Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jun 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1630697)   #1
RacingRod
Rookie

United Kingdom
Farnham Surrey
RacingRod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will GTC cars race in British GT in 2007???

The SRO, in their usual non consultation style, have issued a press release that strongly hints that they will be dumping all the long term, loyal, and consistent competitors who have formed the backbone of the series for the last four years, i.e GTC. A number of the existing teams have reacted badly to the potential news as it comes midway through the season and could effect sponsorship deals currently in place. SRO's timing for announcing such fundamental possible changes is ill considered and as it is a strong hint and not a statement of fact, it does nothing but cast a cloud of doubt and worry.

Britcar/EERC have issued a quick reply stating that all existing cup class GT teams will be welcome to race with them in 2007
Old 9 Jun 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1630708)   #2
DriversKnow
Racer

European Union
Staffordshire
DriversKnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunlop are also increasing their commitment to Britcar. See story below:

Dunlop knowledge driving Britcar into pole position as UK's top sportscar series.

Dunlop's continued development of sports car racing tyres is resulting in the Britcar series of races becoming Britain's fastest national sports/GT event.

Britcar caters for an eclectic mix of cars, ranging from German Touring Cars to V8 Star cars but most of the grid is packed with cars similar to those in the British GT championship, such as Ferrari 360s and Porsche 911 GT3s.

These long distance races are a true test of speed and endurance, with the Britcar 24hours at Silverstone being the jewel in the crown for this growing series. Dunlop play a major role in the success of the series, developing tyres that provide sustained performance and safety for these marathon events.

Britcar's claim to being the fastest championship for cars of this type is underlined by the lap times achieved this year compared to rival championships. The British GTC spec Ferrari 360 of Adam Wilcox was a startling 1.5 seconds a lap quicker in Britcar specification on Dunlop tyres at the challenging Oulton Park circuit than the same car and driver on the rival brand tyres used in the British GT series.

Gary Wassell of Dunlop stated: "This performance of the Dunlop race tyres was also underlined by this weekend's British GT championship race at Donington. The best Dunlop lap last year at Donington was 1:07:710. This year the pole position time was 2.5 seconds slower on the rival brand of tyres. This proven performance, combined with Dunlop's renowned durability, looks likely to attract more drivers and teams into Britcar. Drivers and teams want to extract the ultimate performance from these supercars, and it is clear that Dunlop's vast experience in this category, born from 34 wins in the Le Mans 24 hour race, will help increase the reputation of Britcar as the UK's best sports/GT racing series ."

The next Britcar event is on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit on 17/18 June.
Old 9 Jun 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1630748)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i like britcar but if they are to rival british gt they need to get their rear ends in gear, so to speak and get consistant grid numbers, some races you can have great grids but others have very poor ones. also the series will need to take a huge step towards more profesional teams(although its not that hard) and more publicity.
Old 9 Jun 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1630755)   #4
macsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
macsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reply from SRO

A reply from SRO has just been posted on the British GT website. It seems that SRO have not decided to make BGT GT3 only. It appears that DailySportsCar.com added 2 and 2 and got 5!

Here is the release -

Multi-Class British GT Grid Bolstered By GT3

With the phenomenally successful launch of the FIA GT3 European Championship this year, and strong support for the new class at the Donington Park and Pau rounds of the Avon Tyres British GT Championship, it has been suggested that the British GT Championship may become a GT3-only championship in 2007.

SRO is delighted that the GT3 concept has been such an instant success, and strongly believes it will form an integral part of future national GT grids across the world. That said, SRO wish to clarify that based upon current driver and team demand, they are committed to a multi-class British GT Championship.

“Since 2004, SRO has continued to build a strong and healthy multi-class grid, with GT2 and GTC providing action packed, entertaining racing,” said SRO General Manager Bernadette Fitzsimmons. “We have valued relationships with teams from both categories, all of whom have shown a great commitment to the British GT Championship.”

Bernadette Fitzsimmons continued, “This season has seen the successful launch of the FIA GT3 European Championship, with large grids in the two opening races at Silverstone, and 51 cars entered for the full season. From a national perspective, SRO see GT3 becoming a large and important class within the British GT Championship, but so long as support remains strong in other classes, the Avon Tyres British GT Championship will continue to be a multi-class Championship in 2007 and beyond.”

ENDS
Old 9 Jun 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1630789)   #5
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh no they (I) didn't (add 2 and 2 and make 5).
This is what Stephane Ratel said in the newsletter issued last Sunday:
“GT3 will become the standard class in National Championships. I will propose it for the British Championship next year, to go all GT3, and we are working on the concept of GT3 National Championships in a number of countries, and I think it will become very important.”

