Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Jun 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2713305)   #2076
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Not sure, seemed to me like all the fast protos were stopping close to the white line and every major team did the "dance of the 14 mechanics" in a similar way, particularly the tire changes on the right-hand side.
I just watched the Audi + cameraman crash video again because it gives an overhead view of an Audi stop. Both #7 and #8 were much further from the white line than Peugeot on those stops - several feet actually.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2713341)   #2077
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Ok Ayse ..... never thought I would say it but ..... yhose BMW's were not very impressive , and sounded terrible for a V8 .

Shamefull thing ..... should be in the WTCC with that yoke , but the art car looked nice I thought .

I'm honest enough to admit they looked OK, the art car in particular, but my view of where they really belong hasn't changed at all.......
Old 16 Jun 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2713447)   #2078
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm honest enough to admit they looked OK, the art car in particular, but my view of where they really belong hasn't changed at all.......
Have to say I agree. Somehow the M3, which ordinarily can look decent when you see it on the road, seemed a touch out of place alongside all the rest of the exotica out there. In and of itself it's not a bad looking car, but it's not the sort of thing that really gets the pulse racing compared to what else was on the grid.

Probably says something that when leaning over the edge of Tribune 34 the BMW wasn't one of the cars I felt the urge to get a photo of.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2713454)   #2079
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love the M3 and think it might be up there as a road car but think a car more like the old 8 series would be a better GT car, just seemed more aggressive.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2713735)   #2080
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aco race trap speeds 2010:

348 km/h - peugeots 908 no1 & no2
347 km/h - audi r15 no8 & no9, peugeots no3 and no4
346 km/h - audi r15 no7
344 km/h - aston martin 008 & 007
343 km/h - aston martin 009
330 km/h - kolles audi r10 no15
329 km/h - kolles audi r10 no14

also, surprising top speed for the gt2 corvette, which was faster than any gt1 car on the mulsanne - 302 km/h (296 km/h for corvette gt1).

Last edited by sssssssss; 17 Jun 2010 at 14:53.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2713745)   #2081
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss
also, surprising top speed for the gt2 corvette, which was faster than any gt1 car on the mulsanne - 302 km/h (296 km/h for corvette gt1).
That is with a good tow because the #63 Corvette "only" did 297 km/h (see here).
Old 17 Jun 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2713991)   #2082
endurancesportscar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rugby
endurancesportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our Le Mans write ups are online for all to read... off to interview Piers Phillips of Strakka on Monday... should be interesting.... maybe even get a Glass of Bubbly!!
Old 18 Jun 2010, 00:19 (Ref:2714057)   #2083
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsley View Post
For example, how many Jimmie Johnson fans know who Lord Drayson is? Well, I for one have tremendous respect for what he does, his passion, forward thinking, and its types like him that make or sport what it is. Though he didn't make the scoring sheet at the end, I was thrilled to see that team overcome so much time in the pits and still be on the track at the checkered flag. That, to me, was a headline.
That is an excellent example and sums up just what Le Mans and endurance racing is all about.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2714058)   #2084
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
That is with a good tow because the #63 Corvette "only" did 297 km/h (see here).
Not necessarily, as the #64 was faster than the #63 the entire time. It may have been running in ever so slightly different trim, or on a different map.

L.P.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2714390)   #2085
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Have to say I agree. Somehow the M3, which ordinarily can look decent when you see it on the road, seemed a touch out of place alongside all the rest of the exotica out there. In and of itself it's not a bad looking car, but it's not the sort of thing that really gets the pulse racing compared to what else was on the grid.

Probably says something that when leaning over the edge of Tribune 34 the BMW wasn't one of the cars I felt the urge to get a photo of.
Agreed - definitely looked out of place and may well not achieve the marketing value that BMW is expected as a result.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2714409)   #2086
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's funny; here in North America, M3s racing in GT classes have been a near-fixture for over a decade so I suppose we don't really see them as anything out of the ordinary. Honestly, though, do they look more out of place than the BMWs did in Group 5 with the Porsche 935s, Capris and Lancias? I think of those BMWs as iconic sportscars...
Old 18 Jun 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2714422)   #2087
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Probably not, but I can't comment as that's before my time. Although it would seem to support the suggestion that it's about time BMW built a real sportscar about which there is no doubt.......
Old 18 Jun 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2714443)   #2088
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, would like to see BMW make an M6 CSL or something like it with a race-able engine package available. Just me guessing they'll put a turbo'd V8 under the hood of the next gen street car and may not be something they could tweak to meet GT regs.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2714566)   #2089
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Babapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBabapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the M3 get a smaller restrictor in lemans after the results from the ALMS. so they were slower and maybe also the sound was not so fine.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 00:52 (Ref:2714905)   #2090
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
It's funny; here in North America, M3s racing in GT classes have been a near-fixture for over a decade so I suppose we don't really see them as anything out of the ordinary. Honestly, though, do they look more out of place than the BMWs did in Group 5 with the Porsche 935s, Capris and Lancias? I think of those BMWs as iconic sportscars...
Absolutely see where you're coming from here - and while my cat sleeping on lap means I can't go and refer to Wimpffen a quick run through of the late 1970s on Racing Sportscars shows how much the 'ordinary' BMWs were relied on to fill the grids with something interesting and competitive.

It does have to be said though that for all the 3 and 6 derived machinery kept the Porsches honest in the lean period, it's the M1 that grips attention from this period. In short, think of BMW 635 and you're a Chris de Burgh lyric, think M1 and you're in proper sportscar terrain.

In short - message to BMW is create something that's a lot more like an M1 and you'll be a lot more welcome at Le Mans. In this vein, what's so silly about the idea of a GT2 Z4?

Last edited by isynge; 20 Jun 2010 at 00:58. Reason: BMW model change, Chris de Burgh reference added
Old 20 Jun 2010, 01:09 (Ref:2714906)   #2091
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish the bimmer's ran with this color scheme:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/...498b99c605.jpg
Old 20 Jun 2010, 07:08 (Ref:2714945)   #2092
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
I wish the bimmer's ran with this color scheme:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/...498b99c605.jpg

Makes no difference really - it's just a paint job. As Ian says, it doesn't make it an M1 or a Z4......
Old 21 Jun 2010, 07:49 (Ref:2715516)   #2093
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
FYI http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...lane-view.aspx
Old 21 Jun 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2715639)   #2094
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Makes no difference really - it's just a paint job. As Ian says, it doesn't make it an M1 or a Z4......
Yup, It's still basically a "3 box" saloon car...
Old 23 Jun 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2716810)   #2095
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Amazing photo of Montagny there...
Old 23 Jun 2010, 12:33 (Ref:2716825)   #2096
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Yes, great picture. Also check out his pictures of the GT cars: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...s-gt-wars.aspx
Old 23 Jun 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2716964)   #2097
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Brooks' stuff is fantastic. Between that and the photography on DSC there are some superb artistic impressions of the event to revel in. Fitting views of such an epic event.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2718482)   #2098
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Hey , Ive just realised that this year must be the first time in eons that Yorijo Terada wasnt at Le Mans as a driver !!!
Old 27 Jun 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2718511)   #2099
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Hey , Ive just realised that this year must be the first time in eons that Yorijo Terada wasnt at Le Mans as a driver !!!
He wasn't driving in '09 either, last time he did was with Terramos in '08.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2718960)   #2100
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I didnt realise that either .