Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:19 (Ref:2008543)   #201
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Copse In, thanks to BRSCC, EERC, James Tucker et al for another successful weekend. Managed to end up with a very long shift on Sunday (from before the fog & stoppage to the finish) but thoroughly worth it. The two hour stoppage and re-gridding gave a nice opportunity to have a good look at the cars mid-race and see how they (or the tank-tape repairs) were holding up. Congratulations to Duller for preparing another superb BMW (even looked good after the #30 Aston side-swiped it in front of me).

Not to forget the Dutch Supercars and Sports2000 support in great numbers, with some very good races.

Will be back for more next year, with more lessons learned and more experience gained I'm sure that it will get better still!

And, for me, staying overnight on Sunday and booking the Monday off is essential. Surprised there weren't more people on the campsite on Sunday this year.

Al.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:24 (Ref:2008546)   #202
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well guys and gals I offered my pre-event Thank You to all the hard work you do but (no offence) I was hoping I wouldn't be needing them.

Well, just after midnight I did. I was in car 69, the Green Honda Civic that was rear-ended by the the Duke Video BMW into Vale. Apparently he had brake failure coming down into Vale and I was just unfortunate to be in the way.

Special thanks to the guys that rescued me and got the car back to the pits (would love to hear what you saw if you saw the incident) and of course thanks to every single one of you. Also, thanks to the forum reader (sorry not sure you gave me your name) that came up to me in the pits and said thanks you for posting.

You might be surprised given the damage that we rebuilt the rear end (mainly with hammers) and, as the suspension was smashed we replaced it with road suspension and after about 5hr we were on our way again, finished the race and still got 4th in class.

Car 68 after about 4hrs work

I was also driving the similarly liveried Car 68 and was blessed with better luck on that car and we actually won our class.

Regards

Malcolm
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:31 (Ref:2008549)   #203
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great weekend at Chapel. Moment of meeting was M3 cartwheeling in front of my post and catching fire. it felt a lot longeer than 10seconds at the time.
congrats to everyone at the meeting on a job well done
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:51 (Ref:2008558)   #204
David J
Rookie

England
David J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks to James and his team, silverstone circuit pam and pete and everyone involved in the running of the 24hour top job again, how ever the big question is what is to be done about the paddock diner, poor food, poor service not good enough. i have made my complaints to the catering company and would suggest if anyone else is unhappy that they also contact the company direct as this is the only way that they will get to know if their customers are unhappy or not so that they can do somthing about it. Email ukinfo@ aspirehospitality.co.uk
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:57 (Ref:2008561)   #205
mmm_five
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
mmm_five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I kept myself busy by trying to call out the car number by the livery rather than waiting to see the number - found out that this really helped during the hours of limited visibility (darkness or fog) as the patterns were easier to distinguish.

Those glowing numbers were a good idea - wonder if they should be compulsory as we had a bit of trouble calling in incidents when we couldn't see the numbers of who was involved.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2008570)   #206
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the classes are all colour coded, I was perhaps wondering if having the headlights coloured to match the classes. E.g. at LM the LMPs have white lights, the GTs yellow.

This would also make blue flagging easier when the cars have their lights on.

With regards to the door numbers, the problem with the electro-luminescent ones are that they require power and are also rather expensive. At Woodcote, the reflective numbers were only visible at one point just after the flag point as the cars go onto the straight (all due to angles). Fortunately, I didn't need to do much reporting during the night.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 15:47 (Ref:2008604)   #207
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those glowing numbers were a good idea - wonder if they should be compulsory as we had a bit of trouble calling in incidents when we couldn't see the numbers of who was involved.

I agree entirely. There were only three cars that were easily identifiable in the dark. It was the same last year. Perhaps it could be written into the regs.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 15:52 (Ref:2008611)   #208
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As others have already said - THANK YOU to everybody at the meeting, whatever you were doing. It was great! Any spectators that would like to join the team in future would be very welcome, no prior experience necessary, we can always find you a role and share the work. Email or PM me NOW.

I'm still at the track but only doing stuff that I would otherwise be doing at home, like viewing 10/10ths (and there's more space here). It means that I can sort out and then leave all the equipment here ready for Friday. Thanks to Gary Dearn for allowing this - it has saved me having to load and unload the car (and lift) twice. There is a BRDC Members track day taking place whilst the GP circuit is open (they DO own the road). Lots of fine machinery, both on the track and in the paddock, and plenty of personalised number plates (of the four or even just three characters variety).

Some quick updates and comments (more detail later as necessary):

Catering - on behalf of all of us, Pam Dearn will be speaking to the caterers (especially about the breakfast queues, there will be many more marshals at the LMES next weekend). I was caught out myself by the early finish for food at the diner, Jame Tucker (I think) did arrange for the trailers at either end of Ped Bridge to accept the vouchers but I'm not sure if everybody got the message. Something WILL be done about this for next time.

