Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 May 2003, 15:18 (Ref:605986)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dumfries will NOT contest Le Mans!

According to this article http://www.crash.net/news_detail.asp...&language_id=1 he has decided to pull out because he is not able to give as much commitment as he would like to be able to do so. Feeling that he has too many obligations at the moment to give his best effort if he contested the race.

That really is a shame. Now the question is who will replace him?
Old 21 May 2003, 15:41 (Ref:606011)   #2
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Dumfries will NOT contest Le Mans!

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R

That really is a shame.
Indeed it is.

FG
Old 21 May 2003, 16:01 (Ref:606033)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
A pity; always good to see a Marquess at Le Mans...

It's very late notice for a decent replacement, though. Will it be a Danish driver, do you suppose (Thyrring? Thiim? Watt?)? Or a Japanese (Kato?)?
Old 21 May 2003, 16:09 (Ref:606038)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about another Japaneese driver? Maybe Satoshi Motoyama? Hes racing in Jap GT and is a 2 time Nippon champion and looks set for another title. Not sure how good hes doing in Jap GT though.
Old 21 May 2003, 16:15 (Ref:606050)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Actually was just thinking. Jean Marc Gunon, Pedro Lamy, and Bobby Ver Done roe, Matteo Bobbi, Biaggi, Piccini, Deltraz, Frank Montangy, None of these guys have a ride at Le Mans. It is a setback for DBA, but how big of a set back Im not so sure. Dumfries is a great driver, but how long is it since he has competed in GT's at International level?
Old 21 May 2003, 16:33 (Ref:606066)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this news is confirmed, then it is a great shame. From what I understand Johnny was going to make his mine up after the test day, weather to drive or not. We shall see what happens.
Old 21 May 2003, 16:45 (Ref:606075)   #7
chris24
Rookie

chris24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about James Weaver. I can't believe that nobody has picked him up for a drive at Le Mans after Dyson pulled out.
Old 21 May 2003, 18:49 (Ref:606169)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Damn shame. Would have been great to see all three winners from 1988 back at Le Mans again.
Old 21 May 2003, 18:50 (Ref:606170)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Deletraz is driving the Lister prototype (I know, I know...). Weaver would be a good choice.

I'd prefer Jason Watt, but I suppose difficulties in setting the car up for hand controls would stymie that one.
Old 21 May 2003, 18:52 (Ref:606172)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan

I'd prefer Jason Watt, but I suppose difficulties in setting the car up for hand controls would stymie that one.

It would be excellent, in many respects, particularly in terms of PR for the ACO, I suspect, but I doubt it will happen.
Old 21 May 2003, 18:54 (Ref:606175)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I was just thinking, Jan Magnussen dosent have a drive for this year either, does he?
Old 21 May 2003, 18:58 (Ref:606179)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I was just thinking, Jan Magnussen dosent have a drive for this year either, does he?
He is driving the Team Goh Audi R8
Old 21 May 2003, 18:59 (Ref:606180)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think Magnussen is pedalling Kazumichi Goh's Audi.
Old 21 May 2003, 19:03 (Ref:606189)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Ah yes so he is. Hes keeping his head down at the moment isnt he. If anyone dosent or is intrested for that matter though offical entry list is here. http://www.lemans.org/2003/24auto/pa...gages_gb.shtml As I say most of us probably know this, but for those of u who dont u might find it useful.
Old 21 May 2003, 19:13 (Ref:606198)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Weaver would be a good choice.
James isn't on the list!

http://www.lemans.org/sport/pdf/2003...VERS_FR_GB.pdf

Hard to believe that running the race 14 times isn't enough...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 May 2003, 07:10 (Ref:606512)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Ah yes so he is. Hes keeping his head down at the moment isnt he. If anyone dosent or is intrested for that matter though offical entry list is here. http://www.lemans.org/2003/24auto/pa...gages_gb.shtml As I say most of us probably know this, but for those of u who dont u might find it useful.

It's been "somewhere else" for ages..........
Old 22 May 2003, 07:11 (Ref:606513)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
James isn't on the list!

http://www.lemans.org/sport/pdf/2003...VERS_FR_GB.pdf

Hard to believe that running the race 14 times isn't enough...

Question is, does he want to be?
Old 22 May 2003, 11:37 (Ref:606703)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
It's been "somewhere else" for ages..........
Oh I know that its been somewhere else for ages, I take it ur reffering to this? http://www.crash.net/news_detail.asp...&language_id=1 Its also been at lemans.org for ages - ever since the list was announced.
Old 22 May 2003, 11:58 (Ref:606724)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Oh I know that its been somewhere else for ages, I take it ur reffering to this? http://www.crash.net/news_detail.asp...&language_id=1 Its also been at lemans.org for ages - ever since the list was announced.
I'm most certainly not!!!!

Forum rules prohibit me from putting up the link, but I've had the full list on my site since the day it was announced by the ACO.

So has rd.

So has Maison Blanche

(just to be fair!).
Old 22 May 2003, 12:46 (Ref:606793)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Question is, does he (James Weaver) want to be?
Not unless the car has a serious chance of winning. He's had two chances to look at the DBA, so I don't know how he'd feel about it, but I got the feeling that overall was really all he was interested in these days.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 May 2003, 19:28 (Ref:608224)   #21
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think we will see Jason Watt in the DBA. First, i think it would be too late to change the car to the configurations he need. Furthermore, he is soo fast that he will make John look bad...

Thyrring is not an option. He has shown absolutely nothing the last couple of year, and withdrew from John's team in 2001, because of "personal problems" (most likely because he was too slow).

I think the most likely replacement, is John's teammate in DTC, Casper Elgaard. Casper drove the DBA Dome in 2001, and did a very good job in those very difficult conditions, espacially for a rookie.
If indeed Dumfries won't participate, i think Elgaard is the most likely to take the 3rd spot, if it will be a dane.
Old 23 May 2003, 19:40 (Ref:608237)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
From what is say's on DSC - the replacement driver will be reaveled on the 7th June - when the team is launched in Denmark. It look like they are talking to 3 or 4 drivers........
Old 25 May 2003, 21:00 (Ref:609885)   #23
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Does Elgaard have much LM experience? I can't remember if he raced with Big John in the Den Bla Avis Panoz... I think it probably will be Elgaard, but I'd rather see RN pick someone more solid. That car has so much potential.
Old 26 May 2003, 07:54 (Ref:610169)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Elgaard has only made the one start, in 2001 with Nielsen and Kato in the Den Bla Avis/Team Goh Dome. As far as I recall he did oK, but, to be honest, looking at his pedigree, it's pretty limited, no major victories or championships to shout about.
Old 26 May 2003, 17:27 (Ref:610650)   #25
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Elgaard has only made the one start, in 2001 with Nielsen and Kato in the Den Bla Avis/Team Goh Dome. As far as I recall he did oK, but, to be honest, looking at his pedigree, it's pretty limited, no major victories or championships to shout about.

He did very good in the Dome. The 2001 was not the easiest to debut in.

Maybe he doesn't have big wins yet, but he is a dominant driver in DTC. Faster than his teammate John Nielsen, and the biggest challenger to Jan Magnussen's Peugeot.