Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Jul 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1022677)   #176
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only one oval would not warrant the testing and setup changes that will need to be made. If they are committed to the diversity of the ovals, streets and road tracks, then will need more than one oval. I would think that a minimum of three to four. Unfortunately, it really does appear that all the talk about the "diversity" of CCWS was simply that - TALK. I believe that when we see the 2005 schedule we will see no left turn only tracks on that schedule.

Just ten short years ago, there were six of 'em.

I sure miss them too. Fontana is a great racing facility.

I don't like this new direction

Nor do I macdaddy.

Last edited by racinthestreets; 1 Jul 2004 at 16:26.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1022865)   #177
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Downtown Settle didnt' look so bad when I was there four years ago. Also, in Seattle anyway, the rain isn't usually very heavy. It's generally more of a mist. The real issue is a completely different matter. There is one thing Seattle and San Francisco very clearly have in common, big hills.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1023070)   #178
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaaking of San Francisco... what ever happened to all that talk about F1 going there? What I am getting at is that does SF still want to host a race of some sort?

On the other hand it wouldn't make much sense because Laguna Seca is two hours away.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 03:07 (Ref:1023219)   #179
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Just ten short years ago, there were six of 'em.
I don't like this new direction.

Hey MacDaddy & Dover,

let me explain what the deal is here...

The Champ Car Troika have a 5yr plan - yes, we do not really know what it exactly is and never shall we know what EXACTLY it is, but there are some rumblings that bounce of the walls and here comes the "ovals issue" =

OWRS is fully for keeping "diversity" - ie: ovals + roads + streets ?! - but, in 2006 they need to change the formula - both engines and chassis... we all know that... yes, it could be either normally aspirated V10s or V8s or it could be 2 litre 4 cilinder turbos (Ford is pushing this concept)... either way the concept here is to make the cars lighter and much more road racing adaptive (ie: "nimbler") - ergo: not applicable to oval racing... WHY ???... because the object of this FIRST installment of the 5yr plan is to go racing where people want us to race NOT where we would like to race... from that we will develope a "clientele" that will be our BACKBONE... once that is achieved than we will be able to go racing where we want - and we all know that CART/OWRS is about "diversity" - so, where will we want to race (besides road/street courses) ?? = Milwaukee, Michigan, Fontana, Phoenix, Pocono, Houston (oval is being built), Lausitzring (where TG is part owner), Rockingham (where Forsythe still is a part owner), Madrid (oval being built), etc... once Champ Car gets established with the public AND sponsors then they WILL return to oval racing, but in the meantime they need to follow the gravy train - and that is "race anywhere they pay us"... and none of the oval escapades offer that - that is why for a few years we shall be without ovals...

Now, that is only my opinion - based on what I hear... could be they'll decide to go the hard way and stick with keeping an oval or two, then the chassis will be heavier and the engine manufacturers might complain - we shall see... but my belief is that OWRS will give in to the manufacturers and ditch ovals for a few years - not just to appease them in order to get their business, but in order to build up the series... and that is a very logical step ?!

zerO

Last edited by zerO; 2 Jul 2004 at 03:15.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 03:11 (Ref:1023220)   #180
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And then they will penilize Patreek and Seb for driving too fast
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 03:17 (Ref:1023228)   #181
zerO
Veteran

^ hihihaha

zerO
Old 2 Jul 2004, 03:20 (Ref:1023231)   #182
Mags
Veteran

A bit of humour does help.. as the Grand Am race is now under a Red Flag, (and I think it's because Kevin Buckler's Racer's Group GT Porsche is in 1st...)
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 03:28 (Ref:1023240)   #183
zerO
Veteran

btw Mags, please let me know (pm me if neccessary) whenever you'll hear anything new about Porsche's contemplation of returning to sportscar racing (ie: LeMans) - they are considering de-mothballing the old LMP900 chassis...

zerO
Old 2 Jul 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1023691)   #184
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
btw Mags, please let me know (pm me if neccessary) whenever you'll hear anything new about Porsche's contemplation of returning to sportscar racing (ie: LeMans) - they are considering de-mothballing the old LMP900 chassis...

To Zero:

I was at Mid-Ohio for ALMS last weekend....

Go to this site:

www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com

Click on Local Sports....

When that index comes up, click on Sunday, June 27 on their calendar on the right side of the window...

