Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3966539)   #5301
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just come across this very interesting interview from Gow last week, acknowledged even then that today's news was likely and sounds optimistic about the end of the year: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...ar-time-spirit
Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3966540)   #5302
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Just come across this very interesting interview from Gow last week, acknowledged even then that today's news was likely and sounds optimistic about the end of the year
I agree with having optimism - but sensible optimism rather than ignorance of the reality.

In previous weeks, opinions expressed have included:

'We just need people to be sensible and it'll soon be over.'
'I seriously think that the virus being over in July is only a worse case scenario. If people take the necessary precautions, it hopefully will be over sooner.'
'Cheltenham festival was last week with over 250k people attending over a few days. Has anyone heard any reports of anyone there having caught coronavirus?'
'Is [Coronavirus] really as bad as they say or is it just the whole world has jumped on a bandwagon?'
'I don't see a huge risk. It's a few thousand people at a predominately outdoor event, where you're free to roam over square miles. As likely to catch it walking down the street.'
'As soon as the weather warms up a bit it will just go away. '

Sadly, I fear that if the same mentality to this crisis is adopted when restrictions are lifted, we'll see them brought back in again soon after.
Even more sadly, I think they will having seen many people's actions even today.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:32 (Ref:3966541)   #5303
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just come across this very interesting interview from Gow last week, acknowledged even then that today's news was likely and sounds optimistic about the end of the year: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...ar-time-spirit
That does seem overly optimistic - I would imagine that the majority of driver's sponsors will be pulling funding to ensure they can keep their own facilities open and staffed. If we do see any racing this year, it will be with a reduced grid size.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:33 (Ref:3966542)   #5304
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Hong Kong relaxed restrictions and then saw cases rises again.
Yes - if the incubation period is proven to be a maximum of 14 days, then ideally you need to wait until a 14-day period of zero cases (not just new, but ongoing) is confirmed globally before lifting restrictions.

This will be impossible to reach, so there is always an element of risk when lifting restrictions. As restrictions are lifted - how do you prevent outside cases being brought into your territory again?

Obviously a hypothetical that would never have been possible - but this entire situation could have been over in four weeks - if the entire globe had entered a lock-down the day the first case was reported.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:34 (Ref:3966543)   #5305
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I was told by a contact in the paddock that at least 1 game software company had recently enquired about the BTCC licencing, but were put off by the "excessive costs".
Looks like TOCA may have been on the money when they added the control measures over licensing to this year's regulations.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:36 (Ref:3966545)   #5306
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I hope he does “get it” and this is bravado . All of the funders in Motorsport will be totally on their Ar$e. There will be NO money in 2020 for racing. Indeed most of the World will wait to see if it goes away and be waiting to see if it returns and will be build war chests and recoveri from now . Only the very strong or those with no liabilities will survive this and that ain’t many. I hope I am wrong but imagine this - at the moment 80% of the World is not spending and 50% are not earning. That’s the reality imo anything else is just hope and bravado
Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:39 (Ref:3966548)   #5307
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"We will do what is required to get the season done."
This phrase sounds familiar, seems that Gow is learning from the best
Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:53 (Ref:3966552)   #5308
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
It would make sense for British GT and BTCC to come to an agreement to run together on say a 4 day meeting - Thurs-Sun with all the practice and Q on Friday and then racing from early doors Saturday through to Sunday Afternoon - this would free up more clear weekends - there will probably be at least 20 major events wanting to re-schedule postponed dates let alone clubbies and other events like MG Live, Ferrari 488 Challenge and the calendar will already be full.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 16:17 (Ref:3966555)   #5309
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It would make sense for British GT and BTCC to come to an agreement to run together on say a 4 day meeting - Thurs-Sun with all the practice and Q on Friday and then racing from early doors Saturday through to Sunday Afternoon - this would free up more clear weekends - there will probably be at least 20 major events wanting to re-schedule postponed dates let alone clubbies and other events like MG Live, Ferrari 488 Challenge and the calendar will already be full.
Might be viable as a 2 day meeting - no idea yet what the size of the grids would be. Given the financial carnage currently going on I very much doubt the grids as announced will be the grids that hit the circuit if any meetings do take place this season. Merge grids where you can to get something half sensible.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 16:19 (Ref:3966556)   #5310
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I am sure Gow will get something done. I like the idea of British GT joining up with the BTCC, two birds with one stone. Sure plenty will pull together to get some racing done
Old 24 Mar 2020, 16:30 (Ref:3966561)   #5311
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I am sure Gow will get something done. I like the idea of British GT joining up with the BTCC, two birds with one stone. Sure plenty will pull together to get some racing done
You could put the Ginettas out with the GT grid, MINIs out with the Clios and Porsche Carrera Cup out with the Porsche Sprint Challenge. Might get worthwhile grids out of that lot.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 16:59 (Ref:3966567)   #5312
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Actually that might not be a bad idea either, combining grids. Could have some interesting racing out of it
Old 24 Mar 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3966570)   #5313
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Actually that might not be a bad idea either, combining grids. Could have some interesting racing out of it
Might be the only way to get decent numbers.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 17:21 (Ref:3966574)   #5314
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there is the possibility of races happening in the second half of the year, I think you will find that BSB will get the calendar sorted the quickest, they are run by MSV and have the biggest crowds which equal more money, then it will be BTCC and then British GT, club racing will probably take a back seat to the major championships
But I guess we need to see when we get back racing and how many teams are affected by this with budgets
Old 24 Mar 2020, 18:45 (Ref:3966598)   #5315
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
There will be some consolidation, some clubs asked to merge meetings and perhaps drop some of the double races to accomodate another club championship. Actually might be a good opportunity to experiment with some Best of British Motorsport weekends with BTCC and GT, will need some ego and pride swallonwing, but needs must and all that..

