Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 May 2004, 01:15 (Ref:988778)   #1
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes Thinking

Mercedes must be getting extremely embarassed by the F1 project at the moment. Hardly what I believe they would like to portray as there image particularly, as reliability is touted as one of there road cars "values".

McLaren must be also very agitated by them and I believe that there must be some ultimatums either about to be delivered or being delviered. Very much like McLaren did when Peugeot was the engine supplier.

Will Mercedes do a Peugeot and withdraw from F1 if they cannot get there act together this year. I understand the situation is a little different in the fact that Mercedes have some equity in McLaren. However I am sure there must be some performance clauses and hence penalties for Merc in the contract somewhere.

What does the forum think?
Old 31 May 2004, 01:29 (Ref:988784)   #2
frederick
Rookie

frederick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it really all down to Mercedes?
is the installation of the engine in the Mac a contributing factor?
enough cooling? the right control systems?

I don't know but it seems strange that the engines are suddenly so fragile this year, I know that they made changes for the one engine rule but i would have expected them to blow towards the end of a race not in the first 20 laps or so (or during Friday and Saturday running)
Old 31 May 2004, 01:31 (Ref:988785)   #3
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the race at a friend's on his bigggggggggg screen TV. Then we had a cook out on his new grill.

His wife said the grill has to have a name.
After a brief discussion, it was named Mercedes because of its shiny stainless steel grey appearance and it does light up in flames. lol
Old 31 May 2004, 01:43 (Ref:988789)   #4
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Mercedes Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by 903cc

Will Mercedes do a Peugeot and withdraw from F1 if they cannot get there act together this year. I understand the situation is a little different in the fact that Mercedes have some equity in McLaren. However I am sure there must be some performance clauses and hence penalties for Merc in the contract somewhere.

What does the forum think?
I can't see that situation any time soon. Unlike BMW with Williams, Merc has lot of shares in McLaren.

The thing with Peugeot is they never really made it. Mercedes have won World Championships and they're on their back foot at the moment. The whole point of manufacturers in F1 is to sell road cars. They want to get back on top. They have things to prove.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:13 (Ref:988799)   #5
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year is right up there with their Le Mans campaign! Haven't been back there since.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:17 (Ref:988802)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From all the comments i've seen and also common sense suggests....
they took too many risks in the development and some of them are biting back
Now they can either iron out the problems,start again from scratch or (if they now have a good understanding of the problems) redesign the engine slightly to eliminate the problem areas (using most of the old parts)
Unfortunately none of these options are easy or quick,Adrien Newey suggested it'll be next year before they are equal with others and the year after before thay are king of the heap again....if that's what they want!

All they can do is grin and bear it 'till it's all back on track
But i do think mac will persevere with merc
Old 31 May 2004, 02:19 (Ref:988803)   #7
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant see Mercedes walking away a failure.It would destroy there image so they will hang around and if possible the current problem will be turned into a cleaver marketing tool.

The Grumpy1
Old 31 May 2004, 04:39 (Ref:988843)   #8
Pierre
Rookie

Pierre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The image for Mercedes Benz now is , BANG BANG BANG BANG !!!!!!!? isn,t about time they fixed it. The staff want a vey large and hard kick where it really hurts....May be some very new talent... Their corporate image is ??????????????????????????
Old 31 May 2004, 07:26 (Ref:988887)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fortunately for them, DTM is helping Merc to save their faces.
AFAK F1 is being a source of continuous humiliations.
They are somewhat forced to stay in, but something has to change radically.
I'm really surprised that, whereas FW have replaced patrick Head, at Macs nothing has changed though performances have been 1,000 times worse.
Old 31 May 2004, 07:40 (Ref:988898)   #10
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it all that likely that Mercedes will walk away from Formula One, tail between legs, and let BMW dominate the perception of German motorsport around the world.

