Old 14 Dec 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1484292)   #1
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gran Turismo 5 - Wishlist

Hi All,
So I'm playing around on GT4 thinking it's pretty good, but I don't think it can be classed as great. I started thinking about what would make it better, things that should be in GT5 when it comes out. It's a given that GT5 will be for the PS3, so it should be capable of so much more... here's some bits that I've already thought of:
Day changes to Night: you do a 24hr race and it's always day...
Changable weather: more specifically, random weather. After all, the weather rarely stays the same for an entire day. It would be cool to start an endurance race and have to come in for rain tyres!
Weather effects on car: Cold weather=more horsepower, and lower pressure in the tyres
Mechanical failures/punctures: maybe not enough for a retirement, but enough to make you have to limp back to the pits
Realistic Damage: Why haven't they done this already? Project Gotham can do it, even Grand Prix Legends had it, and that's almost 8 years old!
Ferrari's, Lamborghinis, Porsches etc: If Microsoft can get the licenses, it's time for Sony to get their wallets out!
Car interiors: When you select the view with the rear view mirror, you're obviously inside the car, so you should be able to see the dash!
More weather detail, specifically wind: it has an effect in the real world, and drafting is much more noticable against a good headwind.
More tracks: Spa, Silverstone and Brands Hatch are world famous, so where are they?
More decent cars: Yes, GT4 has over 750 cars, but how many of those are big steaming piles of poo?

I did think of a couple other bits, but forgot them. Feel free to add your own, and if anyone has an address for Polyphony Digital so that all the ideas can be forwarded to them please let me know!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1484298)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I think the Bike game is out first.

I have experience in the games industry. Damage is a real issue. Would you pay an extra $10 for a a game if it had damaged. Building damaged models takes time, so would you be happy to have less cars (in GT4, yes probably as they have a silly amount of cars). Some manufactures just say No, point blank, so what happens then, do you leave them out, do you have limtied damage on them? Every company has different criteria.

For example one big company won't allow your car tip on 2 wheels more than 7 degrees. Another wont allow any damage to the safety cell while a third company won't allow any fire or smoke.

So, lets say GT4 has 60 brands, thats a lot of different criteria, rules and regs. Although PGR3 is very impressive for getting to many in.

However, in saying all that, it does seem to be getting easier and companies are getting more flexible. Licencing is a big problem generally.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1484304)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racing against more than 6 cars, for God's sake!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1484306)   #4
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Not allowing a car to get more than 7 degrees on two wheels... hmmm, that wouldn't be the Merc A Class after the now infamous Elk test would it? haha!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1484502)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My wishlist mainly revolves around the addition of more cars, and what you can do with them, and dispensing with umpteen variations of the same Japanese model which appeared in GT4. If you didn't see this thread I started back in April, Pete, this may interest you:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67567
Old 15 Dec 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1484506)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Racing against more than 6 cars, for God's sake!
Yes, absolutely. I think screenshots of GT5 have shown that they have addressed this quite dramatically.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 08:44 (Ref:1484514)   #7
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
le mans - 60 cars, now that'd make the 24hrs more entertaining! Um, a Bugatti Veyron would be a nice addition too, but generally share the cars out more equally between countries and dump all the crap. Who has actually bothered to drive the pre-1900 motors? Wasted effort...

And some proper online play, that's where most of the fun is these days.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1484705)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More real circuits.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1484760)   #9
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
John: Just looked through your thread, there's some cracking cars in there that really should have been included! One in particular that stood out was the Jag XJS TWR edition. I saw several car lists before GT4 came out that said that this would be included, which seemed like it would be the case, as a friend bought chassis #001, and it's owner said that it had been scanned for the game. My friend had bought it purely to sell on, and it would have been a good USP to be selling a car that is in one of the best selling games of all times!
The Bugatti Veyron would have been in the game I reckon, except that it took them several years to make it driveable in the real world! I got bored one night and wondered what the slowest fast lap was around the Nurburgring was. The obvious choice was the pre 1900 Benz, but alas it never even made it to the start line! The slightest whiff of a hill and it just stops! I eventually got a 17'43" in a Subaru 360...
More cars would be brilliant, and some of the 1960's GP cars wouldn't go a miss either: like an up to date Grand Prix Legends!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1484808)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
Who has actually bothered to drive the pre-1900 motors? Wasted effort...
I did, it was excruciating...
And that's putting it mildly.

