Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Apr 2023, 11:46 (Ref:4150484)   #2126
Trebor902
Rookie

Trebor902 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Only PMR/HARD on M-Sport engines now.

Sad news to see Dynamics out, hopefully, they can pull something together and return to the grid in 2024.

Also interesting to see if ONE operates 3/4 Civics this year, seems to be the only real mystery left on this season's line-up.
I reckon 4. Take on Shedden if he wants to carry on and has the funding in place and Plato return because personal opinion here I genuinely don't think he will be able to stay away.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4150485)   #2127
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely the sorriest looking entry list in a while. One of the problems with the BTCC being something of a closed-shop in recent times, there's nobody waiting to replace established entries when they drop out (certainly not of the same calibre). The total grid of 25/26 cars is the smallest in over a decade, down from 29 last year and even struggling to match the 2020 coronavirus hindered one.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 11:50 (Ref:4150486)   #2128
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Motorsport is a strange beast. In any other walk of life, there would be court cases over this. Can anyone imagine a football team having its sponsor pulled two weeks before the first match?
Different level of bargaining power. Sponsors "pulling out" are actually almost always a case of that sponsor having not actually formally committed at all.

But sponsors do disappear in lower tier football too. It's rare at Premier Leauge level, but then the BTCC is probably a closer equivalent to Championship/League One football than that.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 11:50 (Ref:4150487)   #2129
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Although I was told a while ago that Team Dynamics wouldn't be on the grid this year, I am still very sad to see it finally confirmed. They've been a big part of the current style of The BTCC.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 11:53 (Ref:4150488)   #2130
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the grids are no way in that sort of shape yet, will we see a return of some kind of production class like 2001 to encourage smaller teams? Or a rethink to bring costs down, hybrid has been a massive expense over the last couple of years. Factor in the general state of the world at the moment and its not surprising teams either choose to drop out or are forced to.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 11:58 (Ref:4150489)   #2131
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Fair point, and yes they have been there for many seasons despite being a family team up against the open chequebooks of NAPA and BTC Also if they weren't on the grid, who would you have to complain about? You seriously underestimate the work that goes into getting on the BTCC grid, and staying there. Your opinion though, and I respect that.
Open cheque book? Says who
Old 5 Apr 2023, 12:10 (Ref:4150490)   #2132
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was hybrid really that much of an expense? The figures they were talking about, although large in comparison to club racing, were a small fraction of the overall budget. Given that more than one team has said that the hybrid message has helped in attracting sponsors I'm not convinced that it has anything to do with teams leaving. At the end of the day there are a lot of economic woes around at the moment and companies are making hard decisions on where to spend their money. Just as Halfords did with Dynamics.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 12:22 (Ref:4150491)   #2133
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor902 View Post
I reckon 4. Take on Shedden if he wants to carry on and has the funding in place and Plato return because personal opinion here I genuinely don't think he will be able to stay away.
I really hope they can make it to 3 or 4 . They deserve great credit for their ambition on slim budgets and have a very competitive outlook . The tie with one motorsport was intended to expand the team not contract it . With Honda power it’s expected that cook will walk the Indy class and possibly challenge for title . He certainly has the speed , the most natural talent alongside Sutton in my eyes . Moffat I assume will fund his entry as he did when racing his previous merc so who can take the other spots . Plato and shedden would be big and Plato showed her was delighted with the teams efforts last year , just not the toca engine . Not sure both want to carry on though . They have ran those like proctor before and pushed for edwards when few others saw value in a lady driver . Maybe they have another ace to play this year . Let’s hope . Bit premature to write off this years entry , theirs 3 champions in competitive cars those like butcher hill and cook who are quick and possible wild cards in many of the others . We also can’t judge the rookies from career this far . Also while many appear to knock team hard watch out for Thompson he is quick and commited .
Old 5 Apr 2023, 12:24 (Ref:4150492)   #2134
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor902 View Post
Apparently it's too late for Shedden for the funding.

https://motorracinguk.com/2023/04/05...bbatical-plan/
Old 5 Apr 2023, 12:36 (Ref:4150493)   #2135
Trebor902
Rookie

Trebor902 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Apparently it's too late for Shedden for the funding.

