Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:26 (Ref:758908)   #1
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bowe is hopping mad

Bowe is hopping mad
By Ray Kershler
October 21, 2003

FORD driver John Bowe reckons V8 supercars and Indy cars don't mix.

On the eve of the big Indy weekend on the Gold Coast, Bowe has become the first driver to openly question the compatibility of the two categories.

Last year, for the first time, Australia's V8 supercars shared top billing with the American CHAMP cars which contest the Indy series.

While rain on the Gold Coast last year tended to hinder any direct conflict, Bowe says inconsistent penalties handed out by officials have the potential to ruin the V8 supercar event.

Both Bowe and his OzEmail team mate Brad Jones, along with a number of other leading drivers, were issued with drive-through infringements for kerb hopping last year.

Bowe say the problem is that the same officials who are judging kerb hopping for the more flexible Indy cars are also judging the bulkier V8s.

"The officials need to understand it is impossible to aim a V8 supercar with the same accuracy as an open wheeler," he says. "We don't want a repeat of what happened last year."

The Daily Telegraph
Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:29 (Ref:758909)   #2
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldn't be raceweek without John Bowe having a whinge.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:31 (Ref:758913)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And we get to hear it twice, once with a PROCAR hat on, once with the Supercar hat... YAY
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:32 (Ref:758914)   #4
Zinger
Racer

But this time is not NC maybe JB's expanding his talents
Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:40 (Ref:758920)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps he has to stay quiet as PHR Scuderia optimise the regulations by changing vehicles to avoid the parity police and doesnt want to draw too much attention to his team in that area
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:40 (Ref:758921)   #6
webberisgod
Rookie

webberisgod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its the same for everyone, as long as penalties are handed out on a consistant basis then whats the problem?
Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:44 (Ref:758922)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's one of his whinges - the penalties are not being handed out the same way they are at other meetings.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:56 (Ref:758929)   #8
Zinger
Racer

JB talks about the precision of a V8 to an open wheeler, take that in account the Brutes will probaly incur penalties for the whole field.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 02:35 (Ref:758953)   #9
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not ban kerb hopping. V8 Supercar racing is almost sterile now.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 03:08 (Ref:758970)   #10
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently "they" might be a bit more lenient this weekend on running over kerbs. It's practically the quickest way through most if not all of the chicanes anyway.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 22 Oct 2003, 04:44 (Ref:759001)   #11
Gudgeon
Rookie

Gudgeon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been told They have designed a new type of kerb marking made from conveyor belting this will allow a certain amount of car onto the kerbs the officials realise that indiscriminate penalties ruin racing for the fans ,It will be interesting to see if the new system works
Old 22 Oct 2003, 06:19 (Ref:759033)   #12
harderfaster
Rookie

harderfaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a 13ull$hit issue.

Kerbs / ripplestrips / whatever, are, 9 times out of 10, are there to be hit.

If you go right over them, then you should be pinged.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 06:24 (Ref:759036)   #13
pete55
Veteran

I don't think it's only the penalties that ruin the racing. It's more the fact that they want to stop the kerb hopping.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 06:35 (Ref:759041)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kerbs have only been put in to stop drivers trying to use parts fo a venue that aren't designated the race track.

Simple way to stop them - have a drop off of 10 to 20 cm at the edge of the track.

The race track is the black stuff - not the white concrete edge or the dirt, grass, sand or gravel that lines the edges of the black stuff.

About time drivers started to understand they drive on what is provided NOT what they want to drive on....if they can't keep to the black stuff - slow down and stay on it!
Old 22 Oct 2003, 06:43 (Ref:759044)   #15
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is it always this track that apparently has problems... I'm sure there's no more kerbs here than at other places... or is it the tight twisting nature or the circuit itself?

I agree, keep it on the black stuff and there's no problem is there
Old 22 Oct 2003, 07:13 (Ref:759077)   #16
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Just found this in Paul Weissel's Indy preview press release, might answer a few questions...

Quote:
The Gold Coast circuit's infamous kerbs and the law relating to driving over them, came in for much criticism last year with a number of the leading runners receiving drive-through penalties for infringing the rule during the Saturday race. It is hoped this will be less of a problem this weekend, with tyre "bundles" replacing the plastic cones, which were the contentious issue in 2002.
Could make it rather interesting
Old 22 Oct 2003, 07:58 (Ref:759116)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll turn into Monza 1996.........

Why they don't just make the kerbs higher and rougher i don't know....seems too simple an idea i suppose.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 08:00 (Ref:759119)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The kerbs are rough at Oran park yet they hop them with not a care in the world
Old 22 Oct 2003, 08:23 (Ref:759133)   #19
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The kerb which i have a problem with is the one at the first corner i think, there is the first left bit, then the right, and then there is that kurb on the exit, on the left, next to the wall.

Why do the even put it there, it should be a straight acceleration out of the corner.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 13:22 (Ref:759517)   #20
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wizzby
Just found this in Paul Weissel's Indy preview press release, might answer a few questions...

Could make it rather interesting
I hope they use the same spikes to hold the tyres that was used in NZ.How can you dispute driving over kurbs if you have flat tyres.Even Colin Bond couldn't make a mistake on that call.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 14:07 (Ref:759578)   #21
pete55
Veteran

Gee you fellows must like boring racing. The more kerb hopping two wheeling that goes on the more i like it. Maybe i should watch more V8 Brutes and Rally Cars and i think a few of you should do the same. I'm not advocating cutting corners though, just up on the kerbs and onto two wheels.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 14:36 (Ref:759617)   #22
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Well, I follow the King of Kerbhoppers....

But a good driver bouncing the car off the kerbs the right way is just as entertaining.

Last edited by Wizzby; 22 Oct 2003 at 14:38.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 09:10 (Ref:760396)   #23
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think JB made a good call airing his opinion before the race. What he's saying seems to make alot of sense to me.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 10:03 (Ref:760460)   #24
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what on earth is wrong with hitting the kerbs? its exciting, it looks good??
Old 23 Oct 2003, 19:21 (Ref:761134)   #25
pete55
Veteran

I'm with you aj. Cochrane and his cronies should have a really good look at themselves. What's next? Running on ovals?