Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jan 2020, 07:03 (Ref:3950763)   #201
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Chassagne was an ex-mechanic and very good driver, he became a Bentley boy I think. There's a Chassagne square at Crewe located on Rolls ave. Thanks wiki!
Old 10 Jan 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3950803)   #202
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I can thoroughly recommend 'A Gentleman's Motor Racing Diary' a series of four DVDs of cine footage from the late 40's through to early 60's. The films are the work of John Tate (of Tate & Lyle Sugar), who combined a love of motor racing with his hobby, cine films. John was an ex-fighter pilot, and was an Aston Martin owner and fan, his films include much footage of the works team at Le Mans and the farm where they were based. There is coverage from the first Members Meeting, and much from National and International events at Silverstone, Goodwood, Aintree etc.

If you want to know what motor sport was like in the days of Fangio, Moss, Hawthorn, Brooks, etc. this is the thing for you.

Bob.
Checked out your Gentlemans Motor Racing Diary Bob .
https://www.dukevideo.com/prdSIGNDVD...-3-DVD-Box-Set
Then found he had already got it .
He has done a lot of research on the cars .
Our demo car on central display at Goodwood FOS.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 11:01 (Ref:3950809)   #203
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I dare return to Lotus Viva's, chatting about them with an old Lotus colleague, he says there was also a Lotus-engined Ventora.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 11:31 (Ref:3950821)   #204
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Test Days @ Mallory

More details of the Javelin midweek 'Formula' Track days:

The local drivers are very interested already, you get a 20 minute session, every hour, noise is 103db 'Drive By', there are 6 weekdays between March & September, Cost £159.

See you there?
Old 10 Jan 2020, 12:01 (Ref:3950828)   #205
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the info do they have any dates .
Old 10 Jan 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3950829)   #206
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
March 12th April 21st May 20th June 10th Sep 25th

All the same price & all 6 20 minutes sessions spread over the day, so that's 120 minutes of track time & no more than 18 cars.

You'll need a full face helmet, overalls , gloves etc but not a MSA (sorry MUK) licence, as long as you have a full DVLA one you'll be fine, so you could share your car.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 10 Jan 2020 at 12:27.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 13:15 (Ref:3950839)   #207
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks we will see you on the 12 th .
Old 10 Jan 2020, 13:17 (Ref:3950840)   #208
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
I'm the giant in Race Control, I'll come down and say hi.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 14:09 (Ref:3950842)   #209
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I did come up and see you a few years back.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 17:57 (Ref:3950891)   #210
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
If I dare return to Lotus Viva's, chatting about them with an old Lotus colleague, he says there was also a Lotus-engined Ventora.
That's interesting John. I bet it handled better than with the straight six Bedford engine in it. The 'ordinary' Victors used to understeer even with the slant 4 engine in them fitted well back, but with the big cast iron lump, all the way to the front of the car they were horrendous!
Old 10 Jan 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3950896)   #211
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
That's interesting John. I bet it handled better than with the straight six Bedford engine in it. The 'ordinary' Victors used to understeer even with the slant 4 engine in them fitted well back, but with the big cast iron lump, all the way to the front of the car they were horrendous!
He did say it was a very nice car, but I really can't recall it.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 06:03 (Ref:3950970)   #212
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I used to watch most of the racing back in those days especially the EART team who had some rapid Anglia's, at one time the manager of them was Len Dixon who went on to design his own suspension parts firm calling it LEDA suspension. I would think at one time most of you 10thers used them for shocks n springs as I did.
Exactly what's on the Capri Gordon😉
Sent both front legs back for a rebuild and was told by by a very helpful guy that if I ever wanted to sell the legs, get in touch with them first. High demand apparently. Safely bolted back in where they came from now.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 06:08 (Ref:3950971)   #213
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
You are right Gerard , most people cannot remember , or did not drive performance cars of that era .
There are many things which are now better , tyres , brakes & suspension parts . They make a car a lot better/safer to drive .

So I think that perhaps drivers of that period were a bit more " living life on the edge " .
Plus that the drivers of the time were a lot more skilled. No relying on the likes of power steering ABS ESP etc etc etc. Those days it was only down to the driver.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 12:26 (Ref:3950998)   #214
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
On a totally different topic, just seen an announcement that made me proud to have Manchester as my home city.....there had been a request for the public to suggest names for a new fleet of road gritters/snow ploughs. The top 8 now adorning the trucks are:

Basil Salty
Snowbi-gone Kenobi
Grit Astley
Gritter Thunberg
Slushay Away
Snowel Gallagher
Spreadie Flintoff
Spreadie Mercury