Then scroll down through the "Three Break Records" article...you'll come across the info about the possible Porsche LMP....

an Exec. from Porsche was rather nebulus on that subject, but apparently their recent (and collective) investment in reviving that "mothballed" LMP900 has been "massive," and they are taking a good, long look at moving forward with it...

zerO

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Jul 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1025027)   #185
zerO
Veteran

Thanx a lot Tim - very good to hear that ?!

zerO
Old 3 Jul 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1025076)   #186
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
These are great topics, Zero and Tim, but this forum is about possible venues for 2005. Let's all get back on track, please :-)

BTW, near Sacramento (where I am from) in the town of Marysville there is a plot of land suppossedly set aside for a future speedway. From what I understand one of the people involved is Gerry Forsythe. Now, I haven't heard about anything in a few years, so I was wondering if anyone knows anything.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1028300)   #187
zerO
Veteran

Hey Amar,

yeah, it's true that Forsythe is planning on building a race track in N.Cali but I have a feeling that he'll go partners with the "new" RIVERSIDE project (100 miles south of Sacramento and 100 miles west of Monterey, about)... when I'll hear more I'll be the first one to post it here...

zerO
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1028305)   #188
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Hey Amar,

yeah, it's true that Forsythe is planning on building a race track in N.Cali but I have a feeling that he'll go partners with the "new" RIVERSIDE project (100 miles south of Sacramento and 100 miles west of Monterey, about)... when I'll hear more I'll be the first one to post it here...

zerO
He has already built it in Yuba.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1028306)   #189
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Yeah I heard about that, too but I thought that that was just scuttlebutt.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1028308)   #190
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Oh yeah, thanks for the info, Zero!
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1028312)   #191
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
He has already built it in Yuba.
Then I must be blind because the only thing that I see is the concert amphetheatre and some housing developments.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:54 (Ref:1028316)   #192
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Amar7605
Yeah I heard about that, too but I thought that that was just scuttlebutt.
No, I know the man that helped build it and the landscaper that designed it.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:54 (Ref:1028317)   #193
zerO
Veteran

Here's a good tidbit = http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns/13179.html

Now, let me refresh this concept:

The idea of London GP has (kind of) started last year when Chris Pook was in England looking for a new Champ Car venue... then Bernie jumped on it and used it in his threats against Silverstone... now Silverstone is extended and here to stay, so... if Harvey Goldsmith can't get F1 he'll definitely opt for Champ Car should they be interested... and we all know that they'd definitely be interested...

btw, London is just as realistic as Manchester is - don't think there even are odds on this...

And that's how speculations and rumors start, btw... the saga shall continue...

zerO
Old 6 Jul 2004, 18:01 (Ref:1028325)   #194
zerO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
No, I know the man that helped build it and the landscaper that designed it.

I don't think it has been built yet - haven't seen it neither (live quite near, btw), nor have I heard about it being built - if it was built then definitely there would be something official on the subject - last I heard was last year: designs and plans awaiting approval.

zerO
Old 6 Jul 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1028328)   #195
Mags
Veteran

Doesn't work Zer0
Old 6 Jul 2004, 18:05 (Ref:1028332)   #196
zerO
Veteran

What doesn't work ??? - show me one link that says the project went past planning and designing, please...

zerO

Last edited by zerO; 6 Jul 2004 at 18:08.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1028338)   #197
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Amar7605
Speaaking of San Francisco... what ever happened to all that talk about F1 going there? What I am getting at is that does SF still want to host a race of some sort?

On the other hand it wouldn't make much sense because Laguna Seca is two hours away.
Infineon Raceway(Sears Point) is only 30 minutes away from San Francisco as well.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1028347)   #198
zerO
Veteran

double post... goofy server...

Last edited by zerO; 6 Jul 2004 at 18:17.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1028348)   #199
zerO
Veteran

Sonoma is about to become IRL's venue next year ?!... BUT, "Infineon" (the company) is interested of being in Champ Car and having a German driver should Champ Car decide to race in Germany sometime soon - THEN there is a real possibility of Champ Car racing at Sears Point as well...

zerO
Old 6 Jul 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1028369)   #200
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
What doesn't work ??? - show me one link that says the project went past planning and designing, please...

zerO
Well, my pal has lived there since 2002 building it.