Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 15 Mar 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2415832)   #201
Eircamae86
Rookie

Eircamae86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep thats him, he does alot of high profile stuff with Option1 magazine in Japan & Drives the Option1 TRD Levin (the famous TRD car with 86 on the side with the White/Red/Grey decals) in the N2 series over there, at least he used to, Id get a pic of it but it would be well off topic, search youtube or some thing for N2 race, I havent seen any from 2009 yet but I do know the anual ae86 festival in Nagoya? was on recently & its one of the N2 races.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2416249)   #202
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I think we decided it was Whale- as you said, he's mentioned in the MN report, I think it looks like his name on the door, and 'Central BMW' (on the sunstrip) were one of his sponsors.

It would be interesting to see the official entry list though...
So it is Nick Whale as I can just see the BMW logos there.

I will have scrummage through and contact some people about the official entry list.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2416647)   #203
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
. Behind you have the #16 VW Golf GTI of which I only have one race - Round 3 of the 1985 AJTCC. Auto Lager Schmidt being the name I'm told.

Jesper
Quick VW-related off-topic moment- looking at the pic, the sunstrip on the Golf suggests the 'Schmidt' in 'Auto Lager Schmidt' must be the Konrad Schmidt outfit from Germany, known for running Audi race and rally programmes (DTM etc) as well as a diversion into Metro 6R4s in '86- note the butterfly logo in the middle of the sunstrip, comapred with the one behind the wheelarch in this shot of Susanne Kottulinsky's rally 200 Quattro...
http://www.rallye-wahn.de/Bilder/198...e88/Bild24.jpg
Old 17 Mar 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2417242)   #204
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quick VW-related off-topic moment- looking at the pic, the sunstrip on the Golf suggests the 'Schmidt' in 'Auto Lager Schmidt' must be the Konrad Schmidt outfit from Germany, known for running Audi race and rally programmes (DTM etc) as well as a diversion into Metro 6R4s in '86- note the butterfly logo in the middle of the sunstrip, comapred with the one behind the wheelarch in this shot of Susanne Kottulinsky's rally 200 Quattro...
http://www.rallye-wahn.de/Bilder/198...e88/Bild24.jpg
Good point KA, but I have a few pictures of other VWs in Japan wearing Abt and Veytal signatures so the Schmidt strip was possibly more an add for tuning parts.

Jesper
Old 17 Mar 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2417255)   #205
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Good point KA, but I have a few pictures of other VWs in Japan wearing Abt and Veytal signatures so the Schmidt strip was possibly more an add for tuning parts.

Jesper
Makes sense- I guess a Schmidt or Abt logo on the car could mean anything from a complete car built and supplied from Germany to a car locally prepared in Japan using parts bought from Schmidt/Abt/Veytal etc, or, as you say, just an ad. I was working on an assumption that if you were preparing a Group A Golf in Japan, you'd want to talk to the established German VW preparation outfits for parts/advice/etc, if not a complete customer car, in the same way that if I was building a Corolla in Europe, the first thing I'd want to look at would be the TOM'S parts catalogue...
Old 17 Mar 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2417270)   #206
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Makes sense- I guess a Schmidt or Abt logo on the car could mean anything from a complete car built and supplied from Germany to a car locally prepared in Japan using parts bought from Schmidt/Abt/Veytal etc, or, as you say, just an ad. I was working on an assumption that if you were preparing a Group A Golf in Japan, you'd want to talk to the established German VW preparation outfits for parts/advice/etc, if not a complete customer car, in the same way that if I was building a Corolla in Europe, the first thing I'd want to look at would be the TOM'S parts catalogue...
http://www.euromontagna.com/gallery....race=188&lng=2
Please look for the #100 Golf from this Czech hill climb. The Abt Golf from Japan I was referring had the same blue/white paint scheme, but before thinking about being the same car they both were in action on this date, June 16 1985.

Perhaps it would appropriate to move the Volkswagen discussion to this thread - post #4
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...1985+all-japan

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 17 Mar 2009 at 11:09.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2417325)   #207
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Perhaps it would appropriate to move the Volkswagen discussion to this thread - post #4
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...1985+all-japan

Jesper
Or as KA suggested recently set up a specific Group A/N VW thread??
Old 17 Mar 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2417602)   #208
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Or as KA suggested recently set up a specific Group A/N VW thread??
Yes, that was an idea. I have been given this a thought or two in the past that also included the Audi 80 - technically the same to a point.

