Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Sep 2003, 21:22 (Ref:725829)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Leslie and Bennett dropped!!

Quote:
MEDIA RELEASE 20:00 21/09/03
PETRONAS ANNOUNCES MALAYSIAN DRIVER IN BRITISH TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIP

After 13 years of grooming local champions, PETRONAS through Team PETRONAS Syntium Proton (Team PSP) will finally see its first local representative in the competitive world of the British Touring Car Championship (BTCC). Twenty-year-old Fariqe Hairuman will form part of Team PSP's all-new driver line-up for the 2004 BTCC season.

The move is in line with PETRONAS' commitment to introduce and promote young local talents in top-flight international motorsport, and Fariqe will be one of Team PSP's two new drivers for the 2004 BTCC season. He will start testing in the UK immediately after the end of the 2003 BTCC season.

Team PSP is set to challenge for podium honours with an all-new car and an entirely new driver line-up. It is currently evaluating a number of drivers for the second driver slot, scheduled to be announced later this year.

Team Principal of Team PSP, David Wong said: "We at Team PSP look forward to having the first Malaysian driver to participate in BTCC. Fariqe has proven to be a fast and very promising driver in touring car competition in this region. This is a great opportunity for him and a matter of great pride for all Malaysian motorsport enthusiasts."

He continued: "As for David Leslie and Phil Bennett, we would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their relentless support and contribution to Team PSP and wish them every success in their future careers."

Fariqe's familiarisation programme in the UK will be assisted by seasoned International Race Instructor and mentor Richard Lester who also operates the Manfeild Circuit in New Zealand. Fariqe will test at selected UK BTCC circuits during the remainder of 2003 and will also assist in the development of the 2004 Team PSP Proton Impian racer.

Fariqe said: "This is a big step forward for me and I am very proud to be the first Malaysian in BTCC. I look forward to pitting myself against the established names in this fantastic series."

Fariqe is a naturally gifted racecar driver, and his entry into the high profile world of international Touring Car racing has been somewhat of a fairy tale. Scouts alerted David Wong to the keen youngster who was given the chance to prove himself on the track. His instant turn of speed and uncanny car control rewarded the team's judgement and quickly had learned heads nodding in agreement.

Fariqe’s out-of-the-box skill and youthful exuberance now only need to be tempered by the rigours of international competition. Already achieving winning and podium performances in NZ Saloon Cars, Asian Touring Cars and Malaysian Super Saloons, Fariqe will soon be testing Team PSP's Proton Impian BTCC challenger on UK circuits.

Issued by

PETRONAS Motorsports, Legal & Corporate Affairs Division, PETRONAS

Wow! I'm suprised Proton aren't retaining Leslie - well infact by looks of things Petronas are the ones who wanted to see this young driver in the BTCC. I wonder whether Leslie will retire, or continue and what Phil Bennett will be up to next year? Farique Hairuman seems to be doing well abroad but surely it's a gamble to put the responsibility of developing the new car on him?

As for the second seat - an opportunity perhaps for one of the Indie runners this year ?
Old 21 Sep 2003, 23:03 (Ref:725901)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Brave move for what is still a car badly in need of development, and the skills of a good development driver.
Old 21 Sep 2003, 23:15 (Ref:725911)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, it is sad to see Leslie and Bennett be let go. OTOH, it depends on what their contract stipulated. Was it just for one year or perhaps one year plus the option to extend it?
Old 21 Sep 2003, 23:18 (Ref:725912)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
IIRC they both had two year contracts. Today's race marked the end of the second year with the team. The second year of a lack of any notable results. Now I'm sure that this was not entirely down to the drivers but it's not really surprising that the team has decided to make changes in that department, is it?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 06:33 (Ref:726018)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They have both gone I am quote suprised at that - I had that only one of them had been dropped.

Lets just say I saw one of them in the paddock after the 2nd race yesterday and he didn't look very happy.

Last edited by rdjones; 22 Sep 2003 at 06:39.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 06:35 (Ref:726020)   #6
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand Bennett, but not leslie. David really helped the team in its first year of racing, got all there top 3 results...etc. Sounds like a bit like Toyota in F1 when they dropped Salo and McNish after their first year with the team. But anyway, that is a surprise...
Old 22 Sep 2003, 07:39 (Ref:726072)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No reference to a third car, I wonder why (having seen plenty of examples from the other works teams) they are not entering 3 cars.

The attrition rate in the BTCC is fairly high, compounded by the grid for the 2nd race being made from the result of the 1st, so running 3 cars as factory team is vital IMO. This also enables them to balance the driver line up - like MG for example.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 07:52 (Ref:726079)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And how funny to read the Sep4 edition of Autosport with the team saying how happy they are with the current driving staff....

The lack of continuity into 2004 will be a problem I would have thought, the new guy seems to be a rookie.. David Leslie could have been used as a driver mentor and help shorten the learning curve.

A bit of a mess really
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Sep 2003, 10:22 (Ref:726198)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sincerely hope they flounder next year - Leslies a good man and frankly they have **** on him. Not that I'd ever buy one of their pants cars.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 11:37 (Ref:726275)   #10
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Leslie and Bennett dropped!!

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Wow! I'm suprised Proton aren't retaining Leslie - well infact by looks of things Petronas are the ones who wanted to see this young driver in the BTCC. I wonder whether Leslie will retire, or continue and what Phil Bennett will be up to next year? Farique Hairuman seems to be doing well abroad but surely it's a gamble to put the responsibility of developing the new car on him?