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 24 Mar 2020, 20:06 (Ref:3966609)   #5316
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Well if social distancing doesn't work we could just take off and nuke it from orbit. The only way to be sure. Wise words...
Old 24 Mar 2020, 22:17 (Ref:3966626)   #5317
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
I start to doubt that 2020 season of BTCC will happen.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 22:40 (Ref:3966627)   #5318
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget that Silverstone can operate its National layout and International layout simultaneously. Supports on one, BTCC/BGT on the other? Club events are pretty much a write off this year. MSUK will want top tiers to run something, the rest can go without.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 22:53 (Ref:3966630)   #5319
S griffin
Veteran

Indeed, they will try to find a way around it. I am sure something will happen, even if it’s only a mini series
Old 24 Mar 2020, 22:58 (Ref:3966632)   #5320
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed, they will try to find a way around it. I am sure something will happen, even if it’s only a mini series
You don't need to post the same thoughts a thousand times.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 23:23 (Ref:3966634)   #5321
S griffin
Veteran

This is a hard time for everyone, it’s very easy to say the wrong thing. Just need less doom and gloom. So let’s just try and use this time to stick together and look to the future
Old 25 Mar 2020, 09:22 (Ref:3966672)   #5322
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There will be some consolidation, some clubs asked to merge meetings and perhaps drop some of the double races to accomodate another club championship. Actually might be a good opportunity to experiment with some Best of British Motorsport weekends with BTCC and GT, will need some ego and pride swallonwing, but needs must and all that..

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Double headers are used to reduce costs though. There is no easy answer, but I suspect that a lot of series will simply forget about doing anything this year.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 09:42 (Ref:3966678)   #5323
yellowbeard
Rookie

yellowbeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the official BTCC forum someone asked Alan Gow if it was possible there could be an "eBTCC" series instead this year and he replied that they were finalising some details but there but there should be an announcement in the next two of three days.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 09:56 (Ref:3966682)   #5324
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbeard View Post
On the official BTCC forum someone asked Alan Gow if it was possible there could be an "eBTCC" series instead this year and he replied that they were finalising some details but there but there should be an announcement in the next two of three days.
I had an inkling this might have been on the cards.

A few days ago, Matt Neal (IIRC) commented about eRacing, and he was prompted to check his DMs. It definitely sounded like it was being considered to at least provide some Motorsport, even if in an 'e' capacity.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 10:11 (Ref:3966686)   #5325
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is a hard time for everyone, it’s very easy to say the wrong thing. Just need less doom and gloom. So let’s just try and use this time to stick together and look to the future
Aot of it is not Doom and Gloom It reality and the sooner EVERYONE wakes up to the reality the sooner it might get fixed