Jesper
Old 19 Mar 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2418942)   #209
Eircamae86
Rookie

A few more

Old 19 Mar 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2419172)   #210
KA
Veteran

Mostly Bob Holden at Spa & Bathurst- the white #105 car is Geoff Kimber-Smith's AGK Motorsport car, regularly seen in the BTCC and occasional European outings, shared with Holden and Don Smith, as captioned in one of the pics. The other car at Spa (#133) is Holden's regular mount, shipped over for Spa '88 and shared with Ray Gulson and Ray Lintott

The white #94 car at the bottom is the Chris Hodgetts car of Andrew Bagnall/Mark Jennings at Bathurst '87. From memory, I think Chris qualified the car but didn't race, concentrating on being team manager?
Old 20 Mar 2009, 02:52 (Ref:2419912)   #211
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Mostly Bob Holden at Spa & Bathurst- the white #105 car is Geoff Kimber-Smith's AGK Motorsport car, regularly seen in the BTCC and occasional European outings, shared with Holden and Don Smith, as captioned in one of the pics. The other car at Spa (#133) is Holden's regular mount, shipped over for Spa '88 and shared with Ray Gulson and Ray Lintott

The white #94 car at the bottom is the Chris Hodgetts car of Andrew Bagnall/Mark Jennings at Bathurst '87. From memory, I think Chris qualified the car but didn't race, concentrating on being team manager?
#133 & #57 in the above pics are actually the same car, the Bathurst shot being taken 3 or 4 years prior to the Spa shot. Forum member TerryO is currently restoring that car.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2420193)   #212
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, that was an idea. I have been given this a thought or two in the past that also included the Audi 80 - technically the same to a point.

Jesper
Sounds like the best way of doing that one- Watch this space....
Old 20 Mar 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2420249)   #213
Eircamae86
Rookie

Had been wrecking my head, but a good friend of mine & hopefully soon poster on ten-tenths "frak" sorted this one out for me,
The Trampio Poem..

The race track and the human body......
both born of the earth......
drive to be one with the earth.
and through the earth one with the car
drive to the undiminished dream.....
single moments of pleasure,
an eternity of memories.

I like it
Old 20 Mar 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2420286)   #214
KA
Veteran

Brilliant- I'd been wondering where I could find that! I think I first heard of it in an Autosport race report from the Fuji touring car race in either 1985/6, and then on the decal sheet for the Fujimi 1/24 scale Trampio AE86 that's buried in a box somewhere in the furthest recesses of my parents' loft
Old 21 Mar 2009, 07:44 (Ref:2420722)   #215
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eircamae86 View Post
Had been wrecking my head, but a good friend of mine & hopefully soon poster on ten-tenths "frak" sorted this one out for me,
The Trampio Poem..

The race track and the human body......
both born of the earth......
drive to be one with the earth.
and through the earth one with the car
drive to the undiminished dream.....
single moments of pleasure,
an eternity of memories.

I like it
A poem on a race car! Who's the poet then?
Thank you for providing the lyrics, as I never even had an idea that the scrible was a poet.

Jesper
Old 21 Mar 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2420744)   #216
Eircamae86
Rookie

Old 25 Mar 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2424331)   #217
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:

1986 AMSCAR race at Amaroo Park. Likely held on August 3 1986 and thus to be the fifth and final round of that series as well as the opening round of the endurance series. John Smith and Drew Price would end as class winners fifth overall followed by Mike Quinn in the Bob Holden car. David Ratcliff would finish third and final in class C 11th overall from 12 finishers.

Jesper
Old 25 Mar 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2424339)   #218
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:

The two TTA Corollas at the 1987 James Hardie 1000. Judging from the fine sunshine these pictures must've been taken before race day. The cars ran a convincingly one-two in class when they were caught out by heavy rain in the later part of the race, leaving Bob Holden to take the honours.

Jesper
Old 11 Apr 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2438551)   #219
Eircamae86
Rookie

Thanks to a mate of mine in Scandanavia.

Old 11 Apr 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2438555)   #220
Eircamae86
Rookie

Old 13 Apr 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2439890)   #221
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks to a mate of mine in Scandanavia.

Bob Holden at two of his lesser Bathurst forays. The #78 picture shows him, Damon Beck and Jim Faneco descending the mountain, the picture taken just after "Skyline"? The race was held on October 2, 1988 and the Holden Corolla finished a distant 5th in class, 17th overall.
The second picture is presumably the same car but from October 5, 1986. Bob Holden again, this time with Geoff Kimber-Smith co-driving (didn't knew GK-S went down under!) for a 4th in class, 27th overall.

Jesper
Old 15 Apr 2009, 03:24 (Ref:2440985)   #223
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Bob Holden at two of his lesser Bathurst forays. The #78 picture shows him, Damon Beck and Jim Faneco descending the mountain, the picture taken just after "Skyline"? The race was held on October 2, 1988 and the Holden Corolla finished a distant 5th in class, 17th overall.
The second picture is presumably the same car but from October 5, 1986. Bob Holden again, this time with Geoff Kimber-Smith co-driving (didn't knew GK-S went down under!) for a 4th in class, 27th overall.

Jesper
Yes, that is the same car, it is presently being restored by 10/10 member TerryO.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2441244)   #224
KA
Veteran

Quote:

Jesper
presumably done as part of the same deal that put Holden and Don Smith into GK-S's car at Spa?
Old 20 May 2009, 07:15 (Ref:2465512)   #225
groupasprinter
Rookie

groupasprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malcom Rea, AE86 sprinter Bathurst 1992

Would anybody have any history or photo's on the AE86 that Malcom Rea built?

Tags
btcc, chms, chris hodgetts, group a, jtcc, toyota corolla ae86, toyota corolla gt16