBR
#4 - Bryan Herta, USA

(Drivers and sponsors signed for 2004. Bryan Herta is confirmed as the team's fourth full-time driver. Archipelago Exchange (ArcaEx) comes aboard as primary sponsor of the #27 driven by Franchitti.)

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#1 - Robbie Buhl, USA

(Robbie Buhl and Purex Detergents (primary co-sponsor) secured for 2004. Would like to field a second car if enough sponsorship could be found.)

Hemelgarn Racing
#1 - ?

(No word on even a partial IndyCar effort. Looks to be concentrating on their IPS program.)

Kelley Racing
#1 - Scott Sharp, USA
#2 - Sarah Fisher, USA (signed for Indianapolis)

(Al Unser Jr. leaves the team for 2004. Sarah Fisher signed for the Indy 500. Granted sponsorship is found it could develop into a full-time ride.)

Marlboro Team Penske
#1 - Helio Castroneves, BRA
#2 - Sam Hornish Jr., USA

(De Ferran retired. Sam Hornish Jr. takes his place. No other changes.)

Mo Nunn Racing
#1 - Tora Takagi, JPN
#2 - ?

(Giaffone has lost the Hollywood sponsorship - Mo Nunn racing are apparently talking to Giaffone and are trying to keep him, granted a replacement sponsor can be found. Mo Nunn looks set to concentrate on a single-car effort for 2004.)

Panther Racing
#1 - Tomas Scheckter, RSA
#2 - Mark Taylor, GBR

(Hornish Jr. leaves for Penske - Scheckter comes in to take his place, leaving Ganassi. Panther merges with Menard, bringing up IPS Champion Mark Taylor to take the seat.)

PDM Racing
#1 - Ben Collins, GBR

(Ed carpenter is off to Team Cheever. ASCAR Champion Ben Collins joins the team, and it's now scheduled to debut at Indianapolis.)

Red Bull Cheever Racing
#1 - Alex Barron, USA
#2 - Ed carpenter, USA

(Going back to a two-car effort for 2004. Alex Barron and Ed Carpenter signed for 2004.)

Super Aguri Fernandez Racing / Fernández Racing
#1 - Kousuke Matsuura, JPN
#2 - Adrian Fernandez, MEX

(Matsuura confirmed - Roger Yasukawa out. Team switches to Panoz/G-Force. In a shock-move, Adrian Fernandez announces his immediate entry into Indycar, leaving Champ Cars.)

Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#1 - Scott Dixon, NZL
#2 - Darren Manning, GBR

(Tomas Scheckter leaves Ganassi for Panther Racing. Darren Manning joins the team, coming in from Champ Car.)

Team Rahal
#1 - Buddy Rice, USA
#2 - Michel Jourdain Jr., MEX??
#3 - Roger Yasukawa, USA (signed for two races; Motegi & Indy)

(Kenny Bräck is recovering from injuries sustained at Texas - Buddy Rice will sub for Kenny until he returns. Rahal has expressed interest in launching a second team granted sponsorship can be secured. Argent Mortgage steps up and becomes a primary co-sponsor alongside Pioneer. Yasukawa signs up to do two races with Rahal; Motegi & Indy. Rahal to leave Champ Car altogether and bring Jourdain into Indycar?)

Indianapolis 500 extras
Official;
- Roger Yasukawa, 2nd Team Rahal car
- Sarah Fisher, 2nd Team Kelley car
- Robby Gordon, as an owner-driver

Potential/Rumoured;
- Eddie Cheever?, 3rd Team Cheever Car
- 3rd Penske car?
- 3rd Ganassi car?
- 3rd Panther car?
- 2nd Mo Nunn car?
- 2nd AJ Foyt car?
- 2nd Dreyer & Reinbold car?
- Bruno Junqueira?, Carl Haas?
- Sam Schmidt car?

Other Notes of Interest
- Arie Luyendyk Jr. has gotten a personal sponsor - would have liked to drive in the Indycar series, but has settled for the IPS for now. Looking for an Indianapolis 500 ride?

Didn't Pan Out

Patrick Racing
#1 - Al Unser Jr., USA

(Pat Patrick's Champ Car team was sold and he hoped to launch an IndyCar team campaigning Al Unser Jr. for 2004. Sponsorship unfortunately didn't come together.)

Last edited by rustyfan; 12 Mar 2004 at 11:46.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 18:24 (Ref:903604)   #184
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
News in Today's Indy Star on Robby Gordon:

Last year, he tried to buy the Menard assets or at least work a deal with menard, but Panther outbid him...

If Robby can secure sponsorship beyond the Indy 500, there is a possibility that "this team" will compete in races after Indy...

