Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Apr 2009, 17:27 (Ref:2446445)   #201
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
If you look closely, Whiting's is the #14 and the other one (at the back of that queue behind Sugden in Nicholson's yellow car) appears to have an 8 on the bonnet (presumably it's a #18?). It also has a light coloured section beneath the bumper whereas the '14 doesn't?

Ah ha! You're right, I'd missed that one.

Up close and very large I think it's #16 rather than 18. But that could be a trick of the light.

Anyway, I succumbed to digging out the archives and discovered, to my surprise, that these are from a slide film and thus the Aug '81 date can be confirmed for certain. Not often I shot colour positives but this seems to be one occasion. It would also explain why there seems to be so little latitude in the dynamic range. More contrast than we need for investigative purposes. New scanning technique required I think. I'll need to experiment.

Grant.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2446464)   #202
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Wainwright was even backed by Carroll Shelby - is there anything in the images showing that on the #19 at all?

Looking at the #19 Capri- it's hard to make out, as the more you zoom in on it, the more the definition goes away, but looking at the logos on the front wing, what's that behind the wheel arch? There's a Ford badge above the arch, then some kind of piston & con-rod-shaped sticker, then there looks to be a fairly tall sticker above and behind the wheelarch, running down from the top of the wing to just behind the arch, immediately ahead of the door. I can't quite make it out, but could that be a Shelby logo?
http://thecarsource.com/shelby/1967/images/67logo.jpg
http://dynamiclaser.com/imImages/Car...6-12-55-16.jpg
Old 21 Apr 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2446519)   #203
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Ah ha! You're right, I'd missed that one.

Up close and very large I think it's #16 rather than 18. But that could be a trick of the light.

Anyway, I succumbed to digging out the archives and discovered, to my surprise, that these are from a slide film and thus the Aug '81 date can be confirmed for certain. Not often I shot colour positives but this seems to be one occasion. It would also explain why there seems to be so little latitude in the dynamic range. More contrast than we need for investigative purposes. New scanning technique required I think. I'll need to experiment.
Well we aim to please

Look forward to seeing the results of your experimenting Grant.

Hopefully our anorak mentality has made up for the lack of material generally available on the web, which as you said earlier is scant in the extreme. Funny as this was a popular period of racing in Britain but rhere's loads of gubbins around from the 60's and the late 80's onwards but hardly anything from the late 70's to late 80's either in copy, images of footage?

Quote:
Ok, that would explain some of the other images as well. Quite an interesting F2 field (Tiff Needell, Jim Crawford, et al.) if I have the right negatives but I had somewhat more difficulty getting them in the frame as they passed by on the way to the Craner Curves (different shooting position. But still with the then benefit of no fences ...)

I'll dig out the negatives again if I get time later in the week and see if I missed anything else interesting on the Tricentrol side.
The images you've posted so far have been a very welcome and interesting addition to a couple of threads. Hope you get round to starting a new thread with general pics from that meeting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Looking at the #19 Capri- it's hard to make out, as the more you zoom in on it, the more the definition goes away, but looking at the logos on the front wing, what's that behind the wheel arch? I can't quite make it out, but could that be a Shelby logo?
Hard to tell isn't it?!

Ironically that's a car with plenty of logo's on it so normally we would be able to pick something like this out?

Last edited by chunterer; 22 Apr 2009 at 10:39.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2446590)   #204
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Looking at the #19 Capri- it's hard to make out, as the more you zoom in on it, the more the definition goes away, but looking at the logos on the front wing, what's that behind the wheel arch? There's a Ford badge above the arch, then some kind of piston & con-rod-shaped sticker, then there looks to be a fairly tall sticker above and behind the wheelarch, running down from the top of the wing to just behind the arch, immediately ahead of the door. I can't quite make it out, but could that be a Shelby logo?
http://thecarsource.com/shelby/1967/images/67logo.jpg
http://dynamiclaser.com/imImages/Car...6-12-55-16.jpg
I haven't managed to get more form that yet. The Conrod emblem seems to have a red S at the top representing a piston. Presumably the engine supplier's mark?

I guess the single star may also be a clue. Lone Star?

Still experimenting ....

Grant
Old 22 Apr 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2446848)   #205
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
ORP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Conrod emblem seems to have a red S at the top representing a piston. Presumably the engine supplier's mark?
That is the 'Swindon Racing Engines Ltd' logo, they built a couple of Gp1 V6's for Wayne Wainwright.