Perhaps the man under the most strain is Norbert Haug. He's helped McLaren to two world titles (drivers and constructors) in the late 90s by running Mercedes' Formula One campaigns, but I would have thought his direction would be where Ron and Adrian are directing most of their questions.
Old 31 May 2004, 07:46 (Ref:988901)   #11
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
How much is Mercs fault and how much is the parc ferme thing causing teams to front up with sick engines on race day when they could have been repaired/replaced?,is it just me or has there been a lot more engine failures this season?
Old 31 May 2004, 07:48 (Ref:988902)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The parc ferme rule is the same for everybody; furthermore DC run with a new engine, and had the same problem of Kimi.
Therefore if the merc engine doesn't work, it cannot be at a rule's fault, it simply doesn't work.

Last edited by climb; 31 May 2004 at 07:49.
Old 31 May 2004, 08:11 (Ref:988915)   #13
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is clear that Mercedes is having a problem with the engine and it is the worst in the pack for reliability.

Mercedes has walked away with failure before. Le Mans with the flipper.

I agree it seems strange there is no public reshuffles from Merc.
Old 31 May 2004, 08:28 (Ref:988924)   #14
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a coment on the coverage last night that Martin Whitemarsh CEO of McLaren had now also taken responsibility for Ilmor
Old 31 May 2004, 08:47 (Ref:988942)   #15
Pierre
Rookie

What difference will Martin Whitemarsh make to Ilmor.? Has he got the ability to instill the winning culture into the ILMOR organisation? The culture of this company has a long way to go to be winners again....
Old 31 May 2004, 08:50 (Ref:988945)   #16
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Pierre
What difference will Martin Whitemarsh make to Ilmor.? Has he got the ability to instill the winning culture into the ILMOR organisation? The culture of this company has a long way to go to be winners again....
What just like he is doing a McLaren
Old 31 May 2004, 09:08 (Ref:988972)   #17
Pierre
Rookie

Really what is he doing at Mc Laren .At this time we are unawear where the problem is. Engine or installation in the chassis .What ever is the situation, he is ultimatley responsible for the mistakes...better his hide than mine or yours.....
Old 31 May 2004, 09:54 (Ref:989023)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the main problem with the engines is that the Merc engine guru (can't remember his name, used to work at BMW) and Mario Illien aren't even on speaking terms.

McLaren problems or not, how do you improve and engine system when the two guys in charge of the company making it won't even talk to each other?
Old 31 May 2004, 11:35 (Ref:989136)   #19
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
personally i derive great pleasure from mclaren's current woes.....
Old 31 May 2004, 11:49 (Ref:989152)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Schadenfreude, a noble emotion.
Old 31 May 2004, 12:37 (Ref:989194)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
personally i derive great pleasure from mclaren's current woes.....
As a Tifosi, I'd prefer to see them losing for a fingernail
Old 31 May 2004, 13:44 (Ref:989258)   #22
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have noticed that it always seems to be the left hand bank that fils, Anyone have any ideas why?
Old 31 May 2004, 14:25 (Ref:989291)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not unknown for companies who have previously enjouyed great success to walk away while failing, and return later, stronger - Renault in 1985 and Honda in 1992 for example. Maybe that is what Mercedes should do.

However, not only do they own part of the team, but I suspect they will be looking to later buy it out. Having Martin Whitmarsh moved across might help, because hwe's got a very strong record, but it does mean they'll need to reorganise in the short term, when (like Williams) they urgently need ot focus on on-track matters.
Old 31 May 2004, 14:42 (Ref:989302)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
However, not only do they own part of the team, but I suspect they will be looking to later buy it out. Having Martin Whitmarsh moved across might help, because hwe's got a very strong record, but it does mean they'll need to reorganise in the short term, when (like Williams) they urgently need ot focus on on-track matters.
Exactly. And I think it will happen very soon.
Old 31 May 2004, 18:22 (Ref:989470)   #25
Homer Simpson
Rookie

Homer Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OT, but with a Merc buyout of McLaren, do you suppose a change in top management? Any chance Newey, Dennis, and others would be replaced? Thing is, McLaren is a big diverse organization, and they have other projects beside the F1 team...