Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Oct 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3146651)   #2001
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTKers View Post
Bes is 4 Hours transmission and no TV will cover it.
So no future for sponsors in that championship. It will be and remain a good championship FOR GENTLEMANS

If you want to have a championship with value/sponsor value you have to be on a sprint format
Motors TV had no problem covering BES in France and GB, i wont lie though, i havent looked to see what other countries it was potentially broadcast in.

I don't believe having a sprint championship is as much value to a sponsor as you'd think, look at the online viewing figures for GT1 World Championship, championship race from Donnington, it has just over 5000 views, how many of them would go out and buy a product they'd see on the side of one of the cars, id imagine less than 50.

Some of the videos on the GT1 world youtube site have over 50k views but most of them are under 15k and the only ones achieving huge numbers of viewers 60k+ are of grid girls and crashes.

I dont doubt that for tv channels the sprint package is an attractive package and for some sponsors who have a target audience who are likely to be watching GT racing it will serve a great purpose.

If you look at the BES figures for uploaded races and the figures for GT1 then BES get equal and in some cases better figures.

Anyway im looking forward to see how the sprint series will develop for next season because British GT run a similar format and the races and competition there have been awesome.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3146786)   #2002
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post
Congrats to All Ink'l for such a profesional team, and Mercedes for such a fast and reliable car.

Yes, congratulations to the cheating scum who won the championship by (a) not winning a proper race and (b) trying to kill their closest rivals.

You would think the FIA might step in to stop cheats from prospering.

Old 5 Oct 2012, 23:35 (Ref:3146869)   #2003
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
(b) trying to kill their closest rivals.
You're not serious, are you?
Old 6 Oct 2012, 02:33 (Ref:3146903)   #2004
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The emoticon at the end of it all gives it away as a joke...
Old 6 Oct 2012, 07:30 (Ref:3146942)   #2005
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
You're not serious, are you?
You think Buurman walked away from that?
Old 6 Oct 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3146978)   #2006
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Yes, congratulations to the cheating scum who won the championship by (a) not winning a proper race and (b) trying to kill their closest rivals.

You would think the FIA might step in to stop cheats from prospering.

Hey, what has the team All inkl do with it??, What has Marc Basseng to do with it? Unless there where team orders, the responsible was winkelhock. That's why i congratulated the team only.. The Teams title was won at the start of the race, due to the strong driver lineup of the season and the good Merc performance.

In my opinion the drivers championship should have been won by Yelmer Buurman, the fastest driver all season, but seems SRO didn't have courage to scrap points from all inkl drivers as a sanction. I would declare desserted that title.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 09:43 (Ref:3147001)   #2007
Carbone
Rookie

Carbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In my opinion the drivers championship should have been won by Yelmer Buurman, the fastest driver all season, but seems SRO didn't have courage to scrap points from all inkl drivers as a sanction. I would declare desserted that title.
The World GT1 was a championship FIA. SRO had no power to decide on the accident of Buurman/Winkelhock or on the BOP for example.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3147020)   #2008
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a thought: Ratel has never been able to arrange proper TV whatever the format of his races. He took GT1 World down to 1h format in order to accommodate TV's needs but for the 3 years that series ran, the good TV deals were missing. That plus the fact that these events are hardly promoted at all locally leads to there being no spectators. You need to invest on this to make a championship grow. Ratel has never done that and that's why his championships are dying one by one, except something like BES which is great for the teams and variety of drivers from Pro to Am. But it doesn't have the TV or spectator figures it deserves and it'll stay relatively unknown to big public.

IMO the crash in Donington was done on purpose by Winkelhock. Whether it was the team's orders or his own black moment, I of course don't know. But before you raise Basseng on a high platter remember how he recently crashed into a Porsche on the pitlane on purpose (said his brakes failed, which was a nice joke) in a VLN race to hand over the win to another Audi. My respect to drivers pulling these stunts is below 0.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3147049)   #2009
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post

But before you raise Basseng on a high platter remember how he recently crashed into a Porsche on the pitlane on purpose (said his brakes failed, which was a nice joke) in a VLN race to hand over the win to another Audi. My respect to drivers pulling these stunts is below 0.
That's the problem of those like me that can't watch all those races regularly like the VLN or ADAC, to be able to have max accuracy on opinions, on has to see a lot of racing xD!! Same way, i didn't undesrtand why Basseng had to talk about Yelmer Buurman's father about an incident at the end of the race, like we say in Spain, "the dirty dishes are washed at home" not in front of the media...
Old 6 Oct 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3147090)   #2010
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buurman started it trying to force Winkelhock onto the grass, Karma took care of the rest.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3147096)   #2011
Carbone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
...Ratel has never done that and that's why his championships are dying one by one, except something like BES which is great for the teams and variety of drivers from Pro to Am...
The category GT3 is an immense success and it is an invention of SRO. British GT and Brasil GT works well and they are championships SRO. Blancpain became one of the references to the world for the GT and future GT Sprint Series SRO looks good with more than 20 cars with a single category of cars.

For example, how works championship ACO ???

- WEC = less than 30 cars for three categories of cars...

- ELMS =

- AsianLMS =
Old 6 Oct 2012, 14:12 (Ref:3147099)   #2012
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbone View Post
SRO looks good with more than 20 cars with a single category of cars.

For example, how works championship ACO ???

- WEC = less than 30 cars for three categories of cars...

World champƬonships are harder... and have the same status as F1.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3147120)   #2013
Carbone
Rookie

Quote:
World champƬonships are harder... and have the same status as F1.
The same status does not mean the same quality, even the TV broadcasts, etc.

