Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Dec 2008, 07:02 (Ref:2360613)   #1
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How would WP/HRT survive without Holden $??

Just a query! Would Walkinshaw Performance/HRT survive without Holden $'s. That was the chat around a Xmas bbq today.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2360617)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would imnagine they would just hunt down a sponsor to replace them. Would they not also have HSV money?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 07:54 (Ref:2360627)   #3
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Skaife 'bought' HRT, he did so with a 10-year sponsorship contract from Holden in his pocket - so there's a while to go yet....

WP is a customer operation - as long as they have customers wanting to buy what they sell, they'll continue. What happens to Holden is not crucial.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2360631)   #4
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspence
When Skaife 'bought' HRT, he did so with a 10-year sponsorship contract from Holden in his pocket - so there's a while to go yet....

WP is a customer operation - as long as they have customers wanting to buy what they sell, they'll continue. What happens to Holden is not crucial.
Skaife had (has) a ten year deal! Not WP. HMS has customers, supplied by WP. Year by Year?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2360636)   #5
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
Skaife had (has) a ten year deal! Not WP. HMS has customers, supplied by WP. Year by Year?
The sponsorship contract would be with HRT, not M. Skaife esq. You own the company, you own the contract....
Old 24 Dec 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2360638)   #6
Camaroz
Veteran

Sounds like you know whats going on! The Contract was with HRT that was owned by WP anyway! Up for renewal end 2008?

Can you verify that WP will be supported by Holden (to the same level as past) in 2009 and beyond?

Last edited by Camaroz; 24 Dec 2008 at 08:33.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 03:45 (Ref:2361697)   #7
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds like you know whats going on! The Contract was with HRT that was owned by WP anyway! Up for renewal end 2008?

Can you verify that WP will be supported by Holden (to the same level as past) in 2009 and beyond?
Does any person know whether GM will survive in todays economic climate ???? if they don't , neither will WP & Holden.......
Old 28 Dec 2008, 05:59 (Ref:2361717)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nightingale
Does any person know whether GM will survive in todays economic climate ???? if they don't , neither will WP & Holden.......
GM is legally compartmentalized with all it's world operations and for GM USA, I don't think it's going way. It may change some or a lot, but GM USA will still be around in some fashion. Holden I don't think will be too affected. They are kind of doing their own thing.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2361733)   #9
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just a query! Would Walkinshaw Performance/HRT survive without Holden $'s. That was the chat around a Xmas bbq today.
You know, I was wondering the same thing, given Ford's reduced support for its teams.

Both manufacturers are having to find money to keep on keeping on... but something has to give. Maybe another sponsor will chime to become major naming rights sponsor?

I'd hate to think HRT will be a part time participant like in the early years (despite innuendo of being the best funded team at the time) even though players like Perkins contested every round with relatively little funding.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2361736)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A hypothetical question...

Do you think $850k is enough money to be asking for naming rights sponsorship on a car, with only a couple of other, trade sponsors (Mobil 1, NGK...) to be on there too?

Presuming any of this actually was thought about
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Dec 2008, 09:32 (Ref:2361761)   #11
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

Do you think $850k is enough money to be asking for naming rights sponsorship on a car, with only a couple of other, trade sponsors (Mobil 1, NGK...) to be on there too?

Toll being asked to step up? Still when you can't get naming rights to the team, why bother...
Old 28 Dec 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2361850)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would HRT (or FPR) even be interested in continuing without the manufacturer backing??

WP could presumebly continue to offer their services as a supplier. Would they want to run a team on their own as well with Holden behind it??
Old 28 Dec 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2362013)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Toll being asked to step up? Still when you can't get naming rights to the team, why bother...

I was, hypothetically of course, thinking about the sponsor of the 4th WP car, in HYL guise..... allegedly...
Old 28 Dec 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2362070)   #14
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What is the legal status of a wholly owned Australian subsdiary of a US company in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. In past cases they have either been sold at a discount as a going concern, or have been asset striped.
How does HRT or HSV have any value if there are no Holdens comming off the production line to "Special Vehicle" or to form a "Race Team"?
The same could apply to FPR of course.
And don't let anyone tell you GM in chapter 11 can't happen, the "rescue" deal is a ticking time bomb left by GWB for the new administration.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 01:32 (Ref:2362114)   #15
sharkiesrule
Rookie

sharkiesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

Given how there were some drastic re evaluations (downwards) on the value of naming rights over the last few months, I'd suggest that's on par - bit hard to chase bigger money merely for ptoential no??
Old 29 Dec 2008, 01:34 (Ref:2362116)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkiesrule
Given how there were some drastic re evaluations (downwards) on the value of naming rights over the last few months, I'd suggest that's on par - bit hard to chase bigger money merely for ptoential no??
If a car costs $2.5m to run, and you ask $850k for naming rights, and you get $850k out of the TEGA money bin... where does the rest come from??

