Old 27 Aug 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1079168)   #1
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Morgan Aero 8, Like, Love or Loathe it?

How do you all rate the Morgan Aero 8 ?
A friends amazed me, by turning up in a used 2002 one. Rechons it cost him 2/3 new price.

Basic spec is:

Cost new circa £60,000 sterling
Radical all aluminium chassis and coachwork
BMW Z8 286bhp V8 + 6 speed
Kerb weight 1000Kg (less than a Mini Cooper)
Air con, leather std.
Leaky rag top and virtually no rear ward vision.
Works car entered Le mans this year but sadly didn't complete enough laps to be classed as finisher

After having driven the thing, I have to say I couldn't have been more wrong about what this car actually offers.
How do you all view this car and what does it say about the driver. Also why are used values so low ( for a Morgan)?
Old 27 Aug 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1079173)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you want a "characterful" British sports car, it's possibly the ultimate choice. Clearly not short on performance, and pretty exclusive.

But I'm afraid I still can't get past that cross-eyed front end.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1079406)   #3
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, I'd rather have more classical looking Roadster with Ford 3 liter Duratec V6 - same as in ST220 Mondeo.

http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio.../id/?id=120516

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 27 Aug 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1079497)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as looks go, it's great from the back and from the side (Although I'd put a larger window in the hood.... but then again hoods are for wimps.....) but the front just looks plain wrong- it looks as if its dirven into something!!
I'd love to have a drive in one, and several other Morgans for comparason!
Old 29 Aug 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1080537)   #5
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually driving the car was the revelation. The integrity of the chassis is what stikes you most. It's so stiff no rattles at all, corners flat, despite no a/r bars.. Lazy V8 is like an auto. Doesn't realy neeed the confusing (initially) six speed manual.
Cockpit is pointlessly cramped.It's very very difficult to judge cars width, everything falls away and theres virtually no rearward vision as you have observed. Also theres no body protection, so parallel parking might be difficult and possibly embarrassing.
Otherwise I really envy the owner. MIne would have the Le Mans hardtop though, for evryday use.
I think the cars good enough as a GT in it's own right, not just as a ragtop.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1080636)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The car is great bar one thing those dammned headlights - they are just misplaced
Old 11 Sep 2004, 00:55 (Ref:1092438)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car IMO is a pretty good all round car, a bit on the ugly side but well its British and is pretty fast. Still, if u gave me a choice between a Morgan and a Caterham R400, id go for the Caterham every time.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1092669)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not ugly at all - different. Yeh, I like it.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1093015)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it looks great actually, even the headlights look quite good.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1103770)   #10
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crazy talk!!

I'm sure the car is very good and I'm glad they're making it, but the car is too ugly for words. The back is bad, but the front end takes the biscuit. I seem to recall someone describing it as the early Plus 8 which had been heated to melting point (ignore the wood factor here!) and then driven straight into a tree. Sounds about right to me.

If I had £60,000 to spend, I expect there would be 100 cars I'd rather buy.

But, as I said, none of that prevents it from being good to drive. It does have a decent engine, after all....
Old 5 Oct 2004, 23:44 (Ref:1116459)   #11
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it looks cross eyed !!!

Simon.

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"
Old 16 Oct 2004, 10:39 (Ref:1125866)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An Australian motoring journalist nicknamed it "Clarence the cross-eyed Lion." I think he hit the nail right on the head.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1125869)   #13
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i like the aero 8 ..

Ciao Marco
Old 16 Oct 2004, 23:06 (Ref:1126295)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, thank god i'm not the only one....
Old 21 Oct 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1130521)   #15
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time I saw it I thought it was the uggliest motor on the planet (at least until Renault face-lifted the Megane), but now I quite like it. It may be wierd but at least it stands out.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 21:32 (Ref:1134264)   #16
Carse
Racer

Carse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If i was going to buy a £60k british sports car, mine would be of the 3 ltr. twin turbo noble variety, and i would spend the change on new brakes and tires for a track day!
Old 27 Oct 2004, 15:08 (Ref:1137868)   #17
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a really nice Aero 8 up on Ebay in a few weeks time, expect to pay a little more than 60K though, upwards of 150K might secure it.

Fully race prepared, for Le Mans, no less, the 2004 race care is being put up for auction. 4.5l BMW V8 465bhp at 6800 powering about 1100kg. Expect to reach 190mph very quickly !

Race engine costs about 70K and will last (hopefully) 30 hours, so you could drive it to Sarthe, race it and limp home.

I was going to put in a bid but there is nowhere for the shopping to go !

Simon
Old 31 Oct 2004, 15:15 (Ref:1141288)   #18
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well as its built local for me (in the same county) I love it !!!!, everyone says it looks ugly but i like it (stone me to death now !!!) its fast its cool and id love one on my drive just to annoy my neighbour with his lancer evo 5.