Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Jun 2020, 17:48 (Ref:3984787)   #651
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Very short in details, but a "limited number of local fans" will be allowed to attend the upcoming Sebring race:
https://www.imsa.com/news/2020/06/26...ix-of-sebring/
Old 30 Jun 2020, 20:17 (Ref:3984809)   #652
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Very short in details, but a "limited number of local fans" will be allowed to attend the upcoming Sebring race:
https://www.imsa.com/news/2020/06/26...ix-of-sebring/
Sebring in Mid July; gonna be warm! I've gotten a little heat exhaustion there in March...

Quote:
said Wayne Estes, president and general manager of the Raceway. "These events will be for true race fans, not necessarily those who are attracted to the social aspects that helped make Sebring famous. Attendees will be expected to demonstrate to government officials that they can watch a sporting event responsibly so that opportunities may be expanded in the future."
You got to be committed to the race; no sane person wants to socialize at an airport in middle FLA in July!!
Old 30 Jun 2020, 21:13 (Ref:3984818)   #653
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The S365 podcast also discussed the prospects of GTD Pro a little bit more. Mr. Dagys I think hinted something close to what I've been saying. You could allow GT3 cars to run in the current GTLM I think. With the BMW M6 from R.L.L. in 2017 as the precedent. If you take a current GTD car. Remove some of the BoP restrictions to limit the horsepower, give it the GTLM confidential tire, have all pro drivers. And I think you are in a range that you can work with already. I hope this could entice Bentley to come in perhaps. As they are re-evaluating their program now. Any of the current IMSA GTD makes of course as well.
Old 1 Jul 2020, 15:45 (Ref:3984925)   #654
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
If you take a current GTD car. Remove some of the BoP restrictions to limit the horsepower, give it the GTLM confidential tire, have all pro drivers. And I think you are in a range that you can work with already. I hope this could entice Bentley to come in perhaps. As they are re-evaluating their program now. Any of the current IMSA GTD makes of course as well.
Sorry, that won't work. Not all the cars have the same speed/pace potential if you simply remove the BoP. Take the Porsche GT3R for example -- if you take the restrictor out, it gains a tiny amount of power, but not enough to make it worthwhile. If you take the restrictor out of any of the turbo V8's or the Audi it's massively faster. Also, the confidential Michelins are *designed* for the GTLM cars they're used on. You can't simply slap them on a GT3 car and be as quick as GTLM. Granted, they'll still be faster than customer tires, but not fast enough to necessarily justify the cost -- they'll also be vastly better for some chassis than others because they've been developed with such a narrow operating window.

It wouldn't surprise me if IMSA were to do something like modify GT3 cars to replace GTLM because they like to be different and have people spend more money than needed, but it's not a good idea. They should just have real Pro lineups in standard GT3 cars and call it GT and have *real* Am's (maybe w/ a Pro co-driver) in GTD w/ the same standard GT3 cars.

But anyway, what do I know. They've never listened to me before why would they start now.

-mike
Old 1 Jul 2020, 16:32 (Ref:3984936)   #655
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Would IMSA then follow what the ACO are doing with GTE Pro vs Am where the cars are basically the same, aside from BOP and such to try and somewhat separate the classes (though I believe that GTE Am cars also have to be at least a model year/season spec behind the Pro cars)?
Old 6 Jul 2020, 01:54 (Ref:3986102)   #656
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Can anyone speculate the possible entry list changes from Daytona to Sebring 240 races? Sebring will have LMP2 and GTD sprint cup only. I think the Shank Acuras will not be there for starters. DPI and GTLM will probably be the same. So its all pro-am classes that will change i reckon.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 02:05 (Ref:3986104)   #657
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Sorry, that won't work. Not all the cars have the same speed/pace potential if you simply remove the BoP. Take the Porsche GT3R for example -- if you take the restrictor out, it gains a tiny amount of power, but not enough to make it worthwhile. If you take the restrictor out of any of the turbo V8's or the Audi it's massively faster. Also, the confidential Michelins are *designed* for the GTLM cars they're used on. You can't simply slap them on a GT3 car and be as quick as GTLM. Granted, they'll still be faster than customer tires, but not fast enough to necessarily justify the cost -- they'll also be vastly better for some chassis than others because they've been developed with such a narrow operating window.

