Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 10 Oct 2002, 07:23 (Ref:399950)   #1
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flip Flop?

Perhaps some of the drivers from the "low end" IRL teams may find their way to CART....

http://espn.go.com/rpm/2002/1009/1443356.html

Last edited by GoFaster; 10 Oct 2002 at 07:28.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:02 (Ref:400057)   #2
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope they do. TG was only interested in proping them up to make up the numbers. But Cart and Pook would not only help with a bit of proping but also try to grow their teams so they are more successful and become solid runners, not just making up the numbers. With what Cart is offering in trying to look after it's teams right now a move from the IRL to Cart is their best chance.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:46 (Ref:400112)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the racing is good, I don't care where they came from; we will forgive them if they repent and believe!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 11:13 (Ref:400130)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I concur with both. Help the teams along as long as they prove their loyalty and keep the racing good.

And CART would be wise not to let the teams gain too much power and influence like the Penskes and Ganassi's, who just about ruined CART.

Let them go off and now ruin the IRL. With their shoddy management, that series will be gone in a few years.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 11:23 (Ref:400138)   #5
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let them go off and now ruin the IRL. With their shoddy management, that series will be gone in a few years.

Totally agree. Beginning of the end for the IRL with Penske, Ganassi, Andracula going over.

We'll gladly take any IRL teams that want to come across, give them a chance to do some racing rather than working for a stage show.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:16 (Ref:400335)   #6
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Snout

Totally agree. Beginning of the end for the IRL with Penske, Ganassi, Andracula going over.

We'll gladly take any IRL teams that want to come across, give them a chance to do some racing rather than working for a stage show.
Arute is still one of the most uninformed and unsightful writers I've seen on espn.com.

The money grubbing CART defectors will take that series down a long and bumpy road along with partners in crime Honda and Toyota.

I'm still on the fence as to what I think about a few (if any) smaller IRL teams coming to CART. At least we can say they're making a smart decision, so good for them.

If the Bernie/Pook deal comes to fruition you'll probably see a lot of teams banging down the door. The hard looks from Pollack, ORECA, Super Nova, and Johanssen will quickly turn into pressure on sponsors to get in on the deal before the 22 car grid is filled.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 17:17 (Ref:400496)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure having the "also rans" from the IRL in CART would be a good thing. In fact, I'm sure it wouldn't. If Pook stays with his comments that he's looking for quality not quantity there are very few teams if any that are being squeezed out of the IRL that could meet CART's quality criteria.

Last edited by Flatspot; 10 Oct 2002 at 17:22.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 18:13 (Ref:400540)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
True 'nuff, Flatspot. Not only the quality of the drivers, but it extends to the quality of the crew and engineering staff.

The important thing is that Foyt and Cheever stay away!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 18:57 (Ref:400571)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eh, I'd even be happy to have Foyt back! That'd _really_ cut Tony's legs out from under him!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 10 Oct 2002 at 19:02.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 20:37 (Ref:400652)   #10
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Flatspot. If they want to switch, let them go to Outlaws.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 22:58 (Ref:400748)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But some of them may be Jean Alesi in disguise -- good drivers hampered by rancid cars in a configuration that does not suit their style. Give them a chance, I say.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 01:18 (Ref:400781)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are any of the smaller teams that left CART for the IRL in 1996 still in existence?
Old 11 Oct 2002, 13:31 (Ref:401143)   #13
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hell. Welcome them to the fold. Even if they are back markers, it would be good for the racing, bringing more traffic and those 12 second leads back to the pack. Plus I would love to see George Mack in a Champ car.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 18:35 (Ref:401338)   #14
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't say they wouldn't be welcome, provided, they are within the best 18-20 teams available. I agree with the quality not quantity objective to get CART turned around.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 23:40 (Ref:401552)   #15
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few of the original IRL teams will survive, especially if they have good sponsors. Chocolate Chip will make sure of that. With Hemelgarn's sponsor Coors going to chipper's team hemelgarn may have to close his doors for all but Indy. Lazier is said to be looking elsewhere for a ride. the way this thing is going to go by 2004 they'll be struggling to get enough cards to fill the grid.I felt after the way TG trated Tracy's appeal that he'd signed the death warrant of his little empire. What goes around, comes around...