Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jan 2024, 17:31 (Ref:4192210)   #2426
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
No worry about the Wimille car, Viv. I wonder how Bob found a pic because it is said that only three were ever made. The one I test-drived belongs to the Rochetaillée museum and nobody can say for sur whether its the #2 or #3! Bob's picture, I guess, is from Reims museum.
Old 17 Jan 2024, 18:54 (Ref:4192220)   #2427
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
No worry about the Wimille car, Viv. I wonder how Bob found a pic because it is said that only three were ever made. The one I test-drived belongs to the Rochetaillée museum and nobody can say for sur whether its the #2 or #3! Bob's picture, I guess, is from Reims museum.
Great article and pics here: https://viaretro.com/2019/02/wimille...unted-engines/
Old 17 Jan 2024, 19:17 (Ref:4192223)   #2428
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the Jaguar questions are talking about the Jaguar history, the C type history or Ecurie Ecosse history?
Old 17 Jan 2024, 19:18 (Ref:4192224)   #2429
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks, well done (was my Dad's pal, because of Amédée…).
Old 17 Jan 2024, 20:15 (Ref:4192226)   #2430
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
With the Jaguar questions are talking about the Jaguar history, the C type history or Ecurie Ecosse history?
Come on RBS, why do you think I chose that picture?
Old 17 Jan 2024, 20:52 (Ref:4192230)   #2431
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that I've possibly misunderstood the question and as a consequence have already blotted my copybook so I'm staying out of it, were any of my answers correct Mr Baub?
Old 17 Jan 2024, 21:28 (Ref:4192232)   #2432
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Someone found the link with Monza? (Easy for David Murray and Wilkie Wilkinson).

Bob, if you're looking for June '57 Monzanapolis are you sure it was C Types?
Old 17 Jan 2024, 21:46 (Ref:4192234)   #2433
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I think that I've possibly misunderstood the question and as a consequence have already blotted my copybook so I'm staying out of it, were any of my answers correct Mr Baub?
I should point out what I thought was obvious (It was to Peter) the picture is of a C-Type Jaguar painted in the colours of a Scottish racing team, indeed the name is emblazoned on the car itself. I intended to make people aware of the importance the team had in its day. While asking for the original drivers, few will have heard of them, you might find some very famous names have ben associated with he team over its history. All part of my drive to improve your knowledge of motor sport history.

To your point JR. You scored heavily, but in the wrong lane. I accept I could have made things clearer, but you know me
Old 17 Jan 2024, 22:15 (Ref:4192235)   #2434
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I should point out what I thought was obvious (It was to Peter) the picture is of a C-Type Jaguar painted in the colours of a Scottish racing team, indeed the name is emblazoned on the car itself. I intended to make people aware of the importance the team had in its day. While asking for the original drivers, few will have heard of them, you might find some very famous names have ben associated with he team over its history. All part of my drive to improve your knowledge of motor sport history.

To your point JR. You scored heavily, but in the wrong lane. I accept I could have made things clearer, but you know me
Understood now, it's a useful excercise in attempting to explore the quizmaster's inner cranium as well as the historical facts pertaining to cars and drivers. Must try harder with the caveat that there's more to this than first meets the eye.
Old 17 Jan 2024, 22:24 (Ref:4192236)   #2435
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's all sorts of stuff about this team. A future WDC was given a test at Goodwood(?) When he sat in for his elder brother who was one of the earlier drivers.
Old 18 Jan 2024, 00:31 (Ref:4192240)   #2436
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
There's all sorts of stuff about this team. A future WDC was given a test at Goodwood(?) When he sat in for his elder brother who was one of the earlier drivers.
Maybe two, Peter, I will have to check.
Have you found the Baronet yet?
Old 18 Jan 2024, 08:46 (Ref:4192257)   #2437
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Maybe two, Peter, I will have to check.
Have you found the Baronet yet?
That is an interesting story. He certainly enjoyed his life. He bought his own C Type and raced under the banner of Ecurie Ecosse. I'm not that clever, I googled it.
Old 18 Jan 2024, 09:06 (Ref:4192258)   #2438
bauble
Veteran

England
I only remembered the name from reports of the Jersey Road Races at the time. Ian Stewart won in 1952 in the Ecosse C-Type. Google supplied details.

So far the only one to have grasped the context of the photo.

Bob.
Old 18 Jan 2024, 16:15 (Ref:4192323)   #2439
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I only remembered the name from reports of the Jersey Road Races at the time. Ian Stewart won in 1952 in the Ecosse C-Type. Google supplied details.

So far the only one to have grasped the context of the photo.

Bob.
Well done to Bauble for getting this thread going again .

