Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Sep 2020, 17:09 (Ref:4001483)   #7726
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Jamie Chadwick and Sophia Floersch are rising up the ranks quickly too.
Or being off the pace at higher levels even more than they were at lower levels?
Old 10 Sep 2020, 17:52 (Ref:4001500)   #7727
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Or being off the pace at higher levels even more than they were at lower levels?
That's harsh. Sophia kicked ass in Ginetta Jrs and she was barely out of nappies at the time. That big shunt has probably had an affect on her; my brain cannot recollect the name of that famous Asian street circuit, but it really was a horrible accident.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 17:57 (Ref:4001505)   #7728
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That's harsh. Sophia kicked ass in Ginetta Jrs and she was barely out of nappies at the time. That big shunt has probably had an affect on her; my brain cannot recollect the name of that famous Asian street circuit, but it really was a horrible accident.

Think ‘if I owned a female cattle, it would be...’
Old 10 Sep 2020, 18:00 (Ref:4001507)   #7729
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Or how about those women in the BTCC that took class wins back in the pre-91 days, like Christabel Carlisle (I think), Louise Aitken-Walker or Nettan Lindgren
I bet Jonathon Palmer remembers Nettan!
Old 10 Sep 2020, 18:07 (Ref:4001512)   #7730
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hell hath no fury like a woman rammed!

Funnily enough I found myself watching the 92 review video today, maybe I should watch the 91 next just for that famous Palmer/Lindgren moment
Old 10 Sep 2020, 18:13 (Ref:4001514)   #7731
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hell hath no fury like a woman rammed!

Funnily enough I found myself watching the 92 review video today, maybe I should watch the 91 next just for that famous Palmer/Lindgren moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ZGy6TZPls
Old 10 Sep 2020, 18:43 (Ref:4001528)   #7732
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Soooo. The point has been made, women are just as good at racing so let's get back on thread.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 22:08 (Ref:4001558)   #7733
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
frankly not a single women comes to mind when it comes to motorsport except Sabine Schmitz and perhaps Ellen Lohr and Claudia Hurtgen
Here are five that raced in the BTCC...

https://www.itv.com/btcc/articles/five-females-from-the-btccs-past
Old 10 Sep 2020, 22:26 (Ref:4001560)   #7734
porsche962fan
Veteran

I was refering to ones who stand out , getting real results
Old 11 Sep 2020, 05:36 (Ref:4001603)   #7735
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe - for perspective - we should list the names of blokes who either did or didn’t get consistently good results ?
Old 11 Sep 2020, 05:49 (Ref:4001604)   #7736
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So we've established that you think:
Female drivers aren't successful.
BTCC drivers are in the wrong teams.
There are too many cars.
BTCC has farcical teams.
BTCC visits awful tracks.
BTCC cars have the wrong gears.
BTCC doesn't have good racing.
BTCC should penalise the RWD cars.
BTCC cars are too fragile.
BTCC rules are draconian.
BTCC drivers should punt others off.
The championship is going to be a procession.

It's clear you think there is a lot wrong with the BTCC - here's a challenge - what do you think the BTCC does right?
Old 11 Sep 2020, 06:31 (Ref:4001608)   #7737
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I think now that we have amassed the evidence that the solution is clear.

I say we take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

(and with a bit of luck we'll catch covid, BLM and everything else wrong with the world in the blast)
Old 11 Sep 2020, 08:32 (Ref:4001619)   #7738
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something else for Porsche962fan to complain about, Silverstone confirmed as being behind closed doors (which I think we all sort of knew anyway)

https://www.silverstone.co.uk/btcc-sept-2020-faqs/
Old 11 Sep 2020, 09:54 (Ref:4001629)   #7739
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I don't think Silverstone being a closed doors event will come as a huge surprise to anyone, at least to anyone that has been paying attention. Silverstone haven't been selling tickets to any events so far this year. I don't think Croft has run any spectators meetings so far this year either, so we can rule that one out as well.

Not BTCC, but BSB at Oulton Park next weekend will be closed as well. MSV claim they were intending to run it as a pilot event with limited spectators, which is odd because I'd not seen it on any of the DCMS approved lists prior to the most recent 'Joy Of Six' changes. If that's true then I assume MSV will try to do the same with Snetterton and Brands.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...ally-distanced
Incidentally, the latest DCMS announcement says that selected previously approved pilot event will be able to have spectators but the limit now reduced to 1000.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 11:35 (Ref:4001652)   #7740
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Here are five that raced in the BTCC...

https://www.itv.com/btcc/articles/fi...the-btccs-past
Quote:
Louise Aitken-Walker was a race winner who finished fifth in the championship (and second in class), beating the likes of Tim Harvey, Will Hoy, Chris Hodgetts and Andy Rouse. And Steve Soper, Mike Jordan, Jeff Allam and Frank Sytner.

Lindgren also had a class win, and Cook had an independents win.

Are those not real results?
Old 11 Sep 2020, 12:56 (Ref:4001664)   #7741
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...ally-distanced
Incidentally, the latest DCMS announcement says that selected previously approved pilot event will be able to have spectators but the limit now reduced to 1000.
I think that list might be incorrect now as well, I saw a tweet from Yorkshire Cricket Club saying that the T20 match between Yorkshire and Durham is now behind close doors following the rise in cases.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 14:23 (Ref:4001677)   #7742
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Croft put out a post today to say the btcc will be run behind close doors
Old 11 Sep 2020, 14:23 (Ref:4001678)   #7743
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Croft is also going to be behind closed doors - http://www.croftcircuit.co.uk/news/1...d-closed-doors

No real surprise, I have feeling the whole season will now be behind closed doors.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 14:31 (Ref:4001680)   #7744
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post

Lindgren also had a class win, and Cook had an independents win.