It did not say who would be driving it....Robby would be tied up virtually every weekend with NASCAR races....

and the whole "if sponsors are secured" aspect of this makes it a "Big IF"....but Robby has enough connections that he may just be able to pull this off....

Good news for the IRL if it can come together....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Mar 2004, 11:32 (Ref:904988)   #185
Rookie

659 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And about Lazier brothers?
Old 15 Mar 2004, 10:59 (Ref:905728)   #186
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the Lazier boys (Jacques, I think) is supposedly trying to set up his own team, much like Greg Ray has done with Access. Haven't heard much recently, and I think we can assume that it's dead if we don't hear anything by Motegi.

Buddy I don't rate especially highly. The influx of people from ChampCars has showed him up as a jurneyman really. He made no impact back in CART's heyday, and only built up his impressive stats due to the comparatively weak early IRL fields. I'm not keen to see him back in action.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 17:20 (Ref:907227)   #187
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Marty Roth, IPS owner/driver, will be entering a car for The 500.

http://ims.brickyard.com/500/news/st...?story_id=2418
Old 16 Mar 2004, 17:40 (Ref:907260)   #188
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Marty Roth, IPS owner/driver, will be entering a car for The 500.

http://ims.brickyard.com/500/news/st...?story_id=2418
Thanks for the heads-up
Old 17 Mar 2004, 00:12 (Ref:907747)   #189
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
From that article, it sounds as though Roth is looking to move his team up to a full-time IRL ride.

Things are really starting to look up for the League!

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Mar 2004, 22:21 (Ref:909883)   #190
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Rahal will be expanding to two full time cars from Motegi Yazukawa will still be thier third driver at Japan and Indy.

Wonder who the second driver will be?
Old 18 Mar 2004, 23:17 (Ref:909953)   #191
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Rumor has it, that Pat Patrick will be at Phoenix this weekend with potential sponsors, in an effort to get something going for himself and Al Jr..

Alot of potential rides are in the works right now. This could wind up being a pretty good looking field soon!

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Mar 2004, 12:05 (Ref:910634)   #192
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Added various details...

Access Motorsports
#1 - Greg Ray, USA

(Renovac Systems Inc. comes aboard as associate sponsor.)

Team Conseco Foyt Racing
#1 - AJ Foyt IV, USA

(No changes for 2004.)

Andretti Green Racing
#1 - Tony Kanaan, BRA
#2 - Dan Wheldon, GBR
#3 - Dario Franchitti, GBR
#4 - Bryan Herta, USA

(Drivers and sponsors signed for 2004. Bryan Herta is confirmed as the team's fourth full-time driver. Archipelago Exchange (ArcaEx) comes aboard as primary sponsor of the #27 driven by Franchitti.)

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#1 - Robbie Buhl, USA

(Robbie Buhl and Purex Detergents (primary co-sponsor) secured for 2004. Would like to field a second car if enough sponsorship could be found.)

Kelley Racing
#1 - Scott Sharp, USA
#2 - Sarah Fisher, USA (signed for Indianapolis)

(Al Unser Jr. leaves the team for 2004. Sarah Fisher signed for the Indy 500. Granted sponsorship is found it could develop into a full-time ride.)

Marlboro Team Penske
#1 - Helio Castroneves, BRA
#2 - Sam Hornish Jr., USA

(De Ferran retired. Sam Hornish Jr. takes his place. No other changes.)

Mo Nunn Racing
#1 - Tora Takagi, JPN
#2 - ?

(Giaffone has lost the Hollywood sponsorship - Mo Nunn racing are apparently talking to Giaffone and are trying to keep him, granted a replacement sponsor can be found. Mo Nunn looks set to concentrate on a single-car effort for 2004.)

Panther Racing
#1 - Tomas Scheckter, RSA
#2 - Mark Taylor, GBR

(Hornish Jr. leaves for Penske - Scheckter comes in to take his place, leaving Ganassi. Panther merges with Menard, bringing up IPS Champion Mark Taylor to take the seat.)

PDM Racing
#1 - Ben Collins, GBR

(Ed carpenter is off to Team Cheever. ASCAR Champion Ben Collins joins the team, and it's now scheduled to debut at Indianapolis.)

Red Bull Cheever Racing
#1 - Alex Barron, USA
#2 - Ed carpenter, USA

(Going back to a two-car effort for 2004. Alex Barron and Ed Carpenter signed for 2004.)

Roth Racing
#1 - Marty Roth, USA

(Stepping up from the Infinty Pro Series to take a crack at the Indianapolis 500, granted he completes his rookie orientation. Pending sponsorship can be found, the team would like to finish out the season in IndyCar.)