“We, as SRO, have been instrumental at creating the concept, and will look at the implementation of it in the national championships. If we want it to work, it has to be in the same spirit, with the same regulations. The principal is that none of the national championships would clash with the European one, so that a team can build up a good programme. In the UK, we have already 12 cars which could race at home, with a non-clashing programme, so that is what we are going to push.”

On the same day (today) that dsc posted an item in which GTC entrants voiced their objections, the plan changed at SRO - to include GT2 and GTC again.
MC
Old 9 Jun 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1630820)   #6
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeff, you posted on Ph
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsport
I have just been authorised to issue the following press release by SRO in response to the story on DailySportsCar.com..

...suggested that BGT may become a GT3 only series..
I read the original item and I certainly took it to mean GT2 and GTC would be dropped. I can only presume that the original article had been written in French and translated. If so, it's a poor effort at getting the spirit of what was said - which is what a good translator should do.
Old 9 Jun 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1630844)   #7
RacingRod
Rookie

United Kingdom
Farnham Surrey
RacingRod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ah, !! see how a little pressure on a few websites can produce a definite and proper responce, not withstanding 101 phone calls to the SRO offices all asking what the boss meant. I don't go for the "lost in translation" suggestion, more like, "F**k, all hells broken loose, we better retract our statement"
Old 9 Jun 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1630859)   #8
macsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
macsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsport
It appears that DailySportsCar.com added 2 and 2 and got 5!
I posted this earlier and it was meant as a tongue-in-cheek reply implying that DSC had read too much into Stephane Ratels statement. I never meant it as a serious comment about DSC and I apologise if it has been seen in that light.

Jeff
Old 9 Jun 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1630863)   #9
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
surely british gt could also include an invitational gt 1 class to that way some of the old lister storms could be raced and also some of the 550s and some of the Dodge vipers i know gt1 is quite a lot of money to race in but if they make it an invitational class then teams can chosse which races to enter or which ones not to.

i know that probaly makes no sense but its what i would like to see happen

as to the topic in this thread.

britcar is a brilliant series although i still havnt got round to seeing a race and would be brillaint if they got teams such as team tiger and the trackspeed porsches. but british gt is also worthy of these cars and it would be a shame to see them lost from the series as it needs as much variety as it can at the moment
Old 10 Jun 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1631055)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There already is an invitational class, so theoretically someone could enter something wierd and wonderful, but it's finding a budget to go and race just for fun that is the hurdle.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1631238)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's all very well Dunlop promoting Britcar, but unless it regularly starts involving GT2 and the new GT3 machinery then I'll be in no hurry to see any of it's races. How can it ever call itself a real true sportscar series with so many of it's cars being of such comparatively "low-spec"...?

British GT may not have GT1, but despite an utterly tedious GTC class, it does boast full support for GT2 and GT3, the latter of which I've been very pleasantly surprised by. Let's hope BGT retains it's multi-class status.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1631308)   #12
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a statement on the eerc web site which suggestes that Britcar will go to a championship next year.

Lets have it right. The Britsh GT championship is largely funded by the drivers themselves. The championship offers little opportunity to sponsors with rediculous TV and media for the money spent. To be honest racing in the UK is becoming an absolute joke. I have to admit that the FIA GT3 championship is a fantastic concept and it was very impressive at Silverstone to see so many varied cars. However who is going to want to put that kind of budget into running in the UK?
The only championship that offers any serious sponsor benefits is the BTCC tour (thinking particularly BTCC and Porsche CC).

As rightly stated the British GT championship has been loyaly supported by the GTC class and to issue a sweeping statement which really means selling their existing GTC cars (whoever wants them) and spending a lot more money.

SRO be careful. If the Britcar series goes the way as promised i.e. a championship with regs next year then the Britsh GT could suffer.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1631684)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbo
As rightly stated the British GT championship has been loyaly supported by the GTC class and to issue a sweeping statement which really means selling their existing GTC cars (whoever wants them) and spending a lot more money.

SRO be careful. If the Britcar series goes the way as promised i.e. a championship with regs next year then the Britsh GT could suffer.
I think a similar worry/argument arose when the announcement with Avon tyres came about.

The SRO really enjoys treading a very fine line with British GT, it would seem. BTCC-sized crowds are a possibility if they promote the championship properly. The BGT/F3 package puts on a good day of national motorsport - a lot better than BTCC/Porsche CC in my view. But SRO need to pull their finger out first and do something to benefit teams, sponsors and fans all together...