rubaru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winner?
Old 8 Jan 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3603186)   #27
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Iceman13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad to see how diverse your entries have been. So here's a few words about each of them.

AoB: Effective job ironing out the unnecessary twists with fairly simple ideas. I feel like some corners could still use some opening up, but all in all very much what I was looking for.

SKG: Probably the most original effort of the bunch. Very drastic change whilst still retaining some character of the original. Looks like a blast to race on.

rubaru: This must be most like what I would have done to the track myself. Keeping the basic layout fairly intact, but smoothing out the worst bits. Pit lane solution and top most corners runoff do look quite hazardous though.

Szisz: For sure the most efficient design here. Overall flow would surely be vastly improved, but not too sure about if it helps to create better racing.

SBF: I really like the way you connected different parts of the original to create something that looks so very different. (can't say I'm surprised about the direction change ) This would indeed be easier to overtake on. Still I feel like it would have benefitted of having a fast corner somewhere.

Very hard decision to make, since I wish that I could take the best bits of every design and mash them together. This time I'll have to go with rubaru, because the overall concept is a very nice compromise of all the criteria I set. Just few tweaks to a couple of spots (mainly the area around the pit lane) and it would be my ideal Kymi Ring.
Old 11 Jan 2016, 14:28 (Ref:3603723)   #28
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Thanks for the win, Iceman13 ! And sorry about the delay getting back to the forum. Sometimes the weekend is the hardest time for me to get online. I completely understand what you mean about the pit lane, as I was struggling myself to find a way to get in there while retaining a reasonable amount of runoff heading into the final corner. I'm going to think a little on my next challenge for you and post something in about 3-4 hours.
Old 11 Jan 2016, 16:41 (Ref:3603754)   #29
rubaru
Rookie

United States
I'm a big fan of laying out street circuits, but this doesn't seem to be popular here. So, I'll take a stab at a road course.

After a 45-year break, the Canadian Grand Prix is returning to Mont Tremblant. How unfortunate it is, though, that the Riviere du Diable has decided to flood the eastern portion of the circuit. This blue line indicates what remains of the track:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6765683

Your task is to layout a new circuit, using as much of the original as possible, so that racing can continue at this location. Minimum length shall be 4.0km. The area eligible for your layout is shown within these boundaries:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6765686

You have a pretty healthy budget, considering all the insurance money you just got, but you don't have a lot of time for construction. Anything goes so long as the remaining track is incorporated into your design. I'll announce a winner at Noon EST on Thursday!
Old 11 Jan 2016, 21:16 (Ref:3603816)   #30
Szisz
Rookie

Szisz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Unfortunately, I accidentally closed the GMap tab before saving the route, so I won't be able to link it in. Very sorry about that.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 00:13 (Ref:3603854)   #31
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6779505
Attached Thumbnails
Mont Tremblant F1.png  
Old 14 Jan 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3604790)   #32
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Ok this one goes to AoB. Nice flow to the track and it somewhat resembles the original. Szisz, I couldn't wrap my head around how to make that bridge work. It's a cool idea, but I think it's too tight for the elevation change.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3604879)   #33
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didn't have time this week to even have a good look at this one.

Onwards with the next, I should have time over the weekend.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 04:12 (Ref:3604921)   #34
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After much indecisiveness, the next challenge shall be:

The Cape Town ePrix

typical ~2-3.5 km Formula E circuit length

As per normal, no purpose built sections for FE, but the airport or city streets are fair game (or maybe even the docks, doubt there's room)

Mind the length of straights, track width, etc.

Try to avoid dodgy areas and residential areas, but not obligatory.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 17:28 (Ref:3605121)   #35
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Cape Town Castle of Good Hope ePrix circuit at 3.0km. Ignore the distance markers...I've decide the S/F line should be along Newmarket St on the north side of the castle..somewhere around the 1km marker. This is a pretty wide boulevard and should also provide plenty of space for the pits.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6781644

Last edited by rubaru; 15 Jan 2016 at 17:33.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 12:31 (Ref:3605635)   #36
Szisz
Rookie

This was a surprisingly difficult challenge, and it took me a long time to come up with anything.

First I tried this one, but at just over four kilometres, its a bit long for Formula E, and even they might find it just a little too twisty.

Then I tried this one, but ruled it out on the grounds that encircling the hospital with a race circuit wouldn't be very bright.

Then I tried this one, which would be a visually stunning circuit, but the roads are barely wide enough for two cars to go next to each other, let alone to overtake at 150 mph.

