Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 31 May 2002, 10:23 (Ref:301257)   #1
Kalevi
Rookie

Finland
Kalevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 is on drugs?

Just read an news article @pitpass.com that concerned possibilities for Tomas Scheckter to return to F1. This one particular argument sounded very unexpected and confusing to me:

Quote:
part of the article:
... In 2001, and with a Jaguar test in his pocket it looked as though Tomas was heading for the big time. However a moment of off-track silliness meant that Jaguar dropped him like a hot potato, typical F1™ hypocrisy when you consider that one team boss is a known user of cocaine!...
Does this mean that boss of Jaguar is a known user of cocaine or one team boss in F1 is a known cocaine user? Who?

Maybe you guys and girls have discussed this here before but I personally haven't ever before heard that at least one team is run under leadership of a hard drug user. Could somebody either verify or deny this very disturbing argument.

What do you think? I hope this is just somebody making a very bad joke.
Old 31 May 2002, 10:38 (Ref:301281)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well, I have to warn anyone that answers that I'll delete it. Unfortunatley, this 'legally speaking' would put us in a spot of bother.

As for your answer, it is most likely specualtion, or a grudge. But who knows, it's very possible. When you think of all the names, should'nt be too hard to guess either.
Old 31 May 2002, 11:18 (Ref:301326)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I don't know or care who it is. But cocaine is very commonplace in big money circles. So what?
Old 31 May 2002, 12:10 (Ref:301383)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm guessing here, but I would think "supermodel" for a hidden clue?

The article suggests it's a team principle, not Jaguars principle.
Old 31 May 2002, 12:47 (Ref:301440)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
...cocaine is very commonplace in big money circles. So what?
Well, the law is the law. Why was Scheckter dropped for his dalliance with a prostitute if not for legal reasons? Optics? Are you saying that F1 would look bad for association with prostitutes but ok for association with drug dealers? Or is it just that the juniors should earn their stripes before flouting the law?

FWIW, I think that drug use is a medical issue, not a legal one, and that North American law is a joke on this matter. But I also think it's ridiculous to criminalize the "world's oldest profession." If it doesn't go away when it's illegal, it's clearly here to stay. It's up to society to then find a way to make it safer for those involved and those affected, I say.

But, as Socrates would say, "I know nothing except that I know nothing."
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 31 May 2002, 12:49 (Ref:301441)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
...The article suggests it's a team principle, not Jaguars principle.
And a highly principalled group they be!

(Sorry, couldn't help the spelling post)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 31 May 2002, 12:56 (Ref:301454)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Cheers Paul, must get the dictionery out next time. Maybe we should ask Craig to instal a spell-check to ten-tenths lol
Old 31 May 2002, 13:05 (Ref:301463)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that it is.....Ooops, can't say for legal reasons
Old 31 May 2002, 13:32 (Ref:301507)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Well, I don't know or care who it is. But cocaine is very commonplace in big money circles. So what?
No excuse. It's an illegal drug. Whoever it is should be caught and put in rehab!!
Old 31 May 2002, 14:25 (Ref:301570)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Official word of caution here. I've just removed a post that names an alleged drug-taker. Such speculation is not going to stand on this site.
Old 31 May 2002, 15:25 (Ref:301625)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about death sentances for drug dealers?

They are the real scum of the earth.
Old 31 May 2002, 16:07 (Ref:301692)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they didn't have any customers, they'd go out of business. Paul Collins is right on this one -- if people want it, people will sell it. Which doesn't mean it makes sense to use it, sell it, or legalize it [the "traction control" excuse: if we can't police it we have to legalize it. Phooey.]

But unless you've seen someone yourself using or selling, you'd better not speculate. Besides getting sued by an innocent man, you may get on the 'hit list' of a guilty one!
Old 31 May 2002, 16:19 (Ref:301719)   #13
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Paul Collins comments without exception; what a luxury of efficiency it is to be able to write that about another post!

As for death sentances [sic] for dealers, paulzinho, I don't quite get the connection to the discussion; nobody so far as I know has suggested that a team principal is a dealer!

Anyway, a more productive approach, obviously, is to drag their brains out through their nostrils with a boat-hook (in the most humanely rehabilitative way, of course), sell off the widows and orphans, and go into South American zinc.

Last edited by Bibendum; 31 May 2002 at 16:20.
Old 31 May 2002, 16:23 (Ref:301723)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bibendum

As for death sentances [sic] for dealers, paulzinho, I don't quite get the connection to the discussion; nobody so far as I know has suggested that a team principal is a dealer!
It was just in response to some suggestions of rehab for users. Sorry for any confusion!
Old 31 May 2002, 16:34 (Ref:301730)   #15
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wow....
this thread is so seventies....
it's so seventies....
i can almost begin to remember where i was....

yes....it cindy sherman's thirtyith birthday party...
a man who was famous in the 60's is trying to get past security.

it's uncomfortable.

im swizziling wild turkey......it soothes the coke jitters.
Old 31 May 2002, 20:29 (Ref:301843)   #16
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaaah Botsquad, maybe one line too many my friend?
Old 31 May 2002, 22:58 (Ref:301952)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
if people want it, people will sell it. Which doesn't mean it makes sense to ... legalize it
Just can't help noting this statement from a libertarian... not that this is a political discussion or The Gravel Trap or anything...

Anyways... watch your steps in this thread, ladies and gents - we might have to pull it if comments become unsuitable.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 00:26 (Ref:302043)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
How about death sentances for drug dealers?

They are the real scum of the earth.
Actually Paul, it was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment because that's all they ever seem to do with drug users - put them in rehab.

Now as for the dealers, I don't think that can be dicussed on a family forum. I can think of quite a few acts to perform on them that should not be seen in public.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 14:35 (Ref:302335)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
For me at least, drugs are an evil in this world that will never go away.
Legalisation could be the key, but would that increase useage?
All in all I think that if there has been a team member using drugs, it is doube-standards.
Variables in this case are few and far between its either legal or illegal.
In any case surely this is a matter for the police authorities and not for anyone like the FIA to do anything with.
Only the person in question can answer to this, if you read between the lines and look deeper into the hidden subtext, you may find out who it is.

Any clues??
Old 1 Jun 2002, 14:39 (Ref:302338)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone mentions any names, it will be deleted. This is a serious matter.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 15:00 (Ref:302343)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
If this team boss is a known user, why isn't anything happening to that person involved????
Old 1 Jun 2002, 18:28 (Ref:302434)   #22
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does it really matter ?
Old 1 Jun 2002, 19:21 (Ref:302455)   #23
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
not really, we all know roughly who it could be but hey, c'est la vie. it was commonplace in the eighties everywhere and i guess its still popular in the glamour and glitz of F1 and big business.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 2 Jun 2002, 08:08 (Ref:302680)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I dont think this thread is really going anywhere. So the lock goes on. *click*