Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Sep 2020, 10:37 (Ref:4000193)   #3526
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton Formula 5000 26.5.75

Whit Monday 1975. Tammy Wynette is number one with 'Stand By Your Man' and the Formula 5000 gang are visiting Thruxton. Ian Ashley repeats his victory from the previous May, an early scrap with David Purley ending when Purley retired on the eighth lap. Teddy Pilette finished second with Guy Edwards fighting back to finish third after an incident on the first lap.

Pictured are Ian Ashley (Lola T330) leading David Purley (Chevron B30), Teddy Pilette (Lola T400) with Patrick Sumner (Trojan T101) behind about to retire, Guy Edwards (Lola T332) leading Tony Dean (Chevron B28), Tom Belso (Lola T330)finished fourth, ex Skoda Supersaloon driver John Turner (Lola T330) about to be lapped by Peter Gethin (Lola T400) and Derek Bell (Chevron B28) sliding out of the Chicane before retiring with a water leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Ian Ashley F5000 26.5.75.jpg   F5000 26.5.75 Teddy Pilette.jpg   F5000 26.5.75 Guy Edwards.jpg  

Tom Belso F5000 26.5.75.jpg   F5000 26.5.75 John Turner.jpg   F5000 26.5.75 Derek Bell.jpg  

Old 5 Sep 2020, 10:39 (Ref:4000195)   #3527
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They were fantastic to watch especially up through Allard where they would bottom the suspension on the exit.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 11:00 (Ref:4000199)   #3528
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Thruxton 26.5.75 Sports cars

Main supporting race to the Formula 5000s was the 'BARC Sportchallenge 500 Race' which attracted an eclectic entry consisting of two McLaren Can Am cars, a Ford GT40, the de Cadanet Lola Ford Le Mans (aka Lola T380), several European 2 Litre Group 5 Sports cars, some Motoring News Special GT refugees and a supreme optimist, Leigh Davis, in a one litre Ginetta G4 ! Don't remember too much about the race but it was won by John Lepp in his Roger Heavens Racing Lola while Alain de Cadanet qualified third and finished sixth.

The first picture is John Lepp (Lola T294) early in the race leading Alain de Cadanet (de Cadanet Lola) and Jon Sheldon (Lola T294), then Martin Raymond (Chevron B26/31) who finished second, Antonio De Castro Prado (March 75S) who was fourth lapping Leigh Davis' Ginetta G4, the de Cadanet on it's way to sixth, John Jordan's McLaren M8E and finally Malcolm Clube's McLaren M1C.
Attached Thumbnails
Sports 26.5.75 John Lepp.jpg   Sports 26.5.75 Martin Raymond.jpg   Sports 26.5.75 A de C Prado.jpg  

Sports 26.5.75 Alain de Cadanet.jpg   Sports 26.5.75 John Jordan.jpg   Sports 26.5.75 Malcolm Clube.jpg  

Old 5 Sep 2020, 11:04 (Ref:4000201)   #3529
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Thruxton Formula 5000 26.5.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
They were fantastic to watch especially up through Allard where they would bottom the suspension on the exit.
They certainly were Peter. These pictures were taken from the old scaffold terracing just after the Chicane which would rattle and vibrate every time the cars came past. It sometimes seems difficult to believe it actually happened !
Old 5 Sep 2020, 11:55 (Ref:4000213)   #3530
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Dont you think there are many differences between a Lola and a de Cadenet? I remember sitting at the infirmerie with de Cadenet himself before Q at Le Mans and he made things clear about that. I did appreciated his great sense of humor too…
Old 5 Sep 2020, 13:50 (Ref:4000252)   #3531
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fabulous shots.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 13:56 (Ref:4000253)   #3532
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
The de Cadanet-Lola-Le-Mans-Ford (as it appeared in the programme) was, as far as I am aware, making it's debut at Thruxton that day. de Cadanet bought the car from Lola and that day it was a Lola T380 although doubtless subsequent chassis were modified from the original design. Other than the original chassis, later monocoques were built by Thomson.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 14:05 (Ref:4000255)   #3533
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Thanks for the compliment Belmondo, these shots from the seventies were taken by my brother Colin. How did you get on with the Castle Combe Autumn Classic car clubs ?
Old 5 Sep 2020, 17:49 (Ref:4000291)   #3534
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
And yes I know de Cadenet is spelled with two es. Never copy anything from a programme without checking it first....
Old 5 Sep 2020, 18:26 (Ref:4000296)   #3535
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
No worry we didn't notice before you say it. Well barely…
At Le Mans, de Cadenet told me he didn't like the Lola chassis/ rear suspension considering it was not the best possible. Laughing at my youth he told me I had better go home rather than driving one!
Old 5 Sep 2020, 19:04 (Ref:4000298)   #3536
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Are you sure its Thomson who made his chassis or more likely Thompson?
Old 5 Sep 2020, 19:58 (Ref:4000301)   #3537
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good – thanks for the info. Not done so yet but I THINK I can get tickets through one of the clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Thanks for the compliment Belmondo, these shots from the seventies were taken by my brother Colin. How did you get on with the Castle Combe Autumn Classic car clubs ?
Old 6 Sep 2020, 07:24 (Ref:4000356)   #3538
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Are you sure its Thomson who made his chassis or more likely Thompson?
Yes Gerard you are quite right it should have been Thompson. Funnily I looked it up before I posted the pictures and still got it wrong ! I guess the eyes see what they want to see. And looking at the picture of the de Cadenet again I notice it's name is written in big white letters across it's nose !
Old 6 Sep 2020, 09:22 (Ref:4000371)   #3539
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thompson and Thomson. For Gerard it's Dupont and Dupond. Someone has been sneaking a peek at Tintin again!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 6 Sep 2020, 11:51 (Ref:4000391)   #3540
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Thompson and Thomson. For Gerard it's Dupont and Dupond.
Max, you must be shy because you've a damn good french culture but you dont spread it up. Bien joué!

