Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Oct 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3155876)   #2226
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It's the same people complaining about the unified GT class where, as long as everything is fine THIS YEAR then there is no problem. It's important to look at the bigger picture.
No, it's not the same people! I think the unified GT class is absolutely fantastic. On the other hand, I think this year was the wrong time to start a World Championship. The bigger picture is that over the next few years, there are going to be many changes in each class (teams will have to buy new cars) and at the same time, you're making every team spend more on travel costs. If they continued to build their European fan base up for a couple more years, I think the ACO would have been much better off.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 14:22 (Ref:3155886)   #2227
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
The bigger picture is that over the next few years, there are going to be many changes in each class (teams will have to buy new cars) and at the same time, you're making every team spend more on travel costs. If they continued to build their European fan base up for a couple more years, I think the ACO would have been much better off.
Where is this 'new' European fanbase coming from? The ELMS had been racing in Europe for years and was on a downward spiral. So continuing to do that wasn't really an option - especially when the manufacturers showed they quite clearly didn't care about racing at the likes of the Hungaroring or wherever.

You can't tell me a manufacturer like Toyota didn't get more out of winning in Fuji (or Audi in China) than they would winning at Imola.

It's very tough to just build a world championship and have it blow people's minds from day one. If Peugeot hadn't had their crisis I honestly think this year would have been insanely good. Now after they pulled out at the last-possible minute it's easy to go back in hindsight and say it was too early.

But next year you have an already established calendar that should see reduced travel costs. A straight fight between Audi and Toyota at EVERY round - not just in the places they pick. Grid sizes should swell slightly. I don't really know what more you want.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 01:22 (Ref:3156181)   #2228
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You can't tell me a manufacturer like Toyota didn't get more out of winning in Fuji (or Audi in China) than they would winning at Imola.
Both would have gotten a lot more out of winning at Petit last weekend
Old 23 Oct 2012, 01:48 (Ref:3156196)   #2229
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Great point. Probably why Audi will run Sebring.
I also believe Toyota is probably get way more miles marketing-wise with their 2 David vs. Goliath victories over Audi in the WEC than Audi will from winning the WEC overall.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3156342)   #2230
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Toyota will get more out of Denny Hamlin taking the Chase in Nascar
Old 23 Oct 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3156450)   #2231
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
No, it's not the same people! I think the unified GT class is absolutely fantastic.
Except as we've heard from Ratel, there won't be a unified GT class...
Old 23 Oct 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3156543)   #2232
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Simmi, you're missing some key factors, and a couple of them you mentioned, but didn't elaborate on in the case of the (E)LMS.

The LMS only had three seasons (2007-09) of full-time works participation in LMP1, and only one season with multiple LMP1 factory efforts (2008). You know as well as I that factories draw fans, and advance the series with their investments. Also, the European series hasn't really had factory GT programs, so it hasn't been able to really fall back on that. Even in WEC, as much trouble as we see for LMP1 going forward, GT isn't exactly looking stellar there either.

It would also help to have venue consistency, and have the races at given venues taking place at the same time each year, year after year. Again, factory investment would help here, and would also make it much less likely that the series would be going to tracks like the Hungaroring.

Just having a series doesn't mean you've really given it a go to make it a success. The LMS didn't do a good enough job of building up that foundation, and the WEC should be doing a better job of building theirs.

Actually, the only specific venue I have an inherent issue with is Bahrain. That's the only one I would automatically want dropped. As for the rest, get the venues, and when the races take place at them, set and keep them there.

For Europe, have races at Monza, Spa, Le Mans, Nurburgring, and Silverstone. Make Monza, Spa, Nurburgring, and Silverstone the LMS; those tracks are long enough that they should be able to accommodate the large field. (And it really does seem silly not to have a round in either of the two countries that have been putting the most cars on the grid.)

For Asia, Fuji and Shanghai are fine. Then figure out which track to add among the main options: Dubai (if you must), Sepang, Buddh, or Yeongam. If the base WEC grid continues to be noticeably reduced from the European rounds, consider running combined with the AsLMS.

In the Americas, we have Austin and Interlagos, so go with that for now.

Have a three-tiered entry fee structure. The lowest rate is for individual races. Have a middle rate for those taking part in the five European rounds. And have the top rate for full-season participants. Of course, make the per-race rate lower for those taking part in more races.

in the longer term, they should look at doing a media rights deal, and a payout system from that, somewhat like F1. Give the factories the impetus to invest in order to get that return for the added media exposure they're helping to pay for.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3156579)   #2233
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Purist, I agree 110%. Thats the way I would have done it. It would surely be too eady and sensible to do it that way. I'm sure you'll get a que of people telling you that racing at Monza and the Nurburgring is a waste of time for manufacturers. But as far as I can see Sportscar series also needs privateers and fans, and both have a lot of options in Europe at the moment if they don't like what you have to offer.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3156639)   #2234
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish the old Hockenheimring was still around.

That would be a great warmup race for Le Mans.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3156656)   #2235
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed about Audi.

Not so sure about Toyota though, I would imagine winning in Fuji (especially since it's their first year) probably has more relevance to them than PLM.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3156711)   #2236
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Simmi, you're missing some key factors, and a couple of them you mentioned, but didn't elaborate on in the case of the (E)LMS.