But a little story about C Types which is not known by many .
Moss wanted a higher speed for Le Mans in 1952 [ I Think ] . So a new "Low Drag " body was designed and built . Tested and run on UK tracks , but when it got to Le Mans all of the cars retired with what was claimed to be overheating problems .
What really happened was that they had built a "Wing " car , which was upside down and was trying to take off and became undriveable on Mulsanne .
An expensive piece of testing , and to not give others the information they had learned , it was claimed to be overheating problems .
The cars came back to England and were all destroyed , and the original C Types were put back into use for next time .
Old 18 Jan 2024, 16:56 (Ref:4192329)   #2440
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Low Drag C type at Goodwood in 2011

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Jaguar C type      Lowdrag.JPG  
Old 18 Jan 2024, 17:22 (Ref:4192334)   #2441
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Low Drag C type at Goodwood in 2011

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Thanks for that picture .
You can see how the long low tail section turns the shape into an aircraft wing the wrong way up .Instead of the turned up tail on cars afterwards .
Probably only at the high speeds on Mulsanne did it actually start to lift off the ground
Fairly sure they destroyed all of the original cars , but did hear that later a few were reproduced because they were then so rare .
Old 18 Jan 2024, 19:14 (Ref:4192359)   #2442
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Thanks for that picture .
You can see how the long low tail section turns the shape into an aircraft wing the wrong way up .Instead of the turned up tail on cars afterwards .
Probably only at the high speeds on Mulsanne did it actually start to lift off the ground
Fairly sure they destroyed all of the original cars , but did hear that later a few were reproduced because they were then so rare .
Thanks for the information, first time I've heard that
Old 18 Jan 2024, 20:07 (Ref:4192368)   #2443
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Thanks for the information, first time I've heard that
When you learn a very expensive lesson , as Jaguar did with that body shape , you don,t want to pass it on to your competitors .
So they told a story of overheating problems , or air not going through radiator , or something like that .
As I understood it , they scrapped all of that design bodies after Le Mans . Which I don,t think would happen if it was just a cooling problem , but a realisaton that the shape was wrong for high speed .
Old 18 Jan 2024, 20:19 (Ref:4192370)   #2444
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
When you learn a very expensive lesson , as Jaguar did with that body shape , you don,t want to pass it on to your competitors .
So they told a story of overheating problems , or air not going through radiator , or something like that .
As I understood it , they scrapped all of that design bodies after Le Mans . Which I don,t think would happen if it was just a cooling problem , but a realisaton that the shape was wrong for high speed .
I seem to recall that it was rumoured at the time, but never confirmed.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 00:05 (Ref:4192396)   #2445
bauble
Veteran

England
Something simple to tackle;
Six constructors, who is missing and why should they be there?
Nothing devious or tricky, just a little initiative.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5503.JPG   IMG_6575.JPG   IMG_4814.JPG  

IMG_5511.JPG   IMG_4820.JPG   IMG_5504.JPG  

Old 20 Jan 2024, 00:23 (Ref:4192530)   #2446
bauble
Veteran

England
I am amazed at the number of views this thread gets on a daily basis, yet we get so few replies, so, here is an entry level teaser hopefully to tempt more participation. Usual rules apply answers by PM only so as not to spoil it for fellow novices, all answers will be acknowledge here, so credit will be given.

Come on you can only make a fool of yourself, and I have done that many times. Good luck.
Who is the odd-one-out, and why?
Attached Thumbnails
Brit GP 007.JPG   Felipe Massa.JPG   IMG_0129.JPG  

IMG_6630.JPG   IMG_3401.jpg   Jenson Button.JPG  

Old 20 Jan 2024, 11:26 (Ref:4192560)   #2447
bauble
Veteran

England
I must seriously consider my position here! 'Entry Level' I said! Ha Ha Ha.
Two entries a complete novice tempted out, and one of our most prolific responders with a long history of success. Both with correct answers that are wide of the mark, both guilty of over thinking the problem, so! Let's try again.

This is from the 'Mother and Toddler Class'

No pictures to confuse, just six names to sort out, see if you can match four year old Albert from the Pottonsville M&T Group, who had it right first time.

1 Max Verstappen.
2 Louis Hamilton.
3 Fernando Alonso.
4 Sebastien Vettel
5 Jenson Button.
6 Logan Sargeant.

Who has never been World Formula 1 Champion?

Frist 'right' answer will be awarded the very first 'Golden Bauble',

Best of luck.
Old 20 Jan 2024, 13:58 (Ref:4192572)   #2448
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem here, as I see it, is that you keep setting questions that possibly have more than just one correct answer; in fact there could well be multiple correct responses, but not just the one that you fiendishly set!

So what are we mere mortals supposed to do but not answer at all.
Old 20 Jan 2024, 15:05 (Ref:4192575)   #2449
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The problem here, as I see it, is that you keep setting questions that possibly have more than just one correct answer; in fact there could well be multiple correct responses, but not just the one that you fiendishly set!

So what are we mere mortals supposed to do but not answer at all.

A dilemma, indeed Mike, but pity the poor quiz master, who after hours of painstaking research, finds some Smarty Pants has come up with a perfectly correct answer, that is far better than the one he had in mind!
Usually the 'right' answer is intended to be the one that is most distinctive, or unusual. How ever it is far better to advance a sensible reply, that even if not 'right' at least demonstrates intelligence and logic than to weakly give up like a right ****** surely?.

I do admire you fighting spirit.

I see my epithet has been censored, I apologise for choosing an unsuitable description for a loser.

Last edited by bauble; 20 Jan 2024 at 15:26. Reason: Apology
Old 20 Jan 2024, 15:21 (Ref:4192578)   #2450
bauble
Veteran

England
Congratulations to St Eval who has been awarded the first Name:  download.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  10.3 KB for correctly identifying the odd on out in both the last two puzzles.
Well done St.