Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 5 Feb 2014, 18:25 (Ref:3364521)   #201
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Well yes it is, but there hasn't really been much specific V8ST chat for a while has there. Considering there is often an overlap of the two V8 classes in discussions, I don't see an issue, do you? Perhaps you might like to add some fresh perspective if you're not happy with the current banter.
OTI, specific V8ST news is, unfortunately there will only be 13 V8ST car's on the grid this weekend [one car more than turned up at the first round] the two new entries are for Dominic Storey and Chris Hanley.

The good news is that things are looking better for the 3rd round at Pukekohe, which will also be the first V8ST promoted event, Andy Booth is expected to be back for the rest of the season from round 3 on, as well as Andrew Wait, in the Tasman car, and of course the return of Angus with Pace Innovation's rebuild of his chassis plus almost all new panels etc. So 16 cars for that round that I know off.

Rumour also has it the David John has sold his Porsche GT3 car and is apparently purchasing MPC Commodore, so if that rumour has any substance then its possible that there could be an additional entry at the 3rd round.

Well thats all my V8ST news for the moment anyway.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3364561)   #202
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
OTI, specific V8ST news is, unfortunately there will only be 13 V8ST car's on the grid this weekend [one car more than turned up at the first round] the two new entries are for Dominic Storey and Chris Hanley.

The good news is that things are looking better for the 3rd round at Pukekohe, which will also be the first V8ST promoted event, Andy Booth is expected to be back for the rest of the season from round 3 on, as well as Andrew Wait, in the Tasman car, and of course the return of Angus with Pace Innovation's rebuild of his chassis plus almost all new panels etc. So 16 cars for that round that I know off.

Rumour also has it the David John has sold his Porsche GT3 car and is apparently purchasing MPC Commodore, so if that rumour has any substance then its possible that there could be an additional entry at the 3rd round.

Thanks Mark, I had heard the same rumour. Won't that be entertaining!!!

It will be great to see the field numbers back to where they were last year. It seems some teams are feeling the pinch which surprises me a little; generally speaking, I thought the nations finances were on the improve which should be filtering through to motorsport. It appears the opposite is happening for some.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3364591)   #203
underwater_kiwi
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
underwater_kiwi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Firstly Ruapuna, my advice is don't hold your breath on that wish, unless the Canterbury Car Club is prepared to take a fair share of the financial risk involved. I am aware that Invercargill is making a very strong play for the same round, including making substantial changes to circuit safety concerns in the process.
Mark its interesting you say that the Canterbury Car Club is not prepared to take any financial risk for V8ST's last time I was aware from good sources in the club they did take a massive financial risk to help the V8ST's survive the first year of operation or did club members just imagine that?

Second talking to people at Skope last weekend it seems that the V8ST's have not even approached the track to see if there is space for them to come down so looks like its more V8ST's that don't want to come compared to CCC not wanting them....
Old 6 Feb 2014, 02:54 (Ref:3364676)   #204
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwater_kiwi View Post
Mark its interesting you say that the Canterbury Car Club is not prepared to take any financial risk for V8ST's last time I was aware from good sources in the club they did take a massive financial risk to help the V8ST's survive the first year of operation or did club members just imagine that?

Second talking to people at Skope last weekend it seems that the V8ST's have not even approached the track to see if there is space for them to come down so looks like its more V8ST's that don't want to come compared to CCC not wanting them....
Whilst its true that the CCC had to wait for some of their monies, so its fair to sayy that they were at risk, they did however earn earnt in excess of $85,000 for the first round and some $70,000 for the second round, unsustainable in my view and the principle reason why Ruapuna just does not work for private promoter's.

Teretonga on the other hand is much more realistic and accommodating, so if I was still making the decision, which I must stress, I am not [nor do I speak in anyway for V8ST] I would not go back to Ruapuna, a circuit I really like by the way, unless CCC had a total rethink on the track hire etc.

The Skope meeting is highly successful for the club because CCC don't have to pay a third party circuit hire etc.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 10:10 (Ref:3364744)   #205
KRDG
Rookie

KRDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Whilst its true that the CCC had to wait for some of their monies, so its fair to sayy that they were at risk, they did however earn earnt in excess of $85,000 for the first round and some $70,000 for the second round, unsustainable in my view and the principle reason why Ruapuna just does not work for private promoter's.

Teretonga on the other hand is much more realistic and accommodating, so if I was still making the decision, which I must stress, I am not [nor do I speak in anyway for V8ST] I would not go back to Ruapuna, a circuit I really like by the way, unless CCC had a total rethink on the track hire etc.

The Skope meeting is highly successful for the club because CCC don't have to pay a third party circuit hire etc.
I think both figures are gross amounts before their costs if you check the annual accounts. I may be wrong.

and for a bit more off topic........

BTW this years Skope 2014 had a huge gate and will prove successful I hear. Basically the normal large Sunday crowd showed up on Saturday then twice the usual Sunday crowd on the big day and not a MSNZ championship class to clutter the place.

Last edited by KRDG; 6 Feb 2014 at 10:14. Reason: spelling
Old 6 Feb 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3364944)   #206
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what's happening with Challenge Cup this year?

There were rumors late last year that the class had been scrapped. An official calendar is yet to be released and the facebook page has been silent for some time now. The website ceases to exist, but a competitor I've talked to seems adamant that it's going ahead?
Old 6 Feb 2014, 19:49 (Ref:3364961)   #207
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ruapuna consistently delivers the largest crowds of most circuits in my experience and seems to only be getting bigger, as evidenced by Skope on the weekend. But being the second largest population centre with a race circuit (2nd to Auckland) and large & growing numbers of young predominantly males in town working on the Christchurch rebuild (with money to spend) then I guess it's obvious that motorsport is seeing a resurgence.