Last edited by chunterer; 22 Apr 2009 at 10:36.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2446852)   #206
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORP View Post
That is the 'Swindon Racing Engines Ltd' logo, they built a couple of Gp1 V6's for Wayne Wainwright.
Well done! When I read the logo description it rang bells with me, but I just couldn't pin it down in my head (and I was too far away from old copies of magazines to research through the advertisements!)

Last edited by chunterer; 22 Apr 2009 at 10:37.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2446854)   #207
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORP View Post
Thanks- after I posted I had a vague feeling that one was familiar from somewhere as well, but I couldn't place it either...

http://www.swindon-engines.com/SRE%2...202007%202.jpg

Last edited by chunterer; 22 Apr 2009 at 10:38.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2446895)   #208
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
So this logo idenification and explanation from ORP seems to confirm that the #19 is indeed Wainwright's car and Grant has given us a rare and welcome image of a car that we've managed to piece together some decent history about!

To reiterate this was the ex Stuart Graham Faberge machine and latterly Terry Nicholls' Thundersaloon which Sarnie reckons is the one in Gulf colours he posted a page or so back? The common denominator is that in all 3 the images of the car on here it appears to have a MKII bonnet as there is a slightly lower edge to the bonnet which makes the headlights look a bit taller if you know what I mean? So as the car was originally a MKII it seems odd that a MKIII bonnet was left out when it was uprated to MKIII spec?

Onto another brief point worth considering. There appears to have been much chopping (not literally I hope) and changing amongst the prep of the Capris and of those at CC's premises in 1980-82 in terms of who's teams they looked after!!

Gordon Spice's cars were generally CC built, but in '81 he didn't actuallty have them run by CC? If that makes sense.

Vince Woodman took the opportunity of spare capacity at Kirkbymoorside to have his 2 cars looked after by them, the start of a pretty successful 2 year campaign as the Grp 1 series came to a close at the end of '82 netting 5 wins, loads of podiums, poles and Fastest Laps (not sure of the exact figures) ORP.........?

Did Broadspeed or another prep firm do Vince's cars before that?

Rouse' new team with Sawyer-Hoare lasted only one season, but it was the start of ARE in effect and the relationship continued with Charles for a couple more years.

Spice's outfit returned to full CC services in 1982 when Rouse rejoined the driving strength I think?

So of the cars featured in Grant's images (and those not in shot that were at that meeting) I reckon a good half dozen plus were either built or run by CC:

2 x Spice (built, not run by CC),
1 maybe both of the Grant cars (Whiting's was ex Allam which was CC3) not sure about the Kimpton car though?
Assuming both Esso/Woodman cars raced there, both of them were CC managed.

The CC cars were usually running Neil Brown engines so ORP's comments about Swindon building Wainwright's engines begs the question how many other's did Swindon prepare engines for at the time?

Last edited by chunterer; 22 Apr 2009 at 12:42.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 11:20 (Ref:2446916)   #209
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Seems like we have a positive ID then.

The 'snake' logo does indeed look like a snake but not entirely the same as the Shelby cobra logo. The head looks more like am 'architectural' letter A at an angle and the tail is less wide and appears to contain some red colour - or at least not blue as the rest of it is.

Other than that we have the 'Kaminski Bros' label on the rear quarters and a small label on the fornt wiong that seems to read 'Hydro-Wine'. Googling these gives primarily northern US references (Kaminski Bros currently suggesting a Chop House in Wisconsin (iirc) and Hydro Wine being something from northern US and Canada?

If those connection are in fact valid I wonder how many of the sponsors realised their exposure was on the race circuits of the UK?

Of coourse, that was then and anything on the net now may be entirely unconnected.

Does anyone know of a picture of Mr. Wainwright? The in car face images are not detailed but may be enough to suggest a match. (Less so when crushed for web traffic use ...)

Grant
Old 22 Apr 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2447187)   #210
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
ORP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=chunterer;2446895]

Quote:
Vince Woodman took the opportunity of spare capacity at Kirkbymoorside to have his 2 cars looked after by them, the start of a pretty successful 2 year campaign as the Grp 1 series came to a close at the end of '82 netting 5 wins, loads of podiums, poles and Fastest Laps (not sure of the exact figures) ORP.........?
Yes, 1 win in 81. 82, there were 4 poles, 4 wins 4 fastest laps (3 of those records) and 3 podiums.
The last round at Silverstone they ran the spare car for the first time that year [82], for Jonathan Buncombe. However, Vince got elbowed down the order and finished seventh!!

