Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Aug 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2943041)   #2451
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't drop GTC overnight as you have to respect teams investment, 2013 would be ideal as you could also merge LMPC into P2.

As for GT3's, allow the Mercedes and Audi to run as GTE invitation entries alongside cars of interest like the 911 Hybrid, see if anyone turns up before throwing a successful GT rulebook out the window.

Last edited by JAG; 19 Aug 2011 at 17:55.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2943052)   #2452
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
As for GT3's, allow the Mercedes and Audi to run as GTE invitation entries alongside cars of interest like the 911 Hybrid, see if anyone turns up before throwing a successful GT rulebook out the window.
We're not that desperate yet, hopefully... and its easier for Audi and Merc to stay in those series where it doesn't matter whether your base car sucks or not, they can stop developing those cars any time they want and still be highly competitive in five years because of bop. Average joe can't tell the difference between GT2 and GT3 anyways

On my behalf Porkie hybrid can return for sure, but only as an unclassified entry. Or if GTH becomes a real class which I doubt

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Aug 2011 at 18:17.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2943061)   #2453
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Regarding GT, not quite desperate, but then I would hope they are making plans on how to replace what will likely be (at least) one of the four top teams leaving the series for each of the next two years. Not a huge car count hit, but a large quality hit.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2943078)   #2454
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the article about United Autosports LMP2 plans for Petit, it mentions that there will be 5 LMP2's there: The UA entry, 2 Level 5's and then the ILMC entries from Signatech and Oak. It would be nice if somebody would run Level 5's current/old Lola, or maybe somebody else will make the trek across the atlantic.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2943086)   #2455
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
We're not that desperate yet, hopefully... and its easier for Audi and Merc to stay in those series where it doesn't matter whether your base car sucks or not, they can stop developing those cars any time they want and still be highly competitive in five years because of bop. Average joe can't tell the difference between GT2 and GT3 anyways

On my behalf Porkie hybrid can return for sure, but only as an unclassified entry. Or if GTH becomes a real class which I doubt
I wouldn't want to see GT3, but just as the 911 Hybrid, Panoz, Comp Viper, DBRS9 etc. have been accomodated, so could the Audi and Merc.

Put it out there, see if there is interest and get on with the priority of increasing the prototype field. Whatever's decided the series should have already made a clear statement about 2012 like the LMS.

Last edited by JAG; 19 Aug 2011 at 19:53.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2943087)   #2456
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
In the article about United Autosports LMP2 plans for Petit, it mentions that there will be 5 LMP2's there: The UA entry, 2 Level 5's and then the ILMC entries from Signatech and Oak. It would be nice if somebody would run Level 5's current/old Lola, or maybe somebody else will make the trek across the atlantic.
They might be able to find a buyer for the coupe especially if it can be converted into B12/80 cost-capped specification. I'm not so sure about the open-top car. They can probably sell it, but maybe the discount will have to be a bit higher for that one. Having said that, Scott Tucker is only 4 seconds off of Chris Dyson's time right now during the current session. Bouchut or Diaz could probably knock some time off of that. That's not too bad for an LMP2 HPD powered car on a high speed track.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2943152)   #2457
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Did the John Pauls' elicit activities help fund their racing as well?
I believe at one point that was where all the income came from, but I may be incorrect. I read an article many, many years ago. I know their shop was prepping for some other people at various times, but I don't know if there was other income that set the whole thing up.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2943165)   #2458
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I believe at one point that was where all the income came from, but I may be incorrect. I read an article many, many years ago. I know their shop was prepping for some other people at various times, but I don't know if there was other income that set the whole thing up.
They had some sponsorship from Miller Beer in the early 80s, but that's all I can recall seeing that was legit as far as my research goes. I really would like to do an interview with John Paul Jr, but the last thing I saw on him (about his disease, on youtube) was really, really depressing and I wasn't sure if he'd be up to it, or if I would be either.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2943166)   #2459
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...08/1/index.htm

Here is an article I just found, from Sam Moses at SI. I had read another article, I believe in Orlando Sentinel, during that time period, but can not find it. As I recall there were financial issues that lead to the smuggling, maybe overleveraged in bad market?

I don't know what to say about Paul, Jr., other then that he was a huge talent and a sensation. A real shame how things turned out for him, but I am not sure he would have gotten where he was without the 'money.' The same could be said about the others of that era. Honestly, there is probably a movie in the Paul's story.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2943183)   #2460
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the Pauls and Whittingtons get the most attention because of their successful driving careers, Randy Lanier was in deep as well. Real deep.

EDIT: Oh, and another 1980s IMSA owner who is a convicted criminal: Rick Hendrick. His case may have been the coup d'état of swindling depending on how you want to look at it.

And then you have Greg Loles. He makes Jon Field look like a saint even if all of the allegations against him, including the past allegations, are true.

Scott Tucker is basically is a legal loanshark. Charles Morgan/Acxiom is fully legal, but it is a kind of creepy company. Preston Henn has supposedly gone off the deep end in recent years, although I guess others could have said that years ago.

So, yeah, it's a bit surprising that Bernie Madoff, Ken Lay, and Pablo Escobar never came ready to race at Sebring or something with a superteam. It's too bad that not everyone makes their racing money in socially positive ways...like Paul Gentilozzi and the King of Toilets...haha.