The crowd at Skope is always huge but last weekend was indeed the biggest that I've seen in years, maybe the GM vs Ford theme being an extra drawcard?

If V8ST do want to run there (why wouldn't they) and have some concerns then it's probably just a matter of picking up the phone or calling in for a chat.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3365382)   #208
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:

!3 cars made it to Manfield and all 13 completed 2 practise sessions and a late afternoon qualifying session yesterday for race one today.

Ant Pederson was on fire and dropped into the high 1.06's, and was the only man to do so. Tim Edgell restored his teams confidence in his abilities by sitting in second place before being demoted to third by a hard charging Simon Evans. Andre Heimgartner and Murphy were demoted 3 places for having all four wheels over the white line, Heimgartner will start 6th and Murphy 8th.

Murph's practise and qualifying form from Highlands Park had deserted him and he struggled with the car in all three sessions, eventually beaten in qualifying by his own team mate Richard Moor, before being demoted three places.

Its raining here in "Parmy" today so fortunately the V8ST's second Qualifying session for race 2 is at 1.20pm this afternoon, so hopefully the predicted weather report for clearing sky's this afternoon is correct and we get another dry qually session.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 19:01 (Ref:3365388)   #209
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
!3 cars made it to Manfield and all 13 completed 2 practise sessions and a late afternoon qualifying session yesterday for race one today.
Thanks Mark, pity about the weather though eh! It was very pleasing to see Simon earn a front row start after all the rotten luck those guys have had, and for Ant to be setting the pace again; he needs to! Race 1 should be interesting.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 20:28 (Ref:3365413)   #210
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How did the TLX cars compare time wise in practice?
Old 7 Feb 2014, 21:01 (Ref:3365423)   #211
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
How did the TLX cars compare time wise in practice?
Have a look - http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/986080

For me, the big difference between the V8ST and NZV8 classes is that in ST you have a spread of 1.7 seconds over 13 cars, but 2.3 seconds over 5 TLX's and nearly 9 seconds if you include the slowest TL. Get the picture?
Old 7 Feb 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3365444)   #212
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Have a look - http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/986080

For me, the big difference between the V8ST and NZV8 classes is that in ST you have a spread of 1.7 seconds over 13 cars, but 2.3 seconds over 5 TLX's and nearly 9 seconds if you include the slowest TL. Get the picture?
Just had a look. Surprised by the difference in times between the TLX and Supertourers, thought it would have been a bit closer.

Last edited by adbutler; 7 Feb 2014 at 21:59.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3365454)   #213
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
LMAO you guys crack me up! you expect guys like Hughes or Varney to put out times the same as Bargwanna in their season? no offence to Shaun or Lance.. but seriously you guys read way too much into things lol

btw the NZV8s look and sound great at Manfeild
Old 7 Feb 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3365459)   #214
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Just had a look. Surprised by the difference in times between the TLX and Supertourers, thought it would have been a bit closer.
I see you deleted PARITY very quickly; that's not the word I had in mind. In fact if I used some of the words that do apply, Woolley would sit me on the naughty step again. The trouble with NZV8's, in my humble opinion, is that it's really the Jason & Nick show isn't it. And just about everything behind them shows a distinct lack of real talent, and there is therefore not much to watch. Sorry if any of those drivers take offence, but that's the way I see it.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3365462)   #215
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
you expect guys like Hughes or Varney to put out times the same as Bargwanna in their season?
Hello PM! Your words, not mine (or anyone else's for that matter). I don't expect anything other than what I've seen so far. My observations are just a comparison of the classes based on what they have offered so far in terms of racing and entertainment.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3365504)   #216
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
I see you deleted PARITY very quickly;
Yeah, I had to remind myself that the drivers (Bargs & Ross aside as Promax stated) aren't on the same level as the Supertourer guys so it's probably not so much a parity/car thing as opposed to driver ability.
On a side note, I'd be interested to see Bargs or Ross in a V8ST and see how they go on a level playing field.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 23:47 (Ref:3365515)   #217
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
On a side note, I'd be interested to see Bargs or Ross in a V8ST and see how they go on a level playing field.
I think probably quite well.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 23:50 (Ref:3365516)   #218
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
I think probably quite well.
So do I. Pity we'll probably never see it happen.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3365534)   #219
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Hello on to it just watching the st's first time in anger. Pretty quick on a slightly damp or drying track.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 00:39 (Ref:3365535)   #220
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
So do I. Pity we'll probably never see it happen.
Who knows, this is motorsport!

It's even closer after Qualy 2; 0.8 seconds covering the first 8 cars and 1.3 for the whole field (12 cars now, Haber didn't post a time)
Old 8 Feb 2014, 02:41 (Ref:3365566)   #221
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Hello on to it just watching the st's first time in anger. Pretty quick on a slightly damp or drying track.
You must be there, lucky man. I hear Lauder had a major.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 02:59 (Ref:3365572)   #222
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Unfortunately the bent toyota is in the shed covered up. No work being done on it.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 03:51 (Ref:3365589)   #223
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Unfortunately the bent toyota is in the shed covered up. No work being done on it.
Oooh, not good news. I heard "write-off".
Old 8 Feb 2014, 04:13 (Ref:3365596)   #224
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Might have to ask the Richards team or nick about the toyota nzv8

Starting to spit as the V8St come out.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 04:14 (Ref:3365597)   #225
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Count 13 STs