It wouldn't surprise me if IMSA were to do something like modify GT3 cars to replace GTLM because they like to be different and have people spend more money than needed, but it's not a good idea. They should just have real Pro lineups in standard GT3 cars and call it GT and have *real* Am's (maybe w/ a Pro co-driver) in GTD w/ the same standard GT3 cars.

But anyway, what do I know. They've never listened to me before why would they start now.

-mike
You are probably right as usual Mike. Still I see IMSA really thinking they need a short term boost to keep the class going for 2 more years. Mixing DP and LMP2 in 2014 seemed more crazy than this idea.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 20:04 (Ref:3986839)   #658
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Well disregard last post. Sebring 240 entry list is out.

1. DPI and GTLM same.
2. All 5 LMP2 cars from 24 hours are entered
3. GTD grid down 2 with Shank cars not doing sprint cup only round.

Hope GTD is more competitive this time around. Shocked how dominant the Lexus were.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 20:25 (Ref:3986846)   #659
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Impressive retention on any year but this year especially, no new losses by 10 days to go so who knows with the way things are going.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 18:04 (Ref:3987040)   #660
MaskedRacer
Veteran

NASCAR to run Daytona roval. I look forward to see how they compare to IMSA classes. Cup Series cars overall lap time might compare best to GS/GT4 I think. No way they get near GTD/GT3. Mainly cause they will not be very quick in the infield and bus stop.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3987065)   #661
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The top speed vs lap times will be interesting and the transition in the bus stop.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 21:09 (Ref:3987493)   #662
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
NASCAR to run Daytona roval. I look forward to see how they compare to IMSA classes. Cup Series cars overall lap time might compare best to GS/GT4 I think. No way they get near GTD/GT3. Mainly cause they will not be very quick in the infield and bus stop.

NASCAR on road courses look clumsy at best, but there’s something interesting about how much they struggle with a non oval corner!
Old 11 Jul 2020, 22:10 (Ref:3987509)   #663
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will they use restrictors to daytona roval?
expect a lot of crashes at bus chicane and first turn
Old 20 Jul 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3989784)   #664
MaskedRacer
Veteran

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...-restrictions/

Had a feeling this would happen with some of those nutjob Northeast governors.

The Charlotte Roval for the all-GT race seems to be a feasible enough idea
Road Atlanta as a replacement should be a 2 hour 40 or a 4 hour race. Why have a 6 when you already have a 10? Seems redundant. Save a some operation costs too.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3989786)   #665
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Do we know the status of fan attendance for Road America or VIR yet?
Old 20 Jul 2020, 16:09 (Ref:3989790)   #666
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Do we know the status of fan attendance for Road America or VIR yet?
Road America already had fans for indycar, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know how the teams can plan anything without knowing the schedule, it has to be especially hard for all those workers.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3989812)   #667
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Eh nutjob/doing what they think is important to save lives, tomato/tomahto. It's difficult to fault them based on that motive alone.

VIR is currently closed to spectators until the state makes the decision to allow fans to events. Personally I hope it remains closed to alleviate pressure on a 10th wedding anniversary weekend. Having gone to the race for the 4th anniversary gave me enough to know that while VIR is for lovers, it's not 10th anniversary lover level lol.

