Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 28 Oct 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3159006)   #2301
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It should also be noted that McNish/Kristensen finished on the podium in every race yet placed second in points because they had less wins than Lotterer/Treluyer/Fassler.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3159009)   #2302
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Number 12 ....

17th at Sebring .
5th at Spa .
4th at Le mans .
6th at Silverstone .
4th at Sao Paulo .
4th at Bahrain .
4th at Fuji .
DNF at Shanghai .

1st:25 points

2nd:18 points

3rd:15 points

4th:12 points

5th:10 points

6th:8 points

7th:6 points

8th:4 points

9th:2 points

10th:1 point

And beyond:0.5 point

Perhaps a 7 point differance between 1st & 2nd is a bit much .
Old 28 Oct 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3159114)   #2303
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
BJS, I think China will tolerate foreign brands that are seen as status symbols (like Buick). For much of the rest, however, I expect them to keep those around only for long enough to pick up the knowledge and skills from those companies. Once the Chinese can do it for themselves, the foreign companies will be shown the door.

Wooshy, I think the Norisring is going to be considered too small for a WEC event. Also, I don't know how the DTM would take having the series on the bill for that weekend. I'm not terribly keen on Lausitzring (though Nurburgring and Hockenheim don't have the appeal they once had either). The one way I might care to see that track in WEC is if they used the Car Grand Prix Circuit, but used Oval Turn 1, instead of that first infield section. I'd actually be kind of curious to see how the Sachsenring would handle a multi-class sportscar race, though I think that it would probably be too short for a full-blown, 6-hour race.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3159124)   #2304
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As long as F1 continue to push their way out into new territories it sets the precedent for everyone else. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for the WEC.

That said, with Bernie Ecclestone admitting this weekend that the number of European rounds will be cut further in the future, the WEC could generate a fair bit of goodwill among drivers, teams and fans by running at a place like Monza if it did get scrubbed off the F1 calendar.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3159127)   #2305
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did think the Sachsenring myself, but like you (Purist) said would there be too many complications ? Only reason I think of the Norrisring while DTM is on is you have the crowd already there (so good exposure etc). Also Norrisring was originally a sports car event (and to combat the shortness of the lap extend the run to the hairpin like this or something or use the old figure of 8 but that then presents other problems)..... I agree about the first section at Lausitzring .... Turn 1 might make things better ... Or use the Endurance circuit (going outside the oval onto the "test oval" where Michele Alboreto died, But this leads to other complications about using only 1 banked corner for road courses etc). Like you said Nurburgring & Hockenhiem have lost there appeal. I only think they are no goes because Nurburgring is only 70 miles (100 kilometres or so) from Spa, and with the way the ACO is doing logistics you know it would be put right next to Spa (on the calender), and as a punter you have to ask yourself, where would you spend your cash to see the greatest cars in the world race ? (I know i would be going to Spa every-time) Although I think Hockenhiem if it teamed up with DTM as the season opener might not be a bad idea, although the circuit is too clinical for my liking.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3159157)   #2306
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Man , I wish they hadnt changed the old Hockenheim !!!
Old 28 Oct 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3159215)   #2307
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Man , I wish they hadnt changed the old Hockenheim !!!
That is something you probably won't find any motorsport fan who would disagree with!
Old 28 Oct 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3159244)   #2308
The Badger
Veteran

Why the hell did they do that anyway ?
Old 28 Oct 2012, 23:07 (Ref:3159248)   #2309
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Why the hell did they do that anyway ?
F1.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3159253)   #2310
The Badger
Veteran

What happened to Jimmy Clarks grave ?
Old 29 Oct 2012, 01:12 (Ref:3159293)   #2311
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nothing as he was buried back home in Scotland (Berwickshire). The memorial was moved closer to the track after the rebuild but apparently the crash site itself, while being in the woods now, is easily accessible and visited by fans.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 06:48 (Ref:3159353)   #2312
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting discussion on the Autosport forum re F1 potentially abandoning more European venues in future, the proliferation of identical sanitized circuits, plus other grumbles:

http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...c=176370&st=80

There is a chance here for the WEC/Sportscar racing to fill a vacuum left by a lot of peoples dissatisfaction with F1. A few races in Europe for actual motorsport fans would be a decent start.

You know it won't happen though the ACO/FIA combo are just as likely to be blinded be eastern mega money as Bernard Ecclescake, and the manufacturers, particularly Audi, seem intent on turning the WEC into a sort of F1-lite/F1onthecheap and are all too pleased to trudge round these horrible expanses of tar in the smog in front of local party officials. The dull predictability of it all is depressing.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 07:19 (Ref:3159358)   #2313
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
Interesting discussion on the Autosport forum re F1 potentially abandoning more European venues in future, the proliferation of identical sanitized circuits, plus other grumbles:

http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...c=176370&st=80

There is a chance here for the WEC/Sportscar racing to fill a vacuum left by a lot of peoples dissatisfaction with F1. A few races in Europe for actual motorsport fans would be a decent start.

