Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Oct 2002, 02:06 (Ref:407719)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A serious suggestion

Okay... How about this: Specify a minimunal height above the ground a driver's helmet _must_ protrude.

Why, you ask? Because as little as ten years ago, drivers could see _far_ more from their nearly upright positions in the cars. Now it's hard to even see over the nose of the car, much less the apex of the next turn. This has forced drivers to memorize the track, rather than react to it, and I believe, has made them far more cautious when around other cars due to a shortage of visual information.

I mean, which of these guys do you think had the better perspective to make decisions on braking distance, room between his car and another car, etc?

http://martinxa.free.fr/images/mcl1990.JPG

http://208.50.7.92/files/photos/2002...iday/pic21.jpg

Plus, having the cars designed for midgets locks out otherwise excellent drivers like Justin Wilson. Drivers should be born, not bred.

Discussion?

[Edited for picture sizes.]

Last edited by R; 20 Oct 2002 at 21:52.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 02:37 (Ref:407730)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lee, I think its a valid point and its one I hadn't considered. The current seating position with the feet highter than the hips is neccessitated by the raised noses. It plays havoc on their backs, remember Irvines back problems several years ago and I'll bet Sato's slow start in F1 was due to the back problems he suffered.

To your question thaough about the cautiousness of the drivers when near other cars, I suspect its an issuem but no more than the aerodynamic disruption also caused by cars in close proximity. But tall drivers should not be penalized-would Dan Gurney be in F1 today were he to appear on the scene???
Old 19 Oct 2002, 02:50 (Ref:407732)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's doubtful Gurney would have made it today for numerous reasons besides his height... I mean, what are the chances of a guy racing sports cars out in California, getting a ride at LeMans, and suddenly getting hired to drive a works Ferrari?

I agree a huge problem is aerodynamics... But drivers also just seem a lot more timid in slow corners than they were a generation ago.

I know for a fact that for some drivers who try and drive very aggressively and try to compensate for the car getting out of shape, it's crucial that they be able to the apex as they're going into a corner... Drivers like that have been pretty much pushed out of F1, and mostly find their way into sports and touring cars.

I hate to keep coming back to Alesi, but he's the perfect example of a very talented driver who's downright violent driving style just didn't translate to the cars anymore.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 19 Oct 2002 at 02:51.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 03:09 (Ref:407738)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lee, i agree with you on this one.

Specifying a minimum height the helmet is off the ground is a good call.

It would bring benefits in terms of safety (ie in the pit stops), as well as drivers more capable of seeing where their cars are placed on the track.

Also, it benefits the driver's health...once too many we heard drivers complain of persistent back pains, which we have to sympathise them for. A minimum height will, as you point out, provides for greater allowance for tall drivers.

A great "motivation" to evolve the current sitting position to such a lie-down one is because of aerodynamics. With calls for increasing racing by reducing reliance on aero-grip but mechanical ones, the minimum height suggestion can be easily implemented.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 08:57 (Ref:407809)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not a bad idea. I think you would have to combine it with a maximum for the feet, so designers didn't try to bend the driver even more. This could be done by (or have the effect of) getting rid of high noses. Which isn't a bad thing.

It should however be considered. Will it be safer overall? A bit of research by Sid and his safety group would sort this out. I think they like the cockpit surrounds being high up around the drivers head protecting it. In which case maybe it won't happen.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 09:19 (Ref:407815)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
A bit of research by Sid and his safety group would sort this out. I think they like the cockpit surrounds being high up around the drivers head protecting it. In which case maybe it won't happen.
They did and came to precisely that conclusion. That's why the driver appear "hidden" in the cockpit. As for tall driver, that was a necesity. The engineers try to lower the center of gravity, also tall drivers tend to obstruct (with the helmet) the air intake. (remember Berger for example, or Wurz, leaning their heads while on straights and running at full power? They did that to allow more air into the engine) The required position of feets come second.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 09:36 (Ref:407820)   #7
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: A serious suggestion

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

having the cars designed for midgets locks out otherwise excellent drivers like Justin Wilson. Drivers should be born, not bred.
Hear hear!
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 19 Oct 2002, 12:05 (Ref:407894)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Good idea Lee. If the minimum height is specified, the drivers' protection could easily be reinstated by raising the side of the cars.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 17:57 (Ref:408709)   #9
zootv
Rookie

zootv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a very interesting theory and has to be considered. Moreover, the low noses were much more beautiful that the current ones.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 20:34 (Ref:408839)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wurz frequently gets better times that KR and DC - and I read in a magazine feature that despite his extra weight and height the Mclaren carries so much ballast that the nett effect is pretty much identical to a smaller driver.

I have never read anything about any driver complaining that the latest designs make the apex hard to see, or any such.

If this is a thinly disguides appeal for cars which look more like the cars of old (along the lines of many people wishing for wide-track and slicks, or for low noses) then I think that is a more legitimate argument than the clear-vision one. An argument that I disagree with BTW.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 20:41 (Ref:408846)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which argumant do you disagree? the stupid one?

Last edited by ASCII Man; 20 Oct 2002 at 20:42.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 20:53 (Ref:408855)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I disagree with the idea of pandering to nostalgia.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 21:11 (Ref:408868)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
*looking up dictionary*

Oh, yes.. me too..