20 Km/h down the straight at the Nürb *phwooaarrr*
Old 15 Dec 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1484868)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes more real circuits, instead of 100s of layouts of the crap ones or fantasy ones or hell and why is Motegi always in it?
More good european circuits.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1484960)   #12
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a complete rebuild of the game engine.

fix the cars. examples: the esperante gtr-1 lists as over 1000kg when it raced at le mans ~950kg. the 905 should be the second fastest car in the game behind the fgts. i seriously doubt a f1 based gearbox really takes that long to shift.

remove the open wheel cars and place the 3.5l cars as the top dogs. 93 peugoet 905b, toyota ts010s from 92 and 93 as well as the 91 sauber and jaguar 3.5l cars. xjr9/12/14/14gtp.

more of todays cars, zytek, oreca/doran dallara judds and the roll center dallara nissan. audi r10, r8r (from sebring and le mans) and r8c. bentley exp speed 8 as well as the speed 8 thats already included. bring back the 98 gt-one since it race under gt1 rules unlike the 99 that races as a lmgtp as well as the clr-lm. more pescarolo sports such as the porsche and "factory nissan" entys in 99(?). nissan 391 (the open top) ... i could go on ... heh

proper class racing. i dont want to race a 04 pescarolo sport against 4 other group c cars and a ford gt40 that cant stay on the road.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1484975)   #13
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one more thing ... a proper cockpit view.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1485052)   #14
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
OK, got another one: been playing random races tonight, trying different cars on the 'Ring. Chose the Beetle, got a faily level playing field, but in the middle was the Dodge Hemi pickup. What the hell? Chose a 2CV, and the other cars were simply faster. The only way you'd ever beat them is if they all crashed and burned. Which won't happen in GT4... The Merc 300SL Gullwing was pitched against Mazda RX7s, Mitsubishi C-Z3, Lexus GS300, surely a better challenge would be the old Ginetta, E-Type Jag etc?
Old 15 Dec 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1485063)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteconnors
One in particular that stood out was the Jag XJS TWR edition. I saw several car lists before GT4 came out that said that this would be included, which seemed like it would be the case, as a friend bought chassis #001, and it's owner said that it had been scanned for the game.
I believe that they scanned at least double the amount of cars that actually appeared on GT4, so let's hope that some of those appear on GT5, along with some new ones. I'm hoping particularly for more Astons and BMWs. I'm not really fussed about open wheelers or old F1 cars, since they really are a separate genre. This, however, is Gran Turismo, which is where I would like to see the main emphasis for cars!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1485069)   #16
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct, it's more a touring game than an actual race simulator game. More competitors (at least 20) plus some kind of parity in races (some races are way too easy, while others you have to beef your car up to extreme levels to compete properly.) My biggest gripe with GT4 is that so many races are single make with no real competition (too easy to beat.) Plus the cars handle more solidly than GT3 so no real seat of your pants driving...
Old 16 Dec 2005, 01:01 (Ref:1485083)   #17
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i wouldnt mind some special attention from some grid girls upon winning the race
Old 16 Dec 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1485199)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA
Plus the cars handle more solidly than GT3 so no real seat of your pants driving...
Ever raced a Polyphony F1 car at Nürbürgring?
Hardly solid at all!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1485338)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would like damage, cockpit views (ala Gotham 3) and a better spread of cars.

i.e get rid of all those pointless Skylines and Supras. I bought all the Skylines and I think they take up about four pages in the garage if my memory is accurate...
Old 16 Dec 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1485348)   #20
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only want a pc version

amazing that nobody has ever tried cloning it to pc...
Old 16 Dec 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1485360)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
luke, GT4 is the first version to include Motegi I think? I agree we need lots of real tracks though.

marcel, the original GT came close to being done for PC, they made a start on it in fact. Fell through though.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1485363)   #22
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Good point marcel, it should be possible to create a PS2 emulator for the pc so that it could read the discs. I had a Spectrum Emulator installed a while back: it was cool playing Dynamite Dan again after so many years!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1485382)   #23
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should be allowed to make helmets, get sponsors and design liveries for your cars. Oh, and some dalara and panoz indycars would be nice too.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1485409)   #24
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
indy cars? but they ain't GT cars, are they? Maybe some more oldies in the rally section could be nice too, and bring back Pikes Peak!!!
Old 17 Dec 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1485725)   #25
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi R10?