Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1019069)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Breaking News : No change to qualifying

The current qualifying - ie one car at a time - will remain for the rest of the season.

The teams didn't want to confuse things with a mid season change.

Good plan.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:20 (Ref:1019088)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, there goes DC's chances of a good qualifying performance straight out the window!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1019103)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this is the right move. Changing the system mid-season would be unfair on the teams who thoughtfully built a smaller tank into tehir car, and an unfair gain for people who did, evne though it was unlikely to be used. Announcing the change and then un-announcing it is a bit of a farce though.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1019104)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's starting to get a bit ridiculous now!

I still think something needs to be done about qualifying, though.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:32 (Ref:1019109)   #5
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go back to last years rules, please!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1019112)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As most of us only watched the Saturday session last year, and only watch the final one now, there's no real difference.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1019116)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i feel it is a correct descision.....
i think the smaller teams would have got sponsers based on the fact that they promised exposure in qualifying atleast... with a change in the quly the sponsers for these smaller teams probably were not happy with the lack of exposure
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:39 (Ref:1019121)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[CYNIC]It was probably because Ferrari protested! [/CYNIC]
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:39 (Ref:1019123)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I'd rather see an hour of free running for quali where drivers have to complete at least 12 laps, but can run as many as they like - teams like Minardi will treat it as a test session at the same time and people will get their value for money.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1019127)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Confusing! Give us a break.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1019130)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personally, I feel this is a bad decision.

The sponsorship exposure thing is invalid because the Minardis always got coverage at the start of the old style sessions. Probably more than they do now. So that is totally invalid!

It better be changed next year, is all I can say!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1019138)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd be glad to see the current format stay for this year.

I'm not a fan of this one - lap qualifying on race fuel load, but lately, the qualifying gets more interesting. In any case, to jump and change rules isn't good for F1. At least give this format one full season before killing it, and use this time to work on one FINAL format for next season. There's no point changing at Silverstone, then come Monza, we hear moans and complains again.

Take the time to work out the best possible format for next year, which would be here to stay for the foreseeable future.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1019148)   #13
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current qualifying format is boring. The drivers don't drive on the limit and they don't take to much risks.

I would like to see just one or two 60 minutes qualifying sessions. The parc fermé-regulations should be abolished.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1019161)   #14
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Take the time to work out the best possible format for next year, which would be here to stay for the foreseeable future.
I completely agree. The current system is not good, but changing it mid-season is surely a knee jerk reaction.

By all means change the system, but take the time to make sure that you get it right and allow the teams the necessary time to make the appropriate alterations to the cars.

And if we're throwing ideas around, how about three twenty minute sessions in which the teams have to make at least one run of three laps. In addition they get three spare laps that they can choose to run in any of the sessions. So still 12 laps in total and fastest lap gets pole.

Last edited by neil_davidson2; 28 Jun 2004 at 18:05.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1019164)   #15
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooops - double post.

Last edited by neil_davidson2; 28 Jun 2004 at 18:04.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 18:17 (Ref:1019183)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hardly anyone complained about the qualifying last year. At times it was quite exciting as the fast guys started to come out, adn when they made mistakes and ended up at the back of the grid, it often enhanced the race. The only damaging this was the change to running the sesisons back-to-back this year.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 18:17 (Ref:1019184)   #17
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good move, with the current format, you see everything and every lap.

I don't understand why they need a first run though!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1019213)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
People made more mistakes when they had qualifying runs on low fuel - that would be more of a spectacle...

I fell asleep during the first couple of Grands Prix qualis this year - didn't used to happen with the one hours majig.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1019230)   #19
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remind me what was wrong with the original hour long session, either with restricted or non restricted laps. The driver made the decision when he was going to do his laps and invariably the tension at the end of the session was high. Just remember some of the great qualifying sessions involving Rosberg or Mansell or Senna. Also remember people pay to go and watch this stuff and it just aint value for money at the moment.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 19:17 (Ref:1019231)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

I'm pretty much ambivalent - the importance of the qualifying session being entertaing doesn't really concern me. Qualifying is merely to set the grid.

It's probably best that the format is not changed mid season.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1019237)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
I don't understand why they need a first run though!
because the order they go out is very important!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1019238)   #22
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was "wrong" with the original format was:

1. Slower cars did not get much air time / sponsor exposure
2. It was quite possible to miss seeing the pole lap live if the coverage was following a different car
3. It didn't allow for teams with slower cars to play games with their fuel loads to gain grid position (and an opportunity for TGF to *maybe* screw up

But for all of those things that weren't ideal, I still thought it was a better Quali format. None of that aggregate-time BS, though...
Old 28 Jun 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1019281)   #23
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The change to one lap qualifying from the original format was designed to penalize Ferrari in the guise of artificially mixing up the grid. It failed in 2003 and is failing in 2004.

Penalizing the winner of the WDC in 2003 by making them go out first in the first session is just as stupid as penalizing the winner of the last race in 2004. There is too much luck involved in current format and weather really hasn't even come into play… yet. I for one don't think attempting to intentionally introduce luck into qualifying is what the sport of motor racing is all about.

It's time to forget about screwing Michael and Ferrari and get back to a better system. BAR and Williams and I'm sure the Macs will have the pace to prevail in any qualifying format and win, but what good does it do to have a Minardi in the first row just because Kimi, Rubens, or JPM screwed up? They aren’t winning and even if they do it’s a one off that just makes a few fans feel good for a day. I know a lot of fans like the fact that scoring is closer but having the #2 driver who hasn't won one race a handful of points from someone who has won 7 is just stupid.

If mixing up the grid is all that matters do it by lottery. It can’t be any dumber than aggregate time or some other FIA creation designed to give us a feel good result.

The old system with its blindingly fast final laps will for me always be the best. TV could easily fill the dead air time at the beginning of the session with something and with all the down time at a live event during practice and qualifying, I don't see what the issue is for the fans at the track. With the new format, “watching the P1 for a minute” teams is as boring as watching an empty track in the old format.

As far as the lower teams not getting air time, maybe if Bernie & Company would let loose with some of that tightly held cash to teams that qualify lower than row 4 maybe that would become a moot point as well.

I for one am waiting in anticipation for the end of the Concord Agreement in the hopes that either Bernie will stop messing with F1 or a new series will emerge that will once again have the fastest, most technologically advanced cars and drivers in the world and a qualifying format that rewards excellence and victory, not luck and reliability.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1019285)   #24
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
What was "wrong" with the original format was:

1. Slower cars did not get much air time / sponsor exposure
In 2002, Minardi had much air time. Maybe more than McLaren, Sauber, Jaguar, Jordan and BAR.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1019312)   #25
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back the 60 minutes and I'm sure we'd all put up with 20 mins of no action after suffering this farce for the past couple of years. But you'd also have to bring back Mika Hakkinen so he could steal pole away from MS with 2 minutes to spare!