Quote:
The CC cars were usually running Neil Brown engines so ORP's comments about Swindon building Wainwright's engines begs the question how many other's did Swindon prepare engines for at the time?
Swindon just prepared Wainwright's Gp1 V6 engines in the Tricentrol series.
Old 3 May 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2454739)   #211
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford
Finbin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First post so here goes.

I used to go to most Touring car races from late 70's to mid 80's with my brother and cousin.

I showed the pictures from Donnington August 1981 to my brother and he found the oringinal program.

Class A entry list:-
1. Gordon Spice Ford Capri
2. Phil Martin-Dye Ford Capri
3. Vince Woodman Ford Capri
5. Charles Sawyer-Hoare Ford Capri
6. Andy Rouse Ford Capri
7. Brian Muir Rover SDI
8. Rex Greenslade Rover SDI
9. Jeff Allam Rover SDI
10. Pete Lovett Rover SDI
11. Graham Goode Ford Capri
13. Dennis Leech Ford Capri
14. Nick Whiting Ford Capri
15. Tony Sudgen Ford Capri
16. Mike Kimpton Ford Capri
19. Wayne Wainwright Ford Capri

20. Win Percy Mazda RX7
24. Chuck Nicholson Mazda RX7

Win Percy won glass B and overall, I remember the Mazda's was quick and very loud!
Old 3 May 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2454793)   #212
KA
Veteran

Great stuff- I think that should confirm the identity of all of the cars in Grant's pics?
Old 4 May 2009, 01:59 (Ref:2454893)   #213
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

That's excellent Finbin. I can add the names to my files now. Many thanks!

Grant
Old 4 May 2009, 05:28 (Ref:2454947)   #214
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbin View Post
First post so here goes.

I used to go to most Touring car races from late 70's to mid 80's with my brother and cousin.

I showed the pictures from Donnington August 1981 to my brother and he found the oringinal program.

Class A entry list:-
1. Gordon Spice Ford Capri
2. Phil Martin-Dye Ford Capri
3. Vince Woodman Ford Capri
5. Charles Sawyer-Hoare Ford Capri
6. Andy Rouse Ford Capri
7. Brian Muir Rover SDI
8. Rex Greenslade Rover SDI
9. Jeff Allam Rover SDI
10. Pete Lovett Rover SDI
11. Graham Goode Ford Capri
13. Dennis Leech Ford Capri
14. Nick Whiting Ford Capri
15. Tony Sudgen Ford Capri
16. Mike Kimpton Ford Capri
19. Wayne Wainwright Ford Capri

20. Win Percy Mazda RX7
24. Chuck Nicholson Mazda RX7

Win Percy won glass B and overall, I remember the Mazda's was quick and very loud!
Just as an aside, this grid is as big most current BTCC rounds yet only covers one and a bit classes!
Old 4 May 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2455026)   #215
free-litre-v6
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lakenheath, Suffolk, where else!!
free-litre-v6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarnie View Post
It went to France (Gulf colours) not sure if its still there.

It was I took a pic at the same meeting, mislaid my programme too.
It went to Spain for a time were it was converted to lhd, in the engine bay pic it looks to be a Mk2 shell as it has the extra pressing on top of the inner wing (arrowed) only found on Mk2's. But it looks like the left hand inner wing has been replaced at some time with a Mk3 one as there is no pressing.
Hi Guys seems like your all doing an excellent job! rubic cubes you must have them for breakfast!!! these pics are definately the same car i purchased, we just need to work out whether it was Gerrys ex grp 1 car, and if so, was it cc or Roger Dawson that originally built the car, i can tell you i have spoken with Ric Wood, he confirms that the car was built by Ken Dawes and came to Ric with the V6 GAA, same body mods and red/yellow colour scheme, it then went to spain in 1996 to a FIA GT driver called Luis Villaba, then purchased in 2006 by rally driver Jeremy Easson, who removed the GAA V6 engine and the Getrag dogleg gearbox, that is where i took over i have been slowly rebuilding the car, its now right hand drive again, same arches and body mods (less the cosworth wing) castrol colours with a Ric Wood built small block Ford V8 sitting in it. so we know the history from Ken Dawes onwards, can we confirm Ken purchased it from Gerry Marshall? Mark.