https://motorracinguk.com/2023/04/05...bbatical-plan/
Ah that's a shame so either Plato back at One then or Hamilton I guess? No other names really been thrown about just lately
Old 5 Apr 2023, 12:40 (Ref:4150494)   #2136
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Motorsport is a strange beast. In any other walk of life, there would be court cases over this. Can anyone imagine a football team having its sponsor pulled two weeks before the first match?
Remember Dynamics were on the opposite side in the past. Gaining Halfords from VLR between Media Day and the first round of 2004, although to be fair, the writing was on the wall for them anyway.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 13:19 (Ref:4150498)   #2137
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, hardly surprising given the amount of rumours. From the very beginning I was saying that such rumours are unlikely to be totally made up so I'm not surprised that they turned out to be true. But apart from that, the news itself is shocking and sad. BTCC without Dynamics seems something like Supercars without Walkinshaw.
Don't want to be too pessimistic or panicking but after years of being on a high, looks like lean years are coming for the BTCC... If it hadn't been for HARD, which (whatever anyone may say) are clearly a level below, we'd have just a bit above 20 entries. Hope the crisis won't be as severe as in the beginning of 2000s. There are still high quality entries this season and 25 or 26 cars is a healthy number (but after years of around 30 will feel very few) but as I said some time ago - the trend is worrying.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 13:23 (Ref:4150499)   #2138
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm sad to hear that news. They were always in the mix. They have been a constant presence for years, so I kind of took it for granted that they would always be there.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 13:26 (Ref:4150500)   #2139
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the point on grid sizes is moot. 26 is still a healthy entry and the level that Gow wanted moving forward. Still think the quality is high, especially at the front.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 13:29 (Ref:4150501)   #2140
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the point on grid sizes is moot. 26 is still a healthy entry and the level that Gow wanted moving forward. Still think the quality is high, especially at the front.
It is but if we end up having the numbers dwindling because teams won't be able to sustain their sponsorships and new teams unable to enter, quickly it'll stop being healthy.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 13:41 (Ref:4150505)   #2141
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
It is but if we end up having the numbers dwindling because teams won't be able to sustain their sponsorships and new teams unable to enter, quickly it'll stop being healthy.
Exactly. Is that not why F1 has held back from three car teams? If one keeps winning others drop out, and if they have nobody to race against they drop out.

If HARD or NAPA or WSR called it now that'd be not far from a quarter of the grid, and if two went it would be a disaster. I'm sure that if that was the case other teams would run extra cars for drivers with budget, but it would dilute things. It's also one reason NASCAR limited teams to four cars - I think the BTCC should copy that, in case.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 13:46 (Ref:4150506)   #2142
thetool
Veteran

Most of the "teams" in the BTCC are quite different from F1 or even NASCAR teams. When drivers are paying their way through their own individual sponsorships, it's little more than a shared awning and there's no real dependency from one entry to another. Last year only Dynamics & WSR operated any differently to this, and this year it's down to just WSR.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 14:25 (Ref:4150513)   #2143
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Also interesting to see if ONE operates 3/4 Civics this year, seems to be the only real mystery left on this season's line-up.
I've heard that the 2 Dynamics Civics have been sold to One, so more seems like running 4 cars is more likely.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 14:28 (Ref:4150514)   #2144
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
You're right, the BTCC is dead.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 15:04 (Ref:4150517)   #2145
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Touring became too expensive
S2000 became too expensive
NGTC has now become too expensive
(Compared to the prevailing financial climate)
In the mean time,TCR seems to grow……….
I will get my coat
Old 5 Apr 2023, 15:23 (Ref:4150518)   #2146
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A sad day for the BTCC Dynamics have been mainstay of the championship for as long as we can all remember.

Hopefully they will come back at some point.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 15:47 (Ref:4150521)   #2147
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Super Touring became too expensive
S2000 became too expensive
NGTC has now become too expensive
(Compared to the prevailing financial climate)
In the mean time,TCR appears to grow……….
I will get my coat
Fixed that, all is far from rosy in that paticular garden. But thats a different thread.

Hard have nailed a business model that puts multiple cars out year after year (to what standard is open for speculation). Other squads have had to adapt or die to match. It seems like the Dynamics seatsa have been too expensive this year and offered too little in return unfortunately, a car falling behind in the development cycle. Why would anyone choose a 2017 Astra over a 2022 FK8? Price and ROI. Yes the Astra might not be as quick but PMR's off track offering can't be ignored if a driverr is bringing 150+ guests (sponsors) per weekend. Cheese/nibbles and wine doesn't cut it anymore. They've only had their own merch to buy since Christmas!

TD relied too much on Honda UK's PR team and didn't really learn the art of hospitality and the off-track part of things especially post-pandemic.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 15:47 (Ref:4150522)   #2148
thetool
Veteran

Dynamics have been absent/present in much reduced capacity about two decades ago, so not quite out of living memory for most yet!

2001 - Assisted VLR with Neal's 406 Coupe at the first round, switched to ETCC with the old Primera there after.

2002 - I could be wrong on this one, but I believe they had some support role to Dart Racing's Alfa 156 in the ETCC for Tom Ferrier.

Edit - I think I am wrong on the Ferrier thing, it was the GA production Alfa for Gavin Pyper that appeared from the second round onwards that Dynamics were involved in wasn't it? Dart was unrelated.

Last edited by thetool; 5 Apr 2023 at 15:55.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 17:00 (Ref:4150533)   #2149
Knight Rider
Rookie

Knight Rider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Definitely the sorriest looking entry list in a while. One of the problems with the BTCC being something of a closed-shop in recent times, there's nobody waiting to replace established entries when they drop out (certainly not of the same calibre). The total grid of 25/26 cars is the smallest in over a decade, down from 29 last year and even struggling to match the 2020 coronavirus hindered one.
Excelr8 not taking it to the establishment then?
Old 5 Apr 2023, 19:43 (Ref:4150540)   #2150
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While we have had 3 teams drop out this winter, I think it is more coincidence than anything. Both Cicely and Moffat were true family teams, who have both been at it for a long time which takes a toll eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Excelr8 not taking it to the establishment then?
They joined 4 years ago, so wouldn't class them as 'waiting' to join the series.