Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Which track will be added to the 2016 WEC calendar?
Montreal 10 16.13%
Mexico City 9 14.52%
Monza 23 37.10%
Interlagos 14 22.58%
Other, .... [please name] 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Sep 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3575379)   #201
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
Still a 'new' championship so they're taking it in steps to build it up. Good to see the post Le Mans gap has been reduced. However, I still think the season should start earlier - mid April is way too late; put another race before Silverstone in so we have 3 before Le Mans.

As others have commented, the number of Tilke tracks is disappointing, but understandable. Personally, I'd like each WEC race to be each tracks main event - not a back up to the F1/ MotoGP race.
I think it's risky putting races earlier than Silverstone - an event that has been attracting reduced grids as it is with teams not ready.

I do agree there is some big PR to be gained by picking up historic tracks that are driver and fan favourites. Don't agree it should completely avoid places like Silverstone, Spa, Fuji just because they are in F1.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3575430)   #202
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The layout is still nice and close to og besides the goofy stadium section. Maybe they can do like Nurburgring and run a modified chicane there.
I've actually never minded AHR, reminds me of Montreal, and Melbourne.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 20 Sep 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3575478)   #203
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Sc365 talking about Monza and Indy considerations. Monza left out because a self imposed limit of 4 races in Europe. Indy is a sideways move from Austin. Thoughts? The 4 race limit in Europe is stupid imo. Indy instead of COTA wouldnt make a difference though.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 20:07 (Ref:3575484)   #204
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sc365 talking about Monza and Indy considerations. Monza left out because a self imposed limit of 4 races in Europe. Indy is a sideways move from Austin. Thoughts? The 4 race limit in Europe is stupid imo. Indy instead of COTA wouldnt make a difference though.
I have to say I disagree with you on this.
A world championship needs at least 3 continents, and out of 8 or 9 races having more than 4 in Europe seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Especially taking the commercial wants of the manufacturers into account, with Asia and the Americas being so important and realistically needs two races each.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3575488)   #205
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
A calendar expansion solves that issue.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3575508)   #206
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Hingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
adding Mexico and fixing post LM gap are two (big) plusses, more Tilke **** is a grande min (how Nurburgring got the nod over Hockenheim is the biggest mystery in recent WEC history!).

Hockenheim is by name only as that track is long gone. The previous iteration was something special.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 21:18 (Ref:3575513)   #207
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Old Hockenheim was like a half-scale Le Mans, which is why Joest used to test there often.

Mexico City is one I remember from the NASCAR races there, and it was an interesting layout. The GP layout is broadly similar outside of the last corner. Seems like a good track for the WEC cars.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 00:06 (Ref:3575566)   #208
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
A world championship needs at least 3 continents, and out of 8 or 9 races having more than 4 in Europe seems a bit ridiculous to me.
Europe isn't a continent by any legitimate definition and this year 7/8 races are in Eurasia...

We don't need arbitrary limits on where races are located. Event locations should solely follow demand, not politics and idealist quotas.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 00:24 (Ref:3575570)   #209
TF110
Veteran

United States
This could be big dsc has news that Labre could jump to gte pro with the vette next year.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 08:35 (Ref:3575633)   #210
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post

Especially taking the commercial wants of the manufacturers into account, with Asia and the Americas being so important and realistically needs two races each.
They do need 2 races each, and they have that don't they? Fuji/Shanghai, Mexico/COTA?

Meanwhile, most of your teams are European based, so having the majority in Europe makes sense.

LMP1 - 5 teams based in Europe, 1 in America
LMP2 - 4 based in Europe, 1 Russian, 1 American, 1 Hong Kong
GTE-Pro - 3 (Grouping Aston Martins entries in 1) in Europe
GTE-Am - 6 Based in Europe (SMPs car being an AF Corse entry)

Overall

Europe: 18
America: 2
Russia: 1
Hong Kong: 1

So there should be considerably more events in Europe.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3575649)   #211
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This could be big dsc has news that Labre could jump to gte pro with the vette next year.
This would be brilliant if this finally comes off. The conversation with Wayne Taylor is also interesting.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:03 (Ref:3575666)   #212
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can anyone explain why on earth the season finale is helt at Bahrain? Do they have any series sponsor from there or something that generates money to WEC? Why not go to Abu Dhabi instead, run it as an evening race just like COTA? Surely both the facilites and the track is far better there.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:04 (Ref:3575668)   #213
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Can anyone explain why on earth the season finale is helt at Bahrain? Do they have any series sponsor from there or something that generates money to WEC? Why not go to Abu Dhabi instead, run it as an evening race just like COTA? Surely both the facilites and the track is far better there.
I can, with three characters: $$$ i.e. they probably pay a generous fee. We can only hope FIA/WEC uses it for something else than cocktail parties.