Last edited by free-litre-v6; 4 May 2009 at 09:08. Reason: missed out some info
Old 4 May 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2455055)   #216
free-litre-v6
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by free-litre-v6 View Post
Hi Guys seems like your all doing an excellent job! rubic cubes you must have them for breakfast!!! these pics are definately the same car i purchased, we just need to work out whether it was Gerrys ex grp 1 car, and if so, was it cc or Roger Dawson that originally built the car, i can tell you i have spoken with Ric Wood, he confirms that the car was rebuilt into GRP 2 spec by Ken Dawes and came to Ric with the V6 GAA, same body mods and red/yellow colour scheme, it then went to spain in 1996 to a FIA GT driver called Luis Villaba, then purchased in 2006 by rally driver Jeremy Easson, who removed the GAA V6 engine and the Getrag dogleg gearbox, that is where i took over i have been slowly rebuilding the car, its now right hand drive again, same arches and body mods (less the cosworth wing) castrol colours with a Ric Wood built small block Ford V8 sitting in it. so we know the history from Ken Dawes onwards, can we confirm Ken purchased it from Gerry Marshall? Mark.
oops! added the following (re built into GRP 2 spec)
Old 7 May 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2457182)   #217
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I can't recall if Gregor confirmed it or not but was Gerry's Triplex G1 car lent or sold to Colin Vandervell after Gerry had finished with it in '79?

Vandervell competed with one around that time, in either '79 or '80

This would have significance in the post Gerry history of this red Dawes car if it was indeed Gerry's old one?

Another note, having got the excellent Gordon Spice book recently, there is naturally plenty of Capri info! Gordon states that he actually assisted Pete Clark and Dave Cook in setting CC up!

He also says that at the end of '81 Ford UK 'advised' Gordon to reunite with Andy Rouse for '82 and that 2 brand new cars were built at GSR's Silverstone premises.....

This obviously begs the question as to what involvement CC had with those particular cars in that final G1 season as normally the cars would have been built in Yorkshire?
Old 14 May 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2462672)   #218
beta
Rookie

beta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MK III HOMOLOGATION

Hello everybody, I am new to this forum and I have to admit it is fantastic. Congratulations!
I am building a 3.0 Capri MK III for rallying. Does anyone know the correct homologation number? I tried to find the homologation papers in the FIA site, but they were only available for MK III 2.8 and MK I 3.0. Is there a different document for the MK III, or it is included as an extension in the MK I 3.0 one? Please let me know, as I do not want to pay MSA for an inappropriate document.
Best Wishes
Old 15 May 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2462744)   #219
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome Beta. I must confess that I paid for mine and as it is a service we need (as you clearly demonstrate) it seems to me that people shouldn't begrudge the small amount for the certificate. That said I'm afraid I don't have mine with me, thus can't help with the number.
Old 15 May 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2462788)   #220
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by free-litre-v6 View Post
Hi Guys seems like your all doing an excellent job! rubic cubes you must have them for breakfast!!! these pics are definately the same car i purchased, we just need to work out whether it was Gerrys ex grp 1 car, and if so, was it cc or Roger Dawson that originally built the car, i can tell you i have spoken with Ric Wood, he confirms that the car was built by Ken Dawes and came to Ric with the V6 GAA, same body mods and red/yellow colour scheme, it then went to spain in 1996 to a FIA GT driver called Luis Villaba, then purchased in 2006 by rally driver Jeremy Easson, who removed the GAA V6 engine and the Getrag dogleg gearbox, that is where i took over i have been slowly rebuilding the car, its now right hand drive again, same arches and body mods (less the cosworth wing) castrol colours with a Ric Wood built small block Ford V8 sitting in it. so we know the history from Ken Dawes onwards, can we confirm Ken purchased it from Gerry Marshall? Mark.
Sorry guys, meant to post sooner but lost my password and I had trouble getting a new one plus MR Walton and I have been flat out on the new book about Dad - Jeremy was delayed finishing the book on Gordon Spice but we're catching up now (anyone see the pic of the Belga Capris at Spa in '79 and notice Dad's Dolly in the background??).

Dad's '78 Gp1 car was Colin Vandervell's Mk2 CC-built car, I think built in '75, it definitely raced in '76 anyway.
Dad raced it in '78 and sold it at the end of year, much to CV's disapproval as it wasn't Dad's to sell, especially as he had it advertised for £7.5k and only gave CV £6.5k of what he got!! If you look in any late Autosports you'll the "Gerry Marshall Offers" bit and the Capri and Spa Magnum are both for sale, crying shame, anyway!!
When Dad raced the car in '78 he converted it to Mk3 spec and even had to miss a round of the championship in March at Thruxton due to there not being enough spare parts around to repair his car after damage at Oulton Park.