Are those not real results?
I mean women who can get many (or prestigious ) wins and outright titles
Old 11 Sep 2020, 15:44 (Ref:4001693)   #7745
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
Croft is also going to be behind closed doors - http://www.croftcircuit.co.uk/news/1...d-closed-doors

No real surprise, I have feeling the whole season will now be behind closed doors.
Agreed, especially with the way things seem to be going regarding R rates etc. Do we think it'll affect the running of things as they are? The restrictions that are currently in place are pretty strict as it is.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 15:57 (Ref:4001696)   #7746
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I mean women who can get many (or prestigious ) wins and outright titles
I'm sure bella will be along presently, but I'll just raise the obvious societal issues around centuries of structural inequality, society conditioning girls from a young age to fit into certain boxes (most of which aren't metal and capable of accelerating from 0-100mph in the blink of an eye), the fact that girls often shine in karting but then depart somewhere around their teenage years to do other things, and so on, and so on, etc etc ad infinitum.

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

The very fact that you are repeatedly mentioning the fact that not very many women have reached the heady heights of winning national or international circuit races (excepting all the ones who've been mentioned already, and stars in their own right like Brittany Force, Jessi Combs and others involved in drag racing who regularly beat men) only goes to show how embedded those structural inequalities are.

Get off your high horse and do something about it. Find a local young female karter, support them, give them the leg up they so obviously need to carry on when everything seems against them.

Basically: stop being such a predictably male male.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.

We now return you to your regular programme of moaning and putting people down.

Last edited by Greem; 11 Sep 2020 at 16:06.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 16:19 (Ref:4001699)   #7747
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The way I see it, prior to 1999, it would have been difficult to identify a privateer entry in the btcc with 'real' results (in the modern era). Then, Matt Neal broke that mould. Over time, the 'novelty' of privateer success began to wear off. Now, in 2020, we tend to ignore the fact that Butcher and Sutton are driving for privateer entries and competing with factory backed teams.

So yes, it might be true that female drivers in the past have not won as many races as males. One day, that may change and the likes of Jade Edwards may be seen as early foundations for regular female drivers to gain wins and titles in the btcc. It's not being naive or prejudiced to recognise that not many females have competed in the past. But that doesn't mean past results are a certainty that future results for females will be the same. Hopefully, we will reach a day where the gender of a driver is hardly mentioned, alongside ethnicity, financial status or any other off-track factor that has no bearing on their potential for success.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 16:20 (Ref:4001701)   #7748
porsche962fan
Veteran

those with the high moral crap should rather moan why exactly is there any separation in sports stil ??? if they supposedly as good as men

for example why doesn't SNOOKER abolish separation and women play against men say women can go directly against the likes of Ronnie O'sullivan , or in Tennis why aren't there men against women matches ???

or in SOCCER and other team sports why aren't teams mixed men/women ? say Manchaster United has 5 women and 6 men players

as it stands MOTORSPORT is actually the only real sports where there is no separation and we don't have any women who could be anyway near the likes of Ronnie Peterson, Ayrton Senna, Allain Prost, Michael Schumacher and the now Lewis Hamilton steamroller ?
this are not some misogynist views or other such crap, this are the cold hardt facts
Old 11 Sep 2020, 16:32 (Ref:4001703)   #7749
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
those with the high moral crap should rather moan why exactly is there any separation in sports stil ??? if they supposedly as good as men
Because. Most. Of. The. Sports. Are. Run. By. Men.

Quote:
for example why doesn't SNOOKER abolish separation and women play against men say women can go directly against the likes of Ronnie O'sullivan , or in Tennis why aren't there men against women matches ???
There are some excellent female snooker players but the powers that be prevent them from playing men for reasons which are baffling. In some places, women can't get tables in snooker clubs _because they're women_.

Quote:
as it stands MOTORSPORT is actually the only real sports where there is no separation and we don't have any women who could be anyway near the likes of Ronnie Peterson, Ayrton Senna, Allain Prost, Mcihael Schumacher and the now Hamilton Steamroller ?

there are not some misogynist views or other such crap, this are the cold hardt facts
I'm not accusing you of misogyny. That's never my game; you know me and my posting style - attack the post, not the poster. If you feel attacked by my words, take a look at your own posting style and have a bit of a reflective moment.

The reasons there's never been a female driver reach the heady heights of the illustrious list you posted aren't as simple as "women are slow". Women don't get the opportunities, from the moment they arrive on the planet.

And then when someone DOES get an opportunity, people decry their talent and do them down, say they're not good enough, that it's a wasted seat, that they won't be very good, they don't stand out enough, etc etc.

Now tell me again why not many women reach the top of the motorsport ladder?
Old 11 Sep 2020, 16:34 (Ref:4001704)   #7750
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

or in SOCCER and other team sports why aren't teams mixed men/women ? say Manchaster United has 5 women and 6 men players

as it stands MOTORSPORT is actually the only real sports where there is no separation and we don't have any women who could be anyway near the likes of Ronnie Peterson, Ayrton Senna, Allain Prost, Michael Schumacher and the now Lewis Hamilton steamroller ?
this are not some misogynist views or other such crap, this are the cold hardt facts
I have two words for this post and both would be autocensored.