As for the second seat - an opportunity perhaps for one of the Indie runners this year ?
I'd have thought- or hoped- they'd be looking for someone with previous experience of a factory team and a good track record of working to develop a car- although bearing in mind the fact that in Leslie they've just sacked someone who fits that description perfectly.....

Unless they've got someone pretty serious already in mind for the other seat, this does seem an odd decision
Old 22 Sep 2003, 11:40 (Ref:726280)   #11
ADnet
Racer

ADnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shocked really, but there are a lack of new manufacturers at the moment so it could mean more astras but leslies been their better driver by far and i think this years results have been a result of the cars not been up to scratch. but we'll have to wait and see if any drivers want to escape to the etcc like priaulx... then we could see them in a works set up, but other than that i dont know where they'll go :confused:
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 22 Sep 2003, 11:48 (Ref:726293)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe David Leslie was the one who decided to terminate the partnership?

Just remembering back to Saturday and David seemed pretty certain he'd 'be in touring cars next year' (his words) but it was notable he did not say he'd be staying put with Proton. Now it's obvious why! I wonder what he has lined up...?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 11:50 (Ref:726296)   #13
ADnet
Racer

good point. seems 90% like what youve got theres gonna happen but who???? we could do with a mystery manufacturer !
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 22 Sep 2003, 11:51 (Ref:726299)   #14
ADnet
Racer

just thought whos taking the second seat at Barwell ???
Old 22 Sep 2003, 11:56 (Ref:726305)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Seat? Would likely do them a good job, but does he fit with their 'young' image? Definately not.

BMW? Possibly. But their car is already well developed so whoever runs them are likely to go with someone with a bit of cash. Unless, of course, a works team is entered but then I'd tip Priaulx to return.

Alfa Romeo? Doubt it - same reason as Seat - he just doesn't fit with their 'image'

Volvo? Possibly. But there's not even been a serious rumour of them returning...

So the rumour of him heading back to Vauxhall seems to have the most substance. But is there actually going to be an opening? If not, maybe he could return to Honda alongside Neal and Morrison? Would make a really good solid team...

Only one thing is certain - we'll have to wait and see!

As for Bennett - wonder where he'll end up? Wouldn't be surprised to see him switch to GTs?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:05 (Ref:726309)   #16
ADnet
Racer

what about renault - or are they too into their F1 Campaigne?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:28 (Ref:726332)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I'd be surprised if a manufacturer were to build a new car especially for the BTCC. I think we're all aware that the BTCC technical-regs are now effectively dead and any new manufacturer is likely to enter the main ETCC championship before entering year-old cars in the BTCC or any other national championship.

Having said that, I reckon the Laguna would make a good looking touring car.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:42 (Ref:726356)   #18
ADnet
Racer

i did make a mock up ic of the laguna tourer new BTCC regs but lost it somewhere - you are right it looked pretty decent
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:50 (Ref:726373)   #19
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Having been very closely involved with the Clios for the past couple of years, I am pretty certain that you won't see Renault in the BTCC in the near future - their whole motor racing effort is actually geared to supporting their F1 campain. So no drive there for either Leslie or Bennet.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:58 (Ref:726383)   #20
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Leslie would make a good fit back at Honda, should there be a place, but the newcomers have impressed everyone so could put pressure on a paid drive for David elsewhere - despite his experience.

I can't see why Vauxhall would want to alter their line up out of choice, missed out on a 1-2-3 in the championship by a whisker. Won the teams and manufacturers title - not sure they could ask for anymore from their drivers.

Unless he falls on his feet elsewhere, I guess Phil B is back into the realms of finding a budget to drive or a free drive at the very best.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:46 (Ref:726442)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Tom Chilton has hardly impressed and I can see him stepping down or being 'sold' with the teams cars to an independant team.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 14:35 (Ref:726505)   #22
ADnet
Racer

could do, seemed to be a spare parts magnet did tom
Old 22 Sep 2003, 15:15 (Ref:726547)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Maybe David Leslie was the one who decided to terminate the partnership?

Just remembering back to Saturday and David seemed pretty certain he'd 'be in touring cars next year' (his words) but it was notable he did not say he'd be staying put with Proton. Now it's obvious why! I wonder what he has lined up...?
I think everyone I spoke to this weekend said they were planning/hoping to be back next year, apaart from one driver but I think he wasn't being 100% serious.

Certainly the timing of the announcement seemed odd, or maybe I'm reading too much into that.

Anyhow, here's an off-the-wall suggestion for a second driver. If the team need someone with experience, and I think they do, what about a former champion turned TV commentator. He's admitted he is looking to return next year, although he did say it would have to be a competetive car.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 15:17 (Ref:726551)   #24
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Chilton

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Tom Chilton has hardly impressed and I can see him stepping down or being 'sold' with the teams cars to an independant team.
Tom Chilton has actually improved through the season and is maturing as a Racing Driver. Even Drivers in their 30's and 40's have off days/meetings. Honda would not have even considered him if they did not see potential results from him.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 22 Sep 2003, 15:38 (Ref:726579)   #25
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I'm sure he has improved. It's hard to fail to improve over the course of a season, but he is very short on experience and a season or two in an independant team will do him no end of good. It's worth stating here that I have absolutely no axe to grind with Tom but I just feel it'll be some time before he can do a job to the same level as Leslie or any other of the older drivers.