Eventually, I settled on this one, the Seapoint Street Circuit, which makes the most of stunning sea views and a very handy bit of pit lane-shaped road.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3605721)   #37
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd like to put something around the Green Hill stadium complex, the big plazas are narrowed by bollards down to 2 cars wide which is too narrow. To use the roads themselves would eat up the distance in no time.
Attached Thumbnails
Capetown.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 17 Jan 2016 at 21:30.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 15:09 (Ref:3605946)   #38
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I'd like to put something around the Green Hill stadium complex, the big plazas are narrowed by bollards down to 2 cars wide which is too narrow. To use the roads themselves would eat up the distance in no time.
Bollards are typically pretty easy to remove, with the right equipment. I would say go ahead and design something cool all over those plazas and parking lots. Plenty of pavement around (and inside!) that stadium...go for it. Just watch out for the trees. Those aren't typically as easy to put back in the ground.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 03:41 (Ref:3606464)   #39
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubaru View Post
Bollards are typically pretty easy to remove, with the right equipment. I would say go ahead and design something cool all over those plazas and parking lots. Plenty of pavement around (and inside!) that stadium...go for it. Just watch out for the trees. Those aren't typically as easy to put back in the ground.
+1
Old 22 Jan 2016, 15:56 (Ref:3607135)   #40
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Do we have a winner?
Old 22 Jan 2016, 22:00 (Ref:3607224)   #41
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
GO ahead and pick a winner...work has got in the way of track design these last few weeks and probably the next few as well
Old 23 Jan 2016, 02:48 (Ref:3607249)   #42
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
been a rather busy week for me, apologies.

Both tracks had a straight that would put FE cars into their limiters, but...

rubaru: Excepting for the missing chicane to the 800m straight, the only issues are a small bottleneck on Chapel into Keizersgracht and the corners on Castle are somewhat weird.

Szisz: While I like the idea (Punta much), the necessary chicane on the long straight would be tighter, but more importantly, the penultimate corner would be a substantially threat of spinning and the road there is barely as wide as the Spark is long. Also, the pit-out is a shonky thing indeed.

Winner is rubaru
Old 25 Jan 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3607871)   #43
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Apologies all - Not sure if the news was only local, or if the whole world heard about it, but my region (Mid-Atlantic USA), was hit by a rather large snow storm this weekend. All my efforts went into digging out so I could drive to work today! I'll check back in a couple hours to post a good and unique challenge.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 18:07 (Ref:3607902)   #44
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Alright let's change it up a bit. This is not a street circuit. I want to see a completely purpose-built facility on this unused land on the outskirts of Havana, Cuba.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6767284

You own this land, so existing buildings and roads inside this boundary can be destroyed or retained at your discretion.

Your criteria are:
1) Have fun and go a little nuts.
2) Circuit shall be over 5.5km in length and somewhere around 16-20 turns.
3) If you can, show me a pit lane / paddock. Otherwise, define it in your text.
4) Do NOT give me a Tilke-drome. Think Suzuka, Monza, Spa, Silverstone, Montreal for your inspiration.

Deadline will be Thursday Noon EST (1700 GMT?)
Old 27 Jan 2016, 03:49 (Ref:3608333)   #45
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6788099

I think the pit area is rather obvious. Also, this area is a landfill. Do note the elevation changes, not major but apparently we have a Bahrain bump in T16.

[Won't be back until Thursday or Friday (time zones are annoying me)]
Old 27 Jan 2016, 22:51 (Ref:3608564)   #46
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have attached my design for a circuit near Havana.

The first one is the overall track that can be divided into 2 smaller tracks ( Red & Blue) with a central paddock and 2 pitlanes. There are no actual straights so I have divided the track into coloured sections to help identify the different parts.

The light gray bits are long curves.
The yellow section features a series of fast left right curves that rise and fall,they should offer a challenge to man and machine.
The red section starts with an uphill part into a blind right followed by a curve to the left and the features a blind down hill left.
The orange piece features a tight left followed by a right left that should be good for overtaking.
The brown piece has a quick uphill right followed by a slower down hill left.
In the blue section there is right into a hairpin that will make choosing braking points difficult.
The light green section has a multiple apex left that are both slow and fast and should present a challenge to drivers.
The purple piece is a fast section that links the tracks.

The area opposite the main start finish appears to be higher than the pits and should offer good spectator viewing down into pits and the yellow section.
Attached Thumbnails
HavanaTrack 12 tarmac.png   HavanaTrack 12 Red & Blue.png   HavanaTrack 12 sections.png  

Old 28 Jan 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3608695)   #47
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Any more interest?

@ScotsBrutesFan
@Szisz
@Iceman13
@SKG
@Yannick
@bio
@LuiggiSpeed
Old 28 Jan 2016, 16:55 (Ref:3608733)   #48
Szisz
Rookie

I'm interested, but pretty sure I can't even come close to that previous entry
Old 28 Jan 2016, 17:39 (Ref:3608745)   #49
rubaru
Rookie

United States
This one is going to @wolfhound

Although not specifically asked for, I appreciate seeing three different layouts that could fit into this small piece of land. I think the curvies are a little excessive and lacking on straight bits for speed, but certainly it will challenge a driver's technical abilities.

Your turn to make up a challenge!
Old 28 Jan 2016, 19:42 (Ref:3608799)   #50
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is a challenge. MSV recently bought an ex military airbase in France your challange is to design the track. In order to make it financially viable it will need to be able race circuit, school and track days etc. Include the pitlane(s) and paddock(s).
Here is the site co-ordinates.
49.629634, 3.539293

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/49°37'46.7"N+3°32'21.4"E/@49.629634,3.5371043,706m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

This should be the pedometer link

current route: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6789806

Last edited by wolfhound; 28 Jan 2016 at 20:05.