Last edited by AGD; 20 Aug 2011 at 00:13.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 01:45 (Ref:2943203)   #2461
lemansnsx
Rookie

lemansnsx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
If they have done something wrong, that just really shows their dedication to racing. Breaking the law to fund racing - that has been a personal dream of mine too!
Back in the 80s I knew someone who funded racing school and some events by robbing banks. His girlfriend drove the getaway car. No, I'm not kidding.

Of course let's not forget the big time crooks like John Paul Sr., The Whittington brothers, Greg Loles and the numerous teams and drivers who were reputed to be operating on funds generated from the sale of cocaine.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2943328)   #2462
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
They had some sponsorship from Miller Beer in the early 80s
The Miller sponsorship they had was from the Atlanta distributor, Better Brands and not Miller corporate. Also, for one IMSA race at Road Atlanta, Bobby Allison also landed his plane on the back straight. I think he was driving in the Kelly Series.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2943362)   #2463
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansnsx View Post
Back in the 80s I knew someone who funded racing school and some events by robbing banks. His girlfriend drove the getaway car. No, I'm not kidding.

Of course let's not forget the big time crooks like John Paul Sr., The Whittington brothers, Greg Loles and the numerous teams and drivers who were reputed to be operating on funds generated from the sale of cocaine.
Paul Jr , Ronny Meixner & Tom Walkinshaw & Vic Lee , you may add to that list too , reputedly ..... and dont ask about Kolin Kölles either !!!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:17 (Ref:2943978)   #2464
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
International Marijuana Smugglers Association
Old 23 Aug 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2944675)   #2465
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
I hear these guys can provide some relevant connections:
http://www.motogp.com/
Old 23 Aug 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2944794)   #2466
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
According to a Dagys tweet, Romain Dumas will be in for Luhr at Baltimore.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2944848)   #2467
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
According to a Dagys tweet, Romain Dumas will be in for Luhr at Baltimore.
Confirmation of this on Endurance Info. Good news, and while I'd been pondering the "returning Frenchman" news for a while Dumas hadn't sprung to mind.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2944861)   #2468
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
I know we shot far off topic on this, and it is probably better to go in Nostalgia Forum. I will stay a bit off topic--there was a Columbian in IMSA, long time Porsche runner, seemed to have great budget, won Sebring 84 overall, was in carnation business as I recall. He suddenly was no longer around, I don't recall the year for that. In all the of the news of that period, I never heard his name mentioned in relation to any illicit activity. Was that the case, or did I just not hear about anything? I have searched to no avail.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 01:57 (Ref:2944897)   #2469
AGD
Veteran

Dagys is pointing out that the two Robertson Fords are not on the Baltimore entry list at the moment. I'm not sure what to make of that. I'm sure we'll find out more in the next few days.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 02:41 (Ref:2944902)   #2470
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
I know we shot far off topic on this, and it is probably better to go in Nostalgia Forum. I will stay a bit off topic--there was a Columbian in IMSA, long time Porsche runner, seemed to have great budget, won Sebring 84 overall, was in carnation business as I recall. He suddenly was no longer around, I don't recall the year for that. In all the of the news of that period, I never heard his name mentioned in relation to any illicit activity. Was that the case, or did I just not hear about anything? I have searched to no avail.
De Narvaez? I haven't found out much, and have also done some looking in that direction.

On topic: anyone else going to the baltimore race?
Old 24 Aug 2011, 03:11 (Ref:2944905)   #2471
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
De.......?
Yep, I was really hesitant to use the name as I never heard anything and my question was based on circumstances and associations; very, very loose in both cases.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 07:01 (Ref:2944948)   #2472
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
De Narvaez? I haven't found out much, and have also done some looking in that direction.

On topic: anyone else going to the baltimore race?
I'll be there!

I'm pretty excited, it'll be my first street course AND first open-wheel event (5th ALMS). Apparently the paddock is indoors?
Old 24 Aug 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2945166)   #2473
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Yep, I was really hesitant to use the name as I never heard anything and my question was based on circumstances and associations; very, very loose in both cases.

Yeah I've never seen anything directly putting him in touch with anything illegal, could just be the timing, as that period is also when IMSA went from pro / am to nearly full pro (that is what the book I am writing is about) - if you google him there is still a business in his name in FL. he also wasn't the youngest when he started, so could just be the age thing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
I'll be there!

I'm pretty excited, it'll be my first street course AND first open-wheel event (5th ALMS). Apparently the paddock is indoors?
Nice! It'll be my first time to see a race at a proper street course as well, since I missed the DC race back in the day. I'm really curious to see how the sight lines compare to a permanent road course like Watkins, Lime Rock, etc.

The Indy car paddock is inside the Baltimore convention center, but the ALMS paddock is down in one of the stadium parking lots on the south side of the course.

Last edited by WolfsburgRS; 24 Aug 2011 at 14:47.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2945966)   #2474
AGD
Veteran

It looks like IMSA is giving the Porsches a 15 kg weight break.

http://www.imsaracing.net/2011/ALMS/...MS%2011-26.pdf
Old 25 Aug 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2946012)   #2475
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Oreca has announced that they're taking part in PLM, so that's good to hear.