Answer on a (red) postcard?
Old 29 Dec 2008, 01:38 (Ref:2362117)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony
What is the legal status of a wholly owned Australian subsdiary of a US company in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. In past cases they have either been sold at a discount as a going concern, or have been asset striped.
How does HRT or HSV have any value if there are no Holdens comming off the production line to "Special Vehicle" or to form a "Race Team"?
The same could apply to FPR of course.
And don't let anyone tell you GM in chapter 11 can't happen, the "rescue" deal is a ticking time bomb left by GWB for the new administration.
Chapter 11 will come, eventually. Implications are huge.. for the local company, in that they likely have parent guarantees to continue operations, to allow banking facilities to continue to exist. It is more than likely that any debt for the local arm is guaranteed to some extent by the parent.

So.. if the parent gets wobbly, the local entity shall also have interesting challenges, with the local banks likely asking for alternate security for their debts.

Enter stage left... KRuddBot.

A consortium of bankers to take over the local debt, to refinance it... with explicit guarantees and potentially management oversight of a local board..

To keep Aussies in jobs...

Back in the old days, this would be fixed by ComFleet (or its previous gestations) placing large orders from a particular car maker in trouble. Maybe it will again....

This will still cause significant stress to dealers, to the suppliers to dealers, to the carmaker and parts suppliers, to owners of the cars which might be as saleable as a 380....

We will see...
Old 29 Dec 2008, 05:20 (Ref:2362146)   #18
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
No such trouble for Ford Australia, they are SAFE... and i MEAN safe....
Old 30 Dec 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2362520)   #19
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
GM is legally compartmentalized with all it's world operations and for GM USA, I don't think it's going way. It may change some or a lot, but GM USA will still be around in some fashion. Holden I don't think will be too affected. They are kind of doing their own thing.
having spent time at Fishermansbend. Holden can't do anything with out approval from Detroit. And the way the yanks run a bisuness into the ground, I hope that Holden breaks free, and continues to support motorpsort in Aust.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 01:29 (Ref:2362521)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Tata + Holden = ??????
Old 30 Dec 2008, 02:06 (Ref:2362529)   #21
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter Nightingale. Agreed that Foed look the safest of the big three, but Kirk Kerkorian has sold all his Ford shares, and seeing as he owned 133.5 million shares as at July that indicates a fairly big loss of faith by a big industry player.
Ford's biggest problem could be if GM goes chapter 11 the administrators will have a wonderful opportunity to clean out the management there, renegotiate or dump the UAW, dump unproductive dealers etc. That would make GM a much tougher competitor in the recovery period after the recession.
If GM does go Chapter 11, and there needs to be local debt reconstruction for GMH, one would hope that something is done to ensure more independence for local management. I think looking around the local corporate scene it is very difficult to find a US originated CEO or CFO who is doing anything for his company or for this country.
Old 1 Jan 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2363590)   #22
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden + Tata -that would be a joke
Old 2 Jan 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2363871)   #23
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.v814
Holden + Tata -that would be a joke
That is realy not correct, Tata already own Jaguar/Landrover so why not one more.....
Old 2 Jan 2009, 02:24 (Ref:2363882)   #24
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No such trouble for Ford Australia, they are SAFE... and i MEAN safe....
May I use that quote as a sig?

I don't know if the Ford fans are living in glass houses sometimes... but Ford are in as much trouble as GM... just a few months behind, if the two scenarios are looked at in isolation.

Kerkorian made a 14 % profit on selling his stake in GM to increase his stake in MGM. He had Ford shares as collateral for his credit line... and he was under the impression Ford would make a profit in 2009. Since then, Ford shares nosedived and Ford have announced the profit will come in 2011 instead.

How much confidence does that give you regarding the future of any company? Maybe the FFs are eternal optimists.. or maybe just high risk takers?
Old 2 Jan 2009, 03:27 (Ref:2363886)   #25
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is realy not correct, Tata already own Jaguar/Landrover so why not one more.....
I dont care if tata owns holden as long as they dont rebadge tata cars and sell them as holdens thats the point i was trying to make