I think the Snowbi-gone is my favourite
Old 11 Jan 2020, 13:25 (Ref:3951011)   #215
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
On a totally different topic, just seen an announcement that made me proud to have Manchester as my home city.....there had been a request for the public to suggest names for a new fleet of road gritters/snow ploughs. The top 8 now adorning the trucks are:

Basil Salty
Snowbi-gone Kenobi
Grit Astley
Gritter Thunberg
Slushay Away
Snowel Gallagher
Spreadie Flintoff
Spreadie Mercury

I'm pleased to see that no-one appears to have suggested simply 'Garry'
Old 11 Jan 2020, 13:31 (Ref:3951012)   #216
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm pleased to see that no-one appears to have suggested simply 'Garry'
They probably did but the snowflakes wouldn't have liked it!!
Old 11 Jan 2020, 13:52 (Ref:3951013)   #217
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
First race of the year just about to start .60 min enduro at Thruxton karting . Just done 5 min Qualy and I’m cream crackerd .
Old 11 Jan 2020, 14:36 (Ref:3951016)   #218
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Basil Salty
Snowbi-gone Kenobi
Grit Astley
Gritter Thunberg
Slushay Away
Snowel Gallagher
Spreadie Flintoff
Spreadie Mercury

As others have said , perhaps GARY GRITTER might be a step to far .
But it is encouraging that someone has a sense of humour , & that councils will listen to the people who pay them .
Unlike the BOATY McBOATFACE farce .

But wait a minute , why do they need gritters & snowploughs . 10 to 15 years ago we were told that by 2020 we would have a Mediterranean climate , &
" The poor kids in the UK would never see snow again ".
Old 11 Jan 2020, 16:12 (Ref:3951028)   #219
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As others have said , perhaps GARY GRITTER might be a step to far .
Quote:
But it is encouraging that someone has a sense of humour , & that councils will listen to the people who pay them .
Unlike the BOATY McBOATFACE farce .
Not wishing to be too serious or possibly curmudgeonly but this was a question of context. Humour has its place but the vessel in question was/is an international survey vessel carrying the British flag, as such it may reasonably be viewed as an "ambassador" for the UK. Gritters OTH are viewed by most as a necessary evil, so giving them humorous names is a good idea. I recall years ago the road builders would hire a rival's plant to carry out road works so that the company's name would not appear anywhere. So names mean quite a lot really.

Quote:
But wait a minute , why do they need gritters & snowploughs . 10 to 15 years ago we were told that by 2020 we would have a Mediterranean climate , &
" The poor kids in the UK would never see snow again ".
Indeed. It's a balmy 10c here today.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 16:15 (Ref:3951029)   #220
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On another topic, I'm still going ahead with the Mach E but I've currently got it in Grabber Blue which is a once only colour apparently. Now I learn that EVs will be allocated green licence plates. That is going to look bloody awful! Looks like I'll have to change my order for the metallic red.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 16:48 (Ref:3951035)   #221
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
First race of the year just about to start .60 min enduro at Thruxton karting . Just done 5 min Qualy and I’m cream crackerd .
Hope it went well.

I also have got a kart race tonight, just at Buckmore for the usual 30 min race and 10 mins quali. 32 karts should make it interesting
Old 11 Jan 2020, 17:56 (Ref:3951041)   #222
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
On another topic, I'm still going ahead with the Mach E but I've currently got it in Grabber Blue which is a once only colour apparently. Now I learn that EVs will be allocated green licence plates. That is going to look bloody awful! Looks like I'll have to change my order for the metallic red.

I knew the green plate thing had been mooted, but has it been decided, now? It'll have to be a pretty insipid green to ensure that they are readable, I'd have thought, unless using white letters on dark green - which presumably wouldn't be very reflective?
Old 11 Jan 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3951054)   #223
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I knew the green plate thing had been mooted, but has it been decided, now? It'll have to be a pretty insipid green to ensure that they are readable, I'd have thought, unless using white letters on dark green - which presumably wouldn't be very reflective?

But you won't need to read the letters because the systems will know where they are at all times.In fact no need to plates at all as all usage will be recorded and the mileage based monthly receipt for the Direct Debit will arrive by email.

Or text.

Or, perhaps, Twitter if whatsisfacebook gets is way.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 20:49 (Ref:3951070)   #224
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Hope it went well.

I also have got a kart race tonight, just at Buckmore for the usual 30 min race and 10 mins quali. 32 karts should make it interesting
We were testing today as well

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 11 Jan 2020, 22:00 (Ref:3951083)   #225
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
But you won't need to read the letters because the systems will know where they are at all times.In fact no need to plates at all as all usage will be recorded and the mileage based monthly receipt for the Direct Debit will arrive by email.

Or text.

Or, perhaps, Twitter if whatsisfacebook gets is way.
You make a good point. But we are already there. If you have a mobile phone, you are on the grid.
Closed Thread