RE free litre's car - if you have any reg or chassis details I can trace it through Dad's Sales Ledgers but the Capris are difficult. When Dad started racing them properly in 1980 (until 1984) him and Roger built loads of them plus they prepared loads - you're probably looking at around 20, so there's a lot out there. One way to tell if it's a GMR '80's car is the rear shocks (if it's still got the originals) but that's another story!! I don't know where you are but I'd like to see the car myself and try and help.

Dad's original prod saloon car was ex-rally crosser Hugh Wheldon's and the original Autoplan 2.8i Capri was a Ford press fleet car but there were a lot of 3.0 GMR cars - Skid Scarborough has one now, but that was originally raced by David Da Costa before he rolled it!!

Anyway, a bit OT on GMR cars - the only CC car Dad raced was in '78, the Triplex-sponsored car. I haven't actually read Jeremy's new book on Gordon but I would have thought that covers what Capris he had, if not let me know and I'll ask Jeremy or I can always ask Keith Greene (for those interested, Keith's wife Fiona used to work at Marshall Wingfield in the '70s - she probably knows more about racing than all of us!!).
Old 18 May 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2464325)   #221
free-litre-v6
Rookie

United Kingdom
Thanks for this Gregor, if you are coming up to snetterton soon, the Capri is in a unit en-route just after Barton mills (fiveways) A11 i think your father used The Bull? as a meeting point sometimes! let me know and i will PM the address. cheers Mark Fowler. (also race grp1 Esso Capri)
Old 22 May 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2467233)   #222
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this one in time!!

Found a very interesting classified ad in an old Autosport from March '83 that Andy Rouse was selling a 3.0 Group 1 car, freshly resprayed in plain white.

The car had previously been pedalled by Sawyer-Hoare, which suggests it was possibly Charles '82 mount, (possibly one of the '81 Juicy Jeans cars?) but more interestingly had been driven by Vince Woodman as well.....

Now someone either mentioned earlier (or I may have read it in an old race report?) that Vince kept a couple of his Capris from the late 70's, and was trying to sell them - must've been prior to CC taking over the prep of the Esso machines in '81/82 time but not sure. Could the car Rouse was selling be one of these, perhaps he bought one of them for the 2 car Juicy Jeans team in '81 or as a spare car I wonder?

Further to that, Annauto posted some time ago that a friend of his (Jeremy Easson was it?) bought a plain white 3.0 in early 1984 from Rouse and took it rallying , wonder if it was this car?

Last edited by chunterer; 23 May 2009 at 08:25.
Old 23 May 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2467480)   #223
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

And on the subject of CC again, They had a fully kitted out new 2.8i rolling shell for sale early in '83 as well?

Wonder if that was a cancelled Trimoco project for someone or other, maybe before they turned their attentions to the Mustang?

Last edited by chunterer; 23 May 2009 at 19:56.
Old 23 May 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2467766)   #224
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Further to that, Annauto posted some time ago that a friend of his (Jeremy Easson was it?) bought a plain white 3.0 in early 1984 from Rouse and took it rallying , wonder if it was this car?
Jeremy Easson was certainly rallying a Group A Capri in the mid-80's- it appeared on the '86 RAC. Now, as an an ex-race car, it wouldnt have originally been registered.

If Easson was road-registering an ex-race shell several years old for the first time with rally use in mind, would the DVLA have issued a plate appropriate to the date of registration or the date the car was built? From some notes I've got written into an Autosport RAC rally preview, Easson's '86 RAC car was registered ANA651T, suggesting it was of 1978/9 origin
Old 23 May 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2467798)   #225
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
If Easson was road-registering an ex-race shell several years old for the first time with rally use in mind, would the DVLA have issued a plate appropriate to the date of registration or the date the car was built? From some notes I've got written into an Autosport RAC rally preview, Easson's '86 RAC car was registered ANA651T, suggesting it was of 1978/9 origin
That is highly signficant as you say KA. The 2 cars Woodman was trying to sell in 1980 were I believe his '78 and '79 Tricentrol cars. The 'road reg' letter for Aug 78-July 79 would have been 'T'.

This does strongly suggest a traceable line......

Tags
andy rouse, belga, belgian touring cars, broadspeed, capri mk3, cc motorsport, cc racing development, chris craft, dave cook, equipe esso, gordon spice, group 1, group 1 capri, group 1.5, jeff allam, jonathan buncombe, martin brothers, neil brown, pete clark, spa 24 hours, swindon engines, tricentrol, vince woodman