Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Jun 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3093943)   #2201
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Whoo hoo, |I say let em die
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3094110)   #2202
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Here we agree 100%.
probably less than you think, I am in favour of having diesels around, the sound is really amazing, (as long as no blerring petrol car passes by to deafen your ears).
Old 18 Jun 2012, 14:59 (Ref:3094135)   #2203
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if audi didn't express to ACO the will to keep on with their TDI engines, i think that the diesel engines weren't allowed at all in 2014 rules.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3094139)   #2204
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
if audi didn't express to ACO the will to keep on with their TDI engines, i think that the diesel engines weren't allowed at all in 2014 rules.
Don't forget Mazda's recent announcement.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 15:21 (Ref:3094147)   #2205
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
or there may be some sort of hope that Peugeot will return?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3094163)   #2206
alexkiller8
Veteran

that sheet about new regulamentation consumes is only about lmp1, the mazda new diesel engine is for lmp2 cars.
Is clear that ACO and FIA wrote the new lmp1 regulamentations (as always has been done in the past) to go along with the current manufacter wishes and the future ones involved... so, toyota isn't intersted in diesel, porsche i guess isn't as well, honda the same, GM/corvette for now is just a rumor but basicly is the last manufacter in the world intersted in diesel... the only manufacter that remain is audi, that run with diesel cars since 2006. This isn't a confirm but is a important clue that makes me think that audi will use a diesel engine also in future.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3094165)   #2207
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
that sheet about new regulamentation consumes is only about lmp1, the mazda new diesel engine is for lmp2 cars.
Is clear that ACO and FIA wrote the new lmp1 regulamentations (as always has been done in the past) to go along with the current manufacter wishes and the future ones involved... so, toyota isn't intersted in diesel, porsche i guess isn't as well, honda the same, GM/corvette for now is just a rumor but basicly is the last manufacter in the world intersted in diesel... the only manufacter that remain is audi, that run with diesel cars since 2006. This isn't a confirm but is a important clue that makes me think that audi will use a diesel engine also in future.
As a sort of "by the way" statement ACO announced that LMP2 cars can have diesel engines as of next year. As the LMP2 regulations are with us to stay for a while, the diesels will still be around. I also picked up that Audi has a state of the art TSFI ready, in case they want to switch to petrol.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 15:51 (Ref:3094168)   #2208
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh Henk ..... your making my day better , an up to date TFSI ..... READY !!!
Old 18 Jun 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3094173)   #2209
jo1998sh
Rookie

United Kingdom
jo1998sh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With LMP1 becoming coupe only, I hope LMP2 becomes open-top only as I don't particularly like the coupe LMP2 cars plus this would give a big advantage when identifying cars: e.g. the oak LMP1s and LMP2s that almost look the same.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 16:05 (Ref:3094177)   #2210
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
probably less than you think, I am in favour of having diesels around, the sound is really amazing, (as long as no blerring petrol car passes by to deafen your ears).
I'm sorry to hear that.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3094191)   #2211
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I'm sorry to hear that.
I thought you'd be a fan of sixes? The R18 really sounds great when you can hear the grunty engine note above the turbo whoosh (and other cars), better than the dull as dishwater 3.4 V8s.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3094209)   #2212
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo1998sh View Post
With LMP1 becoming coupe only, I hope LMP2 becomes open-top only as I don't particularly like the coupe LMP2 cars plus this would give a big advantage when identifying cars: e.g. the oak LMP1s and LMP2s that almost look the same.
sure, after reducing variety in one class they should do the same in the other class. btw, closed p1 and p2 cars wont look the same because of the different dimensions (reduced length and width), taller "bubble" in lmp1, and those structures on the side protecting the driver from impact or something like that.
But I think that the current p2 coupes look quite horrible, especially the lola. On the other hand the new lotus car looks good imho.
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio..._Lotus2013.jpg

Last edited by lms; 18 Jun 2012 at 17:10.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3094211)   #2213
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsvg View Post
I thought you'd be a fan of sixes? The R18 really sounds great when you can hear the grunty engine note above the turbo whoosh (and other cars), better than the dull as dishwater 3.4 V8s.
Erm, no. The R18 actually pretty much sounds like nothing. The second 908 was the only Diesel to really have something that could be called an engine sound, that wasn't even drowned out by a F458 surrounding it.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3094222)   #2214
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Erm, no. The R18 actually pretty much sounds like nothing. The second 908 was the only Diesel to really have something that could be called an engine sound, that wasn't even drowned out by a F458 surrounding it.
the best sounding "nothing" there is...
Old 18 Jun 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3094229)   #2215
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would assume ACO wrote its diesel/gas regs to allow for things like low-end torque as well as overall energy output, based on many years’ experience of seeing what the diesels can actually do.