I'm sure WEC doesn't get paid this well but relatively the difference in fees could be similar:

Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:07 (Ref:3575669)   #214
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You've answered you're own question.

Edit - Dammit deggis.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:07 (Ref:3575670)   #215
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well considering that table, wouldnt Abu Dhabi still be the better option?

J Jay: Well which sponsor?
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3575674)   #216
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I've understood the fees start higher and then gradually get lower in F1... which explains for example Red Bull Ring's high fee. Bahrain has been in the calendar a long time...

Quote:
Not a sponsor, but the circuit (in Bahrain's case, the kingdom itself since it is state propaganda tool).
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:13 (Ref:3575675)   #217
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Not sponsor (the track is owned by the royals), but the entry fee will be significant, in line with the difference in figures deggis posted above.

As for not Abu Dhabi, without knowing the figures we can't be sure but I would assume Bahrain puts on (down) something a bit more to ensure that Abu Dhabi doesn't get the WEC finale, in the same way that Abu Dhabi pays more then Bahrain to ensure it gets the last F1 race. There may also be a surprising bit of differentiating going on, with Neveu not wanting to ape the F1 calendar too much by using the same track for its season ending race.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:25 (Ref:3575678)   #218
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Well thank you, that explains it a lot better
Old 21 Sep 2015, 12:42 (Ref:3575703)   #219
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody have a list with possible 2016 entries? This what I came up with.

LMP1
2x Audi
2x Porsche
2x Toyota
2x Nissan (???)
2x Rebellion
1-2x Kolles
1-2x SARD/Greaves (???)

LMP2
2x G-Drive Ligier
2x ESM Ligier
1-2x KCMG Oreca
1-2x SMP/AF Racing BR01 (???)
1x Strakka Gibson
1x Jota Oreca
1x Dutch team/Frits van Eerd
1x Signatech (???)
1x Morand Morgan (???)
1x Eurasia Motorsport Oreca (???)
1x Pegasus Racing Ligier (???)

GTE-Pro
2-3x AMR
2x AF Corse
2x Multimatic/Ganassi Ford
2x Team Manthey (???)
1x Larbre Corvette (???)

GTE-Am
2x AF Corse
2x AMR
1x Dempsey-Proton
1x Abu Dhabi-Proton
1x SMP Racing
1x Formula Racing (???)
1x Larbre (???)
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:20 (Ref:3575762)   #220
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
This would be brilliant if this finally comes off. The conversation with Wayne Taylor is also interesting.
One or both of the Taylor brothers perhaps? I dont have the 2016 Calendars in front of me so cant tell if there are any clashes between WEC and Weathertech.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:27 (Ref:3575764)   #221
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Lots of information, Neveu hints that something wasn't right with Interlagos (economy):

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/n...y-mexico-city/

Freight from Europe to Mexico is paid by WEC, free for teams.

Quote:
While having been in discussions with a number of other circuits, including Monza, Montreal and Indianapolis, Neveu said not to expect any further expansion in the calendar in the short-term.

However, he wouldn’t rule out unsuccessful events being replaced. Neveu said initial contracts with circuits are typically “one plus-two” meaning the WEC has the option to renew for two additional years after the initial event.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3575768)   #222
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Above longer story somewhat clears that up... it doesn't sound like a limit per se but that there needs to be some kind of a balance and 1 more in Europe "can't" replace 1 in some other continent and two more races at once would too much.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3575797)   #223
TF110
Veteran

United States
Someone claiming in the comments the Toyota team pushed for both Mexico and Canada! Wonder if true. NA is their biggest market afterall.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3575806)   #224
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Lots of information, Neveu hints that something wasn't right with Interlagos (economy):

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/n...y-mexico-city/

Freight from Europe to Mexico is paid by WEC, free for teams.
Mexico City two weeks before COTA? If people think Austin was hot!
Old 21 Sep 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3575855)   #225
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have liked Montreal on the calendar. I won't judge Mexico City before I've seen the F1 race this year. But I guess (having seen the plans for the track changes) that Tilke has successfully killed any character the track had. I'm not even referring to Peraltada, but to the fact that he turned every damn corner into a kink.