Less than 10 cars in LMP1 with only three manufacturers cars (2 Audi + 1 Toyota)

4 GTE PRO with a ridiculous BOP (Aston Martin and Porsche are clearly bad cars) http://private.fia.com/web/fia-publi...df?Openelement

70% of the cars are PRO/AM (LMP2 and GTE AM)

At present, the championship WEC has not enough credibility and it is very far from the standards of F1
Old 6 Oct 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3147134)   #2014
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:

At present, the championship WEC has not enough credibility and it is very far from the standards of F1
Yes (for me is boring) but has the status GTWorld has lost with rounds all around the globe.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3147233)   #2015
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Status" doesn't mean much if the series is going broke. I really doubt anyone would be more likely to tune in to a race if its "status" suddenly increased---either the series is a joke and not worth watching or it is good and worth watching, regardless of whether it calls itself a "World Championship."

Does anyone really think no one would watch the "World Series" if it called itself "The North American Championship"? On the other hand, how many people watched the real "World Series of Baseball"? I know not many, because I attended several events.

The one thing keeping me from closely following both SRO GT3 series was their scheduling--too often opposite other events I wanted to watch. Also, the difficulty of getting a good stream in North America made following the series frustrating. I really enjoyed the rounds I was able to catch---and I could not care even a little bit less if the series is called "World Championship" or not.

Heck, the NFL considers the Super Bowl to be a "world championship" and the rest of the world doesn't even recognize it as football. Screw the name, watch the game.

I hope I can watch both GT3 series online next season.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3147243)   #2016
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
"The name" world is a comercial crap if it is included and doesn't host in the less three continents as some famous endurance Journalist said, something in what all the globe can identify themselves (has a minimal chance of seeing races at their home country)...

Has it's weight no matter you like it or not, if the USA uses incorrectly that word it's their own problem of lack of perspective.

In cycling the world champs, can be in any road of every world, in football in any nation, in the 90% of the sports, the word world is global.

Yes, the world word is not a figure of the quality of the series , but its a figure of it's status, representation, level, scope, enhances more or less (subjective) its value, but enhances the series value.

Last edited by urdragon; 6 Oct 2012 at 22:10.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3147275)   #2017
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If that's the case why did the FIA GT1 World Championship go down the drain?
Old 6 Oct 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3147279)   #2018
911T33
Rookie

911T33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The series being stripped of it's title (or choosing to remove it) is what needed t happen. To have that title you need to provide a certain level of championship and FIA GT1 failed to do that, good teams just not enough, not enough money to take the series to new countries and fans either.

WTCC has been in a similar position but they've still had the resources to hold a quite successful US round, how many years was that promised for FIA GT1.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 02:14 (Ref:3147334)   #2019
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Buurman started it trying to force Winkelhock onto the grass, Karma took care of the rest.
Buurman did nothing else than tried to pass Winkelhock. With a great move I might add. Winkelhock moved to the right and initiated the contact. He did it clearly on purpose knowing otherwise the BMW would be gone and same with the title.

Anyway, lately I've been seeing other crashes in a completely other way than you, so I guess the truth is in the eye of the beholder
Old 7 Oct 2012, 05:05 (Ref:3147374)   #2020
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
If that's the case why did the FIA GT1 World Championship go down the drain?
Costs, i said before, is harder what the WEC is doing.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 05:08 (Ref:3147376)   #2021
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911T33 View Post
The series being stripped of it's title (or choosing to remove it) is what needed t happen. To have that title you need to provide a certain level of championship and FIA GT1 failed to do that, good teams just not enough, not enough money to take the series to new countries and fans either.

WTCC has been in a similar position but they've still had the resources to hold a quite successful US round, how many years was that promised for FIA GT1.
The FIA Tag is not the same the world tag, it gives also prestige, status.. But is artificial. But its left also per costs matters, but look the WEC maintains it, so somebody could.

Last edited by urdragon; 7 Oct 2012 at 05:14.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 08:56 (Ref:3149251)   #2022
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
So just to recap if I may, the FIA series is no more but the current series will continue in all but title as a pure SRO run thing?

How is that going to work, exactly, after this seasons disappointing entry, calendar disruptions, race controversies and the daft 'only 2-3 cars per make' permissions for entry?
Old 12 Oct 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3150596)   #2023
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The same status does not mean the same quality, even the TV broadcasts, etc.

Less than 10 cars in LMP1 with only three manufacturers cars (2 Audi + 1 Toyota)

4 GTE PRO with a ridiculous BOP (Aston Martin and Porsche are clearly bad cars) http://private.fia.com/web/fia-publi...df?Openelement

70% of the cars are PRO/AM (LMP2 and GTE AM)

The WEC is one year old, give it a rest. It's a little harsh and judgemental to start picking holes so soon. Sure, if this was 5+ years down the line with the same issues, then yeah.

The BoP is silly though (especially the Aston Martin), I get the feeling that some people involved in sportscar racing are quick to knock F1 for 'artificial racing' with lame tyres, DRS and KERS but don't seem to make too fine a point of BoP.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3161951)   #2024
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103975
Article about next years World Series.
Ratel:
Quote:
"Some teams are saying they don't want a second race outside Europe, but I ask them, 'Do you want a world title?'"
Really?
Old 3 Nov 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3161962)   #2025
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why does Ratel have such a big fascination for a "World Title"? Arguably his most successful championship, the BES, is 99% European. Just stay in European and help out the teams that have committed to you for many years now. Sheeesh!