Clearly, the fact that most of the new factories don’t plan diesel engines makes a difference, but I assume that the difference is that gas engines will no longer get screwed to let Peugeot and Audi dominate, not that Audi will get screwed. I assume ACO doesn’t want to annoy any factory, not that they are willing to shaft Audi to keep the rest.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3094245)   #2216
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo1998sh View Post
Um, I would to have those closed-cockpit LMP2s remain in competition.

Still, I'm thinking that in the future, the line between Formula One cars and Le Mans Prototypes will be blurred... Heck, I would like to see a prototype race car that can do anything in any surface, distance, and discipline.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3094265)   #2217
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Coupés are much safer.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3094310)   #2218
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtAfU...eature=related
Old 18 Jun 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3094341)   #2219
tpa8580
Rookie

tpa8580 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Rules

I don't come here very often but I love reading some of your posts. Some very informed opinions that make for nice reading.

As for the new rules I must say that to some extend emotions took over and a somewhat nostalgic Group C feeling came to mind when reading them.
I personally like the closed coupes better than open cars. I grew up in the eighties watching they great sports car era with Porsche, Mazda etc.
I think we'll see coupe LMP2 cars only in 2014 it would make no sense to leave them open.
The looks of the 2014 LMP1 cars is something I'm looking forward to but that will take a while so for now I dream.
The engine rules I think will make WEC and Le Mans attract more manufactures. I think the FIA and ACO made the right call doing so. It might even attract some F1 teams as well since the engine rules over there, even in 2014, don't give them as much freedom.
I have no illusions that we will see 1500HP cars probably more along the lines of 600HP cars with powerful KERS. But I do think we'll see some faster times and some more excitement. Anybody think we'll see LMP1 only sportscar racing like we did in the eighties.
Some privateers are concerned but I still think that this will all work out. No privateers is no fun.
I am wondering how they will lower the front wings as to give the drivers a better view. By looking at some high res pictures of both the Toyota and Audi it doesn't seem as though they have a lot of space. Could they go for a smaller diameter front wheel?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3094375)   #2220
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would tend to engines giving 450 to 500 HP, seeing the amount of fuel per lap allowed in 2014. The search for the consumption reduction of the thermic engines as reached its maximum. The present performances will be kept with reduction of width (aero) and weight (acceleration), and the hybrid systems (kinetic or electric).
The best point relies in freedom for the choice of engine, though it's not clearly written (V10, V12 allowed ?).
And the race for hybrid technologies and their improvement will be interesting too.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3094414)   #2221
alexkiller8
Veteran

partially agree, for sure also the weight reduction will help a bit to spare fuel beyond the usage of the hybrid system, but in my opinion is more probable a small reduction of actual poweroutput than an increase. As i expressed before in my opinion manufacters will decide to use direct injection turbo engines with a displacement not over 2.4L in v6 or v8 configuration, these units will improve their fuel efficency because simply can't reach an high revlimit like actual NA 3.4 v8 do (but will develope less power as collateral effect), but at least will gain a lot of torque in low/mid-rev that combined with the hybrid boost will give a much better acceleration than the actual cars. Top speed at le mans i think that will remain similiar to the actual one because meanwhile a possible power reduction, aero development will keep on to create cars with ever less drag (also because of width reduction).
Old 18 Jun 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3094431)   #2222
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so sure the Coupe only hasn't just been placed under Safety because they just prefer the aesthetics of them and couldn't just say that!!

The Audis were well underweight anyway, does anyone know remember how much they weigh, without the required ballast? I'm sure someone on RLM mentioned it.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3094433)   #2223
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On page 12, they make a big thing of the 2012 vision splays, but this doesn't seem to correspond with the windows on the car, whereas on the next page, with the 2014 car, they seem to match the windows on the car, so it seems like a bit of a nonsense, or have they placed the wrong outline of the car definition on there?

I'm also a bit concerned by the closeness of the feet of the driver to the front axle. I don't quite get the need to bring them forward, as surely a drivers feet are quite close to the front axle anyway.. It just looks like they've brought them forward to aid vision, but surely this can be acheived by the elements of the car changing or moving further back, as opposed to moving the driver forward in the car. Hmm..
Old 18 Jun 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3094457)   #2224
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
The Audis were well underweight anyway, does anyone know remember how much they weigh, without the required ballast? I'm sure someone on RLM mentioned it.
R18 (2011) 850 kg, R18 Ultra 750 kg

@ http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=3496
Old 19 Jun 2012, 05:25 (Ref:3094555)   #2225
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
I'm also a bit concerned by the closeness of the feet of the driver to the front axle. I don't quite get the need to bring them forward, as surely a drivers feet are quite close to the front axle anyway.. It just looks like they've brought them forward to aid vision, but surely this can be acheived by the elements of the car changing or moving further back, as opposed to moving the driver forward in the car. Hmm..
as long as the driver's feet are within the confinements of the carbon tub, they are more or less save.