The LMS only had three seasons (2007-09) of full-time works participation in LMP1, and only one season with multiple LMP1 factory efforts (2008). You know as well as I that factories draw fans, and advance the series with their investments. Also, the European series hasn't really had factory GT programs, so it hasn't been able to really fall back on that. Even in WEC, as much trouble as we see for LMP1 going forward, GT isn't exactly looking stellar there either.

It would also help to have venue consistency, and have the races at given venues taking place at the same time each year, year after year. Again, factory investment would help here, and would also make it much less likely that the series would be going to tracks like the Hungaroring.

Just having a series doesn't mean you've really given it a go to make it a success. The LMS didn't do a good enough job of building up that foundation, and the WEC should be doing a better job of building theirs.

Actually, the only specific venue I have an inherent issue with is Bahrain. That's the only one I would automatically want dropped. As for the rest, get the venues, and when the races take place at them, set and keep them there.

For Europe, have races at Monza, Spa, Le Mans, Nurburgring, and Silverstone. Make Monza, Spa, Nurburgring, and Silverstone the LMS; those tracks are long enough that they should be able to accommodate the large field. (And it really does seem silly not to have a round in either of the two countries that have been putting the most cars on the grid.)

For Asia, Fuji and Shanghai are fine. Then figure out which track to add among the main options: Dubai (if you must), Sepang, Buddh, or Yeongam. If the base WEC grid continues to be noticeably reduced from the European rounds, consider running combined with the AsLMS.

In the Americas, we have Austin and Interlagos, so go with that for now.

Have a three-tiered entry fee structure. The lowest rate is for individual races. Have a middle rate for those taking part in the five European rounds. And have the top rate for full-season participants. Of course, make the per-race rate lower for those taking part in more races.

in the longer term, they should look at doing a media rights deal, and a payout system from that, somewhat like F1. Give the factories the impetus to invest in order to get that return for the added media exposure they're helping to pay for.
Yep, agree... just would add one point, starting the series with Silverstone I think isn't a good idea.

Not to have races in Italy and Germany indeed I'm wondering about too but obviously the manufactures doesn't seem to be bothered very much by that fact. Maybe in Germany they are already happy with the existence of the DTM, GT Masters and so on...

Old 24 Oct 2012, 04:10 (Ref:3156839)   #2237
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Great point. Probably why Audi will run Sebring.
I also believe Toyota is probably get way more miles marketing-wise with their 2 David vs. Goliath victories over Audi in the WEC than Audi will from winning the WEC overall.
PLUS ONE!!!!
Old 24 Oct 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3157042)   #2238
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Monza was dropped after 2008, Nurburgring was dropped after 2009. But lets only b!tch about the WEC.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3157137)   #2239
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Monza was dropped after 2008, Nurburgring was dropped after 2009. But lets only b!tch about the WEC.
Instead there are rounds in Bahrain and China, but then it wouldn't be really be the World Endurance Championship, if most of the races were held in Europe.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3157173)   #2240
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the requirements to be called "World"?

3 out of the 7 continents?
Old 24 Oct 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3157207)   #2241
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
What are the requirements to be called "World"?

3 out of the 7 continents?
That or it is only held in the United States.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3157209)   #2242
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That or it is only held in the United States.
Unfortunately true!
Old 24 Oct 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3157211)   #2243
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Instead there are rounds in Bahrain and China, but then it wouldn't be really be the World Endurance Championship, if most of the races were held in Europe.
But most of the compeitors are European. Should they make way for Asians and South Americans too? Fair's fair.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3157218)   #2244
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Deggis, I'm not sure what your point is with that second sentence. Yes, I was already well aware of when Monza and the Nurburgring departed the LMS calendar. A big part of that was the LMS considering it too expensive to continue running at those F1 circuits without the manufacturer backing they had in previous seasons.

To be historically accurate, at least in baseball, the World Series was named that because of the name of the newspaper that was the original sponsor of the series.

Frankly, I think the minimum for "World Championship" status should be raised to five continents.

Last edited by Purist; 24 Oct 2012 at 21:51.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3157242)   #2245
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
It wasn't a direct reply to you, but Monza and Germany (=Nurburging) has been just named so many times recently. As far as I've understood they weren't the most successful rounds?
Old 24 Oct 2012, 23:16 (Ref:3157249)   #2246
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
But most of the compeitors are European. Should they make way for Asians and South Americans too? Fair's fair.
I was being sarcastic, hence the .
Old 25 Oct 2012, 04:55 (Ref:3157303)   #2247
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I subscribed to RCE this month (iPad) and bought the July issue, and reading about the 908 makes me quite sad Peugeot pulled the plug. With as strong as Toyota has been it would have been great to have the third works lmp1 on the grid.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 05:25 (Ref:3157308)   #2248
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It would be great to see if Puegeot would have been faster than the Audis in the way the Toyota has been. But with it's diesel fuel if the economy would be just as good. They showed that Audi are beatable, for a whole year actually, shame they didn't compete this year.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 06:03 (Ref:3157315)   #2249
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starworks and Potolicchio separating:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...rks-part-ways/

- Potolicchio forming independent team for 2013.
- Plans for 2x WEC P2 (ARX03b) entries, 2x GA DP entries.
- Champion racing facility purchased for team's base of operations.

As an aside:
- Starworks planning to continue WEC (P2) effort, independently.
- Dalziel's elected to side with Starworks.

That's some pretty significant news.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 25 Oct 2012 at 06:09.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 06:08 (Ref:3157316)   #2250
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
A pity that Potolicchio and Baron seperate, but this means 3 competitive HPD LMP2 cars in WEC 2013.