Super Aguri Fernandez Racing / Fernández Racing
#1 - Kousuke Matsuura, JPN
#2 - Adrian Fernandez, MEX

(Matsuura confirmed - Roger Yasukawa out. Team switches to Panoz/G-Force. In a shock-move, Adrian Fernandez announces his immediate entry into Indycar, leaving Champ Cars.)

Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#1 - Scott Dixon, NZL
#2 - Darren Manning, GBR

(Tomas Scheckter leaves Ganassi for Panther Racing. Darren Manning joins the team, coming in from Champ Car.)

Team Rahal
#1 - Buddy Rice, USA
#2 - ?
#3 - Roger Yasukawa, USA (signed for two races; Motegi & Indy)

(Kenny Bräck is recovering from injuries sustained at Texas - Buddy Rice will sub for Kenny until he returns. Rahal has expressed interest in launching a second team granted sponsorship can be secured. Argent Mortgage steps up and becomes a primary co-sponsor alongside Pioneer. Yasukawa signs up to do two races with Rahal; Motegi & Indy. Rahal decides to leave Champ Car altogether, expanding to a two-car team in IndyCar. Sponsor supposedly to be announced soon. No decision on driver as of yet.)

Indianapolis 500 extras
Official;
- Roger Yasukawa, 2nd Team Rahal car
- Sarah Fisher, 2nd Team Kelley car
- Robby Gordon, as an owner-driver

Potential/Rumoured;
- Eddie Cheever?, 3rd Team Cheever Car
- 3rd Penske car?
- 3rd Ganassi car?
- 3rd Panther car?
- 2nd Mo Nunn car?
- 2nd AJ Foyt car?
- 2nd Dreyer & Reinbold car?
- Bruno Junqueira?, Carl Haas?
- Sam Schmidt car?

Other Notes of Interest
- Arie Luyendyk Jr. has gotten a personal sponsor - would have liked to drive in the Indycar series, but has settled for the IPS for now. Looking for an Indianapolis 500 ride?

Rumored/Unclear

Hemelgarn Racing
#1 - ?

(No word on even a partial IndyCar effort. Looks to be concentrating on their IPS program.)

Patrick Racing
#1 - Al Unser Jr., USA

(Pat Patrick has sold off his Champ Car team is hoping to launch an IndyCar team campaigning Al Unser Jr. for 2004 with the aid of Derrick Walker.)
Old 19 Mar 2004, 12:08 (Ref:910636)   #193
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
This could wind up being a pretty good looking field soon!
Soon? I think it looks great already
Old 19 Mar 2004, 13:05 (Ref:910697)   #194
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Not as good as 2003 though - virtually every championship in the world has struggled for talent this year, with budgetary constraints and a lack of sponsors, as well as guys like de Ferran and Brack being off the track.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 13:25 (Ref:910719)   #195
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't agree, Boots: a demotivated Gil wouldn't have improved the field, and kenny will, hopefully, be back during the season.
Furthermore, people coming from Champ cars will gieve a good contribution too.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 14:48 (Ref:910814)   #196
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
In an interview in a Swedish newspaper today Kenny says he would like to come back as soon as he feels he's ready.

He also says he would like to retire from the sport on his own terms (not because of a crash).
Old 20 Mar 2004, 00:14 (Ref:911314)   #197
Straightup
Rookie

Straightup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be surprised to see Pruett and Papis in Target cars for the 500 in addition to Dixon and Manning. It makes sense and both are automatic contenders. We'll have to see.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 01:17 (Ref:911349)   #198
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manning and Taylor look like the best of the year's new drivers to me. Adrian is perhaps past his prime. Don't underestimate Gil - he was one of the best open-wheel drivers to never compete in F1. Additionally, Kenny has (had?) a very fine record in IRL and CART. Difficult to say, then, whether the average quality of the field is up this year compared to 2003, but I'd say it is. Even last year, there were more than a few drivers I reckon didn't belong in a top-level open-wheel series. Definitely fewer this year.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 08:50 (Ref:911726)   #199
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wont see Pruett in the Indy 500. Papis is an outside possible.

Kenny wont be far enough along rehab to race the I500. If Forsythe isn't to much of a jack***, Carpentier could be in the 2nd Rahal car.

Robin Miller thinks Junqueira will be in a Dallara-Honda using the Carl Haas Racing banner (no PLN, no Toyota).

It looks like Pat Patrick will be using Derrick Walker Racing to enter a Dallara-Chevrolet for Al Unser, Jr.

But that still leaves Toyota and Chevrolet looking for three more driver/team combos (forget the Roth guy).

It'll get a lot clearer in three or four weeks.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:24 (Ref:912004)   #200
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
What happened to Roth? :confused:

Danica Patrick