Equipment - thanks for returning everything, when I eventually checked, all the radios and lights were there without needing to be chased. I'm not sure what I'd do with the orange vests if it had been raining! If anybody finds one in their car or bag then please let me have it back next time you see me (LMES, CSCC 22 Sept, Rockingham F3/GT or Birkett Ralay for example).

Sincere apologies to anybody who missed the full pies and lunches service, especially those on Priory. That post is a bit on it's own when being accessed from the service roads but I admit that's a rather feeble excuse.

Lunch bags - I'd appreciate feedback on the content and quality. I had difficulty transporting and storing all the sandwiches, especially for Sunday. Would you prefer more non-perishables (cake, chocolate and drinks) instead? That would certainly be easier because we could just give it all out at Saturday signing on. For the same price as the sandwiches we could probably do a second drink plus three other items.

Raffle - yes, there is one, but I haven't done the draw yet because there are some more prizes to be confirmed. Watch this space.

Feedback - do let me know if you have anything else to say, either in public on this forum or by PM or email.

Time for a rest now.

PieMan
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:16 (Ref:2008627)   #209
mmm_five
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
I don't know if it is possible, or even feasible, but the only two other suggestions I have - besides making the electro-flourescent numbers a regulatory requirement (they may be expensive, but I can't see it being prohibitively expensive compared to most car & team budgets for the weekend) - are:

1) switch the huge camp-site lights off after midnight as I found sleeping without them on Thursday much easier than with them on Friday and they created a huge amount of light pollution during the night of the 24hr as seen from Chapel/Hangar;

2) instead of relying on the on-site catering, could a 24hr BBQ be provided near the centre of the circuit or the Copse runway campsite with varying styles of food depending on time of day (i.e. sausages/gammon/egg/beans/toms at breakfast; burgers/tuna steaks/hot dogs/chicken at lunch/dinner times; and an on-demand service at other times - food could be semi-prepared and then just flashed onto the BBQ and then the marshals could do the plating/garnishing themselves.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:25 (Ref:2008632)   #210
marcosmantula
Rookie

United Kingdom
South West
marcosmantula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add my thanks and congratulations to everyone involved this weekend for what, for me at least, is the best motorsport event this country has.

It was a little lonely all on my own at Vale on Friday but just in case Don Grice reads this (car 314 in the Dutch Supercars, whose rear wheel broke off half way through qualifying and he thought that was his weekend finished) it was great to see you back out in the races and congralulations on winning the Sunday race.

MaxxUK, the Duke BMW certainly looked to have had brake failure (or brain failure) as we went over the grass on the inside of Vale at unabatted speed and unfortunately you were in his path on his way through.

Pieman, thanks for all your efforts over the weekend. Like David J, I have also emailed the catering company and Silverstone circuit to highlight the problems. I thought you did a great job with the lunches, I particularly enjoyed the fruit cake (hope you didn't have to personally cut and wrap every single slice) my only comment would be to supply a drink with a screw top, as with Friday's lunches, so we don't have to worry about it getting knocked over if we don't want to drink it all at once.

Roll on next year
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:28 (Ref:2008633)   #211
blueoval
Rookie

England
suffolk
blueoval should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very much enjoyed my first 24hr shall be back for more next year one thing i was at stowe and would be nice to see some sort of catering around that part of the circuit evan if it was just hot drinks.For poeple who stay sunday night some sort of after race party would be nice a few beers always go down well. As poeple have said thanks EERC and BRSCC for a good weekend.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:34 (Ref:2008639)   #212
David J
Rookie

England
David J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see you got home safe paul and glade to here your coming back next year (or sooner) my rantings about the diner didn't put you off then haha!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:41 (Ref:2008644)   #213
blueoval
Rookie

England
suffolk
No went to tesco's and got bacon and cooked my own. It's a pity the one thing you want is a good breakfast and lets face bacon and eggs isnt that hard to do
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:54 (Ref:2008652)   #214
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just like to say a huge thanks to all of you for doing what you do best...

we (the drivers etc) all know we could not have these events without you all, and I personally would like to thank all of you for helping make the 24H what it is...

Simon (41)
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2008653)   #215
lescombes
Rookie

United Kingdom
Huntingdon
lescombes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote - "instead of relying on the on-site catering, could a 24hr BBQ be provided near the centre of the circuit or the Copse runway campsite with varying styles of food depending on time of day (i.e. sausages/gammon/egg/beans/toms at breakfast; burgers/tuna steaks/hot dogs/chicken at lunch/dinner times; and an on-demand service at other times - food could be semi-prepared and then just flashed onto the BBQ and then the marshals could do the plating/garnishing themselves"

I provided for the "Old Gits" with this scenario, it worked at Le Mans and again here, it seem that a lot of marshals think the on site catering is ****
, its a great idea if it can be co ordinated to suit times on and off duty, we managed but that was with 8 of us

Last edited by Woolley; 10 Sep 2007 at 21:39.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2008655)   #216
mmm_five
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon S

we (the drivers etc) all know we could not have these events without you all, and I personally would like to thank all of you for helping make the 24H what it is...