As to Thomson, hi-fi and telly brand, I think we had the first car fitted with a real on-board communication at Le Mans. It weighted tons, we had to "décrocher le combiné" to talk with the pits or panneautage located at the exit of Mulsanne corner. Worked fine, exactly like the one we had at home, but what a hassle! Happy days!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 11:53 (Ref:4000392)   #3541
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Again, what a thread with happy people, friendly and relaxed ambiance, great pics and useful infos, thank you all watchers and contributors. Thanks bauble.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 17:15 (Ref:4000558)   #3542
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
Again, what a thread with happy people, friendly and relaxed ambiance, great pics and useful infos, thank you all watchers and contributors. Thanks bauble.
Even if the spelling is a bit dodgy in some of the infos !!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 17:15 (Ref:4000559)   #3543
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Max, you must be shy because you've a damn good french culture but you dont spread it up. Bien joué!

I love Herge's work, I used to read it in the original French and try to spot the puns the translators missed. I had a glorious French teacher at primary school (she was French herself) and she gave me a love of all things Gallic.

Sadly, life contrived to keep me in the UK and the last couple of times I've been back it wasn't the France I fell in love with. Plus my grasp of the language has slipped through lack of practice. Maybe one day I'll be able to become fluent again.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 6 Sep 2020, 18:26 (Ref:4000574)   #3544
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I can't imagine learning any language from Tintin, Max, specially Haddock's gentle insults like bachibouzouk, crétin des Alpes (something which really existed in F). Iconoclaste works anytime!
Strange enough Hergé made some special editions in french patois like cht'i, typical ancestral language from our North. They are very much sought after and make some money, "Les bijoux de la Castafiore" became " Les Pinderlots de l'Castafiore! I guess John E knows that.
Trying to stick to the thread we already talked about the cars like a famous Lancia.

GC when we mention the spelling its only to tease you, you're perfect at 99,99%. Very few opportunities for us to show off!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 19:53 (Ref:4000599)   #3545
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Don't worry Gerard, I don't take it to heart. It's nice to know you appreciate the pictures and the little bit of history that goes with them.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 14:21 (Ref:4000772)   #3546
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ho yes, some history about the car or the driver or meeting and even about the photographer himself is always enjoyable.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 19:28 (Ref:4000816)   #3547
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
I was going to ask the same thing, but I've now had a look at TSL Timing who have it down as a Bristol 450 Replica. A very quick bit of Googling brings up...

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.a...ristol_450.php

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_450

As a child I had a Dinky car version of the Bristol. One of my favourites simply because it was so different to almost anything else.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 23:29 (Ref:4000850)   #3548
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Must been many fun hours playing it. Certainly looked very distinctive compared to others of that era
Old 8 Sep 2020, 05:56 (Ref:4000871)   #3549
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crikey! We had better re-name this thread the Cheddars Photographic History Lesson.

I have been busy for a few days, Snetterton, reports to write pictures to edit blah be blah be blah.
So a hurried entry of left overs to get in groove again; I will try and do etter next time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0819.JPG   IMG_0830.JPG   IMG_1870.JPG  

IMG_2440.JPG   IMG_2466.JPG   IMG_2439.JPG  

Old 8 Sep 2020, 11:26 (Ref:4000908)   #3550
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Good to have you and your wonders back, Bob. Special thanks for Tintin car as seen in The Calculus Affair! Hope Max noticed that JM Fangio was replaced by a famous English driver in this version of L'affaire Tournesol…*