Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Feb 2024, 10:22 (Ref:4196644)   #201
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Went to see the Audi vs Lancia film yesterday & thought it rather good. Yes, there is some dramatisation but guess that is inevitable in a non-documentary film. The driving scenes alone were spectacular & reminded one of just how brutal those cars. The testing scenes of a couple of 037 prototypes at Balocco (I think) were almost worth the 8 euros entry alone. There was one very questionable scene on one rally but I won't spoil it for others.

I think Henin-Beaumont must be a bit short of rally fans on a Tuesday afternoon as I was the only one in the cinema!

Next week they are showing 'Une Vie' (A Life) which I must see, so as one who normally goes to a cinema about once every 10 years I shall go two weeks running.
John, I managed to watch the film on-line (via a slightly dodgy looking but apparently above-board streaming service) and agree with your comments completely. They were interesting days and due to the dramatisation I did need a few large pinches of salt, but as you say some of the (hopefully) genuine archive footage was fascinating (I do like to see behind the scenes type stuff). I highly recommend watching the film too.
Old 14 Feb 2024, 10:42 (Ref:4196649)   #202
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ditto the above given the salt required for some of the dramatisations. Overall it was certainly good and worth downloading as I managed to do. I thought Riccardo Scamarcio's playing of Cesare Fiorio, Lancia Team Principal was excellent.
Old 14 Feb 2024, 12:57 (Ref:4196668)   #203
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry to intrude, more Bromham Babblings.

The "Flood" sign outside Lake Titibrombrom got damaged in the storm. We have a new one! Relocated to higher ground so it is easier to see!

Unfortunately they drained the lake two days beforehand.

So good to see someone confident in their work.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Feb 2024, 19:49 (Ref:4196736)   #204
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
How many of the panel have had problems with trying to use DVLA lately ?

I've had a lot of instances when trying to do checks online of getting messages that the site was unavailable - "Secure Connection failed" - but whether this is a Gov.uk or DVLA issue I don't know. Just had to tax a car I'd bought from salvage (so no V5c or green slip) and had to apply for the V5 and try to tax it - happily my local Post Office said they'd try to process my forms and did so. When I'll get the V5 is anybody's guess........
Old 17 Feb 2024, 13:58 (Ref:4197053)   #205
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just posted in the Tributes forum about the news of Tony Sugden's passing. Having become frailer of recent times he was latterly very poorly but went peacefully, I understand.

Having started racing on motorbikes, he changed after 10 years or so to four wheels, and his career included some 34 years in Special Saloons - with cars as memorable as a Daf V8 and the Chevron-based Skoda, racing against contemporaries such as Dave Brodie and Gerry Marshall.

I shared a Safety Car with him a few years ago and he was a great companion, and his driving belied his being in his late 80s.

RIP, Sugs.
Old 17 Feb 2024, 14:02 (Ref:4197055)   #206
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great shame, RIP Tony.
Old 17 Feb 2024, 16:35 (Ref:4197067)   #207
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a DAF Coupe lurking in the undergrowth outside a house I pass quite regularly. It looks quite up-together too, although you never know.

I always thought the Coupe was quite a pretty little car but assumed it was not terribly exciting to drive. With a V8 however...
Old 19 Feb 2024, 13:35 (Ref:4197294)   #208
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here's a pic from the Pom for Lancsbreaker:
Attached Thumbnails
VSCC POM2024_02_17 (1068).jpg  
Old 19 Feb 2024, 13:38 (Ref:4197295)   #209
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Here's a pic from the Pom for Lancsbreaker:
And me! That is just perfect., thank you Peter.
Old 19 Feb 2024, 15:56 (Ref:4197318)   #210
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is the very same Alfa Zagato at Silverstone in 1955 when owned and raced by J Bonnier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch114.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	720.0 KB
ID:	79317
Old 19 Feb 2024, 17:00 (Ref:4197324)   #211
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good bit of history there, thank you.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 05:55 (Ref:4197386)   #212
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
How many of the panel have had problems with trying to use DVLA lately ? .....:
The cynic in me says it's all part of the global anti-motorist green/eco/net zero agenda. Someone somewhere wants us all riding bicycles or walking.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 06:20 (Ref:4197387)   #213
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nope no problem with DVLA here. SORN, taxing cars, buying cars, all done speedily online.

I suspect that any problems are cock up more than conspiracy, results of employing fewer staff ever more cheaply - paying peanuts to get monkeys. And not very many of them either. "Save money by offering a lower standard of service" seems to be the mantra of both the public and private sector these days.

Old 20 Feb 2024, 09:04 (Ref:4197400)   #214
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Nope no problem with DVLA here. SORN, taxing cars, buying cars, all done speedily online.