You plan based on what you know is on the schedule, not what races might come off. Most if not all of the hotels and being pretty understanding. If money has been put down on room blocks, most hotels are saying those rooms can be used for future race dates. I definitely wouldn't wait to make plans to see what happens to a race in doubt.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 13:37 (Ref:3989972)   #668
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Whelp - Acura/Penske split confirmed. Small noises about someone else picking up the cars and Penske running a new program. Not sure on firmness of either.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 14:27 (Ref:3989986)   #669
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Whelp - Acura/Penske split confirmed. Small noises about someone else picking up the cars and Penske running a new program. Not sure on firmness of either.
Dangerous times for IMSA. It's looking very much like the pre-collapse WEC days.

Idealy another team picks up the Acura contractor, and Penske stays with another program. But it's very easy to see how you could end up with Acura leaving, and Penske deciding it doesn't want to buy customer cars from Cadillac, so they're out too.

IMSA getting rid of the LMP2s from the top flight is the exact same mistake the ACO did by not allowing the LMP1-P regulations to keep up with the LMP1-H regs, effectively making the privateer cars worthless.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 14:34 (Ref:3989991)   #670
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Dangerous times for IMSA. It's looking very much like the pre-collapse WEC days.

Idealy another team picks up the Acura contractor, and Penske stays with another program. But it's very easy to see how you could end up with Acura leaving, and Penske deciding it doesn't want to buy customer cars from Cadillac, so they're out too.

IMSA getting rid of the LMP2s from the top flight is the exact same mistake the ACO did by not allowing the LMP1-P regulations to keep up with the LMP1-H regs, effectively making the privateer cars worthless.

I interpret this is a split not a withdraw. Plus the situation with GTLM and what to do with that is a much more pressing issue for 2021.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 15:14 (Ref:3989999)   #671
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I interpret this is a split not a withdraw. Plus the situation with GTLM and what to do with that is a much more pressing issue for 2021.
I also read it as that, but there's no confirmation of anything.

Given the current situation, it isn't unreasonable for Acura to stop promoting a luxury brand. So there's a real chance that that project may not continue.

Penske themselves weren't really interested in IMSA until a factory project was available to run. Will they get factory Caddies? Maybe. Will they be happy with that? Maybe. But one thing is for sure - there's no other choice available in the Prototype ranks. They aren't going to run LMP2s.

Since the Mazda still doesn't appear to be in a position to sell or support cars, the Nissan no longer exists and the Acura is a question mark on running, never mind providing cars for customers, if I was project managing the IMSA Prototype classes right now, I'd put the entire thing down as "At Risk".
Old 21 Jul 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3990012)   #672
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, but possibly good news? Acura wants to go with a model like they had when they started their prototype program in the ALMS, and similar to what Cadillac does now. Have customer teams run their own programs with the manufacturer lending a hand.

https://racer.com/2020/07/21/acura-p...t-end-of-2020/

The optimist in me wants to think that we could end up with additional Acuras on the grid in the future because of this. And to be honest, this could have been a great plan if not for covid. Realistically I would be pleased if there are still going to be 2 Acuras on the grid next year.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 18:57 (Ref:3990047)   #673
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Had a feeling this would happen with some of those nutjob Northeast governors.

Yeah, nutjobs trying to keep the disease from spreading! Didn't they know they can just wait and it'll disappear like magic, no intervention required?
Old 21 Jul 2020, 20:23 (Ref:3990060)   #674
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Yes, but possibly good news? Acura wants to go with a model like they had when they started their prototype program in the ALMS, and similar to what Cadillac does now. Have customer teams run their own programs with the manufacturer lending a hand.

https://racer.com/2020/07/21/acura-p...t-end-of-2020/

The optimist in me wants to think that we could end up with additional Acuras on the grid in the future because of this. And to be honest, this could have been a great plan if not for covid. Realistically I would be pleased if there are still going to be 2 Acuras on the grid next year.

Your realistic hope if my optimistic hope. But realistically the earth will finally open and swallow us all
Old 21 Jul 2020, 22:54 (Ref:3990084)   #675
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But realistically the earth will finally open and swallow us all
It certainly isn't out of the realm of possibilities and anything better than this will be a delight. I'm just not getting hopes up!