Simon (41)
Simon, did you make it to the end, or did I hear something on the radio about you pulling off near the end?
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:58 (Ref:2008659)   #217
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon S

Simon (41)
Sorry I didnt come up to the garage for a coke but things were rather emotional around you and I didnt want to be in anyway intrusive! Glad you made it and will see you next year at the 24hr or sooner with the lotus on track guys!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 17:00 (Ref:2008660)   #218
blueoval
Rookie

England
suffolk
Oh by the way dave next sunday i'll watch from the comfort of my armchair thanks for a good weekend
Old 10 Sep 2007, 17:17 (Ref:2008669)   #219
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Oh by the way dave next sunday i'll watch from the comfort of my armchair thanks for a good weekend
Get over and do it again! You know you want to!!!! I am and I cant wait!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 18:41 (Ref:2008733)   #220
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
catering

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescombes
Quote - "instead of relying on the on-site catering, could a 24hr BBQ be provided near the centre of the circuit or the Copse runway campsite with varying styles of food depending on time of day (i.e. sausages/gammon/egg/beans/toms at breakfast; burgers/tuna steaks/hot dogs/chicken at lunch/dinner times; and an on-demand service at other times - food could be semi-prepared and then just flashed onto the BBQ and then the marshals could do the plating/garnishing themselves"

I provided for the "Old Gits" with this scenario, it worked at Le Mans and again here, it seem that a lot of marshals think the on site catering is Sh*t
, its a great idea if it can be co ordinated to suit times on and off duty, we managed but that was with 8 of us
from one of the old gits thanks for cooking for us even though you had to take your daughter home . it gave us a decent meal at time when we need it
Old 10 Sep 2007, 20:02 (Ref:2008799)   #221
lescombes
Rookie

United Kingdom
Huntingdon
lescombes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No worries

No probs Matt, tis my 3rd "24" this year, maybe it will be 4 next year if i get to the classic in July, twice at Poste 70, take care Percy
Old 11 Sep 2007, 14:45 (Ref:2009381)   #222
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmm-five, 41 did take the flag, in the pit lane I was informed
Old 11 Sep 2007, 14:55 (Ref:2009386)   #223
mmm_five
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystacks
mmm-five, 41 did take the flag, in the pit lane I was informed
That's good, he must have trundled around from Vale - all that way just to break down on your last lap
Old 11 Sep 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2009469)   #224
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David J
Many thanks to James and his team, silverstone circuit pam and pete and everyone involved in the running of the 24hour top job again, how ever the big question is what is to be done about the paddock diner, poor food, poor service not good enough. i have made my complaints to the catering company and would suggest if anyone else is unhappy that they also contact the company direct as this is the only way that they will get to know if their customers are unhappy or not so that they can do somthing about it. Email ukinfo@ aspirehospitality.co.uk
I totally agree David.
After so many people put in such a lot of great effort over the weekend, it was a shame that the caterers were so inept. I don't think the food was bad at all, once you got it, but the speed of service and the organisation was just a joke, and did anybody see anyone who was supposed to be in charge??!!!
Maybe next year I'll just stick to the vans in the paddock.

Pieman,
The lunches were great apart from the sandwich container covers, which seemed to come off rather easily, causing the sandwiches to fall apart in the bag.
Scrutineers.
We had quite a few instances of things being reported (leaks/car damage) which the scrutineers were asked to look out for, but said they couldn't see ( because they were on a straight and they were the wrong side of the circuit). Would it be an idea to have someone from scrutineering at a right hand bend (Copse/Club/Bridge) who would be able to see these things.

Last edited by White flag man; 11 Sep 2007 at 17:05.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 16:58 (Ref:2009476)   #225
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have done other thank you's on this forum, but I really think that "PieMan", aka Alan Tyson, deserves a special thank you all of his own.

He actually worked the whole 24 hours (and beyond) in order to combine his role as chief marshal and as "PieMan" (although I did gain the monica of "PieLady" because I helped out this year). Obviously, this is not healthy for Alan so let's hope we sort something better out for next year.

However, I don't think anyone really appreciates what a chief marshal/pieman has to do - just to get anything off the ground, no matter how many helpers there are. Even at the end, Alan was sorting out stuff for this weekend coming!!!!

I had a slight insight because after dishing out goodie bags to the end of signing on, I then had to rush off to get to the assembly area well in advance of everyone else going out on post and, at least on Friday, suddenly realised that I hadn't had time for breakfast!

So, Alan, from your (slightly underused) sidekick - THANK YOU. And I'm sure that this sentiment is echoed by everyone else who was there!

Shelagh (aka PieLady)

PS: Alan, did the right thing not overdoing things on Sunday as I have an "acutely inflamed achilles tendon" which requires physio and limits my walking & driving. I guess that was my first and last time doing Assembly - or at least it is when I'm the youngest one(!) so get to do all the running......... Shame, really, as I had a great time despite missing all the track action.