I suspect that any problems are cock up more than conspiracy, results of employing fewer staff ever more cheaply - paying peanuts to get monkeys. And not very many of them either. "Save money by offering a lower standard of service" seems to be the mantra of both the public and private sector these days.

You know that this is what I thought too, Max. However, we are partially right and partially wrong.

It was only recently that since 2010, the civil service numbers have actually hugely increased. This has happened, though, at the expense of experienced higher levels, even the top level, of civil servants and employing junior members who have no idea what they are doing without proper supervision by knowledgeable people.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 10:03 (Ref:4197409)   #215
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Absolutely, my problem was trying to speak to an actual person ! I tried for a couple of days and failed, the ring back service is just a joke that simply doesn't work even leaving it for an hour, even if it worked the chances are that I probably wouldn't be able to understand them anyway ! but I won't go there Meanwhile i'll pop back into my cave Click image for larger version

Name:	Gordon Cave.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	79319

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 20 Feb 2024 at 10:09.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Feb 2024, 10:54 (Ref:4197414)   #216
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
You know that this is what I thought too, Max. However, we are partially right and partially wrong.

It was only recently that since 2010, the civil service numbers have actually hugely increased. This has happened, though, at the expense of experienced higher levels, even the top level, of civil servants and employing junior members who have no idea what they are doing without proper supervision by knowledgeable people.

I think you've nailed it there Mike. I have several younger relatives who've entered the Civil Service in recent times, all of them inexperienced in their roles. And all of them report that all the experienced, knowledgeable (read higher paid!) staff have gone, to be replaced by inexperienced, ill-equipped (cheaper!) younger employees. They also claim, unanimously, that they've had insufficient training to do their jobs effectively!

So what chance have we got when dealing with any body staffed by such people?
Old 20 Feb 2024, 12:41 (Ref:4197424)   #217
midgetman
Veteran

"Avon" race tyres to return? (Note the company name is a puzzle worthy of a Bauble)

https://novamotorsport.com/?fbclid=I...9TzmjTqjs#next
Old 20 Feb 2024, 12:58 (Ref:4197429)   #218
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Here is the very same Alfa Zagato at Silverstone in 1955 when owned and raced by J Bonnier.

Attachment 79317

Thanks, Peter and RBS Its a bonny car (no pun intended.....)

on the subject of government efficiency: Applied for our replacement passports online on Friday 9 Feb....and milady got her new one last Friday (16th) with mine arriving the next day. Both with texts advising us of progress through the week. Can't realistically ask for better than that.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 14:06 (Ref:4197448)   #219
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I think you've nailed it there Mike. I have several younger relatives who've entered the Civil Service in recent times, all of them inexperienced in their roles. And all of them report that all the experienced, knowledgeable (read higher paid!) staff have gone, to be replaced by inexperienced, ill-equipped (cheaper!) younger employees. They also claim, unanimously, that they've had insufficient training to do their jobs effectively!

So what chance have we got when dealing with any body staffed by such people?

Thank you, Paul. I do actually have a source with his ear to the ground concerning the civil service; my son, who worked there 30 years ago, but left because he didn't feel truly appreciated. However, like he has all his life, kept in touch with friends that he made there. And they have told him a lot about the mess that the service is now.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 15:20 (Ref:4197462)   #220
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
"Avon" race tyres to return? (Note the company name is a puzzle worthy of a Bauble)

Would be a good news. Seems they try to test interest in sizes and series coming from competitors, importers and dealers ATM. To revolutionise the world of competition tyres sounds an ambitious programme.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 17:41 (Ref:4197479)   #221
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:

Nova has bought the moulds and will be making them somewhere abroad.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 19:41 (Ref:4197490)   #222
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Nova has bought the moulds and will be making them somewhere abroad.

So much for their "British heritage" as stated on their glitzy website!
Old 20 Feb 2024, 22:43 (Ref:4197511)   #223
midgetman
Veteran

Mike it's exactly that. "British Heritage" not "British Made." What is "Heritage"? A nice nebulous word making us think of Cotswold stone and craftsmanship.

I doubt there's anywhere in Britain that can make tyres now and there won't be a big enough market to set up a new factory. It's Buggin's Choice.

Old 20 Feb 2024, 23:22 (Ref:4197520)   #224
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two questions that spring immediately to mind re the Avon/Nova debate:

Will the price go up?

Will the quality go down?

Be a shame if that was to prove so, but I guess we just have to wait and see...
Old 21 Feb 2024, 09:27 (Ref:4197581)   #225
midgetman
Veteran

Of course it will is the answer to either or both questions