You know it won't happen though the ACO/FIA combo are just as likely to be blinded be eastern mega money as Bernard Ecclescake, and the manufacturers, particularly Audi, seem intent on turning the WEC into a sort of F1-lite/F1onthecheap and are all too pleased to trudge round these horrible expanses of tar in the smog in front of local party officials. The dull predictability of it all is depressing.
Agreed on the last part! Sadly, racing in Europe would die in a slow and painful death. And it might spread across the Asia-Pacific and America.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3159374)   #2314
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Autosport web was reporting the French GP could be back as early as next year. Though at Paul Ricard.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 08:49 (Ref:3159394)   #2315
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Autosport web was reporting the French GP could be back as early as next year. Though at Paul Ricard.
Danish F1 Commentators said that Bernie had said: "Give me a pen, and i'll sign that the French GP is back"
Old 29 Oct 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3159474)   #2316
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Ha , I wasnt even aware there wasnt a Gp in France , since how long is that ?
Old 29 Oct 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3159479)   #2317
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ha , I wasnt even aware there wasnt a Gp in France , since how long is that ?
Last French GP to date was in 2008.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3159480)   #2318
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Trickyd, that forum is LAUGHABLE.
Folks who think following F1 since Schumi started is LONG time support???
Sheesh. Ayse has been going to Le Mans longer than Schumi's been driving.
I don't WANT F1 cast off fans, thanks. I want Endurance Racing fans. Those good people lack the attention span to GET a 6 hour race, never mind a 24 hour one... Let them go to Drag Racing.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3159487)   #2319
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Folks who think following F1 sinc Those good people lack the attention span to GET a 6 hour race, never mind a 24 hour one... Let them go to Drag Racing.
This sort of fractious infighting within the racing/automotive enthusiast community is just what is required for increasing interest in cars/racing in the general public.

Bravo! Damn all the series and the fans of the series that I do not support!

Blehhh!
Old 29 Oct 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3159522)   #2320
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't WANT F1 cast off fans, thanks. I want Endurance Racing fans. Those good people lack the attention span to GET a 6 hour race, never mind a 24 hour one... Let them go to Drag Racing.
I was merely using the forum as a means of displaying that there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the way Formula 1/motorsport in general is heading/has headed. Whether these people are 12 or 82 is fairly irrelavant.

The WEC could use alternative circuits to F1, maybe in more attractive or less Tilked locations, and could fill the gap in Europe, left by the loss of events there. Or could at least just market itself in a way that people might notice.

PS, as a complete aside, does anyone know if when Red Bull bought the A1-ring they carried out the improvements they suggested, using some of the old Osterreichring layout, or if it is still just the rather point and squirt A1-ring?
Old 29 Oct 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3159548)   #2321
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Ultimo? I followed EVERYTHING in sight, from about 1965 through to 1995. Then F1 disppeared up it's own fundament, and I stuck with sportscars and rallying.
Now rallying is dying, and I have sportscars and GT left.
The thing is, most F1 fans these days wouldn't know what to do with themselves for 6 hours. Some don't seem to know that you can WALK around a track?
I like sportscars. I like people who go to sportscars. We can discuss a 2 lap lead with an hour to go, as exciting, because it can be. They can discuss 4 different classes in one race without having fits...

No, I don't like F1 today, and those who have recently turned up to 'support' it.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 15:23 (Ref:3159583)   #2322
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Red Bull simply refurbished and reopened the A1 Ring.

Unfortunately, it would be nigh impossible to reinstate any parts of the Osterreichring that would really matter (i.e. the corners), as the old corners had basically no run-off, with little if any provision to add it with the corners located where they were, and with most of the corners having some noticeable amount of camber to them.

I certainly think there is a decent pool of people who follow F1 who would be receptive to sportscar racing. The ACO hasn't exactly done the best job of promoting their racing outside of the marqee event, to try and capture this audience.

And yes, I watch F1, but I have also watched V8 Supercars, Super GT, TC2000, StockCar Brasil, F3 at Macau, MotoGP and WSBK, and a number of other series. It would be nice if rallying was actually broadcast over here in any kind of official capacity.

Last edited by Purist; 29 Oct 2012 at 15:31.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3159599)   #2323
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
PS, as a complete aside, does anyone know if when Red Bull bought the A1-ring they carried out the improvements they suggested, using some of the old Osterreichring layout, or if it is still just the rather point and squirt A1-ring?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bul...#Redevelopment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ-czd4BSrI
Old 29 Oct 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3159671)   #2324
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Tim, isn't the term "Long time support" relevant?
I personally think i've followed Le Mans for a long time, (since 1999-2000'ish), but as I'm only 22, that's over half of my life time i've spend on Le Mans.

If the persons on the forum all are under 30, then following a sport since 1992, is a long time.
Not all can keep up with you old geezers
Old 29 Oct 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3159695)   #2325
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
If the persons on the forum all are under 30, then following a sport since 1992, is a long time.
Not all can keep up with you old geezers
We will get the chance to lay the smack down on the younger generation in years to come Mathias