Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Nov 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3164655)   #1
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did post about this a few days ago HERE. Seems as though one team has taken this issue to the FIA for clarification.

Being new here, I have to say the F1 forums is cluttered with a new thread started for just about anything in the news. Would be so much better to have all F1 related news, announcements, etc in just the one thread. A 'F1 2012 discussion thread' or like. And possibly make it a sticky?? 2012 is almost done anyway, but maybe someone could start one for 2013?? Just a thought.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3164656)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it doesn't tend to work because then you never get any new threads and when there's more than one news story it's really hard to follow.

nice idea though
Old 8 Nov 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3164657)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
I did post about this a few days ago HERE. Seems as though one team has taken this issue to the FIA for clarification.

Being new here, I have to say the F1 forums is cluttered with a new thread started for just about anything in the news. Would be so much better to have all F1 related news, announcements, etc in just the one thread. A 'F1 2012 discussion thread' or like. And possibly make it a sticky?? 2012 is almost done anyway, but maybe someone could start one for 2013?? Just a thought.
I'm not sure it would work. One thread for all news, just because it's news... would be something like a billboard, and would not promote discussion, make it hard to follow what one is talking about and so on...
Old 8 Nov 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3164658)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I'm not sure it would work. One thread for all news, just because it's news... would be something like a billboard, and would not promote discussion, make it hard to follow what one is talking about and so on...
I do think that the mods should give some consideration to more actively merging threads when they are virtually the same. It happens at times but should happen more often.

It is also good when someone takes the time to reopen a relevant old thread as it then gives a bit of a history and context. Not a crime to look for and open an old thread - in my book anyway.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 00:44 (Ref:3164659)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I do think that the mods should give some consideration to more actively merging threads when they are virtually the same. It happens at times but should happen more often.

It is also good when someone takes the time to reopen a relevant old thread as it then gives a bit of a history and context. Not a crime to look for and open an old thread - in my book anyway.
We think that the person who starts a new thread should first take a *LQQK* before stating new threads so that it cuts down on the amount of work we have to do..
Old 9 Nov 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3164660)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We do this, but it's common sense in the staff that we should do it only when really needed. Usually the thread starter would claim that there's a difference between the threads and he wanted specifically to discuss a point. Anyway, any member can request a merge and we'll take a look and decide for the best.

Quote:
Do you mean a thread that is closed ? Because unless a thread was closed, anyone can post in the relevant thread, no matter how old it is.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3164661)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the thing with merging is that if the discussion has happened at the same time in two places then it merges the two threads together, and the thread of the discussion is completely lost. sometimes it's just easier to let them drift in different directions - particularly if they were started to discuss different points and topics - rather than merge them into one.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3164662)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
We think that the person who starts a new thread should first take a *LQQK* before stating new threads so that it cuts down on the amount of work we have to do..
What do you think you are paid to do?

To be fair any thread on the same subject will be merged. Different topics won't as we don't want to stifle any aspect. That is the users job.

Sorry MGDavid, you make a valid point. I'll tidy the thread...
Old 9 Nov 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3164663)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This was split from here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135518
Old 9 Nov 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3164666)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:

Hello 321Go

It strikes me that a reason your post wasn't picked up on and discussed was because it was in a general thread with lots of different news and topics.

Thanks for the feedback, I've split this off to allow more feedback without ruining the previous thread.

Last edited by Adam43; 9 Nov 2012 at 23:05.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3164753)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Good move !
Old 10 Nov 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3164792)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Do you mean a thread that is closed ? Because unless a thread was closed, anyone can post in the relevant thread, no matter how old it is.
Had not thought of those Bon!

Possibly better for all concerned if some of those stay closed!

Pity because some of the valid and not abusive posts are removed from the new discussion, but a fresh start is probably better for all.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3164793)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Does this mean that I can still keep digging up those old 'budget cap' threads?
Old 10 Nov 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3164797)   #14
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Does this mean that I can still keep digging up those old 'budget cap' threads?
Only if you merge them into 1 giant thread.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 01:49 (Ref:3164800)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What do you think you are paid to do?
Sorry master, I am beating myself with a rose bush as I type this with my third arm..
Old 10 Nov 2012, 02:47 (Ref:3164819)   #16
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Sorry master, I am beating myself with a rose bush as I type this with my third arm..
Prehensile tail I believe its called!

Very useful!
Old 10 Nov 2012, 02:57 (Ref:3164821)   #17
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've often thought some of our members probably have tails.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3164860)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
A 'F1 2012 discussion thread' or like. And possibly make it a sticky?? 2012 is almost done anyway, but maybe someone could start one for 2013?? Just a thought.
Sorry, but this is a terrible idea. The thread would become so complicated that everyone would easily lose track. Say for instance a post is about Force India, someone replies but mentions Sauber, a reply comes in which mentions Ferrari, this leads onto Alonso, which leads onto Vettel which leads onto Red Bull. Within 20 or so posts, the Force India point that someone was trying to make has been forgotten about.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3164862)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Quote:

I have noticed, on numerous occasions, an old thread is bought back to life, only for the mods to close it virtually straight away, not sure if that's what Mr Nut is refering to?
Old 10 Nov 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3164867)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
blegh, i think when it comes to digging up seriously old threads it's best to start a new one and link to the old one. history is good to have yeah, but i think using the same thread just confuses things.

it's good to hear what people think about forum housework. it's the sort of thing there's no set in stone rules on so if anybody has any ideas on how to organise things a little better or even any ideas for encouraging discussion then we're always open to hearing them
Old 10 Nov 2012, 13:16 (Ref:3164882)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
blegh, i think when it comes to digging up seriously old threads it's best to start a new one and link to the old one. history is good to have yeah, but i think using the same thread just confuses things.
Agree 100% bella.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 13:56 (Ref:3164888)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
the F1 forums is cluttered with a new thread started for just about anything in the news. Would be so much better to have all F1 related news, announcements, etc in just the one thread
I think that the current system is great. It allows people to rant, er, I mean, discuss specific subjects without interfering each other.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3164901)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I have noticed, on numerous occasions, an old thread is bought back to life, only for the mods to close it virtually straight away, not sure if that's what Mr Nut is refering to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

it's good to hear what people think about forum housework. it's the sort of thing there's no set in stone rules on so if anybody has any ideas on how to organise things a little better or even any ideas for encouraging discussion then we're always open to hearing them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Agree 100% bella.
Exactly. Bringing a very old thread is confusing, that's why usually is closed, I meant for those who are recent, a few weeks or so.
On the other hand, remember that we like that the forum flows at its own pace and mood. The mods will only interfere in case of breaking the rules or to make sure that things are running smoothly.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3165030)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Exactly. Bringing a very old thread is confusing, that's why it's usually closed.
I know people sometimes find it confusing, but a look at the thread date or scrolling down a few posts for the things referred to sorts that.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3165032)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I know people sometimes find it confusing, but a look at the thread date or scrolling down a few posts for the things referred to sorts that.
Thanks for the tip ! Let's put it in the FAQ. It will solve any trouble with old threads, right ?